Our Offence-Words From Boss Buono!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

midwestlion
Starter

Good point Shi Zi
LFITQ
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:IMHO, what's being missed in this discussion is the sub par performance of the o-line.

The QB's are not getting the time to make 3rd and 4th reads and are lucky to get 2. There hasn't been enough time to wait for deep routes to open up and when the QB's hang on to the ball, they've been getting smacked pretty good.

IMHO, when the o-line gets their collective sh*t together, this will all be a moot point.
One thing I noted in the Eskies game on the weekend was how many times Ricky Ray used only a 2 second drop. By the time the 2nd steamboat was uttered the ball was in the air. Particularly in the second half of the game. More teams seem to be going to the quicker drops due to overall increased defensive team speed. Danny Mac would be proud.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
One thing I noted in the Eskies game on the weekend was how many times Ricky Ray used only a 2 second drop. By the time the 2nd steamboat was uttered the ball was in the air. Particularly in the second half of the game. More teams seem to be going to the quicker drops due to overall increased defensive team speed. Danny Mac would be proud.
And that game plan is predicated on hitting an underneath guy on a timing route. Jump the timing route, disrupt the play.

Which, as Blitz has pointed out, defenses in the CFL are now more or less designed to do.

Also, it's really only effective between the 20s.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
And that game plan is predicated on hitting an underneath guy on a timing route. Jump the timing route, disrupt the play.

Which, as Blitz has pointed out, defenses in the CFL are now more or less designed to do.

Yep much too crowded inside the 20 to count on that pass, as it will get picked pretty quickly with tighter coverage forced on the D automatically.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
cromartie wrote:
LFITQ wrote:

Yep much too crowded inside the 20 to count on that pass, as it will get picked pretty quickly with tighter coverage forced on the D automatically.
Sorta like Buck's second pick on thursday.......
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Danny Mac certainly extended his career with that two yard pass and if it was intercepted...well what the heck..

You bring up an excellent point LFITQ. In the days before the shotgun was used exclusively, quarterbacks used 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drops. The three step drop was a very quick pass, designed to go to a hot reciver on a quick slant or 'pop' pass. It was effective against blitzing defenses. Using the 3, 5, and 7 step quarterback drops teams mixed up the length of the paterns of the primary receivers.

They also had a number of plays they ran off it. For example Matt Dunnigan used to fake the quick pass and then hand off on a semi- liberty reverse sweep to Larry Key, with the two guards leading him around. Sometimes quarterbacks would take the short drop, fake the quick pass, and then continue to drop back another two steps and throw it deep.

Deception was more of a factor, both in the running game and the passing game, before the days of the spread offence and the shotgun snap!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
They also had a number of plays they ran off it. For example Matt Dunnigan used to fake the quick pass and then hand off on a semi- liberty reverse sweep to Larry Key, with the two guards leading him around.
Ah Blitz, no way were those two teammates on the Lions unless I'm working on more concusions than Dave D. However, it's a moot point.
Blitz
Team Captain

Ah Blitz, no way were those two teammates on the Lions unless I'm working on more concusions than Dave D. However, it's a moot point.
Nope Lionheart...you're mental faculties are very sharp...I'm the one with the concussion (actually I've had three)

Who I should have said was Dunnigan handing off to Tony Cherry on a counter sweep after a fake quick pass. It was a play that was very successful for the Leos during that time!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:IMHO, what's being missed in this discussion is the sub par performance of the o-line.

The QB's are not getting the time to make 3rd and 4th reads and are lucky to get 2. There hasn't been enough time to wait for deep routes to open up and when the QB's hang on to the ball, they've been getting smacked pretty good.

IMHO, when the o-line gets their collective sh*t together, this will all be a moot point.
Not disagreeing with you Lloyd on this front, but Angus Reid's view is different. He said that the O isn't lacking from OL production, as they are able to run the ball better than they have in recent years and sacks are way down. So it must be directed elsewhere, QB, RB or R are the only ones left on that list....as per his TEAM 1040 AM interview this morning.
Blitz
Team Captain

So it must be directed elsewhere, QB, RB or R are the only ones left on that list....as per his TEAM 1040 AM interview this morning.
Well, Rammer it certainly isn't the running backs so that only leaves the QB and R left, based upon his interview!
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
So it must be directed elsewhere, QB, RB or R are the only ones left on that list....as per his TEAM 1040 AM interview this morning.
Well, Rammer it certainly isn't the running backs so that only leaves the QB and R left, based upon his interview!
I have witnessed alot of receivers in the open over the past 4 games, so where does that leave us? Hmmm, I would have never worried about that position going into the season, although I did worry about the OC by committee, and that may yet be the route of the problem, as teams are taking away our primary receiver forcing some quick releases under pressure. Or it may still stem from the OL, not giving enough time for the QB to read his progression, and they have been instructed to dump the ball, or toss it out of bounds to avoid the negative yards when the timing is off.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I know it's just one play, but Buck got tagged quite quickly on a play which he was going to a speedy Paris heading down the sidelines.. would have been a nice thirty yarder or so but he just didn't have that extra half second.

Kinda sums things up there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Blitz wrote:
I have witnessed alot of receivers in the open over the past 4 games, so where does that leave us? Hmmm, I would have never worried about that position going into the season, although I did worry about the OC by committee, and that may yet be the route of the problem, as teams are taking away our primary receiver forcing some quick releases under pressure. Or it may still stem from the OL, not giving enough time for the QB to read his progression, and they have been instructed to dump the ball, or toss it out of bounds to avoid the negative yards when the timing is off.
Get Lyle Green on and more Ian Smart in two back sets. Others have posted ad nauseum on how this will counter the problems of too many 6 receiver sets.

Open guys are being missed for sure and under pressure, it is natural for a QB to look to the safest open guy and last game it was #82 for 10 plays! Get some more time for the guy, boost his confidence and use some of that untapped Lyle Green talent for once. What are they saving that guy for????
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I know it's just one play, but Buck got tagged quite quickly on a play which he was going to a speedy Paris heading down the sidelines.. would have been a nice thirty yarder or so but he just didn't have that extra half second.

Kinda sums things up there.
This has been my observations as well.......the QBs just aren't getting adequate protection to allow for finding receivers who are in the process of getting open.......from a fan view point, we tend to see things with a little "lag".....ie...we see an open receiver at the end of the play, but don't realize that when the protection was breaking down and the QB has to make the decision, the receiver wasn't open yet.
Lloyd