Offensive Co-Ordinator Triumvirate

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Now that we are a full 4 games into it it would seem like the adjustment period from Chaps to our new OC system is going to take some time yet to get the wrinkles out of it. Question is, how long will it be until it bites us. We're winning now which is always the bottom line, but what if we weren't?

- For Chrissakes we have Geroy Frickin' Simon on our team. Please throw him the ball.

- Why oh why oh why are we so obvious on 2nd or 3rd down with a yard to go? I pull my hair out every time they line up for a sneak. My 7 year old daughter knows what coming. It will burn us one day. Can't we be a bit more creative. 2nd and 1...out goes the QB, in comes the sneak play. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

- This offence has an eerie Marcel Bellifueille (in his Rider days ) look to it. 2nd and 7....throw a 5 yard underneath route. Punt.

- So it would seem now that our second string QB is as brittle as our first string QB. For a guy that doesn't play all that much Buck sure gets hurt alot.

- Now that I reflect on DD's previous comments and the tone of his voice combined with his and Buck's play so far this year, do you get the sense that there is a lack of confidence by the players with this OC's system? Every shot I saw of Kruk on the sideline he had a sort of lost look about him.

- The Ticats changed their D strategy and went zone after the first series; and we did nothing to adjust to it. DD mentioned this off the cuff after one of the earlier games. "If the game plan isn't working we need to have a plan B". Regardless of whether you agree with his going public with it or not, it seems kind of accurate wouldn't you say?

We need some creativity. We need some life and some passion in our offence. Put the players into a position to make plays. I understand the need to control the ball, but come on guys let's open this up a bit!!!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

After 4 games, we are starting to have enough of a feel for this new "Offence by Committee" strategy. Maybe not enough to say it "isn't working" but at least enough to say this goes beyond a simple slow start. You can see some players are frustrated and disinterested. We are hearing rumours about how the D is beginning to feel some resentment toward the O because of their lack of production. If it weren't for the fact that we keep winning, I fear that this team would erupt into off field chaos much like what happened in 2005. It certainly does have that feeling when Chaps game planning seemed to be unimaginative back then. Lots of people were calling for his head at that time IIRC. It is way too premature for that kind of talk but clearly I think all the coaches need to sit down and figure out a way to jump start this offence because if they don't, the "L's" will start happening and they may not stop.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Chris Burns made the point post-game that there is not a team in the CFL or pro football that is not "offence by committee". His point is that all the offensive coaches contribute to the game plan and one guy on the day calls the plays. In the Lions case, it is Steff Kruck. He and the Moj got that message from Wally directly.

What I didn't like last night and the turning point in the Lions O confidence was the decision to run on 1 and 15. That seemed to take the steam out of the entire offence and show a lack of confidence in the QB and the offence.

That was a pure, dumb, stupid call that would never have been made by the Chaps or a Burratto. The latter is good at finding plays for a struggling QB to be successful at, Kruck looks good at making his QB look bad based on that single call and the decline of the offence from that point on.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions played a conservative offensive game, limiting the passing game to 60's like production. This is a home game where the Lion fans were waiting for a coming out party. Yet when you think about it, last season the D didn't get going until game 6 of the season, when they finally decided that it was time to have a meeting, I can only hope for the same with the O. The problem though is, that we aren't 2 - 3, we are 4 - 0, so until the L's start popping up, the O won't get into panic mode.

Anyways, it seems to be more of a QB problem, as there were receivers open, just that BP seemed to either go to the 1st read, or dump off to the relief valve, or pull the ball and run. Cats got two picks on BP where he never looked off who he was going to, and he paid for two easy picks by doing so. He will look at the game film and I feel confident that he will adjust, just like he did last season after the Winnipeg game, where he guided the ball into the receivers, and the CB was able to come off his coverage and pick the ball. After that game, BP was firing the ball into the receivers regardless of how open they seemed, and had no more problems with floating the ball.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:For Chrissakes we have Geroy Frickin' Simon on our team. Please throw him the ball.
Not only do I agree with your post, I would actually buy a t-shirt with this sentiment on it. :rockin:
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will