GEROY'S head not into the game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

midwestlion
Starter

There were a few times last night that I knew just by watching the way he left the huddle and approached the line of scrimmage that he wasn't getting the ball on that play. I'm sure defenses will be picking up on that too.
It is very hard for any MOP to run decoy routes for two and a half hours. NOt Geroys fault for drifting.
hutch
Champion

tedbear wrote:
hutch wrote:Who knows what happened there, much like the entire offence maybe he had no clue what the OC called...Who is this bum we have at OC?
Special teams coach had two fingers up the minute they scored the touchdown and held them up for a good 30 seconds. Geroy was sulking at the end of the bench and complaining to who would ever listen. Although I can understand Geroys frustruation. He is not helping his cause by complaining and sulking. I lost a lot of respect for Geroy tonight.
You lost a lot of respect for Geroy because you think he was sulking on the bench?? A guy has to do a lot more then make an error on one play for me to lose respect for him...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You can't fault Geroy Simon for the QBs not finding him. If you have 6 receivers, you have 6 options. They are just not like Dickenson finding the Geroy option yet.

Remember that the Lions haven't this year given Buck Pierce the game reps he 's needed to be as sharp as he has been in the past. That comes with playing. They chose to play Jackson more. It shows at times.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
midwestlion
Starter

You can't fault Geroy Simon for the QBs not finding him. If you have 6 receivers, you have 6 options.
To add to that if Pierce is in the game GEROY knows that Pierce is a one read QB. After the play is called Geroy knows if he is gettin the ball or not. And most of the time it is not.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:
Larry Key wrote:Pottinger is a few years away from being a starter. He got wiped out a few times by their O man, especially on Lumsden's long run.
Pottinger will be crawling under his chair in the film room when that one comes up. As the kids would say, he got "pwned". It was a terrific block, mind you, but Pottinger's technique in trying to shed it was non-existent.
A learning situation for Pottinger alright. Cats were smart to exploit on both his lack of experience and his enthusiasm. While on the other side, Jamal Johnson fought off two blockers and made a tackle on JL, what an awesome play, almost as good as his two runs for tackles on ST. He is beginning to make that trade for Gesser look like one of the best trades ever from a Lions perspective.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionut
Hall of Famer

No star player is going to be happy if he isn't getting the ball enough. Some of them are just better at hiding it than others. Put another way, there is an inner "T.O." in all of them. It's understandable -- any great athlete has a healthy ego, and wants to be "the guy". That drive to be the best is part of what makes them great. Having coached for a long time, I've seen this up close, so it doesn't bother me like it might otherwise. A smart, experienced coach like Wally will just stay away from Geroy when he's stewing a bit, rather than confront him and make everything worse.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:No star player is going to be happy if he isn't getting the ball enough. Some of them are just better at hiding it than others. Put another way, there is an inner "T.O." in all of them. It's understandable -- any great athlete has a healthy ego, and wants to be "the guy". That drive to be the best is part of what makes them great. Having coached for a long time, I've seen this up close, so it doesn't bother me like it might otherwise. A smart, experienced coach like Wally will just stay away from Geroy when he's stewing a bit, rather than confront him and make everything worse.
Mario Tremblay vs Patrick Roy comes to mind on your last point.
midwestlion
Starter

Put another way, there is an inner "T.O." in all of them.
There has to be because in the football world you are only as good as your last play or get RELEASED,JOBLESS...blah blah There was some TO in Murphy to and there will be some TO in Clermont aswell when it is time for free agency. Nature of the beast.
Sirona
prospect

Jay Pottinger just needs more playing time in a starting role to improve. I remember last season when Glatt was new in the middle linebacking spot, many fans were down on him for his mistakes learning the position.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sirona wrote:Jay Pottinger just needs more playing time in a starting role to improve. I remember last season when Glatt was new in the middle linebacking spot, many fans were down on him for his mistakes learning the position.
You are correct, another thing that did happen was the Lions took Javier's strengths and started to use them more often, but that was easier to do once there was game film on him. I am sure that Pottinger is going to be a solid LB'er down the road, the best thing is we won and he got to learn on the go.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Lumsden's big run(s) wasn't all Pottinger's "fault". In several instances you can see Javy starting to "spy" Lumsden only to try and bull through the Oline and getting caught up inthe wash rather than trying to use the angles and get to the point of attack. Had Javy moved down the line then he AND Pottinger would have had a better chance to tackle Lumsden after only a couple of yards instead of hanging Pottinger out to dry by himself.

However, not to put the whole blame on Javy either (again it was only a few plays I noticed it), Wally came out took full responsibility for the big run because he said it was his call and his scheme that put the players out of the proper position. Keep in mind that Ritchie's defence's tend to do a lot of gang tackling, so if one person is by himself to make a tackle (as Pottinger was a few times), it probably means that a few players were out of position or something else went horribly wrong.

I think one of hte biggest mistakes was not having Johnson and Pottinger out there together most of the time. The Lions had Washington in quite a bit with Pottinger and Johnson swapping in and out. The Ticats didn't throw the ball enough IMHO to warrant that continual defensive scheme. And it can be noticed by how successful the Ticats were in their running game (one less LB to worry about) and at how successful they were with (what I've been calling all season so far) our soft underbelly with the intermediate passes over the middle. Add another linebacker into the mix that can take the smaller drop (did u see Moreno's interception) and it helps to take that soft underbelly out of the equation and provides you with another larger body to stop the run.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
tedbear
Starter

hutch wrote:
tedbear wrote:
hutch wrote:Who knows what happened there, much like the entire offence maybe he had no clue what the OC called...Who is this bum we have at OC?
Special teams coach had two fingers up the minute they scored the touchdown and held them up for a good 30 seconds. Geroy was sulking at the end of the bench and complaining to who would ever listen. Although I can understand Geroys frustruation. He is not helping his cause by complaining and sulking. I lost a lot of respect for Geroy tonight.
You lost a lot of respect for Geroy because you think he was sulking on the bench?? A guy has to do a lot more then make an error on one play for me to lose respect for him...
Sorry Hutch I don't think he was sulking I could see it with my own two eyes and probably every other fan who was watching him that sat behind the Leos bench. Even Rintoul made a comment about it.

Hey don't get me wrong I love Geroy, but I also love my team and although I agree they need to do more to get Geroy involved in the offensive game plan. When I go home at night I care more that we won than how many catches Geroy made. I am a Lions fan first and when I see a player sulking and complaining on the bench and I dont care who it is. I lose a lot of respect for that player, especially when it takes him out of his game and causes him to miss a special teams play causing us to have to burn a timeout.

Having said that I know he was frustruated and I expect nothing less than a solid effort from him the next game and the rest of the season.
David
Team Captain

BEEECEEE wrote:WTF, geroy forgot that he was suppose to be in on the 2 point. Thats not the real Geroy we know. Whats wrong with him. Just sums up the whole offense.
It happened to Alexis Bwenge too on an important play in the 4th quarter. Everyone on the field was yelling to the sidelines, so he had to strap on his lid and dash the "path of shame" from sideline to huddle. As far as I could determine, he thought it was jumbo unit when it was just a regular short-yardage play. Something like that.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Maybe everyone can yell at Alexis to teach him how to actually throw a block on a kick return too. That was horrendous.