Our Third String Quarterback Tonight!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

darnellclash
Starter

Anderson played QB in high school for Terry Fox Sec and won the AAA championship at BC Place so I think he is the obvious choice ....although I was a QB in grade 8 so I will bring my cleats with me just in case. :beer:
It is what it is.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

darnellclash wrote:Anderson played QB in high school for Terry Fox Sec and won the AAA championship at BC Place so I think he is the obvious choice ....although I was a QB in grade 8 so I will bring my cleats with me just in case. :beer:
Hey!! You're in line after me!! Right Blitz? :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Imagine of BP, JJ get injured. Then Macallum gets injured too. Bret Anderson would have to drive the ball down the field, get the TD, take the convert and take the kickoff. That would be nuts!
Plus, if there's a fire, he knows how to put it out!
LFITQ
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
almo89 wrote:Imagine of BP, JJ get injured. Then Macallum gets injured too. Bret Anderson would have to drive the ball down the field, get the TD, take the convert and take the kickoff. That would be nuts!
Plus, if there's a fire, he knows how to put it out!
Let's hope the Lions O is on fire and he DOESN'T put it out!!!! :cr:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If our O has the break out game we are all hoping to see, maybe BA takes over in the 4th with the lions up by 40. :cr:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Breakout game still pending....
wildthing
All Star

Looking like the Leos need to find another QB quick as well. Thankfully you didn't have JJ go down but I called it that another real QB should have been rostered, BA would not have engineered anything against a determined TiCats and this game was too close for wally's comfort to put the ball in a jack of all trades handsif the need arose
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Bringing in a new 3rd string QB in a short week would have been fruitless.......there's no way the guy could be up to speed to contribute even slightly tonight.........BA would still be the better option.

I would expect that Buono will have a new QB signed by saturday if DD is out for an extended period of time.
That is what Wally said this week, but unless he expects DD back next week, it would have been one more weeks worth of preperation for the 4th QB. I held high hopes of the decision meaning DD was very close to returning, however the picture of him on the sidelines wasn't painting that story. Wally did pass along on the TEAM this AM, that he has put the word out to O'Bie for some QB support......
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:Looking like the Leos need to find another QB quick as well. Thankfully you didn't have JJ go down but I called it that another real QB should have been rostered, BA would not have engineered anything against a determined TiCats and this game was too close for wally's comfort to put the ball in a jack of all trades handsif the need arose
If you think this, then you must not be watching other teams 3rd stringers over the years who have been on their rosters for a period of time.

There was no time for a guy to learn the offence and be able to make plays.

Why would you divide up the reps in practice to try and get a third guy here and acclimated when you have your no. 2 QB with very limited game time this season - Buck has had less reps in games than the no. 3 guy if I am right.

You 'd be better to have a guy like Bret Anderson who knows the plays and is a smart guy handing off to Joe Smith and Ian Smart and maybe tossing the odd pass.

Finding that third QB quickly is not like ordering a pizza up after midnite!

Wally to OB: Call the player pool and get me a QB signed for next Thursday's game. I want him here tomorrow for 3 days of practice.

OB: What size would you like? Right or left handed? What astrological sign would you prefer?

Wally (post game to OB after the 3rd guy had to play): OB, that guy was bad!!!

OB: You didn't tell me the guy had to actually be able to play!!!!!
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
wildthing
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:
wildthing wrote:Looking like the Leos need to find another QB quick as well. Thankfully you didn't have JJ go down but I called it that another real QB should have been rostered, BA would not have engineered anything against a determined TiCats and this game was too close for wally's comfort to put the ball in a jack of all trades handsif the need arose
If you think this, then you must not be watching other teams 3rd stringers over the years who have been on their rosters for a period of time.

Why would you divide up the reps in practice to try and get a third guy here and acclimated when you have your no. 2 QB with very limited game time this season - less reps in games than the no. 3 guy if I am right. You 'd be better to have a guy like Bret Anderson who knows the plays and is a smart guy handing off to Joe Smith and Ian Smart and maybe tossing the odd pass.
the guy doesn't need a ton of reps and can get what he needs on scout team offense. Buck and JJ get the real reps. With a real QB it is simple to run a generic/school yard offense offense and you at least have a guy that is fully skilled at the QB position. BA would fair no better at QB than a guy coming in last week mark words on that. Dude may be versatile but the most important position in the offense is not a throw in position for anyone. Anyone going into that spot is looking for trouble so again why not at least have a skilled guy come in. In the huddle its simple, your runs you just tell call by gap. Your passes the receivers can say lay out the routes they run based on the call from the bench and you have a true QB throwing the ball. I played Qb in peewee and highschool and ther eis no way i could go into a CFL game with that and suceed so how could you expect BA to? That is foolishness.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

wildthing, you make my heart sing. You make everything groovy.

wildthing.

Eskimos are coming......look behind you!!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Why would you divide up the reps in practice to try and get a third guy here and acclimated when you have your no. 2 QB with very limited game time this season - less reps in games than the no. 3 guy if I am right. You 'd be better to have a guy like Bret Anderson who knows the plays and is a smart guy handing off to Joe Smith and Ian Smart and maybe tossing the odd pass.
the guy doesn't need a ton of reps and can get what he needs on scout team offense. Buck and JJ get the real reps. With a real QB it is simple to run a generic/school yard offense offense and you at least have a guy that is fully skilled at the QB position. BA would fair no better at QB than a guy coming in last week mark words on that. Dude may be versatile but the most important position in the offense is not a throw in position for anyone. Anyone going into that spot is looking for trouble so again why not at least have a skilled guy come in. In the huddle its simple, your runs you just tell call by gap. Your passes the receivers can say lay out the routes they run based on the call from the bench and you have a true QB throwing the ball. I played Qb in peewee and highschool and ther eis no way i could go into a CFL game with that and suceed so how could you expect BA to? That is foolishness.
I didn't suggest that Brett Anderson would shoot the lights out if he went into the game, just that he knows the plays and has proven to be able to play when called upon without going to TC.

First off, you don't seem to know what is going on in the Lions camp right now so don't seem to know the rationale for Wally not listening to your advice on the third guy coming pre-last night's game.

Why do you think the Lions cancelled the normal day before game 'walk through' to have a regular practice this week the day before the game? I will tell you why. They did this as they needed the most reps they could get for both Buck and Jarius - the two back ups. Now I repeat. Bringing a third guy into this situation is dumb if you expected him to play this week!!! Buck has not had the game reps he should have had and I am sure that factored into the Lions situation.

Now your QB credentials are superb but have you heard the nomenclature at the pro level versus your pee wee level 23 dive on two? Sorry but I'm howling with laughter at your explanation of how easy it is for this new QB to learn the team's running game.

I am even more hysterical that some new guy could learn enough running the scout team to be able to play for the BC Lions. It seems you'd be able to make a better case for this mysterious third QB to have entered the game for Hamilton after a couple of days of practice running scout team Hamilton plays.

One final point about the Lions QB factory. They give players the chance to get decent reps in practice with the no. 1 team. Few teams in the CFL ever find the no. 3 QB getting quality reps anywhere near the first team offence!!!

If you were wanting a third guy to come in and get 3 sessions in believing he had to play the next game means the reps with your no. 1 offence come at the expense of the other QBs.

My view is "foolishness"??!!! Got a mirror anywhere's handy there wild thing???

From the sounds of your post, I'd have guessed you were/are a tight end.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
wildthing
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

I didn't suggest that Brett Anderson would shoot the lights out if he went into the game, just that he knows the plays and has proven to be able to play when called upon without going to TC.

First off, you don't seem to know what is going on in the Lions camp right now so don't seem to know the rationale for Wally not listening to your advice on the third guy coming pre-last night's game.

Why do you think the Lions cancelled the normal day before game 'walk through' to have a regular practice this week the day before the game? I will tell you why. They did this as they needed the most reps they could get for both Buck and Jarius - the two back ups. Now I repeat. Bringing a third guy into this situation is dumb if you expected him to play this week!!! Buck has not had the game reps he should have had and I am sure that factored into the Lions situation.

Now your QB credentials are superb but have you heard the nomenclature at the pro level versus your pee wee level 23 dive on two? Sorry but I'm howling with laughter at your explanation of how easy it is for this new QB to learn the team's running game.

I am even more hysterical that some new guy could learn enough running the scout team to be able to play for the BC Lions. It seems you'd be able to make a better case for this mysterious third QB to have entered the game for Hamilton after a couple of days of practice running scout team Hamilton plays.

One final point about the Lions QB factory. They give players the chance to get decent reps in practice with the no. 1 team. Few teams in the CFL ever find the no. 3 QB getting quality reps anywhere near the first team offence!!!

If you were wanting a third guy to come in and get 3 sessions in believing he had to play the next game means the reps with your no. 1 offence come at the expense of the other QBs.

Just a realist toopy not a tight end. Understanding that no matter how much talent BA has, he isn't someone you want as the 3rd stringer. CFL allows you to dress 3 QBs with no hit to the remainder of the roster. Wally blew a chance to have a QB dressed and essential left a roster spot vacant.

As for finding a QB, there are some floating on PR's all over the league, scoop one and dress them its gives you a QB in desperate times. He did it last year with a kicker (Pikula) so he isn't above the practice. Instead of now Wally will be tradin JC for Darian Durant :cr: because all teams will protecting QBs, since wally rips people off for them when he trades them away.
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:
wildthing wrote:

Just a realist toopy not a tight end. Understanding that no matter how much talent BA has, he isn't someone you want as the 3rd stringer. CFL allows you to dress 3 QBs with no hit to the remainder of the roster. Wally blew a chance to have a QB dressed and essential left a roster spot vacant.

As for finding a QB, there are some floating on PR's all over the league, scoop one and dress them its gives you a QB in desperate times. He did it last year with a kicker (Pikula) so he isn't above the practice. Instead of now Wally will be tradin JC for Darian Durant :cr: because all teams will protecting QBs, since wally rips people off for them when he trades them away.
As IR, Pikula was released outright by the Riders, and it was two weeks later that Wally became in need of a P/K. I am sure that the word was put out to O'Bie to try and round up a QB for the near future last week, but it will take time to make a decision on who that will be in the end. One thing to remember also is that once you burn a neg roster QB by bringing him up, you have to keep him or he is a FA available to all other teams, a delicate balance to consider for the long term management of the club.
Entertainment value = an all time low