Our Third String Quarterback Tonight!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Well, we go into tonights game with only two bonafide quarterbacks..Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson. Here's hoping we only need one and at the very worst two, as Buck nurses his hand injury.

However, if we had to go to a third string quarterback it will be Bret Anderson. Not only is he a backup reciever who can step into all receiver positions, a back up punter, place kicker, and also performs kickoffs but he is the guy who would go behind center in a worse case scenario tonight.

Geroy can throw a football well, for a non-quarterback but he wouldn't be a good choice. Anderson is an excellent athlete and this is another example of his versatility. He is such a quick study it's amazing. He can go from being a fireman to pick up an offence and step into action almost immediately. No wonder Wally likes to have him on the squad!!

I still think Rammer would have been a great choice for third quarterback tonight but his talent would have been intimidating for Pierce and Jackson...so it was best to keep him in the stands..their loss!! :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I'm available, but I will need to get a sitter. :rockin:
wildthing
All Star

I am shocked that a QB hasn't been brought in for depth. After the rider game I think the entire league sees how important that 3rd QB may be and the need to have someone capable of doing it. Why waste a roster spot on DD if there is a QB on PR. DD can sit on the IR and not be touched and a true QB versus a guy like Anderson or Geroy if BP and JJ end up injured might be the difference between a W and an L
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:I am shocked that a QB hasn't been brought in for depth. After the rider game I think the entire league sees how important that 3rd QB may be and the need to have someone capable of doing it. Why waste a roster spot on DD if there is a QB on PR. DD can sit on the IR and not be touched and a true QB versus a guy like Anderson or Geroy if BP and JJ end up injured might be the difference between a W and an L
Don't be. It's Hamilton.

Why not, you guys waste one on Joseph!! :tease:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

LION82 should play qb lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Blitz
Team Captain

I am shocked that a QB hasn't been brought in for depth. After the rider game I think the entire league sees how important that 3rd QB may be and the need to have someone capable of doing it. Why waste a roster spot on DD if there is a QB on PR. DD can sit on the IR and not be touched and a true QB versus a guy like Anderson or Geroy if BP and JJ end up injured might be the difference between a W and an L
I'm sure the Leos are going to look at bringing in another quarterback, depending on the assessment of Dickenson. However, the value of a third string quarterback was underestimated by some on Lionbackers during training camp.

We already knew Dickenson's past injury record and Buck has also gotten dinged a little in the past! It's not a spot where I want to have a developmental player. Don't forget Buck got his opportunity when both Dickenson and Printers were hurt.

I'd rather have Jarious as our third stringer and have a fourth string quarterback on the practice roster, slowly picking up our system!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm available, but I will need to get a sitter.
I thought you were allowed out now lionguy without the sitter having to go with you!! :wink:

You'll have to start as a walk on with the second string Lionbackers squad. There are no easy rides to the top!!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
I'm available, but I will need to get a sitter.
I thought you were allowed out now lionguy without the sitter having to go with you!! :wink:

You'll have to start as a walk on with the second string Lionbackers squad. There are no easy rides to the top!!
Check out my sitter, you'd stay home too Blitz! :towel:

Like my brothers Pierce and Jackson I will patiently wait my turn and continue to work hard and say th right things! :rockin:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Bringing in a new 3rd string QB in a short week would have been fruitless.......there's no way the guy could be up to speed to contribute even slightly tonight.........BA would still be the better option.

I would expect that Buono will have a new QB signed by saturday if DD is out for an extended period of time.
Lloyd
almo89
Legend

Imagine of BP, JJ get injured. Then Macallum gets injured too. Bret Anderson would have to drive the ball down the field, get the TD, take the convert and take the kickoff. That would be nuts!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Imagine of BP, JJ get injured. Then Macallum gets injured too. Bret Anderson would have to drive the ball down the field, get the TD, take the convert and take the kickoff. That would be nuts!
Would he have to hold for himself too??
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
However, if we had to go to a third string quarterback it will be Bret Anderson. Not only is he a backup reciever who can step into all receiver positions, a back up punter, place kicker, and also performs kickoffs but he is the guy who would go behind center in a worse case scenario tonight.

Anderson is an excellent athlete and this is another example of his versatility. He is such a quick study it's amazing. He can go from being a fireman to pick up an offence and step into action almost immediately. No wonder Wally likes to have him on the squad!!
Undoubtedly the most underrated, under sung, and one of the greatest assets to the team. The complete package as you have said.

I love this guy and he deserves more credit and to be recognized for his contributions to this team. He reminds me of Lui in that he does so many things so well.

I used to love to see Lu pull down an intended punt if he knew there was no way he could get it away safely, and find an open head-up eligible receiver for the first down.

Bret came out of retirement this season to help make us Champions again because he believes, and I'll wager that if he is call upon to be our third Qb tonight (God forbid it) he will not disappoint us.

Did I mention he is also a fearless hero, he has to be to run headlong into certain peril to
save a strangers life at the cost of his own. :s:
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
almo89
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
almo89 wrote:Imagine of BP, JJ get injured. Then Macallum gets injured too. Bret Anderson would have to drive the ball down the field, get the TD, take the convert and take the kickoff. That would be nuts!
Would he have to hold for himself too??
LOL no, I think he will use one of those practice holders.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is there any position that Anderson can't play ? :wink:
wildthing
All Star

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Bringing in a new 3rd string QB in a short week would have been fruitless.......there's no way the guy could be up to speed to contribute even slightly tonight.........BA would still be the better option.

I would expect that Buono will have a new QB signed by saturday if DD is out for an extended period of time.
respectfully disagree. A guy who is a QB by trade even on a short week stands a better chance than a jack of all trades like BA. At least a QB brought in understands the QB position and the ever so important exchange from centre since his job is always been behind centre. I don't think it will matter tonite but I hope for BC's sake they don't need hindsight to see the mistake here.