Perry shot to the head

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Nice leading with the helmet by Perry to take out DD. That is supposed to be a penalty this year.

Yet the next play Perry gets smacked by a Murphy forearm and Murphy is given an "Unnecessary roughness" penalty. Gimme a break. Now the Riders D-line players are wearing tutus?? I know we are supposed to protect the QB's, but when a DE gets schooled like Perry did on that play, and Murphy gets a flag, I would be embarassed to be Perry after that. Especially considering he knows what he did illegal just before that.

The one thing I worry about this year is if the officials now start to watch Murphy like a hawk because of what happened last week and actually miss other things that are going on and any little possible infraction they are going to tag him with it. I hope Wally sends a tape to the league with the shot to the head and gets them to speak to the refs about this officiating with blinders on.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Iron Lion
prospect

That reminded me of last year, I dont remember who it was, but he was kicker, punted the ball, and affectively mule kicked a guy coming to block, and the call was roughing the passer. that *poop*.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Nice leading with the helmet by Perry to take out DD. That is supposed to be a penalty this year.

Yet the next play Perry gets smacked by a Murphy forearm and Murphy is given an "Unnecessary roughness" penalty.

The one thing I worry about this year is if the officials now start to watch Murphy like a hawk
Good points.

It seems the Riders D Line has always "managed" to knock out Leos QBs. That head shot was very obvious. It was a deliberate attempt to lay a helmet to the chin of Dickenson. And it was after the ball was away. Not allowed either. The league should penalize it.

Good for Murphy defending Dave D. Murphy might have to try to stay under the radar a bit. That will be tough to do.
.G.
All Star

^that's my biggest worry about murphy now; will he be attracting penalties due to "repuation"? have the refs started to believe the meda hype started by other players?

to the refs it might be one of those things..."well im not sure he did it, but it is murphy, so he probably did it"

hopefully that never comes to fruition
MABEY!
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

My concern is as well that after Murphy took the unnecessary roughness penalty, the O line seemed to lay off a lot and the Rider defensive line was getting through a lot easier. There were a few penalties that were not called, but there always is. Considering we have the "dirtiest" players, why is the Riders always seem to send our QB's to the injury list (two this time). Overall, I was thrilled. Sitting here in Osler, SK, I was pretty worried that we would lose this one. By the way, the game was televised on TSN-A here.
Blitz
Team Captain

Murphy deserved the unnecessary roughness penalty. It wasn't just a forearm...he swung the arm hard!

The league is supposed to be protecting quarterbacks from hits to the head. Dickenson needs that protection more than any other CFL quarterback. Perry should have been penalized!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Murphy only knows how to play one way, that is 100 degrees of intensity straight forward. He is a top heavy load for any defensive lineman...

You understand why he has got to play this way when you see our main man DD sitting on the pine with a huge bag of ice on the back of his neck and hurting bad.

It was too costly a win to lose both #1 and #2 quarterbacks in one game, so I am deeply concerned, but does anyone know the extent of damage to Buck's wrist this morning?

I do know he was pulled in favour of JJ for precautionary reasons. :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Murphy is now under the same microscopic scrutiny as Bomber OL Dyson in 2001. He's going to get more than his fair share of penalties than he deserves as a result of the watchful eye.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Murphy is now under the same microscopic scrutiny as Bomber OL Dyson in 2001. He's going to get more than his fair share of penalties than he deserves as a result of the watchful eye.
I hope that scrutiny will be applied to DB's working on top recievers (Simon/Stegall). I saw a few replays where it's not too hard to figure out why Stegall didn't get much, the only thing thats tough to figure out is why Edmonton wasn't flagged. I don't want to ever see NBA-star treatment officiating (Michael Jordan) but at the same time the stars need to be able to show their stuff.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Murphy deserved the unnecessary roughness penalty. It wasn't just a forearm...he swung the arm hard!

The league is supposed to be protecting quarterbacks from hits to the head. Dickenson needs that protection more than any other CFL quarterback. Perry should have been penalized!!
You will always get these kind of penalties when there is no zero tolerance policy from the team for this. Last week even the coach fined the guy with a nudge*nudge*wink*wink attitude. Last night's penalty was not critical but it did stamp out a drive.

The 1040 guys said that Eric Tillman says the hit on DD was a penalty!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The penalty on Rob was deserved but I'm glad he did it despite it putting an end to a drive because you simply can't let shots to your QB go unpunished like that. I can't belive that there was no call on Perry, the CFL really needs to establish some consistency.