Leos Leadership-The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

With the release of Sam Young in Hamilton, whose agent tried to squeeze more money out of the Tiger Cats two days before their next game, I thought it was timely to review the early leadership of our Leos, as we attempt to repeat as Grey Cup Champions. Bill Reichelt said there was a special chemistry on the Leos last season. Player leadership plays a role in chemistry. That special chemistry is not there yet as Reichelt noted. Lets have a closer look:

BACKGROUND:

Wally got rid of the last of the malcontents last season and the whiners from the season before, who stayed, became the leaders they needed to be. Sam Young and Antonio Warren were players who could cause problems when they weren't happy. While I didn't like the way Wally disposed of them he made the right decision in getting rid of them.

Our 2006 season was successful because everyone was happy. Wally said last season, if anyone wasn't he'd be willing to say goodbye to them. Barrin Simpson, unhappy for two seasons, left on his own at the end of 2005. Carl Kidd, unhappy in 2005, accepted his role in 2006, coming off the field on passing downs and became the inspirational leader we needed him to be in order to win a Grey Cup. Dave Dickenson, more worried about himself starting in 2005, provided veteran leadership in 2006. Geroy Simon, miserable and uninspired at times in 2005, took the offence on his shoulders in 2006. The offensive line needed someone to emerge as a leader and Rob Murphy quickly became the 'man'. Angus Reid also stepped up in 2006.

In 2005, in the middle of our win streak, I wrote on Lionbackers that I was very worried about our team..took some heat for it too. Wally didn't appear engaged in games. His lack of sharpness led to all kinds of problems from hanging on to O'Mahoney too long to not making a decision on the starting quarterbaack until game day... when it was obvious it was not helping the team and adding fuel to a fire of the quarterback controversy.

O'Billovich left us high and dry when Mark Washington went down. Lacking depth at defensive back we had to trade with Montreal to get a defensive back to finally solve the problem. The Chap was getting our quarterbacks killed with his six receiver sets and wouldn't change... nor would he stop running Warren into the middle of the line. Too many sports writers and fans focused on the quarterback controversy that season instead of the lack of leadership on our Leos.

Why bring all this old stuff up? Because there are some small signs of a lack of leadership creeping into our Leos this season.

THE GOOD

Leadership starts at the top. Braley and Ackles have always given us the tools to win. Wally, after a lackadisical and often befuddling 2005, was very sharp in 2006. He was engaged in games, decisive, and firm. He provided the leadership we needed to win a Grey Cup. He's been sharp this season as well, fighting against complacency and a lack of focus at practices. He said he's not going to allow it to creep in and he's being vigilant.

Rob Murphy proved that he is a leader the team will rally behind as evidenced by the Edmonton game. Everyone had his back as he's always had theirs. While Wally never mentioned the player directly last season it was Paris who 'blocked like a girl'! No longer. Jackson has taken the next step into being a top echelon reciever. He's more than willing to block and do it well. It's a sign of maturity and being a team player.

On defense Barrin Miles is a rally guy. He's like another coach on the field...and with Ritchie, Roach, and Benevedes on the sidelines the defense has tons of leadership. Miles proved how good a leader he is by playing like a demon in the exhibition season, setting an example for his teammates. We haven't seen anyone step up to take Carl Kidd's leadership role and on special teams yet..it's mostly been by committee but there are a lot of leaders on the defense from Brent Johnson, Otis Floyd, Mark Washington, and an emerging Javy Glatt.

Bob O'Billovich and his staff have also provided excellent leadership. Their off-season recruiting has provided the best depth of Canadian and import talent I've seen on the Leos since their arrival and perhaps ever. Some posters may wonder about having so many defensive backs on the roster but all you have to do is remember Washingon hurt in 2005, Tiller having to move from nickel to halfback, and getting destroyed by Winnipeg's offence and you realize you can't have too many of them.

THE BAD

There is a difference between going after something and the pressure that comes with being a Grey Cup champion with high expectations. Our defensive players have responded to that challenge but our receivers haven't so far. There have been more dropped balls at practice so far this season than the entire season last year. The two co-offensive coordinators don't make catches at practice. Routes haven't been sharp and Dickenson has not been sharp at practices or games so far this season.

Somone needs to step up, outside of Rob Murphy and the offensive line, and take the player leadership reins on our offence. That's usually the quarterbacks job but Dickenson so far hasn't been able to provide it. Last season, with Clermont hurt, Geroy said he wanted to take the offence on his back. Perhaps it's time for Geroy to step up and do it again. Jason Clermont has always been a class act and perhaps he needs to assume that role if Geroy is not providing it. Paris Jackson wants to!

The defense is starting to get frustrated with the players on the offence not carrying their share of the load. You can see it at practices when receivers have been upset with defensive backs giving them a shot at practices and the fights and almost fights that have taken place. The defense is trying to wake them up. The receivers haven't liked it..too bad!

Another small sidebar is that our defense has not been welcoming of Dennis Mitchell. He runs a 4.38 40 yard dash and has run it in 4.28. He's probably faster than Simmons. He has outstanding potential, with excellent anticipation skils and he's also someone who could return kicks if Rodgers doesn't get going. However, some of the db's see him as a threat to their positions. Championship teams help young players and that attitude needs to change.

THE UGLY

Dickenson's comments about his offensive coaches didn't sit well with me and other Lionbackers. It's been discussed enough here. The only points I want to make is that an anology would have been Marcus Naslund saying he didn't like Alain Vigneault's new 'defense first' system early last season. Dickenson needs to step up his leadership and his play in order for us to repeat.

Geroy Simon is saying all the right things to the media, like he's happy to have Joe Smith run the football more but but he's whining at practice, like he did in 2005. His negativity can infect the other players. The truth is that Geroy needs to see the football. He's our 'go to' receiver. Last season we probably went to him too much and needed to distribute the ball a little better. However, he needs touches to be happy. To get our offence rolling he needs to be thrown to enough to keep him engaged in games. At the same time he needs to be the leader again that he was in 2006.

Things can change quickly. Our offence could go on a roll! On offence we haven't got the football to our playmakers in the passing game. Geroy can really break down a defense. Simmons is so dangerous. Clermont can steam roll and we saw his big catch last game. Paris Jackson is a talent. Our throws have been off but if we can get the ball into their hands more often we may a more motivated offensive group in the so called 'skilled' positions.

WRAP

It's early and we're 2-0. Our defense has played great and for the most part we're still running the same offence with some good adjustments. However, there are things that need watching. Our leaders on offense have to be leaders and our offensive players have to play at the level we are used to. The players need to support their coaches and teamates. The pressure comes with the territory of being a champion.

On offence our players need to get into the psyche of going for it again rather than thinking we're defending something and to have a little fun doing it. Rob Murphy tried to do that at practice by taping up his shower shoes to look like football boots in walkthrough this week and will be fined for doing it!! Last season our offensive players said they wanted to be the unit this year to lead us to a Grey Cup. They have the opportunity to do that! It's time for our quarterback and receivers to step up and enjoy what they get the chance to do each game...hopefully that starts tonite in Regina!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

A good read as always Blitz, but really.... shouldn't you save something like this until we actually see a tangible problem? We are 2 and 0 heading into a big game and you bring up leadership?

If we win big and this game is looked back on as the catalyst to a GREAT season then your comments are extraneous and ill-timed.

You are considered a "leader" here on this Board. Are comments like this along the same lines as DD's comment on the OC situation? Not the same subject, but the same context. The same comments that might be cause for dissention and not are not necessary? The same comments you are quick to criticize?

Just my 2 cents.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Another insightful post, Blitz. I think it is good to give insights ahead of time, if you have them. They are not slamming anyone.

One thing. I don't care who you are in football. NO one is going to willingly give their job up to a new guy like Dennis Mitchell. For those DBs they are likely cheering for Cory Rodgers, a receiver, to keep Mitchell on the PR. That's just human nature. I don't mean players on the PR should not be treated well, they should. There should be no second class people on a team. Now if you are suggesting that there are hostilities between the backs, that's another thing. I suspect that at some time this guy will get action after the Lions see what Rodgers can do or if they get a nick on a DB.

I am not sure that this team is fully together yet and that might be due to the sputtering offence that has yet to fully ignite.

I do agree that negative comments from players affect a team and it becomes infectious and before long, they are all doing it s it is hard to control. Dave D might have set a negative tone in place with his comments early on and now the risks are that others will follow.

Let's also not forget that the negative DD comments got masked when Abdullah shot his mouth off and created that media and fan frenzy all week pre-Esks game. If not for that outburst by the Esk player and Braidwood's daddy outburtst, the media might have hung on to the DD comments more and that might have affected the gate for the Esks game. Wally said they got more than 6,000 tickets sold for this year's home opener. I think some came due to the controversy. How many fewer would have stayed home if DD's negative comments were still the only story about the Lions is unknown but it could have hurt.

Going into the game tonight, I have heard more media on the crown on Taylor Field than on the opponent. I hope this isn't a pattern this season. I don't recall Joe Kapp or Jerry Tagge or the Canadian Rifle Eric Guthrie blaming the crown for anything. Maybe that explains Don Moorhead's struggles.

Coaches have to listen to the conversations going on in the team and ensure that it is not an environment where complaining and whining is taking priority over personal and team accountability for performance.

I don't think this year's team has established yet its overall team personality despite two wins and no losses.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good discussion, Blitz, and one we need to have. It is harder to repeat as champions than it is to get there the first time. That is part of the problem Wally and the team face.

The *beeotch* and moaning we see snippets of is a concern. That has to stop. Cut the damn the bull sheeeit, and play the game. It is a good thing Murphy has stepped it up and taken more of a leadership role. The little bleating whiners need to follow his and Jiminez' example: just do your jobs and quit fussing about it.

I think Wally is very sharp this year. We were caught off guard no doubt with the Chapdelaine / Cortez moves, but that should not matter. I think I would prefer to stay with the guys we have now, even if Cortez was somehow available. I like what Kruck and Dorazio are doing on offense. Dave D and Geroy better keep their damn yaps shut about that issue.

Dave D was even kind of whining about the team not having fun with its victories yet this year and feeling more pressure this year. Well it might be OK to say that, but DO NOT question your coaching publicly. Not your job. Not good for the team.

I am hoping Wally has the pulse of the team. As I have said a few times on blogs he seems as relaxed as I have ever seen him. Our expectations at this point are approaching and demanding perfection. It is still not clear if we are over-reacting during normal development or if we are correct in perceiving seeds of the kind of poor attitudes that go with poor play and results.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The proof will be in the pudding!!!

You are right, blitz. We are all big boys/girls and can handle analysis.

What I don't like is the number of Lions on radio this week going on and on about how tough a place a play to it is. I hope they dont believe it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
rb
Champion

My analysis is that a couple of people have always been very quick to jump on DD when he does anything wrong, with their criticism-to-praise ratio being out of balance given his record as a QB in this league. And I'll stand by this statement 100%.
Blitz
Team Captain

Me too Toppy Vann!

I'm guessing that you are one of the two guys that rb thinks is too tough on DD! I have high expectations I guess, of a quarterback, especially one who is a veteran, the face of the team, the most interviewed player, a captain, a quarterback who is highly paid. Maybe rb is right...that those expectations are too high and I am too tough on him. I think he's an excellent quarterback when he's on his game..no doubt the best in the league when he is and he has been on a lot in regular season games over the past four seasons, when he's been healthy. Playoffs have sometimes been a different story!

However, my recent criticism has nothing to do with his play. I would say the same things if it was Javy Glatt or Barrin Miles, Angus Reid, Mark Washington, or even my favorite player Rob Murphy. It's pretty hard to take your quarterback saying they aren't having as much fun as last season, after only two games. We were 2-3 to begin last season. Dickenson throws passes at practices and isn't allowed to get hit. Rob Murphy, getting paid almost a third as much as Dickenson, is hitting sleds. I'm sure that's less fun!

In the meantime Murphy is challenged last game, takes up the challenge and goes to war, his face is all marked up from eye gouges, he apologizes to his teammates for getting tossed out of the game, stands up for Valli and Plante and says he's proud of the way they played out there, and says the game was a lot of fun! I prefer that kind of leadership...and I'll stand by that statement 100% too!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
rb
Champion

Actually, Blitz, Toppy is not one of the people to whom I was referring.

So Murphy's eyes are gouged. Dickenson stands in until the last second and gets rocked full bore by guys running at near-top speed who are much bigger than he is. He's played through concussions, separated shoulders, gimpy knees... of course, in some quarters he is accused of being selfish, putting himself ahead of the team, when he does these things.

He hasn't played very well in the first couple of games but I'm happy to have had him here-- even though I would've dumped him in favour of Printers, and then Pierce. :lol:

Show me anybody who has had a microphone shoved in his face that many times, who hasn't made some questionable statements.
Blitz
Team Captain

Show me anybody who has had a microphone shoved in his face that many times, who hasn't made some questionable statements
Very true...but Dickenson has usually handled the media very well. Sure he made the odd slight mistake during the quarterback controversy but overall he's been a smart quarterback offf the field as well as on the field.

He just sounds whiny this season! First of all he whined about the offensive coordinators before we've hardly started the season, he's whining it hasn't been fun, he's whining about playing in Regina. Leaders don't whine. I've never questioned Dickenson's courage. I have questioned him holding the ball too long but then Wally has been all over his butt for years about it. However, that's always been a tendancy of his and it's just something he has to work at.

However, Dickenson sets a tone for the offence. If he was playing well personally then it would be easier to take. We all hate Henry Burris whining and not taking personal responsibility. Dickenson has usually taken personal responsibility if he hasn't played well. He's in some kind of funk right now but hopefully he's going to snap out of it right now as we play Saskatchewan.

However, no one should get a free ride. Carl Kidd was my favorite defensive player but when he was whining in 2005 I was pissed off about it because he was a leader on the team and leaders lead, not complain!!I know how important player leadership is to a team so my hope is Dave will take it on his shoulders and lead us to victory tonight!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention but I haven't got the impression that Dickenson has been whining. I agree with you though Blitz that if he is indeed doing that he needs to cut it out. As the starting QB, you are looked at, or at least you should be, as the #1 leader on the team. If you start making questionable statements in the media, and your attitude starts to reflect those statements it can filter down to the rest of the players. I certainly hope that Dickenson can get back in line with the direction the team is going in and not let any negative thoughts start to hamper the way he goes about business on the field and at practice. What are your thoughts on Buck's leadership? If Dickenson continues to whine, perhaps Buck will be looked at by Wally as somebody to assume control of the offence while Dickenson gets served a slice of humble pie on the sidelines.
ryant
Rookie

I think there is whining going on, I'm just not so sure its the players that are guilty of it. Tell me something, if it had been Geroy or Jason saying that the team wasn't having fun like they used to and that they need to relax, would people have called them whiners or said that they are leaders trying to rally the troups and get the others to stress less. I find it amazing that people can turn that statement into whining. It just goes to show that certain posters are looking for things to attack in specific players. I also find it amazing that anyone (who is not in the dressing room, meeting room, on the field) has a right to call out someones leadership based on small snipets from the very selective media quotes. How do we even know who the leaders of the team are. Contrary to popular belief, yelling at other players on the sidelines (ala Jason Maas) does not constitute leadership. Leading by example, playing tough, helping the younger players and standing up for other players is leadership in my mind. Name me a better leader at QB than DD in the league right now. I doubt you can. I would love for one of the players that posts here to comment on this.

I think that instead of finding something to whine about regarding player comments, we should focus on the fact that this team is 3-0, against 3 good teams. BTW, I think our offensive output in the first game is looking better and better with what I am seeing happen to other teams facing Toronto.

I think people on this site need to have more fun, like they used to.... oh wait I guess I shouldn't whine so much.
Quesdad
Champion

And when Dickenson went out no one was more concerned than his teamates 1) one for their personal attachment to their leader and 2) For the loss of the number one leader which they believe is their ticket to the Grey Cup. Don't be mistaken that they say they can play with Buck or JJ, although they will, they all believe, to a man, the road to repeat is on Dave's arm, and through his leadership!! We can conjecture and admonish based our our own set of values but if we're learning anything from Wally's tenure its those committed to the team, those who put the teams success ahead of their own that stay and win. The motivation to win burns in each of them and the leaders stoke that flame (Even if we don't understand)!.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

ryant wrote:I think there is whining going on, I'm just not so sure its the players that are guilty of it. Tell me something, if it had been Geroy or Jason saying that the team wasn't having fun like they used to and that they need to relax, would people have called them whiners or said that they are leaders trying to rally the troups and get the others to stress less. I find it amazing that people can turn that statement into whining. It just goes to show that certain posters are looking for things to attack in specific players. I also find it amazing that anyone (who is not in the dressing room, meeting room, on the field) has a right to call out someones leadership based on small snipets from the very selective media quotes. How do we even know who the leaders of the team are. Contrary to popular belief, yelling at other players on the sidelines (ala Jason Maas) does not constitute leadership. Leading by example, playing tough, helping the younger players and standing up for other players is leadership in my mind. Name me a better leader at QB than DD in the league right now. I doubt you can. I would love for one of the players that posts here to comment on this.

I think that instead of finding something to whine about regarding player comments, we should focus on the fact that this team is 3-0, against 3 good teams. BTW, I think our offensive output in the first game is looking better and better with what I am seeing happen to other teams facing Toronto.

I think people on this site need to have more fun, like they used to.... oh wait I guess I shouldn't whine so much.
Just because people choose to discuss topics that aren't all rainbows and flowers doesn't mean we're any less of a fan. I thought the purpose of this site was to create discussions about the team and not to simply blow smoke about how great everybody is? I'm a huge Dave Dickenson fan, I was stoked when I heard the news he was coming back to the CFL and was going to be playing for BC. I sure hope that you're not trying to paint me as somebody who is here just simply to bash Dickenson, I'm not.