Gettting Ready For The Riders!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

thunder77 wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
thunder77 wrote:Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
SK leads the league in QB sacks with 13 compared to BC's 8 and Interceptions with 5 compared to BC's 3. As a team Sask leads the league with a +8 compared to BC's +3.
Hey, no fair to cite stats after two games because your guys have played Calvillo and Burris at their worst. The Lions put up 12 sacks on Calvillo in one game last year, and Montreal's line was better then.

On defence I've got to give the edge to the Lions, who return almost all of last year's league-leading unit intact. The new pieces this year (Cameron Wake and Jamall Johnson) are probably upgrades on Chris Wilson and Carl Kidd. The Lions have not given up a TD drive across midfield and, aside from points off turnovers, have given up a total of 7 points to opposing offences in two games. That includes a game against Ricky Ray, who put up 39 points and 5 passing TDs in his other game this year.

On offence, B.C.'s Joe Smith and Ian Smart have been used together like never before to stretch defences or power through them in short yardage. I much prefer B.C.'s receivers to Saskatchewan's, although D.J. Flick seems to be thriving since escaping Hamilton. I like B.C.'s offensive line, but there's nothing wrong with Saskatchewan's either. You already mentioned the B.C. advantage at QB.

Special teams are pretty even but B.C. has a field-goal kicker who was purrfect in the playoffs last year. It seems like he never misses when the game is on the line. :wink

All of this means little, of course, because the game isn't played on paper and we know the Lions have struggled at Mosaic in recent years, especially in the wind. What's the weather forecast?
You've definitely got a point about making judgements this early in the season. the lions and riders have been 1 and 2 in alot of d. stats for a c ouple of years now. Nate Davis' replacement has as many sacks in 2 games as Nate did in 16 games last year and our "new guy" at end, Chick was CONSTANTLY in the backfield last game. Now, having said that I am VERY anxious to see hwo those two do specifically against BC's oline....especially the new guy, Chick who will line up against Murphy or Jimenez. I'd rather not discuss McCallum thank you very much.... :x
I'm not sure TO's oline is the best in the league either and Edmonton's was terrible last year and you only had to play part of the game with Lefsrud back so your points about Mtl and Cgy's lines are kinda a wash IMO.

Bottom line is BC @ SSK is always entertaining.

Cheers!
I am not sure that entertaining is the exact word to describe the play between the two sides, but I do know where you are going with that. Both teams are evenly matched, and above all had better bring 100% effort to the table or will face the wrong side of scoreboard at the games conclusion.

Eitehr side will have some built in excuses for the outcome (short week for the Riders, road game for the Lions), but make no mistake the victor won't care nor should they. I always enjoy these games, and while they aren't the most entertaining, for real football fans they are a priority to watch as it doesn't get more physical.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
What's the weather forecast?
29degrees, 40% POP, 20km winds chance of thundershowers.

Yikes!
From EnvCanada website for Regina on friday:

"Sunny with cloudy periods. 30 percent chance of showers in the morning and afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light in the evening. High 29."

If that wind stays up, it's time for Buono to hand the ball to Buck !!
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
What's the weather forecast?

Yikes!

"Sunny with cloudy periods. 30 percent chance of showers in the morning and afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light in the evening. High 29."

Actually it should be time to hand the ball to the RB's....an area that we should be better than the Riders at this season. Joseph has the arm to combat that wind and it will be interesting to see how the coaching strategy of which direction you take in what quarter plays out in this game. Offenses generally show up for two quarters and the team that capitalizes on those quarters win the game. A clock beating run game game against the wind is also a huge factor for grabbing the W.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote: Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light in the evening. High 29."

Plus, if the game's tight as the clock winds down and McCallum's in range and has the wind at his back, he can just hoist one clear through the end zone, no prob! :bawl:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote: Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light in the evening. High 29."

Plus, if the game's tight as the clock winds down and McCallum's in range and has the wind at his back, he can just hoist one clear through the end zone, no prob! :bawl:
Worked once, ought to work......wait a minute, that sounds like a recipe for failure, what happens if we are down by one? He could potentially shank that punt, or not drive it through the endzone as that wind may carry the ball straight.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Yikes!

Actually it should be time to hand the ball to the RB's....an area that we should be better than the Riders at this season. Joseph has the arm to combat that wind and it will be interesting to see how the coaching strategy of which direction you take in what quarter plays out in this game. Offenses generally show up for two quarters and the team that capitalizes on those quarters win the game. A clock beating run game game against the wind is also a huge factor for grabbing the W.
Agreed Rammer!

A ball controlled ground game against the wind and spread the ball both deep and wide with the wind, multiple targets, to stretch their defense and open up the high percentage game underneath.

Much with depend on the strategy of the kicking/punting game, but lest we forget Paul McCallum's expert experience here where he had much to do with, so many games won at home playing for the green and white.

I like being the underdogs here!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Yikes!

Effectively running the ball is only possible when the defense believes that passing is still a threat........IMHO, DD facing a strong wind does not deliver in that regard. The Lions will find it very tough to establish a run game if they face the wind at the onset.

It's possible that the single most important play/event will be the coin toss.....as DD says it's important to jump out to an early lead........and the only way that will happen is to have the wind advantage in the 1st quarter.
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:It's possible that the single most important play/event will be the coin toss.....as DD says it's important to jump out to an early lead........and the only way that will happen is to have the wind advantage in the 1st quarter.
Agreed. Given B.C.'s offensive struggles in previous visits to Regina, it's important to get off to a good start. Taking the wind in the first quarter is not a conventional strategy. Even if Saskatchewan wins the toss, the Lions may get to choose which end to defend in the first quarter.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:It's possible that the single most important play/event will be the coin toss.....as DD says it's important to jump out to an early lead........and the only way that will happen is to have the wind advantage in the 1st quarter.
Agreed. Given B.C.'s offensive struggles in previous visits to Regina, it's important to get off to a good start. Taking the wind in the first quarter is not a conventional strategy. Even if Saskatchewan wins the toss, the Lions may get to choose which end to defend in the first quarter.
Now that I think about it..........when there are windy conditions, the coin toss winners usually defer their choice to the 2nd half so they can have the wind in the 4th quarter.........so if getting the wind in the 1st quarter is a priority for the Lions, they should get it no matter the coin toss.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Now that I think about it..........when there are windy conditions, the coin toss winners usually defer their choice to the 2nd half so they can have the wind in the 4th quarter.........so if getting the wind in the 1st quarter is a priority for the Lions, they should get it no matter the coin toss.
Teams often get burned on that 4th quarter wind advantage on late games, as the wind subsides often, something that happens as the sun goes down. Since this game is later than usual the wind may subside earlier but I sure hope that the Lions are aware of it for any coin toss decision.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

8:00pm local time start. wind will have died down somewhat then, and certainly by 10:00pm near the end of the game.
Jess19

I'm going to the game tonight! Wish me luck dealing with all those rowdy Riders fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

Jess19 wrote:I'm going to the game tonight! Wish me luck dealing with all those rowdy Riders fans.
Good luck, hope you get the last laugh this time around.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Is it 7:00pm yet? :sigh:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

thunder77 wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
SK leads the league in QB sacks with 13 compared to BC's 8 and Interceptions with 5 compared to BC's 3. As a team Sask leads the league with a +8 compared to BC's +3.

The biggest thing our D has going for it is team spead and a new 3 man rotation of co-sack leader "Chunky" Adams, Scott Schultz and Luc Mullinder who have 7 sacks between them. They are staying fresher in games because of it and therefore we have been getting more consistant pressure up the middle.

I think the two teams are very evenly matched with BC getting the clear edge at QB. Other than that I think things are a wash quite honestly. I can't wait to watch the game from Mosaic Stadium because it should be a dandy!

Cheers!
Gotta love the Rider fans and their mood swings. Two games, TWO, and all of a sudden we're evenly matched. Regardless of the outcome Friday, if you make it back to BC in November we'll see if we're evenly matched.
Hey Lions fans, if you think the fact that you beat the Riders last year in the West Final and even the fact that you won the Grey Cup LAST YEAR means that the Riders and Lions are less than evenly matched for this Friday's game than I hope your team feels the same way cause they're in for the same rude awakening that the Als and the Stamps got.

Enjoy the game!
Thank you. I enjoyed the game.