Gettting Ready For The Riders!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Charger27

Lion Guy wrote:
LFITQ wrote:It is interesting

Both clubs (read: fans) believe heavily in their defence.

Both clubs believe their offence is still a work in progress.

Both clubs feel secure in their kicking game

Both clubs are pretty happy with their special teams

Both teams are concerned about their QB's

Both teams have alot of faith in their Oline (that's something new for Lions fans of late)

Both teams are comfortable with their receivers

Both teams are excited by their running game.

The Lions (fans) are happy with their head coach and GM

The Riders (fans) are happy with their head coach and GM

Did I miss something? :wink:
Yes, that all adds up to US kicking their ass!! :rockin:
Umm - ok?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from the assessment.
Which is reasonably accurate I might add.

I see a close game with home field likely making the difference.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A matchup of the top two sack leaders last season: Johnson vs. Perry
Reider
Starter

It should be a great game. Both teams have a good chance at winning imo. :beer:
terencius

Blitz wrote:It's an early battle for first place as our Leos travel to Regina to play the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Friday night. The last time we played the green and white we dominated them in the confines of B.C. Place in the 2006 Western Final.

However, playing the Riders in Saskatchewan has been more challenging. Dave Dickenson, as our quarterback, has never beaten the Riders in Regina in the four season he has been with us. The Riders always play our offence tough at home and they have played us tough at times in our own 'house' over the years. Kent Austin has Saskatchewan out of the gate well so far this season with two wins. Lets have a closer look:

OFFENSE:

Our offence has taken some heat this season, to date, with the microscope on Dave Dickenson's play. However, against the Edmonton Eskimos our offence had a total of 365 yards of offence. We averaged 369 yards per game last season so our last outing was similar to last season's offensive average. Saskatchewan is one of the CFL defenses that likes to crowd our underneath game. Last season our only threat for most of the season, in the vertical game of posts, corners, and deeper routes was Geroy Simon. Double cover Simon and we had challenges with that kind of defense until Paris Jackson broke out in the playoffs.

This season is different. Not only can Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson run deeper or deep routes but Tony Simmons is also a burner. Rodgers was able to get deep against Toronto and needs to become an integral part of the offence. Jason Clermont runs disciplined corner and post routes. Once again we have to be able to challenge the Saskatchewan secondary with the vertical game to open up the underneath routes later. Paris Jackson noted today that we have big receivers who can go deep and believes that we need to take more advantage of this ability. The key is Dickenson's willingness to go deep more often early (he did that against Edmonton) and to be better at being able to connect with his receivers more accurately on deeper passes than his favorite 8-12 yard range.

We ran the football well against Edmonton, for a total of 135 combined rushing yards. Even more impressive was how we controlled the football with the running attack to eat up the clock and preserve our victory. We are proving that we have the running attack and Dickenson has always been excellent at the underneath, controlled passing attack when teams aren't sitting on those routes. If Dickenson can improve his throwing ability in the vertical game...we'll have all three weapons we can turn to and defenses can pick their poison. LFITQ said "What's wrong with having it all" Looks like we're trying to accomplish that on offence but it will take time to move out of our previous comfort zone.

One aspect of our offense against Edmonton that impressed was our creativity. Last season our offence, even with some positive changes had become stale, conservative, and often predictable.
We again dropped our offensive average per game another 30 yards from our 2005 season, which had already dropped an average of 30 yards per game from our 2004 season. Defenses in the CFL are more complex, the players and coaches are smarter than ever, and teams can watch a lot of video to determine an offenc's tendancies. Try to do the same thing week after week, no matter how well your offence executes, and a good defense can take away a number of things an offence likes to do a lot of.

Kruck and Dorazio are doing a number of things this season that made it tougher for the oppostion defense. With the offence struggling again in the first half against Edmonton they went no huddle, forcing Edmonton to keep the personell in that favored our offence and preventing substitutions and special defensive packages. The 'no huddle' offence forces more of a vanilla defense that we can take advantage of and we should do it again.

Secondly, we had a 100 yard drive against Edmonton, in the second half of the game and then drove the ball down Edmonton's throats. We need to assert the running game earlier against the Riders. Thirdly, we need to continue to give opposition defenses new looks. We weren't able to take advantage of Smart lined up wide but we were effective with him at tailback and Smith at fullback, in the two back set, with Smith able to run wide and stretch the defense laterally. It opens up the inside running game. However, since and including the Grey Cup game of last season we've stuggled to finish drives. We need less field goals and more touchdowns!

DEFENSE

Since Dave Ritchie arrived our defense has become complex, aggressive, and innovative. Ritchie is also outstanding at making within-the-game adjustments, as evidenced last week when Edmonton started off hot early but struggled against our defense as the game wore on. Turnovers have been the trademark of our defense for the past two seasons and we keep getting better. Phillips is looking more at home again at halfback and made an excellent interception and runback last week. Banks, Glover, and Marsh are looking sharp and Miles is his impressive self. Washington is certainly not looking out of place at nickel back.

However, Saskatchewan's offence has the ability to cause our defense challenges. The first challenge is Kerry Joseph is a dangerous, skilled runner and we struggled to contain him in our first game last season. The key is to continue with the formula we've used so well and that is to have Otis Floyd spy him while Glatt drops into coverage. The second is to get pressure on Joseph. If we can prevent him from running and get pressure on him he can make bad decsions. However, give Joseph time and he has always had a very good set of receivers to throw to, who have not been properly utilized in the past. That's changing with Austin, instead of Barrett at the helm. The Rough Riders have abandoned their short passing game of the past to a more multi-dimensional passing offence. Matt Dominguez, Jason Armstead, Andy Fantuz, and D.J. Flick are quality receivers.

Cates is now in the backfield for Saskatchewan. I can't understand Calgary trading him. He's a dangerous runner who can also catch the football well. However, Austin is pass conccious and our defense will likely focus pass first.

SPECIAL TEAMS

McCallum went 5/6 last game and Wally said it was an 'average' game for him because he always puts McCallum into situations where he can hit his field goals 100%. Smart still looks dangerous. However, one of the reasons we kept Rodgers was his return abilities and he hasn't shown us anything yet...this game would be the time! One worry I had this season was replacing Carl Kidd on special teams for downfield coverage but overall we've been very good in that department so far this season. Pottinger took some 'shots' on Lionbackers following the Argos game but he had an excellent game covering against Edmonton.

WRAP

The Riders are always tough to play in 'Riderville"! We're also coming off a huge game in which every Leo player was pumped to play Edmonton. The game was very emotional. Hopefully we won't have a letdown and will want to keep our win streak intact!!

Excellent Analysis!

Should be a tight game and a late field goal to win it.

However, as one will shortly find out on Friday, the Rider D is IMHO has incredible team speed! Even the big guys, (who have no right to be able to move that fast.) I have watched Rider ball for 30 years. This group is the quickest and fastest team I have seen.

Speacial teams I would call even. The Rider cover teams in particular have been very, very good.

I would give BC the slight edge in QBing, only because the Lions have Buck Pierce waiting on the sidelines.

Both teams have excellent O-lines and D-lines. I think the Riders O-line is slightly better but BC's D-line is slightly better I would call this even.

Slight edge to BC's secondary only because they have intercepted one or two more passes than the Green guys.

Recievers Both teams have excellent recievers. Simon, Clermont, vs Dominguez, Flick, Fantusz.

The Riders in 4 games counting exhibition, have turned the ball over exactly, one time.

I think that the keys to this game is whichever offense can dominate the line of scrimmage and Field position. Historically the Riders are the least penalized team in the league and Austin has been PREACHING, NO stupid penalities. So don't count on any holding or illegal procedure or time count violations. ( having said that, there will be some, because I predicted none.)

I like my guys at home, it should be close and a great game to watch.
Blitz
Team Captain

terencius wrote:
Both teams have excellent O-lines and D-lines
You've had an excellent offensive line for a number of seasons now...and they can run block as well as pass block very well. Too bad, over the past few seasons, Barrett's short passing game attack really minimized your receivers.

That is changing with Austin. However, if we can put pressure on your quarterback and not allow him to run effectively, our ball hawking defense can create turnovers. It's going to be an interesting game and I'm sure Rider fans are pumped!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

So don't count on any holding or illegal procedure or time count violations. ( having said that, there will be some, because I predicted none.)
Come on man, you have MAM on your O-line. You can count on at least 1 procedure penalty as you can count on on 1 time-count violation when Damon Allen plays.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Perhaps Jamal Johnson may get this assignment as Floyd is still nursing an injury.
Did you see the hit Jamal laid on an Eskimo last Firday night! You could hear it in the upper rafters! Rob Murphy and Jamal Johnson are my two favorite Leos. I've been waiting a while to see Jamal get a chance for more regular defense reps! Jamal is fast enough to spy Joseph!
I'd have to say that Jamal was perfectly groomed to replace Carl Kidd at his old position, Blitz.
Not a beat missed so far, and I'd like to see how he makes out on his first lionbacker blitz.
We all know how excelent Carl was on that score.
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know a diehard Rider fan who is currently without a TV. So, I've invited him over Friday Night to watch the "Rumble in Regina" on my flatscreen. Every single time I have watched a CFL game with an opposing teams fan, I've enjoyed the experience. I love watching by myself but if I have to watch a game with others, I enjoy watching with oppossing fans just as much as Lions fans.

:cr: I sure hope the Lions win cuz my Rider-buddy will be razzing me until the next game if they don't. I am really going to enjoy this weeks TSN doubleheader (EDM/WPG followed by SASK/BC)
thunder77
prospect

terencius wrote:
Blitz wrote:It's an early battle for first place as our Leos travel to Regina to play the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Friday night. The last time we played the green and white we dominated them in the confines of B.C. Place in the 2006 Western Final.

However, playing the Riders in Saskatchewan has been more challenging. Dave Dickenson, as our quarterback, has never beaten the Riders in Regina in the four season he has been with us. The Riders always play our offence tough at home and they have played us tough at times in our own 'house' over the years. Kent Austin has Saskatchewan out of the gate well so far this season with two wins. Lets have a closer look:

OFFENSE:

Our offence has taken some heat this season, to date, with the microscope on Dave Dickenson's play. However, against the Edmonton Eskimos our offence had a total of 365 yards of offence. We averaged 369 yards per game last season so our last outing was similar to last season's offensive average. Saskatchewan is one of the CFL defenses that likes to crowd our underneath game. Last season our only threat for most of the season, in the vertical game of posts, corners, and deeper routes was Geroy Simon. Double cover Simon and we had challenges with that kind of defense until Paris Jackson broke out in the playoffs.

This season is different. Not only can Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson run deeper or deep routes but Tony Simmons is also a burner. Rodgers was able to get deep against Toronto and needs to become an integral part of the offence. Jason Clermont runs disciplined corner and post routes. Once again we have to be able to challenge the Saskatchewan secondary with the vertical game to open up the underneath routes later. Paris Jackson noted today that we have big receivers who can go deep and believes that we need to take more advantage of this ability. The key is Dickenson's willingness to go deep more often early (he did that against Edmonton) and to be better at being able to connect with his receivers more accurately on deeper passes than his favorite 8-12 yard range.

We ran the football well against Edmonton, for a total of 135 combined rushing yards. Even more impressive was how we controlled the football with the running attack to eat up the clock and preserve our victory. We are proving that we have the running attack and Dickenson has always been excellent at the underneath, controlled passing attack when teams aren't sitting on those routes. If Dickenson can improve his throwing ability in the vertical game...we'll have all three weapons we can turn to and defenses can pick their poison. LFITQ said "What's wrong with having it all" Looks like we're trying to accomplish that on offence but it will take time to move out of our previous comfort zone.

One aspect of our offense against Edmonton that impressed was our creativity. Last season our offence, even with some positive changes had become stale, conservative, and often predictable.
We again dropped our offensive average per game another 30 yards from our 2005 season, which had already dropped an average of 30 yards per game from our 2004 season. Defenses in the CFL are more complex, the players and coaches are smarter than ever, and teams can watch a lot of video to determine an offenc's tendancies. Try to do the same thing week after week, no matter how well your offence executes, and a good defense can take away a number of things an offence likes to do a lot of.

Kruck and Dorazio are doing a number of things this season that made it tougher for the oppostion defense. With the offence struggling again in the first half against Edmonton they went no huddle, forcing Edmonton to keep the personell in that favored our offence and preventing substitutions and special defensive packages. The 'no huddle' offence forces more of a vanilla defense that we can take advantage of and we should do it again.

Secondly, we had a 100 yard drive against Edmonton, in the second half of the game and then drove the ball down Edmonton's throats. We need to assert the running game earlier against the Riders. Thirdly, we need to continue to give opposition defenses new looks. We weren't able to take advantage of Smart lined up wide but we were effective with him at tailback and Smith at fullback, in the two back set, with Smith able to run wide and stretch the defense laterally. It opens up the inside running game. However, since and including the Grey Cup game of last season we've stuggled to finish drives. We need less field goals and more touchdowns!

DEFENSE

Since Dave Ritchie arrived our defense has become complex, aggressive, and innovative. Ritchie is also outstanding at making within-the-game adjustments, as evidenced last week when Edmonton started off hot early but struggled against our defense as the game wore on. Turnovers have been the trademark of our defense for the past two seasons and we keep getting better. Phillips is looking more at home again at halfback and made an excellent interception and runback last week. Banks, Glover, and Marsh are looking sharp and Miles is his impressive self. Washington is certainly not looking out of place at nickel back.

However, Saskatchewan's offence has the ability to cause our defense challenges. The first challenge is Kerry Joseph is a dangerous, skilled runner and we struggled to contain him in our first game last season. The key is to continue with the formula we've used so well and that is to have Otis Floyd spy him while Glatt drops into coverage. The second is to get pressure on Joseph. If we can prevent him from running and get pressure on him he can make bad decsions. However, give Joseph time and he has always had a very good set of receivers to throw to, who have not been properly utilized in the past. That's changing with Austin, instead of Barrett at the helm. The Rough Riders have abandoned their short passing game of the past to a more multi-dimensional passing offence. Matt Dominguez, Jason Armstead, Andy Fantuz, and D.J. Flick are quality receivers.

Cates is now in the backfield for Saskatchewan. I can't understand Calgary trading him. He's a dangerous runner who can also catch the football well. However, Austin is pass conccious and our defense will likely focus pass first.

SPECIAL TEAMS

McCallum went 5/6 last game and Wally said it was an 'average' game for him because he always puts McCallum into situations where he can hit his field goals 100%. Smart still looks dangerous. However, one of the reasons we kept Rodgers was his return abilities and he hasn't shown us anything yet...this game would be the time! One worry I had this season was replacing Carl Kidd on special teams for downfield coverage but overall we've been very good in that department so far this season. Pottinger took some 'shots' on Lionbackers following the Argos game but he had an excellent game covering against Edmonton.

WRAP

The Riders are always tough to play in 'Riderville"! We're also coming off a huge game in which every Leo player was pumped to play Edmonton. The game was very emotional. Hopefully we won't have a letdown and will want to keep our win streak intact!!

Excellent Analysis!

Should be a tight game and a late field goal to win it.

However, as one will shortly find out on Friday, the Rider D is IMHO has incredible team speed! Even the big guys, (who have no right to be able to move that fast.) I have watched Rider ball for 30 years. This group is the quickest and fastest team I have seen.

Speacial teams I would call even. The Rider cover teams in particular have been very, very good.

I would give BC the slight edge in QBing, only because the Lions have Buck Pierce waiting on the sidelines.

Both teams have excellent O-lines and D-lines. I think the Riders O-line is slightly better but BC's D-line is slightly better I would call this even.

Slight edge to BC's secondary only because they have intercepted one or two more passes than the Green guys.

Recievers Both teams have excellent recievers. Simon, Clermont, vs Dominguez, Flick, Fantusz.

The Riders in 4 games counting exhibition, have turned the ball over exactly, one time.

I think that the keys to this game is whichever offense can dominate the line of scrimmage and Field position. Historically the Riders are the least penalized team in the league and Austin has been PREACHING, NO stupid penalities. So don't count on any holding or illegal procedure or time count violations. ( having said that, there will be some, because I predicted none.)

I like my guys at home, it should be close and a great game to watch.
Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
SK leads the league in QB sacks with 13 compared to BC's 8 and Interceptions with 5 compared to BC's 3. As a team Sask leads the league with a +8 compared to BC's +3.

The biggest thing our D has going for it is team spead and a new 3 man rotation of co-sack leader "Chunky" Adams, Scott Schultz and Luc Mullinder who have 7 sacks between them. They are staying fresher in games because of it and therefore we have been getting more consistant pressure up the middle.

I think the two teams are very evenly matched with BC getting the clear edge at QB. Other than that I think things are a wash quite honestly. I can't wait to watch the game from Mosaic Stadium because it should be a dandy!

Cheers!
Take a dozen Pil, and call me!

Win or lose, we booze!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
SK leads the league in QB sacks with 13 compared to BC's 8 and Interceptions with 5 compared to BC's 3. As a team Sask leads the league with a +8 compared to BC's +3.

The biggest thing our D has going for it is team spead and a new 3 man rotation of co-sack leader "Chunky" Adams, Scott Schultz and Luc Mullinder who have 7 sacks between them. They are staying fresher in games because of it and therefore we have been getting more consistant pressure up the middle.

I think the two teams are very evenly matched with BC getting the clear edge at QB. Other than that I think things are a wash quite honestly. I can't wait to watch the game from Mosaic Stadium because it should be a dandy!

Cheers!
Gotta love the Rider fans and their mood swings. Two games, TWO, and all of a sudden we're evenly matched. Regardless of the outcome Friday, if you make it back to BC in November we'll see if we're evenly matched.
thunder77
prospect

Lion Guy wrote:

Cheers!
Gotta love the Rider fans and their mood swings. Two games, TWO, and all of a sudden we're evenly matched. Regardless of the outcome Friday, if you make it back to BC in November we'll see if we're evenly matched.
Hey Lions fans, if you think the fact that you beat the Riders last year in the West Final and even the fact that you won the Grey Cup LAST YEAR means that the Riders and Lions are less than evenly matched for this Friday's game than I hope your team feels the same way cause they're in for the same rude awakening that the Als and the Stamps got.

Enjoy the game!

Win or lose, we booze!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

thunder77 wrote:Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
Hey, no fair to cite stats after two games because your guys have played Calvillo and Burris at their worst. The Lions put up 12 sacks on Calvillo in one game last year, and Montreal's line was better then.

On defence I've got to give the edge to the Lions, who return almost all of last year's league-leading unit intact. The new pieces this year (Cameron Wake and Jamall Johnson) are probably upgrades on Chris Wilson and Carl Kidd. The Lions have not given up a TD drive across midfield and, aside from points off turnovers, have given up a total of 7 points to opposing offences in two games. That includes a game against Ricky Ray, who put up 39 points and 5 passing TDs in his other game this year.

On offence, B.C.'s Joe Smith and Ian Smart have been used together like never before to stretch defences or power through them in short yardage. I much prefer B.C.'s receivers to Saskatchewan's, although D.J. Flick seems to be thriving since escaping Hamilton. I like B.C.'s offensive line, but there's nothing wrong with Saskatchewan's either. You already mentioned the B.C. advantage at QB.

Special teams are pretty even but B.C. has a field-goal kicker who was purrfect in the playoffs last year. It seems like he never misses when the game is on the line. :wink:

All of this means little, of course, because the game isn't played on paper and we know the Lions have struggled at Mosaic in recent years, especially in the wind. What's the weather forecast?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

What's the weather forecast?
29degrees, 40% POP, 20km winds chance of thundershowers.

Yikes!
aikmanr

Lion Guy wrote:

Cheers!
... we we're pretty evenly matched last season as we won 3 out of the 5 games vs. the Lions (sadly though, losing the most important one). We've been an even match for the Lions for years now, regardless of whether we were 0-2 or 2-0 right now.
thunder77
prospect

B.C.FAN wrote:
thunder77 wrote:Both D's are very good however, I give the early season lead to SK (maybe a homer pick but...).
Hey, no fair to cite stats after two games because your guys have played Calvillo and Burris at their worst. The Lions put up 12 sacks on Calvillo in one game last year, and Montreal's line was better then.

On defence I've got to give the edge to the Lions, who return almost all of last year's league-leading unit intact. The new pieces this year (Cameron Wake and Jamall Johnson) are probably upgrades on Chris Wilson and Carl Kidd. The Lions have not given up a TD drive across midfield and, aside from points off turnovers, have given up a total of 7 points to opposing offences in two games. That includes a game against Ricky Ray, who put up 39 points and 5 passing TDs in his other game this year.

On offence, B.C.'s Joe Smith and Ian Smart have been used together like never before to stretch defences or power through them in short yardage. I much prefer B.C.'s receivers to Saskatchewan's, although D.J. Flick seems to be thriving since escaping Hamilton. I like B.C.'s offensive line, but there's nothing wrong with Saskatchewan's either. You already mentioned the B.C. advantage at QB.

Special teams are pretty even but B.C. has a field-goal kicker who was purrfect in the playoffs last year. It seems like he never misses when the game is on the line. :wink

All of this means little, of course, because the game isn't played on paper and we know the Lions have struggled at Mosaic in recent years, especially in the wind. What's the weather forecast?
You've definitely got a point about making judgements this early in the season. the lions and riders have been 1 and 2 in alot of d. stats for a c ouple of years now. Nate Davis' replacement has as many sacks in 2 games as Nate did in 16 games last year and our "new guy" at end, Chick was CONSTANTLY in the backfield last game. Now, having said that I am VERY anxious to see hwo those two do specifically against BC's oline....especially the new guy, Chick who will line up against Murphy or Jimenez. I'd rather not discuss McCallum thank you very much.... :x
I'm not sure TO's oline is the best in the league either and Edmonton's was terrible last year and you only had to play part of the game with Lefsrud back so your points about Mtl and Cgy's lines are kinda a wash IMO.

Bottom line is BC @ SSK is always entertaining.

Cheers!

Win or lose, we booze!