Murphy vs. Braidwood

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

I didn't hear it, but apparently Adam Braidwood called Rick Ball's show on the Team 1040 this afternoon... Rick and Pratt both seem to have been relatively impressed by whatever he said, so maybe he's humbled out a bit. Baller did say he complimented RM's playing.

I believe Pratt & Taylor are going to re-play the call, and it'll probably be available on podcast at some point.

Edit: 3:37pm now, P&T will be getting into this call after this commercial break...
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I dunno.

Sort of with Rick James here, in that Braidwood was and is a number one prospect, and an NI at that. The fact that he started on Edmonton's D line last year in his first season speaks volumes about both the Esks need for a good rush end, and Braidwood's ability to step into the position. Had Wally been able to get him, he'd be in black and orange right now.

He was dominated most of the night, and the fact is there for all to see that he didn't sack DD on Friday, and that's after all, his job. The phone call today seemed a tad on the belligerent side at the very beginning, but surprisingly tasteful towards the middle and end of the call. Good on Adam for playing the competitor with Rick Ball.

Where Braidwood has a real problem, is (as he said) with his dad. Placing the guy on "probation" is one thing, but Braidwood Jr. is still going to have to wear his father's indiscretions for a long, long time.

A couple of positives out of all of this:

1) As stated above, the League can't BUY this amount of advertising hype. Pure Gold.

2) Murph is now a front line recognizable BC Lions icon with the paying public. Sure, we here knew him and how good he was, but now there are people wanting to get his jersey. I do too, actually.

The negative is the damage done to Braidwood by his dad. He could easily have overcome his play on Friday night as Copeland and Lewis did after the Calgary Schellacking last year, but when your dad fights a battle for you, whether you want him to or not....

Grown men can still be cruel to each other. When Braidwood faces Goodspeed and Khan this week, he'll hear about it.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rick James wrote:Braidwood is an up an coming star at DE. Part of a new breed of NI DE's. Wally would have drafted him if the eskie's hadn't taken him 1st overall, and everyone on this board would be gushing over him instead of dissing him.
Agree 100%........I too was hoping that the Lions were going to be able to draft the local boy......damn Esks.
Lloyd
Balraj
All Star

I still think he's an ass. Big deal the radio guys were talkin trash about him, not even sure if you can call it trash. You never hear any other professional player call up a radio station and say hey my buddies were telling me that you guys were talking about me. what a joke. He knows he got his ass handed to him by Murphy and is now coming on and trying to play the nice guy role. He also said that he didn't see Murphy after the game when Murphy clearly said that he saw Abdullah, Macicoia and Braidwood outside the team bus and they just turned there heads the moment they saw them. I hope Murphy lays a smacking the way he did friday night for the rest of the season on these two.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Someone smarter than I could create some potential trash talking match-ups for next home game like:

Dave Dickenson vs Jason Maas
Buck Pierce vs Timmy Chang
Jesse Lumsen vs Joe Smith

I dunno. None of the above could talk much smack as they are too nice!!!
Yeah, besides, like with Murphy-Jiminez/Braidwood-Abdullah, the smack flies better when it's between opponents who are on the field together -- e.g., Lions O vs TiCats D or vice versa.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

[quote="Solar Max"]...
The phone call today seemed a tad on the belligerent side at the very beginning, but surprisingly tasteful towards the middle and end of the call. Good on Adam for playing the competitor with Rick Ball.
...quote]

Thanks for the headsup on the call, I listened to it on the repeat of PRATT/TAYLOR. You summed up what I heard. I think this is the kind of thing that helps sell the game. Its July and theres lots of talk about the CFL :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I watched the game on TSN archive to get more detail. Murphy had his game face on the whole night. Well-deserved CFL Gladiator of the Night. Abdullah stunk out the joint. Braidwood got dominated by Murphy.

It was Abdullah who started the yapping and he was the one sucking wind in the fourth quarter. The announcers said he could barely stand up.

I think Braidwood might not be a bad kid, but he sure got dragged into it by Abdullah, and his dad sure screwed up. The jury is still out on how Braidwood goes on to handle this situation as the season goes on. I would love to hear that bit from the Pratt talk show. Did Braidwood indicate that his dad had f***ed up?

I have not ever seen an offensive lineman use the pancake so effectively, ever. Larry Little for the undefeated Miami Dolphins of 1973 was the first one I saw totally dominate players with it. Abdullah and Braidwood look like little helpless babies when Murphy pins them down for the count. "Mommy, Daddy, make Robbie get off of me."
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Balraj wrote:I still think he's an ass. Big deal the radio guys were talkin trash about him, not even sure if you can call it trash. You never hear any other professional player call up a radio station and say hey my buddies were telling me that you guys were talking about me. what a joke. He knows he got his ass handed to him by Murphy and is now coming on and trying to play the nice guy role. He also said that he didn't see Murphy after the game when Murphy clearly said that he saw Abdullah, Macicoia and Braidwood outside the team bus and they just turned there heads the moment they saw them. I hope Murphy lays a smacking the way he did friday night for the rest of the season on these two.
I don't think it's true. Even Brian Burke's wife Jennifer Mather called up Dave Pratt to challenge him and it went over well with all but but Pratt. A bad example was Brenda Warner ruining Kurt Warner's rep with the St. Louis Rams.

Carl Kidd's mom phoned 1040 after a game - although not complaining and it was a huge hit. Jimenez had a relative call into the radio during his first exhibition games when he got here to ask how he did. It was also a hit.

That is not the point here. I think Adam Braidwood did the right thing in being a good sport about this and calling the station and giving the CFL some more coverage in this market. Media that you don't have to buy for your product is a good thing. It's a marketer's dream for that stuff to occur. Most local fans are now cutting Braidwood some slack for this incident with his dad now versus before he called. He did the right thing and Vancouver sports fans got to hear more about the CFL.

I think that the Lion tackles respect both Braidwood and Addullah. Murphy knows and recited Braidwoods martial arts record and Jimenz mentioned that he felt bad when Adullah was gone from Calgary and was happy he got picked up by the Esks as he is a good player. Murphy is playing this up as he knows how to market himself and the team and the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: That is not the point here. I think Adam Braidwood did the right thing in being a good sport about this and calling the station and giving the CFL some more coverage in this market. Media that you don't have to buy for your product is a good thing. It's a marketer's dream for that stuff to occur. Most local fans are now cutting Braidwood some slack for this incident with his dad now versus before he called. He did the right thing and Vancouver sports fans got to hear more about the CFL.
Absolutely agree. Braidwood was articulate and fair, and jokingly referred to his dad as "on probation". As you said, one can't buy this sort of coverage for the League, and of course the Esks and Lions.

Toppy Vann wrote:I think that the Lion tackles respect both Braidwood and Addullah. Murphy knows and recited Braidwoods martial arts record and Jimenz mentioned that he felt bad when Adullah was gone from Calgary and was happy he got picked up by the Esks as he is a good player. Murphy is playing this up as he knows how to market himself and the team and the CFL.
Abdullah is a very good DL who happened (luckily for the CFL) to say some things that the media ran with. Esks are happy to have him, and they should be; he's a very good DE. Murphy runs his own business outside he CFL, and he's a very smart guy from all indications.

And supremely loyal.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: That is not the point here. I think Adam Braidwood did the right thing in being a good sport about this and calling the station and giving the CFL some more coverage in this market. Media that you don't have to buy for your product is a good thing. It's a marketer's dream for that stuff to occur. Most local fans are now cutting Braidwood some slack for this incident with his dad now versus before he called. He did the right thing and Vancouver sports fans got to hear more about the CFL.
Absolutely agree. Braidwood was articulate and fair, and jokingly referred to his dad as "on probation". As you said, one can't buy this sort of coverage for the League, and of course the Esks and Lions.

Toppy Vann wrote:I think that the Lion tackles respect both Braidwood and Addullah. Murphy knows and recited Braidwoods martial arts record and Jimenz mentioned that he felt bad when Adullah was gone from Calgary and was happy he got picked up by the Esks as he is a good player. Murphy is playing this up as he knows how to market himself and the team and the CFL.
Abdullah is a very good DL who happened (luckily for the CFL) to say some things that the media ran with. Esks are happy to have him, and they should be; he's a very good DE. Murphy runs his own business outside he CFL, and he's a very smart guy from all indications.

And supremely loyal.
You forgot to add that he was running a shutout as well. :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I just hope that the trash talk ramps up closer to the time these two teams meet again. It'd kinda kill a bit of the suspense if all four guys stated having a mutual love-fest between them. Right now it's fine for Braidwood to call in and joke around with members of the Vancouver media, but I hope that it gets a bit hostile as gametime approaches.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Balraj wrote:I still think he's an ass. Big deal the radio guys were talkin trash about him, not even sure if you can call it trash. You never hear any other professional player call up a radio station and say hey my buddies were telling me that you guys were talking about me. what a joke. He knows he got his ass handed to him by Murphy and is now coming on and trying to play the nice guy role. He also said that he didn't see Murphy after the game when Murphy clearly said that he saw Abdullah, Macicoia and Braidwood outside the team bus and they just turned there heads the moment they saw them. I hope Murphy lays a smacking the way he did friday night for the rest of the season on these two.
I don't think it's true. Even Brian Burke's wife Jennifer Mather called up Dave Pratt to challenge him and it went over well with all but but Pratt. A bad example was Brenda Warner ruining Kurt Warner's rep with the St. Louis Rams.
Actually, I have to disagree with this statement. Mather misused her professional credentials to defend someone who was more than able to speak to the issues if he so chose. She was speaking as an aggrieved spouse but using her professional resources to air her criticisms. She may not have liked what was being said about her husband and may have been entirely justified in feeling so but you are either acting as a member of the media or a private citizen. To use your privileges from one role to further your grievances in another was unprofessional.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

True SP, but it was great radio. Pratt backpeddaled all the way to Coquitlam. :wink:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:True SP, but it was great radio. Pratt backpeddaled all the way to Coquitlam. :wink:
No he didn't. He sat back and let it happen. Say what you will about him but he knows "good radio" when it falls in his lap like that.

So does Rick Ball with Braidwood calling in.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:True SP, but it was great radio. Pratt backpeddaled all the way to Coquitlam. :wink:
Not only was it great radio it has become part of that show EVERYTIME including yesterday or the day before when they mentioned Brian Burke was in town to take his Stanley Cup to Chilliwhack and Chilliwack.

Mather didn't do herself any harm reputation-wise. It was nicely done and Pratt is now branded as a media guy like Tony Gallagher who can't get anything from the bombastic Burkey who has proven time and again he never met a microphone he didn't like.

Murphy is in the paper again today (Sun) being interviewed by Beamish!!! Would this much attention be given if not for the calling out of the twin towering tackles? Maybe, but maybe not.

I think Murphy and Jimenez to a lesser extent owe Braidwood and Abdullah big-time for getting them this publicity and national attention - it is being talked about in Toronto among fans. I spoke to an Argo fan on business on the phone yesterday who was in BC on holidays when it took place and he brought it up as he knows I like football.

It's the old adage -- -it doesn't matter what they say about you in the paper as long as they get your name right. Well for most things and most people.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy