The 42 Man Roster

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to TSN, Dennis Mitchell and Chad Mock have been placed on the practice roster. No other names were given.
midwestlion
Starter

former great receiver himself we expect Sammy to always get it right, but then again, who would have expected Jones to blow this chance.
Did Jones really "blow" his chance. I think not Blitz. Obviously you are getting your info close to source but definately biased. If you are comparing him to the rest of recieving core, they all sucked. Media controls the mind my friend. 8)

Dropped balls. Who are you comparing him to, Jerry Rice? I think all of his dropped balls were ones he had to dive for? :roll:
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Now I am thinking about the field just up the street from me. Every once in a while I do some running there. It is about that time. Thanks for the push.
You were right to appeal the decision West Coast Joe! First of all, while I did my list early in the morning, before my morning coffee, there was no excuse for me to forget about Simmons and Pottinger. While I made the correction quickly my rust showed and I certainly should have been in better mental shape. Therefore, I will not only remove my 10 yard break on my gasser but give myself a second one!

You are also right that Smart was not cut nor was Boden. However, when the 42 man roster is announced you may be running your gassers then but for now you have two gassers removed. Therefore you only have one gasser to run for Lindstrom. Now..warm up and don't tweak a tendon or pull a 'ham". :wink: You're now in second place in the contest! I'm taking the dog out right now to join me when I run my gassers! :thup:
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LOL

Too funny!

As I head out for a run, I am thinking about training camp, cutting down the roster, etc. .......

What is the most dreaded phrase at TC?

"Hey Kid, Coach wants to see you ... Oh, yeah, and bring your play book."
Blitz
Team Captain

Did Jones really "blow" his chance. I think not Blitz. Obviously you are getting your info close to source but definately biased. If you are comparing him to the rest of recieving core, they all sucked. Media controls the mind my friend.

Dropped balls. Who are you comparing him to, Jerry Rice? I think all of his dropped balls were ones he had to dive for?
Did he really blow his chance midwestlion? Yes and no! From the beginning of the off-season I wanted our Leos to go with three import recievers. I wrote often that Simon, Simmons, and Jones would make us the most dangerous team in the league, with their speed and big play ability, and along with Clermont and Jackson...the leagues best receiving crew.

What I didn't want was Simmons and Jones competing for one spot and that didn't happen. I have a high regard for Tony Simmons as you're aware. However, as the wideside outside receiver, with only the inexperienced Boden backing up Kendrick, and with no import on the depth chart who was close to Kendrick... I thought he had the job locked up... if he continued his development from last season.

Was Jones the only reciever who dropped balls in training camp? Of course not...they all did! However, what those other receivers had was the background of either getting it done over an extended period of time (Simon, Jackson, Clermont) or Simmons having his experience in both the NFL and his play during the games he's been in the lineup.

Kendrick had all the tools...athleticism, leaping ability, speed. I figured he was a lock until prior to the Edmonton game...when I first wrote that Kendrick needed to have a good game or he could be gone. That wasn't my thought but information that said he was on the bubble!

To be honest, I was initially surprised that Jones was on the bubble, because neither Monk or Rodgers has practiced in Kendrick's position...and I thought Boden would be brought along but not inserted as a starter without any CFL experience.

However, the expectation of Kendrick was higher. He wasn't being judged by the same standard as the other receivers at camp. If Wally was going to use an extra import at wideside receiver, where we've used a non-import in the past, he had very high expectations that he was going to get a lot from the position. In the end, he decided he wasn't going to get enough... in spite of Kendrick's great potential. As you are also aware the import/non import ratio in the CFL is also an important consideration. I had hoped that Kendrick would be able to give us another deep threat...speed kills and I love speed... so I'm disappointed that it didn't turn out the way I hoped in the off-season either. Training camps are short and it's a short time to make an impression.

Changing topics I'm very happy that Monk hasn't been cut and will likely be on the practice roster. Rodgers has had all the attention and Monk has been under the radar screen but I've been high on him from Day 1. He's not big but he's a competitor...I love his attitude and approach to the game!
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
midwestlion
Starter

Kendrick had all the tools...athleticism, leaping ability, speed. I figured he was a lock until prior to the Edmonton game...when I first wrote that Kendrick needed to have a good game or he could be gone. That wasn't my thought but information that said he was on the bubble!

It wasnt Jones fault the team looked horrible. He caught what he could. IMO Not buying it. They fell in love with Rodgers backgroung which is understandable.
lion24
Legend

midwestlion wrote:

It wasnt Jones fault the team looked horrible. He caught what he could. IMO Not buying it. They fell in love with Rodgers backgroung which is understandable.
Hey midwestlion, i think you and I are on our own with wanting to keep Jones. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a thing where people say "how did the lions let him go?" as the Bombers did with Geroy.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU predicts that Jones will land in Edmonton with Chapdelaine.
lion24
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:LU predicts that Jones will land in Edmonton with Chapdelaine.
That would be included in my worst case scenarios!!! :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Obviously you are getting your info close to source but definately biased.
And your not? Nothing wrong with being biased, as you are obviously related too or a close friend of Kendrick, but don't call the kettle black.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Balraj
All Star

I wonder what the real reason is for Kendricks release, oh well Wally should clarify it up in a few days.
Blitz
Team Captain

LU predicts that Jones will land in Edmonton with Chapdelaine
Maybe....the Esimos have cut Mookie Mitchell. Acree is going to make Edmonton's active roster. Acree was a 'Chap' favorite when he was here in Vancouver.

I like Acree myself. He kind of reminds me a little of Sandusky in that he catches everything thrown near him. Acree is more of a possession receiever than a deep threat but he has great hands and runs very good patterns.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:LU predicts that Jones will land in Edmonton with Chapdelaine.
Kendrick would make an excellent blocker in Chapdelaine's scheme of things.
Blitz
Team Captain

The following Leos made the active roster: WR Adam Nicolson, RB Andre Sadeghian, OL Lorne Plante*, DL Derek Wake, S Tad Crawford, CB Dennis Mitchell, WR Josh Boden while still hanging around are DB Jerome Dennis, DL Brandon Ala, WR Chad Mock, LB Nick Hannah, OL Andrew Jones, DL Dan McCullough. They are playing around with Boden right now due to his territorial status...more to be determined.

So for a look at the 42 Man Roster contest as of today: Non-Imports

1. Bates
2 Reid
3. Rasouli
4. Valli
5. Plante
6. Clermont
7. P. Jackson
8. Green
9. Bwenge
10. Pottinger
11. B. Johnson
12. Kirk
13. Foley
14. Glatt
15. Clovis
16. Sedaghian
17. Craiggs
18. Crawford
19. Nicholson
20. McCallum

Imports

1. Murphy
2. Jiminez
3. Simon
4. Mitchell
5. Rodgers
6. Wake
7. Hunt
8. T. Williams
9. J. Johson
10 Floyd
11. Marsh
12. Banks
13. Miles
14. Washington
15. Phillips
16. Glover
17. Smart
18. Knowlton
19. Smith

Since the Boden situation has not been resolved we'll still have to wait for the final announcement for the game against Toronto.. but B.C. Fan....I'm catching up since Hannah nor McCullough will make the active roster....it's looking like a sprint to the finish for us..big guy!! :wink:

Looks like our Leos will move Simmons to wideside outside receiver and put Rodgers into the slot. Not the way I like it...I loved having two big guys with great speed and also size in Simon and Simmons at slot. I wish they would have moved Rodgers outside. Simmons will see less footballs out wide.

Oh well...you can't have everything...at least they went with 3 import receivers and also moved Washington to nickel and Phillips to wideside halfback..so more off-season wishes are coming true than not! It also may not be a permanent move to have Simmons out wide...we'll have to wait and see.