The 42 Man Roster

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The 42 man roster, comprised of 20 non-imports, 19 imports, and 3 quarterbacks will need to be made after our next exhibition game. Here are some early thoughts. Of course the quarterbacks are set.

Non-Imports

1. Bates
2 Reid
3. Rasouli
4. Valli
5. Plante
6. Clermont
7. P. Jackson
8. Green
9. Bwenge
10. Boden
11. B. Johnson
12. Kirk
13. Foley
14. Glatt
15. Clovis
16. Sedaghian
17. Craiggs
18. Pottinger
19. Nicholson
20. McCallum

Imports

1. Murphy
2. Jiminez
3. Simon
4. Simmons
5. Rodgers or Dennis (leaning to Rodgers)
6. Wake
7. Hunt
8. T. Williams
9. J. Johson
10 Floyd
11. Marsh
12. Banks
13. Miles
14. Washington
15. Phillips
16. Glover
17. Smart
18. Knowlton
19. Smith

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Where is Simmons????? You can't make that lineup without him, please.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

You can't make that lineup without him, please.
Dam...Rammer there just aint enough spots for all the depth we have. Our practice roster could be another teams starting lineup. Oh..the agony...here goes...

Simmons goes in and Rodgers comes out! However, Kendrick Jones better play better next exhibition game cause Rodgers could push him! If he doesn't have a great game then I go with Rodgers.

Knowlton has looked good in camp but Dennis can return the football so it's another spot that could be interesting. Any different thougths Rammer?
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
LFITQ
Team Captain

Can't argue too much with that list Blitz. It's pretty much the same as mine. Except, as Rammer points out I have Simmons in instead of K. Jones. And I certainly have Rodgers in over Dennis. Doesn't mean those two don't go to the PR, but as far as the 42 man roster goes that's how I have it.

The only thing I'm not certain on is Crawford. There might be a spot on there for him, but just not sure where.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Has anyone recognize you at camp and if not why?
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

good list .... these are a few changes I would consider ...

Non-Imports

1. Bates
2 Reid
3. Rasouli
4. Valli
5. Plante
6. Clermont
7. P. Jackson
8. Green
9. Bwenge
10. Anderson for Boden
11. B. Johnson
12. Kirk
13. Foley
14. Glatt
15. Clovis
16. Pottinger for Sedaghian
17. Craiggs or McCullough .... still to be determined
18. McCullough
19. Nicholson
20. McCallum

Imports

1. Murphy
2. Jiminez
3. Simon
4. Simmons for K. Jones
5. Rodgers
6. Wake
7. Hunt
8. T. Williams
9. J. Johson
10 Floyd
11. Marsh
12. Banks
13. Miles
14. Washington
15. Phillips
16. Glover
17. a linebacker - maybe Hannah for Smart
18. Knowlton
19. Smith

Development or "Injured"
Bell
Boden .... maybe trade bait
Lindstrom
Sadeghian
Jones or another American receiver
an American DB .... Mitchell or Greene
Crawford
Ala or Bennett

PS: it's always fun to play GM. And, by the way, having followed Wally's moves over the years, his transformation of this squad is amazing. It is so deep at all positions -- gonna have to give some up to the have nots.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Where is Simmons????? You can't make that lineup without him, please.
:oops:

That's what I was thinking. However, as wise as Blitz is, he has garnered some rust too in the offseason. 8)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

plus, with the extra 4 spots on the "active" roster should be room for Smart and Hannah and keep Andrew Jones for development as well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here are the only players held over from the pre-Buono days:
Bates
Reid
Green
Simon
Clermont
Anderson
Williams
Johnson
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I gotta go with WestCoast Joe, Pottinger is definately on the team. Kendrick Jones is a bit suspect to me, I would go with Rodgers & Simmons.
Have you or anyone seen enough of Rogers to say he's better than Jones? That sounds a bit early but hey, I wouldn't mind even another upgrade.
Blitz
Team Captain

That's what I was thinking. However, as wise as Blitz is, he has garnered some rust too in the offseason.
I changed it right away Lionheart so the rust was minor!! :x :wink: Just hadn't had my second cup of morning coffee! You all know how crazy I've been about Simmons since his very beginning with the Leos!

The key is having a second kick returner and backup punt returner. That either means Kendrick Jones returns kickoffs with Smart or we have to go with someone else.! I still believe Kendrick Jones will start the season at wide receiver.

As for missing Pottinger I would have him on my list too...now that I'm awake. If McCullough could become our long snapper you could take Craiggs off the list. Craiggs doesn't get into the lineup as a backup linebacker and McCullough would add depth. They may have McCullough work on it longer on the practice roster, however, before inserting him in for Craiggs.

When Brett Anderson comes back and is practiced long enough...then the Leos have another decision. Do they want Anderson back and do they take Nicholson off the active roster to do that? I just believe Boden is going to make it!! They were looking at him as a returner last night.

So, for now the practice roster is looking like:

Non-Imports

McCullough....until he's ready to come in for Craiggs....unless they make the move early.
Crawford
Brett Anderson until he replaces Nicholson (if he does)
Pikula (you forgot about him)
Andrew Jones .

I think Lindstrom is gone!

Imports kept around will be Dennis or Mitchell, Hannah,, and Farrow. If they can afford it they might also keep Monk around.

They can use 46 players for the home roster. We have too many riches and it's a shame we're going to lose some of these guys!
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
That's what I was thinking. However, as wise as Blitz is, he has garnered some rust too in the offseason.
I changed it right away Lionheart so the rust was minor!! :x :wink: Just hadn't had my second cup of morning coffee! You all know how crazy I've been about Simmons since his very beginning with the Leos!

The key is having a second kick returner and backup punt returner. That either means Kendrick Jones returns kickoffs with Smart or we have to go with someone else.! I still believe Kendrick Jones will start the season at wide receiver.

As for missing Pottinger I would have him on my list too...now that I'm awake. If McCullough could become our long snapper you could take Craiggs off the list. Craiggs doesn't get into the lineup as a backup linebacker and McCullough would add depth. They may have McCullough work on it longer on the practice roster, however, before inserting him in for Craiggs.

When Brett Anderson comes back and is practiced long enough...then the Leos have another decision. Do they want Anderson back and do they take Nicholson off the active roster to do that? I just believe Boden is going to make it!! They were looking at him as a returner last night.

So, for now the practice roster is looking like:

Non-Imports

McCullough....until he's ready to come in for Craiggs....unless they make the move early.
Crawford
Sedeghian
Brett Anderson until he replaces Nicholson (if he does)
Pikula (you forgot about him)
Andrew Jones for now perhaps.

I think Lindstrom is gone!

Imports kept around will be Dennis, or Mitchell Rodgers,,Hannah, Bell, and either Farrow or Russell. If they can afford it they might also keep Monk around.

They can use 46 players for the home roster. We have too many riches and it's a shame we're going to lose some of these guys!
Just got back from this morning AM's comment as I was heading out the door.

Lindstrom will be asked to stick around on the PR, and maybe he will or maybe someone picks him up. He had a good camp but dropped the proverbial ball in game action. Crawford was given a ton of time without making many plays, so he will have another crack to show that he has learned or become a tough decision. His benefit is that he is the only heir apparent to Miles at Safety and his passport will allow him a season of seasoning.

Rodgers helped himself out, but remember that the Riders were not playing their top D either, giving him more of a chance to pick apart a novice defense. If I am Wally, I keep Jones around and try and hide Rodgers, that will be difficult.

If I am Wally, I am trying to find a trade partner for either of Pikula or McCallum, we can't afford to have both around this season especially with the potential of keeping a 4th QB around.

Sedeghian may be a guy that could use a season on the Lions PR, can't see him moving up the depth chart right now with Green having the experience of our offensive game plan, and Bwenge is solid on the ST play, a must for an NI FB.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Lindstrom will be asked to stick around on the PR, and maybe he will or maybe someone picks him up. He had a good camp but dropped the proverbial ball in game action.
You could be right Rammer but I see him impeding Boden and Nicholson's development and just don't see him as a projected starter or special teamer one day.
Crawford was given a ton of time without making many plays, so he will have another crack to show that he has learned or become a tough decision. His benefit is that he is the only heir apparent to Miles at Safety and his passport will allow him a season of seasoning.
I think they'll likely keep Crawford around to see how he develops and get some more meat on his bones. Depends on how he looks against Edmonton. However, Clovis can play safety and he also could be the heir apparent to Miles, if they don't go with an import there, which they could afford to do.
If I am Wally, I am trying to find a trade partner for either of Pikula or McCallum, we can't afford to have both around this season especially with the potential of keeping a 4th QB around.
I don't think that's going to happen Rammer. I believe Wally will keep Pikula unless he gets a very good offer. He'll keep McCallum for this season and go with Pikula next year!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The four-man reserve list is a great cushion for a coach. He can keep four players on the roster and under contract but just not dress them, so he only has to cut to 46. The reserve list can change each game. Wally kept Pikula out of the grasp of opposing teams this way for most of last year (he played in only three games), but that's a valuable spot to use for a second straight season.

I can't see dressing Plante and Valli each game. Backup linemen aren't usually valuable as special-teamers, so the Lions normally go with just one backup. Both of them looked good in their relief duties Friday so I don't know which one will dress. If it's Plante, Valli would likely have to be kept on the reserve.

Similarly, I can't see keeping Rodgers and Jones on the 42-man roster. Jones was brought in last year as an injury replacement for Tony Simmons, who is back and starting the season healthy. The Lions also are blessed with non-imports who can play inside and outside receiver spots. I'm not sure that Boden shouldn't be starting. Smart, a backup running back, will be a designated import used as the primary kick returner, while either Rodgers, Jones, Boden or Mitchell will be a second returner. I'm leaning toward keeping Rodgers and putting Jones on the reserve.

The Lions have traditionally used their depth at receiver to start more than the required seven Canadians, and thus be able to dress import backups who can rotate with Canadian starters. Foley and Wake could be used that way this year, with Foley starting if he earns that position. I'm sure Wake's leaping abilities will be utilized on special teams. The Lions also traditionally use an extra import linebacker as a backup and special teams demon, and I'd lean to using Hannah in that role.

In the defensive backfield, I think the dime back position is still open. I'm leaning toward Knowlton but he didn't help himself on Friday. Dennis and Mitchell are still in the mix, with Mitchell providing the skill to play corner (and showing extremely well in that position on Friday) and kick returner. With Miles and Washington both nearing the ends of their careers, the Lions will probably want to groom a few potential replacements by keeping a couple of extra DBs around. Our DBs played great as a unit last year but opponents had too much success against Dante Marsh for my liking. I'd give him the start if he's healthy, but I wouldn't put it past Wally to make a switch at some point.

So, here's the result (with 10 possible Canadian starters in bold):

1. Bates
2. Reid
3. Rasouli

4. Valli or Plante
5. Crawford or Wasiela
6. Clermont
7. P. Jackson
8. Green

9. Bwenge
10. Boden
11. B. Johnson