Garrett Hunsperger

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

hunsperger
prospect

The team in those days was quite a tight knit group and hung out together around town.
So true. I remember reading a newspaper article about him when he was playing on the Argonauts. Basically he said that in Vancouver there was always somebody to run around with after practice and games. In Toronto everybody went their separate ways.
Jaclyn
prospect

Yes, in fact he did stay in contact with some of the players. Mainly Wayne Matherne, Bud Magrum (before he passed away) and Ron Estay.
hunsperger
prospect

Jaclyn... Was 1975 Garrett's last year in professional football? I know when he was released by the Lions, one of the local sportwriters indicated the New England Patriots had shown some interest. I saw him play his last game in Empire Stadium as a visitor with the Argonauts. As I said earlier, throughout his career he was plagued by knee injuries, it seemed like every year he had knee surgery of some sort. By the end of his career he was playing on two heavily taped and braced knees.
David
Team Captain

hunsperger wrote: As I said earlier, throughout his career he was plagued by knee injuries, it seemed like every year he had knee surgery of some sort. By the end of his career he was playing on two heavily taped and braced knees.
I don't doubt it. The artificial turf at Empire Stadium was unforgiving. It cut short many a career.
Jaclyn wrote:....Also any paraphenalia that you would otherwise get rid of I will happily take. Thanks.
Jaclyn, I just came across some photos of Garrett. One was his 1971 Chevron (Standard Oil) player card taken at training camp on the campus of UBC, his 1972 Royal Bank photo taken at Empire Stadium, and a 1973 Royal Bank photo taken at training camp in Penticton BC.

I am happy to mail them out to you, free of charge of course. Please PM me with an address where you'd like them sent.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Jaclyn
prospect

1975 was his last year of football. The New England Patriots were extremely interested in Garrett on 2 different occassions. When he left the CFL he did consider it but decided his knees wouldn't survive!

He was plagued with knee trouble the rest of his life and was actually buying time to get knee replacements when he got sick. The doctors told him because of his size new knees would probably only last him about 10 years so he was waiting as long as he could before he got them done. Unfortunately, then he got sick.

The ironic thing is that while he was undergoing cancer treatment was the only time that his knees didn't actually hurt him! We called him his Frankestein knees because they were all knobbed and scarred up things. However, when he decided it was time to wrestle with you grabbing one of them was the only defense you had!

Just so everyone knows everytime you guys ask questions I have to call his wife to get the facts straight! So have faith that my answers are coming from the next best source!
Jaclyn
prospect

Just thought we'd let you all know that the family was all talking about this string about Garrett last night. We were looking at the card that was shown on the first page of this string and we realized that his name is spelled wrong! His first name has 2 T's! We don't know if Garrett ever realized this before or not but none of us certainly never had. Just thought I'd share with you guys!
hunsperger
prospect

That's something I had always noticed. That card is inaccurate in another way. Note his position listed as Defensive End. That is also incorrect, Garrett was a Defensive Tackle and damn was he tough to run against. Check out this website for additional name trivia: http://www.cmsu.edu/athletic/football/F ... e73-88.pdf. Garrett suited him better.
Jaclyn
prospect

Well it shows you how much we all pay attention!
David
Team Captain

There's a great story on Garrett in John Wirtanen's book "Thrown To The Lions - 45 Years Of BC Lions Football."

"....Then there was the hopeful rookie whose name was forgotten just as soon as introductions were made. Injuries were crippling the 1973 Lions, so the team was airlifting players in on a daily basis - basically anyone who could move.

After a few drills, the anonymous rookie was asked to switch to the offensive line. Determined to impress the coaches, he complied, even though it was not his regular position. His tryout was further hindered by the fact the team was running new plays. In order to see how they were to be executed, and ensure everyone picked up their assignment, the coaches wanted a walk-through - in layman's terms, a no-contact drill.

The first time, the incident was somewhat excusable and put down to nervous jitters: before the ball was snapped, the rookie stood up and hit DT Garrett Hunsperger with a stiff forearm. Hunsberger was taken aback and calmly informed the player that his actions were inappropriate - very quietly in sailor's language. The next play was an instant replay, except this time a pissed off Hunsberger rang the rookie's bell - in other words a helmet slap and some very personal communications about his mother, girlfriend, and dog. To no avail. On the very next play the rookie jumped the count once more and hit Hunsberger - again. That was that. Hunsperger grabbed him by the front of his shirt with one hand, lifted him into the air, started choking him, and screamed "I'm gonna shove my fist down your throat you F___ing little weasel!"

The rooke realized, too late, he had tempted fate and overstepped rational behaviour. He freaked out and completely lost control. He was so scared, he started shaking, and then, his bowels loosened and he soiled his pants. At that point, the players - who were keenly waiting for the outcome - went nuts and Hunsberger dropped the rookie like a sack of rotten, unwanted potatoes. The last the team saw of the traumatized hopeful, he was stumbling towards the locker room while the team continued their afternoon scrimmage."

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great story !! :lol:
hunsperger
prospect

I remember one year at training camp after a scrimmage, Eagle Keyes was taking questions from the media. Keyes was asked why Hunsperger had seen limited action, fearing perhaps that he may have been injured, always a possibility with Garrett. Keyes matter-of-factly said not to worry or read anything into it because "we already know what Garrett can do and besides we don't want to get any of our offensive lineman killed."
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The spirit of Garrett Hunsperger was with the B.C. defence Friday night, thanks to six degrees of separation. I thought the story was worth telling, given this recent thread.

My daughter, a season ticketholder, recently got a new coworker who mentioned that he was a lifelong Lions fan and was named for Garrett Hunsperger. It turned out he had previously done some work for Wally and Sande Buono and mentioned his background to them. Sande was impressed and went in the house and came out with a beautiful black B.C. Lions visor, which she gave him. He, in turn, gave it to my daughter the other day while they swapped Lions stories and she proudly wore it to the game. I don't know if she believes in good-luck omens, but she plans to wear it regularly.
hunsperger
prospect

bump...

Was on the Lions' website...had a look at the the 2010 stadium update...on the hallowed grounds of Empire Stadium...thought about Empire Stadium growing up and one player in particular...Garrett Hunsperger...to be continued...
David
Team Captain

Here's one for you Hunspberger. I found this in a publication called "Football News," a local periodical which came out in 1971 and highlighted pro and amateur football in the province. I have 4 of them in my collection and this one features an East Indian scientist the Lions employed back then to scientifically measure players' fitness levels.

(also in this issue was a feature on the two Leos' ball boys. One of them was Murray Beck. I figured out that he was the older brother of NHL legend Barry Beck!).

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Yes, I remember Wayne Matherne very well. He was a versatile DB who came to the Leos in 1971. My favourite story was the scrum of reporters who used to interview Ron Estay (himself a Louisianan with a fast way of talking and the thickest of accents) kept Wayne on hand...to "translate," only to discover this Cajun "language" was only mildly more decipherable with Wayne! :lol:

DH 8)
Yes, I remember those guys too. Hunsperger. Estay. Matherne.

Amazing characters.

Eagle Keys, from Turkey Neck Bend, was quite the character too. Matherne followed the "fleas," "flea power" guys, tiny corners (They were nicknamed something like that). Keys said it was about time we got some hit on the corner. (Jerry Butler? Rich Robinson?)

I recall how Edmonton "stole" Estay and Matherne away from us, and helped start their "dayum dynasty." Estay was something of a physical phenom. Hunsperger even moreso. He probably was the strongest man in all of football.

The "translation" story is hilarious. LOL It is so "football." Goofy guys having a laugh.

Thanks for the memories. Brightens my day. God bless 'em all. :thup:

There was another story about a couple of tough B.C. Lions visiting the interior of the province, meeting the local toughs. I forget the details and the names. It was probably in an article by Jim Taylor, another amazing character. LOL Ray Nettles might have been one of the guys in the story. (There is a bar, beer, two B.C. Lions feeling tough, maybe a bit scared when challenged by a giant local, etc.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.