Crowd noise, golf vs other

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

This might belong in all sports, but my points are mostly meant to relate to football.

I am not a fan of trying to disrupt the other team with fan noise. I know it is the thing to do. I know it is expected by all parties. I know people say they pay for the right to do it. However, it still seems like bad sportsmanship to me. I myself really want to see the best of my teams players beat the best of the other teams players, not have my team benifit from other teams coaching errors, or injuries, or stupid penalties, or crowd noise.

Why is it ok to make noise at football games, but taboo at golf. Those fans pay to get in, dont they. They too should have the right to make noise when they want. Golfers should learn to play through it. OTOH, if it is acceptable for golfers to demand crowd quiet, then why can't QBs do so as well. Why the double standard??

Does anyone know anyother sport\game where the paying crowd is expected to be quiet...other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy that is.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:This might belong in all sports, but my points are mostly meant to relate to football.

I am not a fan of trying to disrupt the other team with fan noise. I know it is the thing to do. I know it is expected by all parties. I know people say they pay for the right to do it. However, it still seems like bad sportsmanship to me. I myself really want to see the best of my teams players beat the best of the other teams players, not have my team benifit from other teams coaching errors, or injuries, or stupid penalties, or crowd noise.

Why is it ok to make noise at football games, but taboo at golf. Those fans pay to get in, dont they. They too should have the right to make noise when they want. Golfers should learn to play through it. OTOH, if it is acceptable for golfers to demand crowd quiet, then why can't QBs do so as well. Why the double standard??

Does anyone know anyother sport\game where the paying crowd is expected to be quiet...other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy that is.
I'm guessing by the rant you're not a golfer, nor have you ever done any amount of golfing. I can tell you that even the slightest distraction will screw your golf swing.

I'm sure one person blowing their nose won't change the outcome of the play.

Tennis, curling and poker come to mind.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:This might belong in all sports, but my points are mostly meant to relate to football.

I'm guessing by the rant you're not a golfer, nor have you ever done any amount of golfing. I can tell you that even the slightest distraction will screw your golf swing.

you are right. I am not into golf. I wouldnt call it a rant tho, as I am not that passionate about it. Just a thought I picked up from another site, via the following quote
Your recent posts talking about golf vs. baseball reminds me of a Tommy Lasorda rant about golf.
What's the big deal? The ball is standing still, you can take your time swinging at it and the crowd will be be quiet so you can concentrate
and no, the person was not talking to me :lol:
CB123
Legend

I myself really want to see the best of my teams players beat the best of the other teams players,
But to be truly the best, they should have to overcome the noise. 8)
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:
I myself really want to see the best of my teams players beat the best of the other teams players,
But to be truly the best, they should have to overcome the noise. 8)
in any given game, that would only be true if both teams faced equal noise.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Other sports and games where the audience is supposed to keep quiet and only applaud during selected intervals are competition billiards, darts, and bowling. In other words, most individual sports. I guess in team sports, it is already very noisy as teammates need to comunicate with each other. And thus, the officials think that since it is already very noisy, then it won't make much difference if the audience makes additiona noise as well.
KnowItAll wrote:Does anyone know anyother sport\game where the paying crowd is expected to be quiet...other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy that is.
As far as game shows, don't forget Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I think the reason the studio audience can give suggestions on The Price is Right is because they may not be much more knowledgable about the correct solution to the pricing games. Whereas in the aforementioned game shows, the solution is more black and white - you either know it or you don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Does anyone know anyother sport\game where the paying crowd is expected to be quiet...other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy that is.

I don't know about the others, but some crowd noise is permissible at curling bonspiels -- it just has to be the right type at the right time. That means silence as the rock is being delivered, but it can be broken once it is released. Also, crowd noise should only be positive; i.e., if you're rooting for one team, you never cheer the other team's bad shots, nor do you boo your own team's bad ones. I suppose it's basically in the spirit of KIA's sports Utopia -- crowd noise should not be derogatory.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

Fan noise at football games is great, be a part of the game and be the difference maker. As for many of the other 'sports' that you have listed that require zero noise during execution, well they aren't really 'sports' that I would attend, there must be a correlation between the two.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

The golfer's response to Tommy Lasorda is "Yes Tommy, but we have to play our foul balls."
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

There is no "home field advantage" in golf. There may be a local favourite, or a player who knows the course better than others, but no one is the home team. In football you play an equal number of games at home as you do away, and then you earn the home field advantage for playoffs based on your regular season. Crowd noise is part of the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:There is no "home field advantage" in golf. There may be a local favourite, or a player who knows the course better than others, but no one is the home team. In football you play an equal number of games at home as you do away, and then you earn the home field advantage for playoffs based on your regular season. Crowd noise is part of the game.
:thup: :thup:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

There are huge differences between team sports in an arena or stadium environment like hockey, football, baseball and basketball are played versus individual sports such as golf, tennis and others mentioned.

In golf there is little ambient noise. The golfer addressing his shot is concentrating on one specific thing, the ball. He doesn't have to be looking out for other distractions or outside influences. I always like to think it shouldn't matter but from playing golf I know it does. You're so focused on the ball and generally there is silence other than that ambient noise of a breeze rustling through the trees or birds chirping you hear nothing. So if someone does make a noise as you're starting your backswing your mind instantly looses focus. Even if it's only for a nanosecond that brief concentration loss can be enough to alter the shot.

Conversely in those other team sports there is a great deal of activity going on around you at all times. Noise is only one distraction and in a sense the lesser distraction. Football players have to react to defensive or offensive sets, communicate with team-mates and generally keep their eyes and ears peeled for all kinds of stuff. Ditto for hockey. You have to watch the play around you, keep your head up, be totally aware of everyone on the ice etc. Even on the bench you're concentrating on what's happening on the ice and at times hollering to team-mates on the ice to help them out.

The real ironic thing is players in those stadium team sports don't really hear the noise if that makes sense. They have to be focused on so many different things all at once that crowd noise can fall to the background as play is happening. If a QB only had to focus on putting his hands under the centre's butt and wait for the ball the noise would be deafening. But he's too damned busy reading the defence, looking to be sure his offence is in the right set, watching the 20 second clock (except for Damon) to really hear it. Unfortunately I've never had the ability to play sports before anything more than a few hundred people at provincial fastball championships or local hockey tournaments. I do remember that you tended to miss the noise unless there was a lull in the action like a play stoppage or between innings.

I think because things are so silent with few distractions where total concentration on one little stationary object is absolutely crucial the golfer hears everything. In the others there are so many distractions all at once commanding the athlete's attention that the noise isn't nearly as impactful.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not a golfer but the closest parallel in team sports to a golfer lining up a putt is a baketball player lining up a free throw. For a player like Steve Nash to shoot 90% from the foul line, with the game often on the line and spectators whistling and waving their arms in his line of sight, is a lot bigger accomplishment to me than for Tiger Woods to drain a 10-foot putt with no one in the gallery allowed to make any noise or movement.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Those penalties the visiting offence gets due to crowd noise sure can be a difference maker. I can understand where 'sportsmanship' would dictate that these types of things shouldn't come into play but....

1. team players faking injuries to slow MO
2. team executives not allowing visiting teams to use the field before gameday to see what type of footing to wear

our 'home field advantage' doesn't always pay off either. I've watched a few BC Lions fail in their attempts to quiet the crowd on while we're on offence and I thought the days of the gameday streaker had come to an end too. However, during the Western Final I thought the morons who chose to run onto the field couldn't have picked a better time to try to slow BC's momentum at the time. Noise is one way the fans can have an impact and I'm glad we try to.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm not a golfer but the closest parallel in team sports to a golfer lining up a putt is a baketball player lining up a free throw. For a player like Steve Nash to shoot 90% from the foul line, with the game often on the line and spectators whistling and waving their arms in his line of sight, is a lot bigger accomplishment to me than for Tiger Woods to drain a 10-foot putt with no one in the gallery allowed to make any noise or movement.
Sure and if you want to put it all into perspective unless there's a 40 mile per hour wind in the arena Nash is doing the equivalent of putting on a pool table. Put the ball up and it goes down. No undulations or changes in elevation or speed to read that would alter the trajectory of the ball.

Dang I used to know how to calculate this back in Grade 8. Lessee. The hoop is 10' off the floor. The free throw line is 15' back from the hoop. At 6'3" his eyeballs are about 5' off the ground when he's bent over ready to shoot a free throw. 5' difference in elevation over 15'? That's like looking up a 33% incline? I'm thinking the only arm-waving fans in Nash's line of sight are the ones 30 rows away in the upper deck. If'n he's paying attention to the fans in the first 10 rows behind the backboard then he's looking at some hot blonde because he's not even looking close to the hoop.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.