?07 Training camp returning to Abbotsford

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

For the next 2 years too.

Little surprised given they said they would return to Kamloops when the fields were ready but the City of Abbotsford is showing a lot of love for the Grey Cup champs including $25,000 worth of season tickets as part of the deal:
Why mess with success? Lions? camp returns

By DAN KINVIG
Abbotsford News
Dec 26 2006

Sticking to a routine is a classic sports superstition, at least when you?re winning. If you put your right sock on before your left and then score three touchdowns, you?re going to be putting on your right sock before your left for the rest of the season.

Perhaps not wanting to disrupt their own winning routine, the B.C. Lions have elected to return to Abbotsford for training camp for the next two seasons. The Canadian Football League club held their camp in Abby for the first time this past spring, and went on to win the Grey Cup.

According to Coun. Lynne Harris, who spearheaded the city?s efforts to bring the Lions to town, it?s no coincidence that Wally Buono?s team basked in the glow of Grey Cup glory after spending time in Abbotsford.

?Now they?re the champions, which we believe we had a part in, of course,? she said with a chuckle. ?It?s all a package. It starts with the first day of training camp in their season, and when they go on to win the Grey Cup, to me, everything that happens is a contributing factor.?

Training camp dates have yet to be finalized, but the Lions are set to return to the Exhibition Park practice fields in the spring.

?We?re in the process of finalizing the agreement. They?ll definitely be here next year and the following year,? Harris confirmed. ?They were anxious to return, and we were, of course, anxious to have them back.?

The Lions, Harris said, had a very positive experience working with the Abbotsford Parks and Rec staff, and enjoyed their stay on the Columbia Bible College campus. The city also enjoyed the free advertising that comes with being the home of the Lions for almost a month.

?It was certainly great from Tourism Abbotsford?s perspective,? Harris said. ?There was national media coverage, and Abbotsford was mentioned many times as the home of the training camp. We were very happy to have them, and they?re an amazing organization to work with. It was a positive experience all around.?

One of the greatest benefits for the city, according to Harris, is the fact that the Lions? presence in town is exciting for the young sports fans. Lions? practices are open to the public, and the players readily make themselves available to sign autographs and chat with fans.

?The reason why I really wanted to have them come in the first place is because I think it gives back something to the community, especially the young people,? Harris said. ?Kids really like to meet celebrity sports figures, and certainly they had that opportunity if they went down and watched training camp. To me, that?s what it?s about ? showing kids some positive role models in our province.?

Last year?s training camp came together at the last minute, as Abbotsford emerged as a candidate to host the event relatively late in the game. This year, the city has a bit more advance notice, which should be helpful from an organizational standpoint. The annual Lions? Fan Fest, which attracted 5,000 fans to Rotary Stadium last year, should be even bigger and better this year.

?We?ll have more time to build on that event,? Harris said.

Another part of the City of Abbotsford?s commitment to the Lions is that they must sponsor the team to the tune of $25,000 worth of season tickets. Fans are encouraged to purchase their season tickets through the City of Abbotsford, and can do so by contacting Harris at 604-864-5500.
This takes care of one typical off-season question much earlier than usual. And word is the ?07 schedule will be released by mid-January.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why fix it if it isn't broken ? :rockin:
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: Good fields, good food and lots and lots of support! is why the Lions are coming back to Abbotsford.. Hats off to Councillor Lynne Harris for making it happen. The Lions and tne media had good access to the team during training camp. It will be nice to be able to watch them again in 2007!
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Valley weather is lousy in May but the facilities are good and it's close to home.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Living in Maple Ridge, I have to say this doesn't bother me in the least!

Short drive for me for the next two seasons. Whoohoo!
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

:thup:

Just too bad that I've already got all my days off planned for 2007. 1 week at Grey Cup and one week of skiing, 3-4 tailgates prior to September.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Surprised at this considering how much Wally said he hated the weather.

Either way it doesn't matter to me this year. Now I just got one question .... WHEN?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

While I recognize - for the sake of long-term growth - the need to expose the team to other parts of the province (and let's call a spade a spade here - Abbotsford is the Lower Mainland for all intents and purposes), it is nice to hear city officials speak so enthusiastically about the Lions and embrace the organization like Abby has done.

This was a mild surprise given the Interior's dryer weather in June and the fact that I thought Abbotsford was just a stop-gap solution 'til Kamloops got their fields upgraded. Still, having attended a few of these training camps now I can safely say that Abbotsford was the most fan-friendly experience. :thup:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Charlene

Who knew Abbotsford was so cool?

Luckily i know plenty of people to stay with in Abbotsford :wink:

This is great news! Go George Ferguson!! :)
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

far away...maybe fan feset will be there again this year...thats an excuse to go out to abby! :yes:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Charlene

By the sounds of the article, FanFest will be there again!
Arny
Champion

:thdn: I was hoping, selfishly, for Kamloops.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Meh I went to Kamloops three years ago and it rained daily...
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
LFITQ
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Meh I went to Kamloops three years ago and it rained daily...
Guess you weren't there the same days I was then ...

But because I would have to travel either way this year. It makes absolutely NO difference to me where it is, unless it was in PG. And PG does NOT have the facilities required to even THINK about hosting it.

And actually, I really liked the way Fan Fest was done last year in Abbotsford. :rockin: And now they are proposing to make it bigger and better ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??