Jake Scott

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

I know he was only a Lion for one year, but he was quite the player and this is a good, if lengthy, read.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... orts-front
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great read. If I recall Scott never played safety with the Lions; he was a flanker.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Great read. If I recall Scott never played safety with the Lions; he was a flanker.
The power of the press :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Great read. If I recall Scott never played safety with the Lions; he was a flanker.
The article if they say he was an NFL Safety isn't wrong. He was both in pro. When he moved to the NFL from BC they switched him to S and IIRC punt returner. Memory a bit foggy.

Will read the story and maybe it will reveal that change.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

More on Jake Scott from
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/gms/07-scott.html

Jake Scott
Position: Defensive Back
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 188 lbs.
Birthdate: July 20, 1945
Birthplace: Greenwood, SC
College: Georgia
Team/Year: Miami; 1970-1975
Washington; 1976-1978
MVP: Super Bowl VII
Other:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around the NFL during the early 1970s they joked that free safety Jake Scott of the Miami Dolphins could only play in home games because airport metal detectors rejected him every time he tried to fly.

At one time, Scott had five stainless steel screws holding together the bones of his right hand, and at least one other metal screw in an elbow he'd fractured playing high school football. He went into Super Bowl VII nursing a separated shoulder. When he intercepted two passes in the Miami victory that gave the Dolphins a purrfect 17-0 record, he was named the game's most valuable player. On another occasion, he played in the Pro Bowl with two broken hands in casts.

Scott left the University of Georgia a year before his class graduated and went to the Canadian Football League where, with the British Columbia Lions, he caught 35 passes for 596 yards and 3 touchdowns. He was offered a three-year, $100,000 contract by the Lions, but after he was picked in the seventh round of the 1970 draft by the Dolphins, he took a $5,000 salary cut to join Miami.

Scott not only was a savvy free safety, but also was a fine return man, averaging 10.5 yards on punt returns and 23 yards on kickoff returns. Though he may have been among the bravest men on the field, he also was no dummy: He set a single-game record (since broken) in 1970 with 6 fair catches against the Buffalo Bills.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Scott played wide receiver in his only year with the Lions in 1969, which was the first time they made the playoffs after their 1964 Grey Cup victory. The team won four of its last five games under replacement coach Jackie Parker. B.C. actually tied Edmonton for third place but won the tiebreaker.

Scott caught a last-play, Hail Mary touchdown pass at Empire Stadium that was one of the most exciting finishes I've ever seen. I can't remember the date or opponent but that play was the difference between making the playoffs or not.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Wasn't he also known for "dogging it" in order to get out of his Lions' contract to pursue NFL aspirations?
Lloyd
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Wasn't he also known for "dogging it" in order to get out of his Lions' contract to pursue NFL aspirations?
I doubt that he dogged it. It was not in his nature but I simply don't recall this.

The article above suggests that AFTER his first year with the Lions they offered him that 3 year deal and he bolted for down home instead despite the NFL being a pay cut.

Remember too that the Lions struggled that year having won of he first 11 games with Paul Brothers at QB (IIRC).

Lion history:
"1969
After 11 games, with a 1-10 record, Coach Champion was replaced by assistant Jackie Parker. The team responded by winning four of their last five games, and with a 5-11 record took third place and made the playoffs. They lost to Calgary, but individually Dave Easley won Rookie of the Year honours, and Jim Young was a Schenley Finalist, losing out to Russ Jackson for Canadian Player of the Year honours."
Tighthead
Legend

It sure as heck sounds like he didn't dog it at anything. Even now, he has a busy schedule of golfing, fishing and drinking - you can't call that dogging it can you?
TheZeppo
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Scott caught a last-play, Hail Mary touchdown pass at Empire Stadium that was one of the most exciting finishes I've ever seen. I can't remember the date or opponent but that play was the difference between making the playoffs or not.
Great memory. I was at that game sitting in the south end zone. I don't remember the date either, but it must have been late in the season because I do remember it being Parker's first game as head coach. BTW,
the opponent was Edmonton.
David
Team Captain

I am a big fan of Lions history and managed to find this result in John Wirtanen's definitive book on the BC Lions, "The First 50 Years."

The game in question was played on Saturday, October 18 against Edmonton and the final score was B.C. 17 Edmonton 14.

Although this game wasn't documented, here is what Mr. Wirtanen had to say about Jake Scott:

"Jake "The Flake" Scott hits town for one season. Against Toronto on July 23rd, he scores a touchdown as Jim Young grabs thirteen catches for 282 yards - to set a new club record. Although Jim puts the game away with less than two minutes to go when he rambles off a 97-yard touchdown, even a neophyte can see Jake is a two-way superstar. He finishes the year with 35 catches, 596 yards, a 17-yard average, and three touchdowns. (Traded to Montreal for Tom Cassese in 1970, Scott abandons the Alouettes to join the Miami Dolphins where he is a four-time All-Pro and five time Pro-Bowler. He plays in Super Bowl VI, VII, and VIII - in Super Bowl VII, he is voted the game MVP.)"

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:The game in question was played on Saturday, October 18 against Edmonton and the final score was B.C. 17 Edmonton 14.
Great work. Now all we need is for someone to post the video of the play on YouTube. The only games I've seen replayed from that era were Grey Cups.
nelson95
Legend

Good luck finding any tapes from that era esp with sound
Give the ball to LeeRoy!