CKNW - Lions ask Carl Kidd to retire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reider
Starter

It was just reported a few minutes ago on cknw.com that the Lions have asked Kidd to retire. Apparently Kidd wants to retire a Lion, but he wants to do it on his own terms. I am sure there will be more to follow.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Noooooooo!!!!!

Carl is such an inspirational, motivational player-maybe they can keep him on as a motivator of sorts-who's going to get the guys fired up? Who's going to run out the flag? This really sucks.
Real women wear orange!!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This has to be Wally's busiest vacation ever.
hwgill
Legend

I was really hoping Kidd would be re-signed, he is a great inspiration to the team, and it would be wonderful for him & us if he, when he's ready, retires as a Lion.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This info is actually from a story in today's Province by Lowell Ullrich. It's subscriber only story by here is a snipet of it.
Carl Kidd has received an offer from the Lions, but it's by no means anything like the one he was seeking.
The pitch from Wally Buono includes a nice press conference and plenty of glowing words from the head coach, but not an announcement of a new deal for the 33-year-old linebacker.
Hours before leaving on vacation on the weekend, Buono asked Kidd to retire. But after securing a second Grey Cup ring with the Lions, Kidd's not willing to accept the sendoff without more thought and may wait until CFL free agency Feb. 16 to learn if he can command a contract from another club.
"[Buono] wasn't casting any stones. He was just saying how he thought my career should end, and I appreciate that," said Kidd.
"I didn't know how to take what Wally was saying. It was a bit like saying softly, 'We're cutting you.' I wanted to be able to be the one to say it's time for me to stop playing."
Buono last week said he had received recommendations from his assistant coaches on Kidd and admitted the time has come for a transition at linebacker to 24-year-old Jamall Johnson, who recently signed a contract extension.
Bit of a shrewd move on Wally's part who knows not bringing Kidd back won't be a popular decision. However, being a UFA means Carl isn't getting cut either.
Tighthead
Legend

I hope Carl keeps playing elsewhere. I would love to see him here, but I enjoy his game too much and he still has a few bullets left.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I understand the age thing somewhat but his play this season says that if wants to go for 1 more season, he has shown enough for the Lions to take the chance. I think this is as much about the Lions realizing that CK is a fan favourite and that letting him go (one way or another) would not be a popular move. If he retires, then they don't play the bad guy.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Charlene

He must stay! He scares the crap out of me..and i like it!

Retire as a Lion, yes...but do it later! :wink:
bbgirl
Legend

He still has a few years left in him. Let him keep playing!
I agree with Charlene.
Tighthead
Legend

I lived through Guy Lafleur's team recommended retirement, and it was bad for everyone.
MacNews
Team Captain

bbgirl wrote:He still has a few years left in him. Let him keep playing!
I agree with Charlene.
If I'm Carl Kidd, I retired on top after winning the GC.
bbgirl
Legend

If he wants to retire now, that's fine. :) I just don't like to see him asked to retire.
Charlene

He shall win the GC again...no worries :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Maybe they want to give him Chaps job :twisted:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

Carl Kidd has been my favorite Leo for years. The only letter I have ever written the Leos involved asking then to resign Carl Kidd after he went south for an NFL tryout. I thought Carl had slowed down in 2005, wasn't playing with his old passion, and believed he had lost a step. Carl was also unhappy last season.

Carl didn't start off this season looking good and I wondered if the Leos should have signed him for the 2006 season, outside of his special teams play. However, from Game 6 on this year Carl Kidd proved his detractors wrong, including myself. He not only was his usual terror on special teams but his linebacker play for the rest of the season was excellent. The team asked Carl to be the speaker at their team dinner, they wanted him introduced last at the Grey Cup game...both reflected the respect of his teammates.

Jamal Johnson is a talent and the Leos have to continue to get younger in order to stay on top. However the Leos have also always carried an extra import linebacker who didn't start. I hoped, on one hand that Carl could play another season as a special teamer and backup linebacer. It will be so hard to say goodbye to him because he's been the heart and soul of our defense for a long time and he bleeds orange and black. No Leo player has also made me laugh like Carl...he's so witty and so upbeat and tough as nails.

At the same time, we have some Canadian linebackers who need to develop and we have to get Jamal playing. It's a tough situation and one that I feel very torn about. Whatever happens Carl Kidd has been a special Leo and watching him play most of his time with the Leos has been a treat!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)