Ottawa officially dead?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BEEECEEE
All Star

http://www.tsn.ca

All offers have been withdrawn. The franchise fee was increased to 5 million from 3.5 million.

Honeslty wtf is the cfl doing? How and who would increase the franchise fee? Does the franchise fee get spread around to the owners of the other 8 teams?
Formely sfu_guy
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I don't see any facts or statements in that article. Just a lot of supposition by a marginal at best Sun writer. Anyone else notice that the article is mostly about D'Angelo? At least the full article I read is. I thought only Marty York used "insiders". :roll: When I hear it from the league or Mr. Palmer himself, then I'll believe it. Until then, it's all speculative nonsense.
Real women wear orange!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Not true, says Palmer. Productive negotiations are taking place. The league is reaffirming that the discussions are ongoing.
Link here.
MacNews
Team Captain

It'd be pretty damn scary if there were no new talks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The league should take as much time as necessary. Just get it right this time.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The league should take as much time as necessary. Just get it right this time.
Good point, but if one waits too long, the risk is that people will find other outlets for their entertainmant dollars.

If it's 2010 for example, I won't be buying ST, as we did last year in Ottawa.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The league should take as much time as necessary. Just get it right this time.
Good point, but if one waits too long, the risk is that people will find other outlets for their entertainmant dollars.

If it's 2010 for example, I won't be buying ST, as we did last year in Ottawa.
Ottawa was missing the first time around for a few years (97 - 02 inclusive) and that longer duration makes the memory ease a little on the pain of the team leaving. At least it must have, as the fans seemed to come out in better numbers than the last time around. I am not saying that it is the correct route this time around, but like was said, you have to get it right this time, or it is gone for a decade or longer.
Entertainment value = an all time low
D
Team Captain

Maybe I have my head in the sand but ...... 1st they narrow down the bid groups and then up the price ..... do these asshats understand the laws of supply and demand :? :? :?
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

D wrote:Maybe I have my head in the sand but ...... 1st they narrow down the bid groups and then up the price ..... do these asshats understand the laws of supply and demand :? :? :?
The BoG has never been big on basic business principles, but if this report turns out to be true, there would have to be another agenda at work IMO.

If the CFL (for whatever reason) does not wish there to be a franchise in Ottawa, then all makes sense.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Solar Max wrote:
D wrote:Maybe I have my head in the sand but ...... 1st they narrow down the bid groups and then up the price ..... do these asshats understand the laws of supply and demand :? :? :?
The BoG has never been big on basic business principles, but if this report turns out to be true, there would have to be another agenda at work IMO.

If the CFL (for whatever reason) does not wish there to be a franchise in Ottawa, then all makes sense.
I can't see the BOG wishing for there not to be a CFL team in Ottawa - they just want it done strictly under coniditions that are best for their individual bank accounts - they could care less about the good of the league - having 9 teams means more interest, exposure, competition - , the Ottawa fans or CFL fans in general; and i also believe some of the geniuses calling the shots there are ticked off that the 2 previous Ottawa ownership groups (Gliber-clowns and Watters) didn't pay a big gouge fee to get back in last times around - and frankly, the notion that a CFL team in Ottawa - a big part of CFL history for decades - should have to pay ANY "expansion" fee to the CFL makes me want to puke (and this is not the same as making sure the new owners are well financed and capable / committed to running the team long-term - i think everyone understands that should be so) - so the BOG think they're going to extract their pound of flesh now on Ottawa owners in thinking the CFL is on the way to being more lucrative (hoping for a much better TV deal next = way more revenue than the current hose-job).
Sorry - this is all bottom-line, greed fueled thinking going on here;
these cheapskate scum-bags on the BOG calling the shots have little regard for the good of the league or making the "proper" decision on Ottawa or any care for the fans there - IMO that is a big smoke-screen that was blown up the ar$es of some gullible media types and fans duped by the BOG bull-crap - the Renegades were "suspended" - yeah right (not Tom Wright however - he got flushed down the toilet too cause he wasn't a good enough little puppet for the CFL BOG string pullers).
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Can't say that I disagree with anything in your post, OV-54:40. Says it all, quite succinctly. :thup:
Glenegade

I can't figure out the league

One withdrew because of Cancer, So that's nobodies fault.

But it's like they're trying to chase owners away. They put up the price and then tell the one guy who will pay anything they're not interested in him.

I just wish they would give us a straight answer
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Maybe the Argos can move to Otterwa when the NFL chases them out of Tee-dot?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Ottawa had better get their team back (x2) because I'm moving there!