Kent Austin To Be Named Rider Head Coach.........Scoop

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reider
Starter

Rammer wrote:
Reider wrote:Does anybody else see the trend in Saskatchewan other than me and another rider fan who visits this site... that GM's lately have been picking rookie head coaches who are their buddies?

IMO Austin wasn't the best candidate of the 4.
I agree with your assessment, but Ritchie is too old for the position, as once he gets started it would be time for him to call it a day as a HC. Based on the three year contract being the guidleline for the results the Riders (Tillman) are looking for.

Oh, I guess you could have meant Cortez.......to me either or would be alright as you won't know until they assume the position. One thing is for sure, while Tillman may have been nice in Barrett's exiting, his diecision to hire a polar opposite in Austin tells me he wants more from the players than he saw Barrett doing. It will be interesting to see if there is more in that lineup or not. Pinkfreud should have a thesis done on the personality differences between Barrett and Austin with the same group of players, and how the Alpha male personality does with the team in 07.

:lol: :lol: :? :?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:Regina would have been wiser to hire Ritchie as Head Coach and Austin as offensive coordinator and Associate Head Coach. Austin could have learned some from the experience and then transitioned in as the Head Coach in a couple of seasons. Tillman has made a risky decision..especially when it's obvious how rigid Austin is in his offensive philosophy, as evidenced in Toronto. Austin was the weakest of the four candidates, with Ritchie, Cortez, and Hall being stronger candidates, based on merit!
I listened to Austin talking to McCown and Brunt on the Fan590 this afternoon. He seems to bristle at the accusations that he's a pass-only guy. He talked about the importance of being able to run the ball to be successful, but also acknowledged that ultimately it is your ability to move the ball in the air that will win championships offensively. I think he was put in a difficult situation in Toronto this year. It can't be easy for an offensive coordinator to spend the winter working on designing an offence then half way through training camp somebody drops a Ricky Williams into your lap and effectively says you have to throw your playbook out the window and change the offence. Austin acknowledged that in Kenton Keith he has an outstanding running back and he'd be foolish not to utilize that talent.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reider
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Blitz wrote:Regina would have been wiser to hire Ritchie as Head Coach and Austin as offensive coordinator and Associate Head Coach. Austin could have learned some from the experience and then transitioned in as the Head Coach in a couple of seasons. Tillman has made a risky decision..especially when it's obvious how rigid Austin is in his offensive philosophy, as evidenced in Toronto. Austin was the weakest of the four candidates, with Ritchie, Cortez, and Hall being stronger candidates, based on merit!
I listened to Austin talking to McCown and Brunt on the Fan590 this afternoon. He seems to bristle at the accusations that he's a pass-only guy. He talked about the importance of being able to run the ball to be successful, but also acknowledged that ultimately it is your ability to move the ball in the air that will win championships offensively. I think he was put in a difficult situation in Toronto this year. It can't be easy for an offensive coordinator to spend the winter working on designing an offence then half way through training camp somebody drops a Ricky Williams into your lap and effectively says you have to throw your playbook out the window and change the offence. Austin acknowledged that in Kenton Keith he has an outstanding running back and he'd be foolish not to utilize that talent.
Kenton Keith is trying his luck in the NFL next season.
DerekDD
Starter

Reider wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Kenton Keith is trying his luck in the NFL next season.
And after he's cut there, he'll be back as a Rider next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DerekDD wrote:
Reider wrote:Kenton Keith is trying his luck in the NFL next season.
And after he's cut there, he'll be back as a Rider next year.
If Tillman wants to clean up the team's image, KK won't be welcomed back.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why, is Keith a trouble maker in the dressing room ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Why, is Keith a trouble maker in the dressing room ?
More like barrooms and bedrooms. :sigh:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Why, is Keith a trouble maker in the dressing room ?
More like barrooms and bedrooms. :sigh:
Oh..... :yes:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Other than Lancaster, who was a disaster during his first HC job in Regina, has there ever been a former QB who went on to become a successful head coach in the CFL?

I'm surprised by this hiring. I agree with an earlier post that Ritchie as HC and Austin as OC and heir apparent would have been a smarter move. I think the risk of Austin pulling a "Dunnigan" is much too high.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I can't recall as a Head Coach but John Hufnagel was a pretty decent Offensive Coordinator.
Blitz
Team Captain

John Hufnagel was a pretty decent Offensive Coordinator
He was a brilliant offensive coordinator!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A detailed article about Kent Austin during his first week as head coach. He is busy moving his family (back) to Regina.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=14264