Canadian NFL Fans

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Chris25

Ok. I got a question for Canadians who are fans of the NFL. How did you become a fan of the team that you cheer for? Do you root for say the 49ers because a parent or another family member before you did. Is it just a matter which team is in your extended market? So, if you live in southern Ontario do you root for Buffalo or Detroit? If you live in Vancouver, do you root for Seattle, or San Francisco? If you live in Quebec, do you root for New England or a New York team? What if, like me, you live in Saskatchewan. Who the hell do you root for then? Denver? I have no idea.

I've been watching the NFL for as long as I've been watching the CFL, and I've never developed an affinity for any particular team.

I've probably given this far to much thought, but its just something that crosses my mind every time NFL season rolls around.
Tighthead
Legend

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, and in the early 80s Dallas was on the tube most weekends. I became a fan.

Not much of a story.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I love the Seahawks being a Vancouverite and Raiders because they were are bunch of successful misfits.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I cheered for Detroit because of Barry
I cheered for the Raiders because of Fernandez and Bo
I cheered for New England because of Flutie
I cheered for the Bills first because I like the name and uniform, then Flutie
I cheered for SD because of Flutie, and then LT
I cheered for Miami because of Flipper and Marino
I cheered for the Oilers because of Moon

I cheer for ex CFL players that I like, I cheer for teams that play a style I like or have a player whose play I like, and sometimes I just cheer for the team name or colors. Once I start cheering hard for a team, I usually keep cheering for them to some degree.

I cheer for Indy cause I like the name and P. Manning
I cheer for Philly cause I like the name, and have been a long time Flyer fan
I cheer for SD, NE and the Raiders out of habit
I cheer for Baltimore because of McNair (boo Tennessee)
I cheer for Jacksonville because I like the name

Tried often to cheer for the Hawks since they closest to BC, but they have always been dissappointing and boring style, at least until recently. Their uniforms and helmets suck. Still, I do wish them well, when they not playing my favs.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
stansz
Champion

panthers cause that playoff run and superbowl loss was motivating...plus delhomme is classic underdog ...

cheer for colts b/c of manning
pumped!!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

panthers cause that playoff run and superbowl loss was motivating...plus delhomme is classic underdog ...
yeah..them too :thup:
ping

I tell you one thing
no one
i repeat
no one
in
Toronto would ever cheer for the Bills !!!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ping wrote:I tell you one thing
no one
i repeat
no one
in
Toronto would ever cheer for the Bills !!!!
cant tell if you serious or joking.

Everyone knows half of the Bills fans are from lower Ontario.

I am stating the obvious here....right??
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I can't stand those guys who call in to Marjonovich or whomever and want to talk about "my Bears" or "my Bucs" or "my Chargers" yada yada. Dude. You're from friggin' Whalley. Those teams are not "your" anything.

What you are though, is a classic wannabe who wants to look or sound (or both) cool to your friends to cover up your latent insecurity.

Inevitably, these poseurs know diddly about football. Ask them about college football and they fall apart like a Fred Asher suit. As far as they know NFL players are beamed to Earth from another planet. :roll:
Chris81
Rookie

hi
:rockin:
Simon says, 40 yard gain! Section 17, Loudest and Proudest.
O'Shea

For some strange reason I grew up loving the Dallas Cowboys and my appreciation of the NFL grew from there.

Though I haven't cheered for the Cowboys for over a decade.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ask them about college football and they fall apart like a Fred Asher suit. As far as they know NFL players are beamed to Earth from another planet.
that is an unfair statement. I myself have followed NFL as closely as CFL for the last 25 yrs. Got into American College a bit in the 80's. Witnessed heisman trophy performances of the likes of Marcus Allen, H. Walker, Bo, etc
However, I found that there was just too many teams and too many divisions and too high a turn over of players to keep up, so now I dont pay attention to college anymore. Insinuating that anyone who doesnt follow and know college football should not "pretend" too talk about and know NFL is just not right.
Passaglia
All Star

Lions4ever wrote:I can't stand those guys who call in to Marjonovich or whomever and want to talk about "my Bears" or "my Bucs" or "my Chargers" yada yada. Dude. You're from friggin' Whalley. Those teams are not "your" anything.

What you are though, is a classic wannabe who wants to look or sound (or both) cool to your friends to cover up your latent insecurity.

Inevitably, these poseurs know diddly about football. Ask them about college football and they fall apart like a Fred Asher suit. As far as they know NFL players are beamed to Earth from another planet. :roll:
I can't stand the guys that phone the Canucks post-game show and say " I'm a season ticket holder and was at tonight's game." How is the fact that you're a ticket holder relevent to the post-game show and the comment you want to make? It's as if season ticket holders' opinions are much more important than fans who do not attend every single game.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Ask them about college football and they fall apart like a Fred Asher suit. As far as they know NFL players are beamed to Earth from another planet.
that is an unfair statement. I myself have followed NFL as closely as CFL for the last 25 yrs. Got into American College a bit in the 80's. Witnessed heisman trophy performances of the likes of Marcus Allen, H. Walker, Bo, etc
However, I found that there was just too many teams and too many divisions and too high a turn over of players to keep up, so now I dont pay attention to college anymore. Insinuating that anyone who doesnt follow and know college football should not "pretend" too talk about and know NFL is just not right.
I'm not sure that was my point exactly, but if you think I should be more tolerant of the phone in phoneys...okay...I guess.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Passaglia wrote:I can't stand the guys that phone the Canucks post-game show and say " I'm a season ticket holder and was at tonight's game." How is the fact that you're a ticket holder relevent to the post-game show and the comment you want to make? It's as if season ticket holders' opinions are much more important than fans who do not attend every single game.
Apparently, season ticket holders think they give themselves more credibility when they state that fact as there is, to some degree, some loyalty to the team and knowledge of them game. They think that there are a lot of phonies out there who just jump on the bandwagon or don't know much about the game. I think it's safe to conclude that Robin Stickley who did the Paul McCallum interview is not a Lions season holder. Although at the same time, I'm sure there's season ticket holders who may not know about certain things if I nitpick. For example, I still think that very few season ticket holders knew that there was going to be a trophy presentation after the West Division Final.