Grey Cup Post Game Thoughts!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dan Russell
Legend

Balraj wrote:I thought the lions played well enough to win. Some question whether Dave should be the MVP of the game, and I think he should. Sure Cahoon deserves some credit since he was the only alouette to actually come out and play. But Dickenson is the one who kept drives alive, got those key first downs with his legs when he needed them, and found open recievers in a pretty good Montreal D. McCallum deserves the top Canadian, but will he complain, he left a team after so many years and what does he do, he wins a grey cup.
Leo the Lion was on the field during the player introductions.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:\!
There will be time to think more about that in the off-season. I'm kicking back savoring this victory right now!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Enjoy the off-season Blitz. You more than anyone deserves to just let it wash over you like the tide on that great west coast at your doorstep.

It's another tequila sunrise my old friend!

Congratulations!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

Balraj wrote:Where was leo the lion tonight, I saw the Als mascot, but not leo. Another question is why the clock was continously stopping during the late stages of the game, when the Als were running the ball? I know in the NFL it continues to run until a player steps out of bounds, is an incomplete pass or there's a time out.
Clock stops until the ref has set the play up to run in the last 3 minutes. So the Als had to use the hurry up O to snap at the refs signal of the twenty second clock to run, and the game clock to begin again at that time.
Entertainment value = an all time low
obs
Champion

> I would still vote for the '85 team but this one would be right there with them.

One of the things to remember about the 85 team was that they won the Grey Cup game with their top receiver (Fernandez) out, as well as their top running back (Anthony Parker ?).

This year's team could have won without Simon, but I don't know if they could have won without Simon and Smith.
Rammer
Team Captain

obs wrote:> I would still vote for the '85 team but this one would be right there with them.

One of the things to remember about the 85 team was that they won the Grey Cup game with their top receiver (Fernandez) out, as well as their top running back (Anthony Parker ?).

This year's team could have won without Simon, but I don't know if they could have won without Simon and Smith.
That is true, but look at the domination at the awards ceremony ofthe 06 side. The Lions were capable of winning games in any of the three phases of the game. The GC was won by ST and D, the Rider game had all three phases in motion. Then if you look at how the depth was used in the 06 season, well it has to go down as the best talent depth wise that the Lions have ever had on one team, IMHO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

YEAH BABY WE DA BEST!!!!!!! :rockin:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Blitz
Team Captain

It would be interesting to compare the stats for the 2004 and 2006 Grey Cup games. I'm guessing that there would be a whole lot less fewer first downs given up by our defense but Robbie would know best!

Carl Kidd was hilarious being interviewed on the airplane ride back home. When asked what it would take to keep this team together he basically said something like Wally would have to be willing to spend more money with a huge smile on his face. The guy has always been a great character...one of our most memorable ever!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pinkfreud

He said it would take Wally opening up his wallet.

:lol:
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Carl Kidd was hilarious being interviewed on the airplane ride back home. When asked what it would take to keep this team together he basically said something like Wally would have to be willing to spend more money with a huge smile on his face. The guy has always been a great character...one of our most memorable ever!!
Right you are Blitz. I think several years from now, the loquacious linebacker will be regarded as one of the most popular Leos of all-time. I would be very surprised if #26 is left off the Ring Of Honour. I think with his selfless performance this year, his place in Lions history is cemented.

Javy Glatt had some interesting things to say about Carl this morning on TEAM1040. When Javy broke into the league, Carl was an a$$hole to him and verbally abused him....showing the rookie that he had to earn his friendship. Now he can't say enough good things about Carl Kidd. He said Carl works tirelessly in the community promoting this organization. He really loves the B.C. Lions and its fans.

He also said that most of what Carl says is controversial, throwaway stuff....but then he'll reveal that one nugget of wisdom "something so profound and philosophical" as he put it, that he's really learned a lot from the man.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

I think several years from now, the loquacious linebacker will be regarded as one of the most popular Leos of all-time
He said Carl works tirelessly in the community promoting this organization. He really loves the B.C. Lions and its fans.
You can't have as sharp a wit as Carl does without being bright. He's also got a great sense of humour! He loves talking trash and he is one tough guy but he's been the heart and soul of that defense for a number of seasons. I was really happy that Carl did two things this season...he accepted his role in the multi-package defense of Ritchie and got his passion and love of the game back after a frustrating season last year.

Carl Kidd loves the Leos...no doubt about that...he bleeds orange and black!! Will he be back...probably not. However, his play on special teams has been fantastic the last two seasons and after Game 6 this year he played very, very well at linebacker. If he's gone I'm thrilled he finished his final season they way he did...the Leos all chose for Carl to speak at the team banquet so that's what his teammates thought of him. If he's back it will be great to have him back for one more season!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
rb
Champion

Rammer wrote:
obs wrote:> I would still vote for the '85 team but this one would be right there with them.

That is true, but look at the domination at the awards ceremony ofthe 06 side. The Lions were capable of winning games in any of the three phases of the game. The GC was won by ST and D, the Rider game had all three phases in motion. Then if you look at how the depth was used in the 06 season, well it has to go down as the best talent depth wise that the Lions have ever had on one team, IMHO.
The roster has been expanded by several import players in the last two decades, so you can't really compare depth in that manner because it simply wasn't available to the '85 team.

The '85 team went 13-3, the best record ever by a Lions' team. Strong in all facets of the game, too. 2nd in the league in points scored, 2nd best in points against. Thumped a very good Wpg team (12-4, best in both points scored and allowed) in the WDF 42-22. And, as mentioned by OBS, did it in the playoffs without the league's outstanding player and without their leading rusher. That team, relative to their opposition, was just as dominant as this year's squad.
Blitz
Team Captain

The roster has been expanded by several import players in the last two decades, so you can't really compare depth in that manner because it simply wasn't available to the '85 team.
Great point rb and one I hadn't thought about....thanks!! Makes me relook at the notion that this is the best team ever. Our Grey Cup win on Sunday was great but it was not dominating, especially on offence..and we had all our weapons available.

However, it was still a very enjoyable team to watch play. I can't remember enjoying watching a Leos defense play like this one!!!
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Wally Buono on Javier Glatt's forced turnover at the goal-line:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 80&k=67238
Mike Beamish wrote:"You can talk about great runs and passing plays, but tell me the last time you saw something like that?" Buono asked. "There might be one play like that in 25 years."
To be fair, Wally, it happened earlier this year in Montreal! :lol:
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Actually, the chop block call was the right one, albeit a rule that doesn't get dusted off very often.

The rule is this -- a lineman executing a chop block must do so right away, on the line and in the "free zone", which is tackle to tackle, one yard either side of the line. You can't do delayed chop blocks anymore, as too many guys were getting their knees taken out. In practical terms, what it means is that you cannot engage with a guy or, "invite him in", as it were, then go down and chop him.

This is a relatively new rule, but one that doesn't get called very often due to the fact it is hard to see and enforce. On that one, they could see it, so they called it.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
MacNews
Team Captain

Leo_in_TO wrote:
Mike Beamish wrote:"You can talk about great runs and passing plays, but tell me the last time you saw something like that?" Buono asked. "There might be one play like that in 25 years."
To be fair, Wally, it happened earlier this year in Montreal! :lol:
Think about it this way:

-It was during a Grey Cup game

-It was Glatt's first season at MLB