Training camp 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Terrell has been listed as 5'8"; 5'9"; 5'10" and 210 lbs; 213lbs. All of which seem a little more CFL sized than NFL size for a RB. To me, I think the 210lbs and over, for blocking and inside running is the more important stat.
Qman
Champion

I think both stanback and mizzell will be on active roster this season. But one on the 45 each week. They will 1 game the other. This how they ran the backs pre-Covid. Always had two. One guy got 12 games and other 6. Plus they had Rainey if needed.
RB is one of the most punishing positions. No way your back stays healthy all season.

They probably carry a third back on pr, and cut the 4th guy.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions debuted a new-look FanFest featuring three separate events on Saturday, Play with the Pros for kids in the morning, a scrimmage at Hillside Stadium in the afternoon and a downtown block party with food, games, vendor booths, entertainment and player autographs in the evening. Previously all events were held together at Hillside Stadium. Despite the stripped-down format, a healthy crowd that at least equalled that of recent years was on hand for the scrimmage, which began with first-year Lions singing O Canada.

Running back Will Stanback, who sat out Friday's practice, also sat out the scrimmage, along with players who have been nursing injuries all week. Christian Covington and Ryder Varga were dressed in pads but Marcus Moore took Covington's place on the first-team defensive line. There were no other changes in the first-team offence and defence.

The scrimmage format called for the first, second and third teams to alternate after each possession, whether it ended in a touchdown, field goal attempt, punt or turnover.

Unofficially, Vernon Adams completed 7 of 12 passes, with a TD to Ayden Eberhardt and an interception. Jake Dolegala was 5 of 9 with a long TD to Stanley Berryhill and an interception that bounced off a receiver's chest. Dakota Prukop, who split third-team reps with Chase Brice, was just 1 of 4 and Brice was 5 of 9.

Third-team rookie Ed Lee led all receivers with 3 nice catches. Eberhardt had 2, including his diving TD grab in the corner of the end zone. Travis Fugham, Alex Hollins, Taquan Mizzell and second-team WR/KR Terry Williams all had 2 catches. Jeff Cotton, Devin Revenil and Jalon Sample had 1 each.

First-team centre Michael Couture had 3 bad snaps that disrupted Adams' timing.

Rookie running back Percy Agyei-Obese had the only rushing TD of the scrimmage.

Defensively, rookie linebacker Kesean Brown had an interception on a tipped ball. Adrian Greene had an interception off Adams. Free-agent rush end Pete Robertson, who has been a force in camp, knocked down an Adams pass at the line of scrimmage. Rookie DB Christophe Beaulieu had 2 knockdowns in the secondary. Fellow DB Chris Cooper also had a knockdown. Manny Rugamba was credited with a sack.

Kickers and punters also alternated throughout the scrimmage. Sean Whyte was accurate as usual on placekicks, while Global rookie Carl Meyer missed several attempts but showed everyone his strong leg on two 47-yard attempts at the end of the scrimmage, with fellow players crowded around heckling him in order to simulate game pressure. Meyer was wide on the first attempt but hit the second. Both balls sailed through the 20-yard end zone.

Players will have a short walkthrough Sunday. Regular practice resumes with a double practice from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Monday.
don corleone
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:39 pm
The Lions debuted a new-look FanFest featuring three separate events on Saturday, Play with the Pros for kids in the morning, a scrimmage at Hillside Stadium in the afternoon and a downtown block party with food, games, vendor booths, entertainment and player autographs in the evening. Previously all events were held together at Hillside Stadium. Despite the stripped-down format, a healthy crowd that at least equalled that of recent years was on hand for the scrimmage, which began with first-year Lions singing O Canada.

Running back Will Stanback, who sat out Friday's practice, also sat out the scrimmage, along with players who have been nursing injuries all week. Christian Covington and Ryder Varga were dressed in pads but Marcus Moore took Covington's place on the first-team defensive line. There were no other changes in the first-team offence and defence.

The scrimmage format called for the first, second and third teams to alternate after each possession, whether it ended in as touchdown, field goal attempt, punt or turnover.

Unofficially, Vernon Adams completed 7 of 12 passes, with a TD to Ayden Eberhardt and an interception. Jake Dolegala was 5 of 9 with a long TD to Stanley Berryhill and an interception that bounced off a receiver's chest. Dakota Prukop, who split third-team reps with Chase Brice, was just 1 of 4 and Brice was 5 of 9.

Third-team rookie Ed Lee led all receivers with 3 nice catches. Eberhardt had 2, including his diving TD grab in the corner of the end zone. Travis Fugham, Alex Hollins, Taquan Mizzell and second-team WR/KR Terry Williams all had 2 catches. Jeff Cotton, Devin Revenil and Jalon Sample had 1 each.

First-team centre Michael Couture had 3 bad snaps that disrupted Adams' timing.

Rookie running back Percy Agyei-Obese had the only rushing TD of the scrimmage.

Defensively, rookie linebacker Kesean Brown had an interception on a tipped ball. Adrian Greene had an interception off Adams. Free-agent rush end Pete Robertson, who has been a force in camp, knocked down an Adams pass at the line of scrimmage. Rookie DB Christophe Beaulieu had 2 knockdowns in the secondary. Fellow DB Chris Cooper also had a knockdown. Manny Rugamba was credited with a sack.

Kickers and punters also alternated throughout the scrimmage. Sean Whyte was accurate as usual on placekicks, while Global rookie Carl Meyer missed several attempts but showed everyone his strong leg on two 47-yard attempts at the end of the scrimmage, with fellow players crowded around heckling him in order to simulate game pressure. Meyer was wide on the first attempt but hit the second. Both balls sailed through the 20-yard end zone.

Players will have a short walkthrough Sunday. Regular practice resumes with a double practice from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Monday.
Bravo B.C.FAN. Great report once again.

Thank you for taking the time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

And to follow up the downtown FanFest street party is a huge success. It's a good set up with the usual kids stuff like bouncy castles, face painting as well as promotional booths for the Lions, Grey Cup and other Kamloops sponsors. Lots of food and beverage along with live music. It was comfortably full of Lions fans of all ages. And of course all the players and coaches were there along with other Lions staff like Vienneau, Chayka, McEvoy etc.

An ominous black cloud made me take the discretion is the better part of valour route and get down the the Shark Club for the Canucks game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Some scrimmage highlights posted by the Lions social media team:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:30 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 8:15 am
Stanback seemed to he getting the day off today. I wonder if that was to give the other 3, Mizzell, Agyei-Obese and newcomer Terrell big chunks of reps. For only arriving yesterday Terrell (5'10 210) did not look at all out of place.
They must really like Terrell to sign him with camp already underway. Wonder if they will move on completely from Mizzell?
Terrell is an interesting acquisition. His 40 speed at his pro day was a ho-hum 4.61, but at 5-8, 213 lbs. (what he's listed at on the "Draft Scout Player Profile" site), he is compact and looks to be very strong. Below is a very brief account I ran across in a piece on small-college prospects (and Terrell's Barton College in North Carolina is about as small as it gets, with only 1150 undergraduate students!). Terrell is the 3rd player profiled. His strength is pretty obvious:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... ial-teams/

Terrell is in good company in that article as Mike Hohensee is apparently getting a lot of praise from Dallas.
Might be a good list to be on after all.

Great reports on the TC guys.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 7:10 pm
Some scrimmage highlights posted by the Lions social media team:
That top left clip is a fantastic view of Eberhardt's spectacular TD catch.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Many thanks to BC Fan and Hambone for their comprehensive training camp reports. Sure beats Squire Barnes and Global. Do they even know that training camp is under way ??
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:39 pm

I just went into Google Earth and used the app's ruler on Hillside thinking of those Meyer converts and shorter FGs that were one and two hopping into the buildings in behind the track and endzone. I couldn't get a totally accurate read as there's a roof overhanging the space between the track and buildings. It's 42 yards from the goal line to the outer edge of the outside lane of the track. I'm guessing maybe another yard or at most two between the track and locker room doors. Yikes!
David
Team Captain

Has Meyer been doing any of the kick-offs?

I always thought the Alouettes/Argos had an advantage when Boris Bede would blast kick-offs down to the goal line or 5 yard line. Most returners aren't making it to the 35 if your cover team is worth its salt.

As a sidenote, one battle I want to learn more about is at linebacker. I saw an interview the other day with linebackers coach Travis Brown in which he called this the most talented group across the board that he's been a part of, so I believe there's a solid group of newcomers. :yahoo:

Hladik at WILL, Woods/Varga at MIKE, ? at SAM, (Rugamba at nickel?)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:19 am
Has Meyer been doing any of the kick-offs?

I always thought the Alouettes/Argos had an advantage when Boris Bede would blast kick-offs down to the goal line or 5 yard line. Most returners aren't making it to the 35 if your cover team is worth its salt.

As a sidenote, one battle I want to learn more about is at linebacker. I saw an interview the other day with linebackers coach Travis Brown in which he called this the most talented group across the board that he's been a part of, so I believe there's a solid group of newcomers. :yahoo:

Hladik at WILL, Woods/Varga at MIKE, ? at SAM, (Rugamba at nickel?)

DH :cool:
Meyer and Flintoft were sharing kickoffs and punting yesterday. Flintoft was actually looking better than usual on kickoffs. Things were at times a bit deceiving as there was a decent wind blowing out of the north.

Until yesterday I hadn't noticed Meyer punting but he and Flintoft were both doing punting drills. Meyer was looking pretty good but at times inconsistent. He looked a bit stiff-legged in his punting motion and didn't seem to have the same sort of follow-thru you'd typically see with a punter. He still displayed some good hang time with most being in the 45+ range. Almost all of his rugby kicking would have been place kicking so he's probably a project when it comes to punting.

At LB right now it's Woods at MAC backed up by Varga with Hladik at WIL backed up by Lokombo. No doubt Varga and Lokombo will rotate in for a variety of down and distance packages. Like last year Rugamba is SAM/Nickel. I didn't pay much attention to see who was getting reps for him. KeSean Brown was noticeable in his reps. I can't say as I paid attention as to whether they were at WIL or MAC. BCF might be able to chime in on that.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Kamloops sun was shining Monday morning as the second week of training camp got fully under way with a double practice in advance of the Lions' first preseason game Saturday afternoon in Calgary. The intensity really ramped up when the pads came on for the second half of practice. Prized free-agent RB Will Stanback was back in action after taking a few maintenance days Friday and Saturday. Andrew Peirson was at centre for Michael Couture, who took a "vet day" Monday. There were no other changes in the first-unit offence that has been together since the opening of camp, with Alex Hollins, Travis Fulgham, Justin McInnis, Ayden Eberhardt and Jevon Cottoy taking all first-team reps at receiver.

On defence, Marcus Sayles was in uniform and a full participant for the first time after taking last week off to rehab a case of tendonitis. DB Patrice Rene and DT Christian Covington were also back in uniform but were limited participants. Covington, fellow DT Nathan Cherry, LB Ryder Varga and backup fullback Dylan St. Pierre again spent most of the morning doing light workouts in the end zone, where they were joined for the first time by DT Josh Banks.

The injury-depleted first-unit defence featured Garry Peters and rookie Tyon Davis at cornerback, Sayles and Ciante Evans at halfback and Adrian Greene at safety. With Banks and Covington limited, Marcus Moore and Tibo Debaillie took first-team reps at DT, with Pete Robertson and Sione Teuhema at defensive end as usual. The first-team linebackers have been unchanged throughout camp, with Josh Woods at MIKE, Ben Hladik at WILL and Manny Rugamba at SAM.

Rookie American DB Ronald Kent, who filled in for Sayles last week, took second-team reps, with fellow rookie Duke Dawson back from injury at the other halfback spot, second-year national Siriman Bagyogo and American rookie Jordan Perryman on the corners and rookie national Christophe Beaulieu at safety. Rookie American Forrest Rhyne was at linebacker and with Kesean Brown, who had an interception in Saturday's scrimmage. Fellow rookie Chris Cooper was at SAM. The second-team D-line featured American rookies Sam Burton and Domenic Quewon at ends, with Jonah Tavai and 2021 first-round draft pick Daniel Joseph inside. The Lions will likely take a rookie-filled lineup to Calgary on Saturday, so the second teamers will get plenty of chance to show what they can do.

Jevon Cottoy, who was largely ignored in the passing game last week, caught the first pass in team play on a short crosser Monday and quickly took it upfield. He was targeted 4 other times in team play or skelly, catching 3. His backup, former Westshore Rebel Kieran Poissant, even got into the action on a checkdown from Jake Dolegala. Vernon Adams picked on Sayles on his first day back, completing passes across the middle to Eberhardt, Fulgham and Hollins with Sayles in coverage. Fulgham also caught a deep sideline route against Rugamba, and Hollins made a deep sideline catch that might have been out of bounds. Evans had a knockdown. Stanback was effective with a nice off-tackle run on a toss from Adams, and made several catches in the flat. It's been said before, but he will be a big addition to the offence. Taquan Mizzell continued to take second-team reps at running back. Newly signed RB Jordan Terrell had a nice run against the blitz.

Terry Williams continued to catch passes from Dolegala on the second team offence. Jassin States-McClean, part of a deep crop of national DBs vying for roster spots, had a pick-6 on Dolegala's first pass in team play. Kent knocked down Dakota Prukop's first pass, but Prukop hit American rookie Ed Lee on a post pattern on the next play.

In skelly, second-team WR Jeff Cotton made a nice sideline grab against rookie national Charlie Ringland. Ringland had an interception on an overthrow by Prukop.

To answer David's question about kickers, rookie Global kicker Carl Meyer seems to have about 10 yards more distance than veteran Sean Whyte on field goal attempts, but can't seem to match veteran American Stefan Flintoft on punts and kickoffs. In Saturday's scrimmage, Flintoft was booming his kickoffs 70 to 75 yards, while Meyer's travelled 60 to 65 yards. On Monday, Flintoft sailed many of his punts 50 to 55 yards from the line of scrimmage, outdistancing Meyer by about 5 yards on average. Meyer, who will likely get most if not all kicking reps on Saturday, got extra work on field goals Monday. Whyte was good on 2 attempts form 40 and 45 yards. Meyer hit 6 of 7 at distances ranging from 32 to 41 yards. All of Meyer's kicks sailed well through the end zone. There is little chance of a missed Meyer field goal being returned unless the Lions let him try from 60.
don corleone
All Star

B.C. secondary will be one of the best in the league. Peters, Sayles, Evans will literally be hard to beat with good options for the other two spots. They won't need to go National but maybe can if Bagayogo can win the corner job. Kent sounds like a solid player that will stick as well.

For the O, I am hoping George Una is showing well.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:26 pm
B.C. secondary will be one of the best in the league. Peters, Sayles, Evans will literally be hard to beat with good options for the other two spots. They won't need to go National but maybe can if Bagayogo can win the corner job. Kent sounds like a solid player that will stick as well.

For the O, I am hoping George Una is showing well.
Una has been pretty invisilbe at right guard on the third-team offence. He played some centre in rookie camp. I'd have to think that Andrew Peirson and Tyler Packer are ahead of him, and the Lions usually dress only one backup O-lineman.

I neglected to mention there were a few number changes today that may or may not be significant. Chris Cooper, who has been noticeable at SAM on the second-team defence, switched from number 11 to 42. Number 11, of course, has belonged to Stefan Flintoft for several years. In a similar vein, rookie American Tyon Davis, who has playing first-team cornerback, switched from 12 to 39. Number 12 has belonged to practice roster QB Chase Brice since last year. Finally, rookie Devin Ravenel, who has made some good plays at receiver on the third team, switched from 79 to 84. Numbers in the 80s are more prestigious for receivers than those in the 70s. Second-round draft pick Ezechiel Tieide was given number 80. He's playing behind Jevon Cottoy and former Westshore Rebel Kieran Poissant, who is wearing the same number 74 that he wore before being released last year. Only non-roster invitee Colton Meikle of the Kamloops Broncos (72) wears a number in the lower 70s.

Read into that what you will.