Jim Popp out, Jacques Chapdelaine named Als' interim coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:Chap should have a positive effect on the offense, and that might be enough to keep the wolves at bay for the last stretch of the season, even if the wins don't come.

I always got the sense that he just rubbed folks the wrong way, lacked the charisma to motivate and lead. And, truth be told, his record as an OC is not spectacular either. He's had some good years, but I wasn't sorry to see him go. Maybe it's his time now.

I doubt that Thorpe or Reed are bent out of shape over this. Calvillo maybe, because he put his authority on the line and lost, but I have a feeling that coaching may not be for him long term anyways. Chap's appointment is just a situational thing where Chap fit the bill perfectly as an interim guy. No guarantees for next year, even for Popp.
Chap is not charismatic or warm. He is methodical, detached, task focused. Chapdelaine was highly regarded by Leo players as Geroy Simon, Jason Clermont, Dave Dickenson, and Ryan Thelwell and less so by Casey Printers, Ricky Ray, and Andrew Harris (but Harris was not happy with Khari Jones or Cortez either... and Harris had his best seasons with Chapdelaine)

As a football fan I was a tough critic of Chapdelaine in B.C. in 2005-2006 and 2009-2010. Chapdelaine, during those times as our OC was a pass first, pure spread offence coordinator. He learned the pro spread offence under George Cortez and used the spread offence play book from the Calgary spread offence of the early 1990's. It was how Chap was trained and the offensive system Wally wanted to be used.

It was an offence that focused on execution. In the sometimes strange world of Wally, Chap called the plays and coached the passing game but Dorazio designed the running game. Chapdelaine left B.C. at the end of 2006, knowing that Benevedes was Wally's favored assistant but was brought back to B.C. in 2008, at the request of some key Leo players,

I was not a fan of the pure spread offence and still am not. I referred to Chap's 2005-2010 version of the spread offence as 'Chap Ball' (even though it really was not his offensive system) and often found it frustrating. The spread offence was primarily a pocket passing offence designed for a quarterback who can go through his reads quickly and throw with accuracy. It is not an offence designed for a mobile quarterback who can bootleg and throw on the move. It was basically a plug and play offence rather than an offence designed for the personnel a team has, including the style of quarterback.

Part way through 2011, with both our offence and defense struggling (we went 0-5 to start the season) Chap made significant changes to the offence.

Because our Leos have mostly used the pure spread offence under Khari Jones and George Cortez) I have to think that those were changes that Chap wanted to make himself in 2011.

Chap began to use more misdirection, more rollouts, more motion, more formations, more play action and throw to his back out of the backfield a lot more. Lulay, never a quick read pocket style passer, started to thrive with the adaptions. We went on to win the Grey Cup in 2011 and had the best offence in the CFL in 2012.

With Lulay hurt in 2013, DeMarco forced to play, Buck Pierce thrown into the mix, and our running game struggling with Dorazio's blocking scheme, Chap took all the heat. Dorazio made changes to the blocking towards the end of the season for the running attack, Stefan Logan was signed post mid-season, and our offence was revitalized. Lulay came back to play against the Riders in the playoff game but we lost a close one (our offence played well) and Stubler was gone and Chap and Buono parted ways.

The Riders hired Chapdelaine over Paul LaPolice and others in 2015. The Riders offence, with Chap leading them, was the best in the CFL under Durrant and Glenn but could not sustain that level with their third string quarterback.

Chap led Laval to its first ever Vanier Cup and turned that program around as a HC. Due to the length of his tenure as an OC in the CFL he has had some excellent years and a few not so good.

His offences with our Leos ranked Top 3 in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2012. He had the best CFL offence in 2006 and 2012. Even in 2013, the season that led to his downfall, we were 4th in points scored, even with Lulay's injury plaqued season and playing DeMarco for 6 games. His only down seasons were in Edmonton in 2007 and with our Leos was in 2009. In 2010 (when we went used 4 quarterbacks) our offence was 4th in the CFL.

I consider Mark Trestmann, Chapdelaine, along with HC John Hufnagel as the coaches who have made the most changes to the pure spread offence that dominated CFL offensive thinking for so long.

Trestman integrated a West Coast flavor to the CFL spread offence. He used multiple formations and a complex, quick-rhythm passing attack complemented by a diverse screen package as the basis of his offence in Montreal. Chapdelaine introduced a lot of different personell packages, misdirection, motion, and tight end sets to B.C. in 2011, in his new version of offence that I termed Jaques Ball.

Hufnagel re-introduced a dominant running attack back to the CFL as HC in Calgary. The former Calgary OC, who had introduced the spread offence to the CFL also focused on drafting and developing offensive lineman, introducing innovative blocking schemes, and creating new ways to exploit CFL zone defenses with his passing game.

I believe Chap will make positive changes to Montreal's offence and will improve things in Montreal for the remainder of the season. That may or may not lead to more wins there. I believe Chap is a better offensive coordinator than George Cortez or Khari Jones. Khari Jones really benefits from having a quarterback like Jennings who can make all the throws and has great poise in the pocket. There is nothing innovative about Khari Jones offence here in B.C. It's very vanilla.

I don't think it was Popp's call in Montreal to relinquish the HC duties. While he participated In the decision of Chap's hiring the owners were very involved and led the process.

No matter who is hired in Montreal as HC next year, its an issue going forward. If Thorpe is snubbed (and he was forced to remain in Montreal this year due to his contract), I can't see him being happy there next season. Cavillo saw himself as the heir apparent to the Head Coaching role and now he has Chap, his former assistant, as his HC and making changes to 'his' offence. Reed, as a former HC would view himself as having been the most qualified for the Interim HC job and can't be happy. Montreal owners said Cavillo, Thorpe and Reed would be able to apply next season for the HC job, in part to keep their options open but also in part so that they would not be too disgruntled for the remainder of this season.

Popp has been relieved of his duties as HC and owners can't be happy with his decision to become the HC for the fourth time and really mess it up this time. Popp may or may not be in Montreal next year.

It's a dogs breakfast.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Popp has been relieved of his duties as HC and owners can't be happy with his decision to become the HC for the fourth time and really mess it up this time. Popp may or may not be in Montreal next year.

It's a dogs breakfast.
If the team is indeed over the cap and misses the playoffs (a near certainty) after giving up their first round draft pick while having all sorts of negative publicity all season long, Popp deserves to be sent packing. What more could he do wrong?

The revolving door at QB and in the coaches since Calvillo's retirement as a QB suggests to me that Popp has been overrated as a manager. Unlike Wally and Hufnagel, he never created a environment where succession could take place properly at any level of the organization.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Blitz wrote:

It's a dogs breakfast.
If the team is indeed over the cap and misses the playoffs (a near certainty) after giving up their first round draft pick while having all sorts of negative publicity all season long, Popp deserves to be sent packing. What more could he do wrong?

The revolving door at QB and in the coaches since Calvillo's retirement as a QB suggests to me that Popp has been overrated as a manager. Unlike Wally and Hufnagel, he never created a environment where succession could take place properly at any level of the organization.
Could not agree more. Wallly retired with a quality team left in place with Lulay, Reilly, Harris, Simon, Archibald, Jovan Olafioye, Aaron Hunt, Mitchell, Keron Williams, Elimimian, Marsh, Korey Banks, Ryan Phillips, and Paul McCallum returning for 2012. He may have gotten Benevedes wrong but the team that he left had so much talent that Chap and Stubler just kept things going successfully in 2012. Wally guessed wrong on Lulay's injury, we never found a center for too long to replace Reid, and it took Tedford to find Jennings but overall, Buono did have a succession plan that was mostly good.

Hufnagel did the same in Calgary. Dickenson inherited a very talented team and Hufnagel has brought in players to make it even better this season.

Popp had no quarterback in place to succeed Cavillo, no coach in his sights to replace Trestmann, and he should not have fired Higgins so early. Higgins had just beat our Leos in Vancouver when he fired him. Popp just wanted the job. He took it and the results are obvious.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No secret Popp was looking to go to the NFL. Was Jim Popp auditioning for a position down south ? If so, he failed miserably.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Montreal's problems were foreseeable years ago when they were a powerhouse. They did little to search for a QB to groom during all those years. Calvillo, Trestman and Popp all did the Als a disservice by ignoring a situation that any reasonable person could see was going to be a problem the moment that Calvillo either retired or suffered a serious injury. Maybe grooming a QB wasn't in their skill set. They didn't groom Calvillo after all and the team has as yet not groomed one that is still in the league (mostly since they were reincarnated) (leastwise, I can't think of a QB that ever came out of Montreal and successfully had a career afterwards with another team). To little, too late. They should have started this process as far back as 2011 or 2012. Calvillo's clock was ticking and they should have been full press into QB replacement search at that point. They just didn't get it done. Popp has not successfully hired a replacement coach for Trestman either so as a coach he has been a failure and as a GM largely the last 5 years he has been a failure as well. His time is done unless he can somehow luck out with a solid final 3rd of the season and then a solid HC hiring.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting article which looks at the personality of Chap, the challenge that he has, with comments from Buono and Simon.

Inside the CFL: Cerebral Jacques Chapdelaine optimistic he can reverse Alouettes' fortunes

Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette
Published on: September 23, 2016 |

The call that forever changed Jacques Chapdelaine’s life — time will tell whether it was for the good or bad — came last Saturday, after flying home to Abbotsford, B.C., following the Alouettes’ ninth defeat in 12 games the night before at Hamilton.
Chapdelaine recognized the number — it was owner Robert Wetenhall’s; his son, Andrew, the team’s lead governor, on the extension.

They didn’t talk at great length that day, but Wetenhall made it clear a coaching change was coming, the Als having reached the end of the line with general manager Jim Popp. After conversing with Popp, who will remain GM, the dialogue continued Sunday with the Wetenhalls and Chapdelaine became Montreal’s interim head coach — and the first francophone to hold the position — for the remaining six games.

The Sherbrooke native is 55 and has never been a head coach at the pro level, although he held the title at Université Laval and Simon Fraser University, his alma mater. The Rouge et Or won their first Vanier Cup with Chapdelaine at the controls in 1999.
After the following season, he and Laval parted ways. In part, the school’s administrators didn’t want to lose Glen Constantin, the team’s defensive coordinator, to another school. But Chapdelaine also didn’t play well with others.

That has been somewhat of a recurring theme during his career — he lasted one year at Edmonton, in 2007, where he was the offensive coordinator and assistant head coach under Danny Maciocia — despite producing some formidable attacks that consisted of star individual performances.

“You know how his people skills are,” said Wally Buono, GM and head coach of the B.C. Lions, who worked with Chapdelaine in Vancouver and in Calgary. “This, I believe, is one of his demises. You can be an *beep*, yet still be personable.”

But for everyone who will tell you Chapdelaine might not be warm and fuzzy, there are others who swear by him.

“I think the world of Jacques,” said Geroy Simon, the Canadian Football League’s career leading receiver who works in the Lions’ front office as a scout and personnel assistant. “I’ve been around coaches I didn’t have belief in. Once I met him and was around him, I realized the guy’s smart and I’m going to take every ounce of knowledge he has.

“A lot of people misunderstood him out here, and he comes across as standoffish at times. If you don’t have the right approach, he’s going to let you know. He’s not afraid of confrontation. He’s not afraid to speak his mind or back down. That’s what you want from a coach. You need someone to calm the ship — gently or by knocking someone over the head. He’s able to do that. He’s not going to be warm and cuddly at first. But once you get to know him, he’s great.”

Chapdelaine acknowledges he might have been misunderstood in the past — and offers no apologies. It certainly proved to be no hindrance in Montreal, not initially when he was hired as the receivers coach and special assistant to offensive coordinator Anthony Calvillo last winter, or now, when he leapfrogged assistant head coaches Kavis Reed and Noel Thorpe, as well as the inexperienced Calvillo.

While his bilingualism served Chapdelaine well in securing this promotion from an organization that needs any positive exposure it can get, it might not matter if the Als and their struggling offence don’t show improvement over the final third of the schedule. Ironically, Chapdelaine, who has worked steadily in the CFL for four teams since 2001, has worked exclusively in English, saying his French is far from purrfect.

Chapdelaine also is well aware of exactly what he’s getting into. The Als were 6-12 last season and missed the playoffs. And, at 3-9 this year, a similar result appears inevitable. And, while Popp figures to spend most of the next two months at home in North Carolina, he probably will continue to decide who plays — potentially handcuffing Chapdelaine’s efforts.

“It’s not an easy situation. I’m not fooling myself. You usually take over a head-coaching job when you’re at the bottom of the ladder,” said Chapdelaine. “I have an opportunity. I’m at a point and place in my career where I may not get this opportunity again. It’s not the greatest possible situation, in terms of the platform I have. The reality is this: people don’t usually look for a coach unless the team has had some challenges. Very few people get to step in and replace a coach who retires after winning a Grey Cup.”

The Als are about to inherit arguably the smartest head coach they’ve had since Marc Trestman, who graduated with a law degree from the University of Miami. Chapdelaine, who has been married for 33 years — which might be his greatest accomplishment, considering the nomadic existence of coaches — has a degree in kinesiology. He required three courses for a minor in mathematics.
“Guys who operate in science are usually more black-and-white than grey. That fits my personality,” said Chapdelaine.

He’ll intellectually challenge his players. Chapdelaine understands the power of the mind, just as he realizes the power of understanding how someone’s ability to adjust will ultimately affect his performance and on-field success.

Chapdelaine wouldn’t say whether he’ll begin calling the plays for Calvillo until he has spoken to his OC — which likely means he will. Rakeem Cato, despite two recent practice meltdowns, will remain the Als’ starting quarterback, not that many options exist.

“You need to understand you’re going to care (about) and respect the players. That’s the first line of proper communication,” Chapdelaine explained. “Try to put them always in the best position to have positive results. If you can do that, you’re holding up your end of the deal. You need a vision. To give that vision some direction, you have to make some decisions. You have to have a strong level of conviction. You have to execute those decisions.

“I do believe we can have success by changing a little bit of the structure as to how we do things. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong — but it’s right for me. With the help, support and collaboration of the coaches, I believe it’ll be the best light I can put on our players and ourselves, as an organization, toward a path to success.”

hzurkowsky@postmedia.com
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:No secret Popp was looking to go to the NFL. Was Jim Popp auditioning for a position down south ? If so, he failed miserably.
Popp is still under contract until the end of the 2017 season Wetenhall clan permitting.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And, while Popp figures to spend most of the next two months at home in North Carolina, he probably will continue to decide who plays — potentially handcuffing Chapdelaine’s efforts.
That seems strange, staying in North Carolina during the football season ?
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
And, while Popp figures to spend most of the next two months at home in North Carolina, he probably will continue to decide who plays — potentially handcuffing Chapdelaine’s efforts.
That seems strange, staying in North Carolina during the football season ?
I found that very strange too. If its accurate, you have to wonder if either the Montreal brass wanted Popp to not interfere with the coaching or whether Popp himself wanted to be away.

Not sure what to think.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Als' practice was much different when the team returned from the bye week on Sunday and held its first practice under Chapdelaine. Lots of positive comments from everyone, although Duron Carter was a bit over the top in suggesting players are willing to die for Chapdelaine:
“From the one practice we’ve had, you can tell it’s much better. “We’re really good soldiers, but we need a general, someone who’s going to put us in the right way,” he continued. “We’re going to fight for him to the death. It seems like it’s going to be a real good turnaround.”
Chapdelaine will take over play-calling from Anthony Calvillo, who will watch from the spotter's booth and is taking the change in stride.
“It comes down to production. We weren’t productive, and that falls on my plate,” said Calvillo, always prepared to fall on the sword. “A record of 3-9 is unacceptable. Offensively, we’re in the bottom part of pretty much all the categories, which is unacceptable. The organization wants to try something different. I want this franchise to get back where it was before. It’s not fun, but I’m here to help this team win.”
According to Herb Zurkowsky, Chapdelaine will demand accountability, structure and respect. Players who don't fall in line will be fined or released.
“This is the type of practice we want to have. We want to be diligent, business-like,” Chapdelaine said. “If these days are structured and important, whatever happens in the game will seem easier to take.

“I told them I’d respect them and care about them. Caring doesn’t necessarily mean you like everybody, but caring means you have their best interest at heart,” added the 55-year-old native of Sherbrooke, the first francophone head coach in team history. “We’ll put them in a position to succeed. We expect them to recognize the position and make the most of it by being engaged, preparing and being diligent.”
Montreal Gazette article
Blitz
Team Captain

Chap is the right HC for Montreal for the rest of this season. He is not a warm and fuzzy guy and he can be tough and distant. He's more cerebral and task oriented and can rub the wrong way. But he has worked for Buono in Calgary and B.C., been around the game a long time in the CFL, and has two previous experiences at the college level as a HC. He's also been there for three Grey Cup championship teams and knows what is required for a team to be able to win.

Montreal needs structure and discipline right now. Things were slack and out of control at times with Popp.

Cavillo needed to go upstairs and learn some more and Chap taking over the play calling will help Cavillo, as well as take some pressure off him. Kavis Reed was not the right guy at this time, for sure. Thorpe was needed to continue the focus on the Als strengths.

Chap has it tough. Montreal has a very tough schedule, including two games against Calgary. But if he can get the offence playing better, Montreal can at least be more competitive.
Blitz
Team Captain

Smart move by the Chap.
Chapdelaine says Als need fans ‘right through the game’
Montreal Alouettes.com

CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL – When the Alouettes hit the field at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium on Sunday afternoon, it will be the club’s first game under new Head Coach Jacques Chapdelaine.

Coming off a Week 14 bye, Montreal hosts the Toronto Argonauts, hoping that the change behind the bench can ignite some sort of spark for the remainder of the season.

“I really think our players are excited about coming back to work after the bye week,” Chapdelaine said in an interview with MontrealAlouettes.com. “The players are really looking forward to perform on the second of October against Toronto and show the fans who they truly can be.”

Through 12 games of the 2016 campaign, the Alouettes sit at the bottom of the East Division with a 3-9 record. Despite what their record may say, Montreal looks like they have the pieces to make some noise in the East.
Duron Carter and Nik Lewis lead the team’s receiving corps with 832 and 743 yards respectively and BJ Cunningham is not far behind them. The return of wide out Kenny Stafford and running back Tyrell Sutton in Week 10 has also added another dynamic to the Als’ offence.

Linebacker Bear Woods is leading the CFL in defensive tackles with 89 and the Als are second in the league in total points allowed (295).

Now it’s up to those pieces to work together to try to get themselves back in the playoff mix and the coaching change could be exactly what they needed to energize them to do so.

As a former coach for teams visiting Percival Molson Memorial Stadium – Chapdelaine has been a coach for the Argos, Stamps, Lions, Esks and Riders – the Alouettes’ first-ever francophone head coach knows exactly how loud Montreal’s faithful can be and how important that is to the outcome of any contest.

“The biggest thing I can ask of our fans is that we will need them at the beginning of the game and we will need them right through the game.”

“The noise that they cause is such a challenge for offences that come into the stadium that try to attack our defence,” said Chapdelaine. “Certainly our defence itself can take advantage of that and we understand that as a team.”

Chasing a playoff spot in the East won’t be easy for Montreal, with two of their final games against the league’s best team in Calgary. But before they worry about the rest of the season, their focus is solely on Toronto.
And to beat Toronto, Chapdelaine recognizes his team will need the help of every single fan in the stands from the opening kickoff to the final whistle.

“The biggest thing I can ask of our fans is that we will need them at the beginning of the game and we will need them right through the game,” he said. “We want to play 60 minutes of football and we certainly hope that our fans are going to be there for all of the 60 minutes as well.”

-With files from MontrealAlouettes.com
Blitz
Team Captain

My guess in Montreal, with Chap now at the helm, is that Vernon Adams will be the starter before the season is over.

Chap has worked with a lot of quarterbacks from Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson, and Lulay.

He will see the lack of big upside with Cato vs. Vernon Adams. Adams isn't tall but he is the type of passer that Chap will prefer for this type of offence.
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:My guess in Montreal, with Chap now at the helm, is that Vernon Adams will be the starter before the season is over.

Chap has worked with a lot of quarterbacks from Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson, and Lulay.

He will see the lack of big upside with Cato vs. Vernon Adams. Adams isn't tall but he is the type of passer that Chap will prefer for this type of offence.
I would agree with this, but it will depend on how "open" to learning that Adams is. Montreal has Lewis and Cunningham for the short / intermediate crossing routes. Both are quality receivers who go for the ball. Lewis can line up as a "passing" tight end so between them, Adams can have some choices to drop the ball off if his first vertical read is not there. I think there is some upside with Adams over Cato, especially if he has leadership qualities beyond what Cato has shown to date.
Blitz
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Blitz wrote:My guess in Montreal, with Chap now at the helm, is that Vernon Adams will be the starter before the season is over.

I would agree with this, but it will depend on how "open" to learning that Adams is. Montreal has Lewis and Cunningham for the short / intermediate crossing routes. Both are quality receivers who go for the ball. Lewis can line up as a "passing" tight end so between them, Adams can have some choices to drop the ball off if his first vertical read is not there. I think there is some upside with Adams over Cato, especially if he has leadership qualities beyond what Cato has shown to date.
Its difficult to assess why some of Montreal's receivers have not supported Cato as they should have. Kato had an excellent college career and his numbers this season - 73.6% completion rate and 99.2 quarterback efficiency rating are very solid for an inexperienced quarterback.

But losing S.J. Green to injury a young offensive line, the immaturity of Carter, as well as losing Josh Bourke to Toronto haven't helped.

Let face it...Montreal was a mess with Popp as HC, Cavillo was not ready for the OC job and having Kavis Reed on staff as well as hungering for the HC job there in the future would only add to the mess. Its not been the best environment for Cato.

For whatever reason, whether its the environment in Montreal or a lack of confidence in Cato's leadership abilities from some players, its been difficult for him. I don't know whether Lewis just preferred a vet like Glenn throwing a lot of footballs to him, or whether Carter is just immature, or whether Stafford is a jerk but they haven't supported Cato like they should have.

When Vernon Adams transferred to Oregon, he was able to quickly get his teammates to support him. Not an easy thing to do.

Adams is a very good long ball thrower while Cato is more conservative and prefers to throw underneath. Adams is not tall but he is good at making plays.