Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Just read online that Buono said Telford could resign to pursue an opportunity down south. Stay tuned.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This is another option. Buono as HC, Tedford as OC. Somehow I don't get the impression that Tedford is all that comfortable with the title of Head Coach. He seems pretty shy around the mic. for certain and he is a strategist. Wally isn't and x's and o's guy but Tedford is and he might like going to a role that is more about that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Speculation is premature until Wally has a chance to sit down with Braley and Skulsky at Grey Cup to review the past season and plan ahead for next year. A lot will depend on when Braley plans to sell the team, since Skulsky has said he would step down during the sale process and Braley will want an experienced management team under contract during the sale but not beyond the sale date. Wally is trying hard not to prejudge those discussions but he is not good at giving diplomatic non-answers. We should know more next week.

For what it's worth, Ed Willes says the indication from the club is that Tedford will be back for the final year of his contract, but with a revised staff. I hope he's right.

Willes' Musings: Should Tedford stay or should he go?
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:That may be so. But this is the CFL and will Braley be willing to buy him out for not coaching. Also it was Wally that told 1040 that Telford does not have an out clause, perhaps putting an end to rumours that he may leave. I did not hear the interview so no idea what was said. But if Telford is offered a job for a lot of money, than perhaps he will talk to Wally and they will work something out. I don't know. It all depends if Telford wants to leave. Should know sometime after Grey Cup. Usually, CFL wants no news leaked that could upstage Grey Cup.

I do remember Monroe Eley and Harris, but the later not so much. If they had a quarterback maybe they would have been better. Don Moorhead was terrible.
Here is Ed Willes binoculars on it....I highly doubt that Wally would want to be the HC next year because of his 'loyalty' to Braley...but because he wants to and also because he thinks he is a better HC than the ones who lead the West and East this season.
Willes' Musings: Should Tedford stay or should he go?

B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford has been contacted about returning to the NCAA

By Ed Willes, The Province November 23, 2015 8:05 PM

B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford spent 20 years in the NCAA and might want to return.

Monday’s news that Jeff Tedford has been contacted about returning to the NCAA is more a commentary on Tedford’s stature within the college game than his status with the B.C. Lions.

It’s not a certainty that Tedford will return to the Lions next season but the indication from the organization is he’ll be back for 2016. There are, of course, a number of variables with the Leos head coach, and if the right offer came along, who knows?

But he spent over 20 years in the grind of big-time college football, he’s 54 and he has two stents in his heart. This season didn’t go according to plan for either Tedford or the Lions but he’s a proud man and it doesn’t figure he’ll walk away under these circumstances.

Tedford is scheduled to meet with Lions owner David Braley, team president Dennis Skulsky and Wally Buono this week in Winnipeg and any announcement would likely come shortly after the Grey Cup game. The more likely scenario is Tedford’s staff will be revised for next season.

If the coach does want out, don’t be surprised if Buono takes over as head coach for one year. It wouldn’t be his first choice but Buono has a deep sense of loyalty to Braley.

Discuss among yourselves if this would be a good thing.

— Whatever happens with Tedford, the Lions should have a better understanding where the bar is set in the CFL after the weekend’s two division finals.

In the West, the Chris Jones-coached Edmonton Eskimos thumped the Calgary Stampeders and John Hufnagel, and back East, it was Rick Campbell and his Ottawa RedBlacks edging Kent Austin’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Those are the four best head coaches in the CFL who also lead the four best organizations in the league. For the Lions to compete with those four teams, first they must be competitive with those four coaches and those four organizations.

Suffice to say they were a long way from that standard this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Hufnagel's last day as Head Coach....a class act as always. As the article says..Hufnagel treated his players like grown men and respected them.

Johnson: Hufnagel bids farewell to coaching a day after Stamps' exit

George Johnson, Calgary Herald

Calgary Stampeders GM John Hufnagel leaves the clubhouse at McMahon Stadium on Monday after passing the head coaching torch to Dave Dickenson.

Calgary Stampeders GM John Hufnagel leaves the clubhouse at McMahon Stadium on Monday after passing the head coaching torch to Dave Dickenson. Jeff McIntosh / THE CANADIAN PRESS

If in any way John Hufnagel felt diminished or coerced, cast aside or suddenly excluded, he was doing a masterful job of hiding the pent-up angst.

On his way to the microphone in front of the inevitable camera-friendly Calgary Stampeders backdrop Monday, the now ex-coach paused to unleash an exaggerated, high-pitched “SOB!”, before dabbing theatrically at bone-dry tear ducts.

Then, after ‘composing’ himself, broke into this huge game-show-host grin.

“Just messing with you guys.”

True, less than 24 hours had passed since the Hufnagel coaching era in Calgary had been officially extinguished, but the two-time Grey Cup-winning helmsman certainly didn’t as yet appear to be experiencing any overt withdrawal symptoms.

“I had a blast for eight years. Especially the last four … the professionalism the players brought to work week in and week out was such a big part of them winning a lot of games. Wherever you were stacked on the roster because whenever you got an opportunity, you have to make it work for yourself.

“Those guys have done it, time and time again.

“I had my share of disappointments and I had my share of highlights. I should say ‘our’ share.

“It was a nice, fun eight years.”

With Hufnagel shifting solely to the managerial side of the operation, successor Dave Dickenson had delivered his first head-coaching homily to the flock earlier in the morning, in the wake of Sunday’s debilitating 45-31 West Final loss.

Hufnagel, naturally, has spun hundreds of such Knute Rockne-esque I-Had-A-Dream/One-Small-Step-For-Man-One-Large-Step-For-Mankind speeches during his time. Both in good times and bad.

When asked how his protégé had fared, he merely shrugged.

“I wasn’t in the room.”

By design? Allowing the new guy to develop his own space, perhaps? Or too overcome with emotional nostalgia to be able to watch?

“We separated the meetings. The general manager had to say some things. Then the head coach was going to say some things to get them ready for the off-season.

“The room was too crowded, that was the reason I left.

“At some point in time, he’ll take over my office.”

The smallest of smiles.

“But give me a chance to clean it out first.”

While paying tribute to the departing sideline superintendent, quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell spoke with excitement and anticipation about the dawn of a new day.

“I’ve been thinking about it. Guys been talking about it. We were all very blessed to play for Huff. The guy is the true meaning of ‘head coach.’ He did amazing things for us. He gave a lot of us chances that maybe we wouldn’t have got anywhere else. I have to thank him for everything he’s done for me, giving me a shot.

“But we just know Dave is going to step into that role with a very fluid transition and it’s gonna be a fun time, man. I got to play for one of the best head coaches ever in the CFL and now I get to play for one of the future best head coaches.

“With coaching change obviously comes changes throughout the team. We all know that. It’s all going to be for the better. We know it’s going to be a different style.

“I don’t think we need re-vitalizing or re-energizing. We’ve been … at the top. The transition is happening for a reason. It’s not because Huff doesn’t feel capable anymore — the guy’s one of the best to ever do it. It’s because he knew it was Dave’s time and deserves the chance.

“A lot of people wanted (Dickenson). For a reason. And we all know stepping into that spotlight, he’s going to be that much better.”

Oddly, Dickenson was still on site but unavailable to comment due to some mystifying reasoning about if he were to address his new post it would somehow steal attention away from the Grey Cup build-up. Yeah. Right. As if.

But while the new man’s take will have to wait for another day, others weren’t shy about offering opinions.

“I think Dave will be a great head coach,” chimed in SAM linebacker Keon Raymond. “He’ll put a spin on a couple of things to make it his own. He’s learned under Huff. The biggest thing with those guys is professionalism. And respect.

“Huff treats his players like grown men. Respects them. If Dave has just an ounce of that, he’ll be all right.”

Hufnagel doesn’t envision the working relationship changing despite Dickenson, like himself, being a strong personality and a take-it-on kind of guy.

“Dave,” said Mitchell, “understands that he isn’t Huff. He doesn’t want to be Huff. Yeah, he’d love to have the record and the Grey Cups Huff has as a head coach but he’s going to be Dave Dickenson.

“It’ll be different because Dave’s obviously a younger guy. He’s going to want to throw his own kind of mix into it. He’s going to run the team they way he wants to run it.”

Should that include the first-time head coach continuing to direct the offence, a pretty big chore for someone learning on the job.

“Absolutely,” replied Mitchell. “I wouldn’t want anyone else to call plays.”

For John Hufnagel, life is different today than it was, say, Sunday. Less complicated.

“I’m still gonna be here on game day,” he protested. “The adrenalin flow, I’ll still have on game day. And hopefully I can help the team prepare as best I can in the general manager’s chair. I’m not talking about coaching. I’m just talking about making sure that everything the coaching staff needs, I can do my best to provide

“Dave’s a very smart man. He just needs some good luck, some good fortune. Hopefully I can help him.”

Then, as always over these past eight years when wrapping up a (usually-brief) media availability, Hufnagel closed with: “Good stuff?”

This time, though, as he began to take his leave, he paused, dabbing again at bone-dry tear ducts while unleashing another overly-theatrical “Sob!”

“Thanks …,” he stammered, “for everything, guys.”

And then, breaking into that same game-show-host grin, was gone.

gjohnson@calgaryherald.com

Twitter.com/GeorgejohnsonCH
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

More uncertainty ... Can't even hazard a guess at this point.
It’s not a certainty that Tedford will return to the Lions next season but the indication from the organization is he’ll be back for 2016. There are, of course, a number of variables with the Leos head coach, and if the right offer came along, who knows?
Will Tedford be back? He says he wants to be back.
Tedford is scheduled to meet with Lions owner David Braley, team president Dennis Skulsky and Wally Buono this week in Winnipeg and any announcement would likely come shortly after the Grey Cup game. The more likely scenario is Tedford’s staff will be revised for next season.

If the coach does want out, don’t be surprised if Buono takes over as head coach for one year. It wouldn’t be his first choice but Buono has a deep sense of loyalty to Braley.
Does Wally want him back? He did not give Tedford a glowing endorsement at season end.
— Whatever happens with Tedford, the Lions should have a better understanding where the bar is set in the CFL after the weekend’s two division finals.

In the West, the Chris Jones-coached Edmonton Eskimos thumped the Calgary Stampeders and John Hufnagel, and back East, it was Rick Campbell and his Ottawa RedBlacks edging Kent Austin’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Those are the four best head coaches in the CFL who also lead the four best organizations in the league. For the Lions to compete with those four teams, first they must be competitive with those four coaches and those four organizations.

Suffice to say they were a long way from that standard this season.
Would Wally do well as Head Coach if he stepped back into that role? A poll of fans might show Wally not doing so well in a return to Head Coach. Times change. A new class of sharp Head Coaches has taken over in the CFL. Jones. Campbell. Austin ain't no slouch. Milanovich ain't no slouch. Hufnagel-Dickenson should do just fine in Calgary. Tough to compete with those guys.

We do not exactly have a sense of stability in our franchise, nor a sense of competitiveness at the highest level. It is a somewhat chaotic and seemingly confused organization.

And it has happened on the watch of Wally Buono, with assistance from Dennis Skulsky, and with the absentee style of owner David Braley.

It is the CFL though, and we have seen quick turnarounds. Is that likely here? Based on what we have seen, I would have to say not likely. The turnarounds in Edmonton, Ottawa, and Hamilton came with new leaders: Jones, Campbell and Austin. Calgary's fortunes turned around when Hufnagel came on board.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote: I am new here, This is my first post. Been a fan since 1972; hence the name, an ode to Johnny Musso, the first running back I remember playing for the Lions.
Musso was a stud. Too bad a chronic toe injury ended his career.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My fear is that if Buono returns to the sidelines, we'll be saddled with him for a few more years. When he finally hands the reign over to one of his loyalists, he'll want to return to the GM to "make sure the club is in good hands" before finally riding into the sunset. Meanwhile he will continue meddling into the coaching much like what he's been doing the past few years.
The_Pauser
Legend

I say:

Retain Tedford for another year. Fire Cortez, Washington, and McMann. Jones can go too, and everyone else can stay.
Roar you Lions roar!
Dusty
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I say:

Retain Tedford for another year. Fire Cortez, Washington, and McMann. Jones can go too, and everyone else can stay.
I'm with you up to a point... I think that Cortez, McMann and Jones can go now. Since Teford has a very good offensive mind, he could bring in a bright young OC and provide leadership to him . If a new OC is from south of the border and new to CFL, Tedford would, after having the 2015 season experience under his belt, be able to help him get his feet wet in the CFL. If the new OC is an existing CFL coach, so much the better. In either case, Tedford could take more direction over the offensive direction and play calling.

I do not think that Washington has earned another year as DC. However, I do not think that Tedford can assume more of the DC role the same way he can on the OC side. I am not sure that our other coaches are ready to ready to take on a DC role yet, but maybe one is ready. I do not want to have another year with a prevent defence from the opening whistle on every 2nd and 6, so if that is what Washington is going to serve up, then I say good-bye to him as well.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

McMann won't have to be fired. LU said last week he is retiring. He actually wanted to at the end of the 2014 season and was coaxed into returning one more season. That was one big mistake.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:McMann won't have to be fired. LU said last week he is retiring. He actually wanted to at the end of the 2014 season and was coaxed into returning one more season. That was one big mistake.
That's a good start. I bet Buono talked him into returning for 2015
maxlion
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:McMann won't have to be fired. LU said last week he is retiring. He actually wanted to at the end of the 2014 season and was coaxed into returning one more season. That was one big mistake.
It was possibly the difference between finishing 8-10 and finishing 7-11, which could have meant the difference between missing and making the playoffs. In the end, it didn't make any difference at all.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

McMann's return meant that Kelly Bates was let go. Kelly did a great job as the RB coach, could have become our OLine Coach and did a great job conducting our drafts (for the first time in a long while). HUGE error to bring back McMann and let go of Kelly IMO.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
maxlion
Legend

Not sure Bates would have stayed on to be OL coach. Being HC at SFU was a great opportunity and likely more attractive than anything BC was in a position to offer.

Edit: I see now that Bates was let go before the SFU position became available. Oh well, good for him that he landed in a good spot.