Braley sells the Argos to Bell and Kilmer

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:I'm absolutely gobsmacked that it never crossed anyone's mind, when they were drawing up the schedules, that there might be some sort of conflict. Yes it's been a generation since the Jays made the playoffs, but wouldn't even the worst teams take such a thing into account when planning schedules in multi-purpose facilities??
Are you putting the onus on the Jays or the Argos to have foreseen this?
Both, really. But in most markets you expect teams which share a facility to at least talk to each other once in a while. At Rogers, unfortunately, the relationship is toxic. I bet the Leafs and Raptors take the other's needs into consideration - at least for the rare occasions when one of them actually has playoff games :rotf:
"Share" is the operative word there. Argos don't really "share" the place with the Jays; they rent it from them (effectively), on days and at times that the Jays (Rogers) deem convenient to themselves, after Rogers have decided for themselves that their own scheduling needs have been fully met and the leftover days have been identified. Leafs and Raptors OTOH truly do share ACC what with having common ownership, and such sharing considerations do enter the picture at least when it comes to regular season scheduling (although I would think the Leafs would get first dibs for the most part but not to the extent that it would pose any detriment to the Raptors like we're seeing with the Argos).

I wonder how the Whitecaps playoff picture is shaping up and whether it would have any impact on the Lions. I wouldn't expect us to have to reschedule games but it might affect other things like walkthrough.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

The Argos just completed a 3 game season-series sweep of OTT winning their moved "home" game 38-35. (Moving the game turned out to unnecessary due to the Jays clinching their division).

Looking ahead to the MLB post-season schedule, there are a couple more dates where they may be displaced, depending on if the Jays advance past the ALDS, and who their ALCS opponent is.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:The Argos just completed a 3 game season-series sweep of OTT winning their moved "home" game 38-35. (Moving the game turned out to unnecessary due to the Jays clinching their division).

Looking ahead to the MLB post-season schedule, there are a couple more dates where they may be displaced, depending on if the Jays advance past the ALDS, and who their ALCS opponent is.
Good for Milanovich, Barker and crew. Hopefully things settle down as time moves on.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC 1988 wrote:The Argos just completed a 3 game season-series sweep of OTT winning their moved "home" game 38-35. (Moving the game turned out to unnecessary due to the Jays clinching their division).

While the game wasn't a sellout, there may have been enough paying customers (Ottawa fans) that the Argos may have made more $ than a home game at Rodgers Centre.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

While it turned out they didn't need to move they unfortunately had no choice. That they didn't have to play the WC game wasn't made official until last Thursday I believe.

It's already been announced that the Argos home game versus Calgary on October 17th will be played at Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton. Game 2 of the ALCS goes that day. Whether that game is played in Toronto or not won't be known until we know who advances from the ALDS. It would be in TO if the Jays and Astros advance or KC if they advance regardless of what else happens. Similarly for the Argos game against Montreal on October 23rd there will be an ALCS Game 6 set for that day at the home of the higher seed. BC is in Toronto on October 30th. Game 3 of the World Series is scheduled for that day at the home of the NL Champ. On paper there should be no conflict for that unless weather plays havoc and pushes schedules farther out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

The Oct 17th displacement is apparently not official yet, since TM is still selling tickets for the game at Rogers Centre.
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-argo ... 86AD813DAC
Playing it at Tim Horton's would be a weird vibe--HAM fans cheering for CGY, but maybe there will be a fair contingent of die-hard Argos fans who will make the trek there. Saturday night would help since they won't be fighting rush hour traffic.

Given that the Argos are now 2-0 in displaced home games ("home" game 1 at Fort McMurray caused by the PanAm games), maybe they should just be nomads until BMO is ready next year.

EDIT: I found the TSN article that it will be played at HAM, still waiting on an official announcement.
http://www.tsn.ca/argos-to-host-stamped ... n-1.372502
TM must not care about inconveniencing the few fans who buy for Rogers Centre between now and then. (It's scary looking at the oceans of prime seats available).
Rocko604
Rookie

So hoping Texas sweeps the Jays. Sick and freaking tired of the Canadian media waxing on about the Jays, 1993, and how they're the best team in baseball.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rocko604 wrote:So hoping Texas sweeps the Jays. Sick and freaking tired of the Canadian media waxing on about the Jays, 1993, and how they're the best team in baseball.
Toronto media. They seem to have become Jays cheerleaders, including TSN staff whose network doesn't even carry the games. I'm a Cardinals fan. I'm happy with the way the playoffs have started.
BC 1988
Legend

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ar ... -playoffs/
Judging from that story, looks like the Argos are keeping their options open to use Rogers Centre, in case Jays are eliminated quickly (such as losing on Sunday or Monday).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rocko604 wrote:So hoping Texas sweeps the Jays. Sick and freaking tired of the Canadian media waxing on about the Jays, 1993, and how they're the best team in baseball.
X2
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Toronto media. They seem to have become Jays cheerleaders, including TSN staff whose network doesn't even carry the games. I'm a Cardinals fan. I'm happy with the way the playoffs have started.
It was funny how today's 5 hour, 14 inning marathon wiped out most of TSN 1040's regular programming. I'm surprised they didn't just put it on 1410 like they usually do with MLB games.

Apart from Sekeres, (who does a comical amount of Jays flag-waving) most of the other on-air personnel seem pretty apologetic about the Jays (that their rightsholder agreement requires them to deliver Sportsnet content).
David
Team Captain

Jays get way more media attention out here than they actually deserve. Other than Ontario ex-pats and the 'sheep mentality' - those people who wear the hats and jerseys 'cause it's cool/trendy, I really don't know a lot of hardcore Jays fans. Certainly not enough to justify PBP on TSN1040 in the middle of the day, and being pumped morning, noon, and night as a "news item" on Rogers owned NEWS1130 (not just the sports news at :15 and :45).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One interesting stat that I heard from the relentless Blue Jays coverage: In a best of 5 series when a team jumps out with a 2-0 lead, they then have a 93% chance of advancing. So the BJs are now in big trouble and will likely have a quick playoff exit.
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
X2
X3
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:One interesting stat that I heard from the relentless Blue Jays coverage: In a best of 5 series when a team jumps out with a 2-0 lead, they then have a 93% chance of advancing. So the BJs are now in big trouble and will likely have a quick playoff exit.
Although to give them hope the Giants started out 0-2 at home against the Reds in 2012 then went on to sweep the Reds in Cincy to advance to the NLCS. In the NLCS they were down 3-1 to the Cards and came back to win that series too before sweeping the Tigers in the World Series.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.