Lulay Gone Up To Six Weeks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Early reports indicate Lulay's injury last night could keep him sidelined for up to 6 weeks. It still needs to be confirmed with an MRI but it appears he suffered a 2nd degree tear of his MCL.

So at least for a few more weeks, the offence will be guided by Beck. Let the facelift continue....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And sadly the offence initially looked better the first few series with Beck thanks to his quick throws with better velocity especially to the inside receivers. However, he regressed as the game continued, especially in the 4th quarter.

I will be extremely disappointed if Tedford insists on sticking with his No. 1 QB over the course of the next month, regardless of how much he might be struggling, the same way he did with Travis. As important as it is to stay in the playoff hunt, the Lions need to know if they have a future No. 1 QB in Jennings. That doesn't happen unless he gets some quality snaps, not just short yardage situations.
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:And sadly the offence initially looked better the first few series with Beck thanks to his quick throws with better velocity especially to the inside receivers. However, he regressed as the game continued, especially in the 4th quarter.

I will be extremely disappointed if Tedford insists on sticking with his No. 1 QB over the course of the next month, regardless of how much he might be struggling, the same way he did with Travis. As important as it is to stay in the playoff hunt, the Lions need to know if they have a future No. 1 QB in Jennings. That doesn't happen unless he gets some quality snaps, not just short yardage situations.
Totally agree Sammy!

Its time to start thinking about moving on to the future for the B.C. Lions quarterback position. We may not like it but we gotta start dealing with reality.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
BC 1988
Legend

I think Beck was very mediocre, but Marsh did a much better job of sucking.

To be fair, Beck has seen very little game action, so he was going in cold. I don't see any improvement over how so-so he was in his appearances last season.

Even if Travis is only out for 6 weeks, the knee injury (which he said is the first of his career) is only going to make him slower and more vulnerable. This will age him--the writing is on the wall for his playing career.

It is time to really look for younger talent at QB.
InUrFace
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:And sadly the offence initially looked better the first few series with Beck thanks to his quick throws with better velocity especially to the inside receivers. However, he regressed as the game continued, especially in the 4th quarter.

Ive been saying this at the beginning of the season ....The play book like it was opening up more with Beck in control and Lulay the O looked boring. Jennings needs his reps as well to now if he is the future or not. Mont and Edm is doing it why cant we see what our rookies are able to do.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the Play Jennings movement is premature. Based on his 3rd down gamble last night, I suspect he needs a lot more seasoning before auditioning for prime time. He will however move up to the #2 spot on the QB depth chart which will give him more practice time with the first team as well as the BU's. As well, he will get some playing time as I am pretty sure that Beck will struggle in games. Start the process slowly. Bring him in during games that are out of reach. Give him some time under center when the opposition is playing a prevent defense. Move him too quickly and you might mess him up. The reason that for years we had such good up and comers was that we had time to develop them slowly. The loss of Reilly, the expansion draft, really messed that up that cycle. This season isn't totally lost but it stands to reason that we aren't long for the playoffs if we do manage to get there so let's not throw some young guy to the wolves just because it seems expedient to do so. I'm working on the premise that this season is basically a write off so the Lions should do it right. As well, how much does one honestly expect to learn about whether this kid has the right stuff when even the veteran QB's on this team seem challenged in making the O work.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't forget Beck missed all of training camp due to a blood disorder. He will now get all the 1st team rep so hopefully he gets better.
Rodu
Champion

I don't know how better Beck is going to get, he's already in his mid 30's. Time to start bringing in random guys for 3rd string looks
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Travis just never settled down this year, it seems to me, aside from the 300+ game. Wide-eyed. Too intense. Not seeing the field as in the magic year of 2011. Playing desperate football. No doubt he was playing with a sense of the grim reaper over his shoulder --> career threatening injuries. And a new staff and offence. Add to that, contract adjustment. That is not a settling development.

Beck has shown his pedigree at times. Good zip on the ball. Sees the field at times. But he also looks very mediocre at times. (John Liu certainly put the jinx on him. That is the worst of a sports reporter's work - bring up the jinx.)

Lulay playing at all this year was a surprising development. That he could not get comfortable was somewhat surprising. But if he was able to always play at his 2011 level, IMO, he would belong in that other league, the big pond.

I agree that we need to see what Jennings has. For one thing, he is awful at short yardage. Uncertain. Slow out of the blocks. Does not find a gap. Sometimes steps back before trying to plunge. Seemingly no instincts for the play.

Same with his holds on FGs.

QB play? Dunno ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
peeby
Starter

I disagree with the poster who doesn't want to see Jennings get any work. To me, he is inexperienced, but I seem to recall he was more mobile than the other QB's. If he can leave a collapsing pocket and get outside, maybe some good things could happen. My QB breakdown:

Travis Lulay: A two and out QB even when uninjured. Bad arm and maybe too much experience, in that he doesn't take enough risks.
John Beck: Don't mind him, but a real gunslinger with a sidearm throwing style which doesn't always suit a large field. 32 years old.
Jon Jennings: Looked mobile, looked willing in the exhibition game. Let's see him play. Guys do go from American colleges to the pros and do play right away. It happens. Would give him a look myself (when Beck falters or game looks lost).
Greg McGhee: I think he comes onto the roster as the 3rd string. He is bigger than the other guys. Would expect he would do the 3rd and short routine.

Hmm.. Wonder how Travis would look in a Blue and Gold uniform?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:

Totally agree Sammy!

Its time to start thinking about moving on to the future for the B.C. Lions quarterback position. We may not like it but we gotta start dealing with reality.

Add me to that list guys...Beck is not the answer and after a game like last night, or this entire season, the Lions should be thinking about the future and not trying to scrape by with a playoff bid.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
VictoriaFan
Starter

last week I mentioned to my wife, what we need is Travis to get an injury, like an ankle or tweak a knee so the backups could get some reps. Ooops, as much as I liked Lulay he has not produced this season. I think we need to see what the young guns have in the tank.
dupsdell1
Champion

VictoriaFan wrote:last week I mentioned to my wife, what we need is Travis to get an injury, like an ankle or tweak a knee so the backups could get some reps. Ooops, as much as I liked Lulay he has not produced this season. I think we need to see what the young guns have in the tank.

Agree I hope Lulay will be ok , but yes it took an injury to start discovering what we have in QBs know
David
Team Captain

Let's not rush Travis back before he's ready. His calling card is his mobility, now you're going to try and throw him out there with a bad wheel and make him even more of a 'pocket passer?' That's not going to work.

I have full confidence in John Beck. Great velocity, tight spiral, poised, calm in the huddle, knows this offense.....and can hit the long ball (as an added bonus, one of the best interviews on the team). The guy had hepatitis, missed all of training camp, came in cold off the bench with minimal first team reps - and delivered a very respectable performance against one of the best defenses in the CFL. I think he will rise to the occasion next week with a full week of first team reps and better chemistry with Hawkins and Burnham.

Of course, if the offense is sputtering and/or the team needs a momentum shift, I'd put Jennings in for a series or two. But I don't think he's ready for a start. Sure he looked good in camp, but there's a night & day difference between a training camp / practice defense, and for that matter, an exhibition game defense and a rookie facing a first team defense mid-way through the regular season without having tossed a 'live bullet' all season!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:Let's not rush Travis back before he's ready. His calling card is his mobility, now you're going to try and throw him out there with a bad wheel and make him even more of a 'pocket passer?' That's not going to work.
DH :cool:
Agreed. That's what makes Tedford's quote on Friday wildly optimistic. Reminds me of Buck Pierce hobbling around:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e26235585/
“He’s walking with a limp, but it doesn’t look like it’s anything major,” coach Jeff Tedford said. “We have to see what the MRI says and what the prognosis for his return would be.”
Lulay was injured midway through the first quarter as Alouettes’ linebacker Kyries Hebert took him down from behind after he had scrambled out of the pocket. It was initially suspected that Lulay had suffered a torn medial collateral ligament. Tedford said it’s not yet clear whether Lulay, the 2011 CFL’s most outstanding player, will miss any playing time. B.C.’s next game is at home against the Ottawa Redblacks on Sept. 13, giving Lulay more than a week to rest and recover.
“If the game was three days from now, it would be absolutely not [playing],” Tedford said. “But we have a little bit of time before the next game. So we’ll how [the knee] responds to treatment. But the No. 1 thing is: Take a look at the MRI and see what the extent of the injury is.”

This is more down-to-earth:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/leng ... z3ktJQr0H6

MONTREAL — It could be a four-week absence. Or, it could be closer to six.
It could be a second-degree tear. Or, it could be less or more severe.
The rough time frame for quarterback Travis Lulay’s return from an MCL (left knee) injury must await the results of an MRI taken after the B.C. Lions arrived home Friday from Thursday’s game in Montreal.
Lions spokesman Jamie Cartmell indicated an announcement on the severity of the injury won’t be made until next week. The Lions return to practice Tuesday.
It’s the first knee injury in Lulay’s football career, which has been marred by repeated injuries to his right throwing shoulder.