Lions vs. The Als Thursday, Sept. 3rd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:The vultures joined by the ever delusional pauser. There are no posts I read calling for Cortez to fired but thanks for making that up. If you read the newspapers even Wally is completed frustrated.

Wally's influence on the team. You truly are deluded. He is the GM. He definitely has an influence on the team as to who gets drafted, cut, fined for dead ball fouls, who the coaches hired are. That pauser is the GM's role.

As to Arceneaux the **** - I don't care how much this **** does for charity and kids - it's what he is not doing on the field that leads to wins or losses. The fact that the Lions have let him continue running his mouth with what Lulay says his "different personalities" - I've got more news for you. These clowns never work out in the end. Their mouths eventually get them off their teams.

NOTE - Edited by Mod staff. Somewhat over the line in calling the Lion player disrespectful names, regardless of was said by a Montreal radio announcer. Thank you. Mod Staff.
Delusional? Not at all. Realistic and not jumping up and down trying to scapegoat a small handful of people for team failures? Definitely.

You're welcome (for not making anything up). Before you accuse me of making things up you might want to actually read this thread? At the top of page 2 (in this very thread) someone suggests we should get a new OC. By someone who quoted you no less. I don't know if you have a problem with reading comprehension or just plain missed it, but you really should be careful when you accuse someone of something.

Everyone's frustrated, and they should be. The team has not performed well, but you can't say "Wally is the reason this team is bad" or "Arceneaux is the reason this team is losing games" because it's plain not true. You're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be though.

Thank you for outlining the GM's role. I'm glad you've exhibited an understanding for this. Now tell me, where in this does it state Wally is in charge of the schemes that each coach employs? In a sense, I guess it's something that comes up in the interview. But some people act like Wally is in these coaches meetings and is forcing the coaches to coach a certain way. If you want to talk delusional look no further than that.

What isn't Arceneaux doing on the field? Hmm let's look at what he is doing:

Team leader in receiving yards (458) by over 100 yards (despite having 6 fewer receptions than the guy in 2nd).
174 more receiving yards than the 2nd ranked receiver on the Lions.
3rd highest YPC in the league among receivers with 10 or more receptions.
I can't find how many times he has been targeted, but I know from watching the games that he doesn't get targeted very often (there was a game that he only had 2 targets in total). Target him more and his stats would be top 3 in the league.

But hey, he said some bad comments that make people mad. Waaah waaah let's be immature and make fun of his name.

:bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Jim Popp is trying to confuse the Lions by all these moves. Will he or will he not play ? Is he available come game time ?
Blitz
Team Captain

The key story lines of this game are 'Manny the Mouth' for his ill advised remarks following our Leos loss to the Als, 'Buono the Bonehead ' for releasing not one but two of this years top return guys in Logan and Brown, 'Cautious Cortez', who after a lot of soul searching decided that his offensive vertical passing game and offensive system are great and what we needed was just faster recieviers to make it work, and 'Wily Washington', who after a half season of having opposition offences run inside on us like taking candy from a baby, has perhaps figured out that we just might just need a bigger defensive tackle than Roh, who at 260 pounds and a CFL rookie, has never played tackle before.

With this kind of soul searching I feel our Leos are really now on the Soul Train.

Hopefully these changes, along with a change in personnel at free safety will translate into a victory. The Als want to take Arsenault's head off, Logan wants to run one back all the way after having a great game against us the last game we played, and we can expect the Als to blitz like hell now that Andrew 'I Hate Pass Blocking' Harris, will be used as a receiver out of the backfield on passing downs. We definitely used Harris too often as a pass blocker last game but I anticipate that he will get a lot of attention coming out of the backfield.

Hopefully the brilliant recipe of 'unpredictable Cortez' :wink: ..run on first down and pass on second down.... has been changed to perhaps play action on first down on occasion to keep the Als guessing.

This is a game that our Leos have the talent to win but to win but we'll need to attack the Montreal blitz wisely, get the ball out quickly into space, and then come back to the running attack once we've set them up.

On defense the Als will run again until we prove we can stop them. Of course every CFL team so far has had an easy time running against our CFL worst run defense. Will two personell changes make a difference to our defense. Likely not a huge difference but having some beef inside to attempt to stop the inside run could pay dividends. But we need to get better pressure on Marsh or we'll also continue to be the worst pass defense in the CFL.

Weve had a bye week and that should have provided the time to re-examine things. Will it be changes in personell only or schematic change as well? Well, on offence we will still be in the spread offence, which we have been all season but now, with Burnham, we truly have a slot receiver playing slot back.

Looking forward to seeing how our revamped receiving crew does, with the additional speed but we have to get them the football for that additional speed to have results.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
peeby
Starter

To me, the result of this game won't really say all that much. If the Lions lose, it'll likely be because they are not only travelling, but that's a lot of changes to make to a football team in a short time. If they win, they could be beating a team with a goofy QB. I like Tanner Marsh, but he might throw more interceptions than Travis Lulay, which seems like quite a few. Wasn't he kind of a daredevil a few years back?

Re: the poster who put the bad mouth on Travis: You're right. Gee, I sure would have liked to see Jennings play.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The last time Tanner Marsh started against the Lions the Als put up 50+ points by the 3rd quarter before taking their collective foot off the pedal...might have been 70 had they kept the heat on the Lions. As I started this post, let me repeat, the Lions had better be ready to play tomorrow.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"Wally knows best" got messed up cutting Logan and Brown as two other teams finally called "B---Sheet" on Wally's cuts of these two dudes. Normally both would have been passed over due to age/contract size and need but BROWN and LOGAN were clearly seen differently by the Stamps and the Als.

Ullrich: Cutting Logan, Brown showing little return for Lions

Stefan Logan looking forward to making a statement for Buono, who cut him loose in the off-season

BY LOWELL ULLRICH, THE PROVINCE SEPTEMBER 2, 2015 6:56 PM
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ullri ... story.html
In the last two games alone, he’s had 155 return yards wiped out due to penalties and reckons his total in that category is closer to 500 on the season.

“What I looked at was (Logan) kicking our ass 41-5 in a game out there last year,” Popp said. “He still has it.”
What bothers me about the call backs on the great kick returns of Banks, Brown and Logan is three things:
1. The penalties disrespect their guy's ability to make plays on his own when the kick cover team isn't there.
2. It's preventable - not many of the accidental variety.
3. It's always a guy who is out of position and pushes from the back.

The only time I'm more comfortable with a team taking a penalty is if the player knows his QB is about to get killed but mostly the kick returner is different as he is focused on the tacklers in front of him.

Teams should instill - don't disrespect our guy by taking a dumb penalty. BUT it's often driven by the film review sessions where you don't want to be seen on film and ripped for not being in a play. Coaches need to coach for the big picture - let our guy do his job - if you're beat don't take a penalty. Coaches need to make that a worse sin than missing a block.

---

The other part of the story is Tanner Marsh - who knows as he's not had as many reps but one thing. MTL seem as capable of playing well for back ups as they are for starters. Their offense did a great job with Crompton last year but methinks it was the presence of Garcia there that dominated the play calls. AC is not as strong an ego in the coaching ranks yet and now will influence play calls. Something higgins was very foolish not to do as AC should have been his QB coach period!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

First off MOST teams and coaches don't want games to be about individual personal battles but about what your team needs to do and is to do to win a football game. Clearly this doesn't apply to the suspect leadership group that is appearing not to be connected from GM to HC in BC - it's sounding this week somewhat DYSFUNCTIONAL what with Wally's comments about his possible demise and soul searching being more of the BC Lion religious variety - something I prepare out of the workplace.

For the first time ever I have lost respect for the BC Lions from top to bottom IF they think players on a 3 and 5 can speak like this.

I won't post the whole article as that is against the law these days but it's a good one.
Ullrich: Genius or garrulous? Manny’s mouth has Alouettes riled up

Lions wideout dissed Montreal right after the Als laid the smackdown on B.C.; now they’re looking forward to seeing Arceneaux again

BY LOWELL ULLRICH, THE PROVINCE SEPTEMBER 2, 2015 6:56 PM

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
For starters, Arceneaux’s former roommate, Als kick returner Stefan Logan, was not impressed.

“If we’re an average team, what do you call yourselves if y’all lost?” asked Logan.
“Respect is earned. And if we haven’t earned it yet by what we did in B.C., then we have another opportunity,” said veteran linebacker Kyries Hebert. “Hopefully he gets to take a trip across the middle and I can introduce myself to him, and hopefully some respect is earned.”
This might be the most telling part of how LU sees this version of the BC Lions when he identifies just Lulay as someone who grasps the reality of the situation they face with MTL.
“You come off a loss and the competitor in you says I want to line up against them now because we can do some things better. I believe we’re going to be facing a team that’s in a different state of mind than when they came (to B.C.). There’s no taking these guys lightly by any means.”

So that’s one B.C. player who respects their opponent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Topefully the brilliant recipe of 'unpredictable Cortez' :wink: ..run on first down and pass on second down.... has been changed to perhaps play action on first down on occasion to keep the Als guessing.
It's been my impression that the Lions haven't used enough play-action on first down but the stats show they're not as run-happy as we might think. The Lions have run 42% of first-down plays, the same percentage as Calgary and Winnipeg and two percentage points back of league-leading Montreal at 44%. Saskatchewan is right up with the league leaders, rushing on 41% of first-down plays.

When the Lions do run on first down, their average gain is 5.2 yards, which ranks fifth in the league. But they rank third overall in second-down conversions (51.7%) and they still lead the league in converting second-and-short (1-3 yards) situations, at 83%.

A lot of the credit for the Lions' rushing success must go to the generally strong play of the offensive line and the determination of Andrew Harris. What would really help is not only to use more play action but to use more misdirection, reverses, sweeps and counters with other ball carriers to keep defences on their heels and keep them from keying so much n Harris.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:Topefully the brilliant recipe of 'unpredictable Cortez' :wink: ..run on first down and pass on second down.... has been changed to perhaps play action on first down on occasion to keep the Als guessing.
It's been my impression that the Lions haven't used enough play-action on first down but the stats show they're not as run-happy as we might think. The Lions have run 42% of first-down plays, the same percentage as Calgary and Winnipeg and two percentage points back of league-leading Montreal at 44%. Saskatchewan is right up with the league leaders, rushing on 41% of first-down plays.

When the Lions do run on first down, their average gain is 5.2 yards, which ranks fifth in the league. But they rank third overall in second-down conversions (51.7%) and they still lead the league in converting second-and-short (1-3 yards) situations, at 83%.

A lot of the credit for the Lions' rushing success must go to the generally strong play of the offensive line and the determination of Andrew Harris. What would really help is not only to use more play action but to use more misdirection, reverses, sweeps and counters with other ball carriers to keep defences on their heels and keep them from keying so much n Harris.
I was thinking back to the woes of the 0 and 5 that ended with the GC versus this 3 and 5 team. Somehow this team this year seems worse and less likable from a fan's perspective from GM on down to players. There is something that stinks in the character of this group that I can't fully put my finger on.
FEAR_THE_ROAR
prospect

you can't put your finger on it???

-hmm we let all of our good players go because wally is the cheapest person known to man.
-instead of punishing manny for his stupid comments ( YOU JUST LOST TO THAT "TERRIBLE TEAM" , SHUT UP!) you put him in a new spot to try and catch more balls?
-you bring hawkins in and put him as a starter right away??? hahah what a joke!!!!!! :rotf: :rotf:
-our game plans are just stupid, plain and simple.

But what are we playing for? Draft position? please, we are literally the worst team when it comes to drafting. wow we would get a high pick and waste it on a player who can't help us in anyway, or prob trade out of that spot to collect more picks to draft more useless players to fill our roster so that we can let go the remaining good players on our roster.....

this team is in a nose dive, and dropping fast!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:

A couple of things BCFAN, one, the comparisons in %'s aren't valid because this approach is working in other cities but not here. Whether the Lions are running 42% or 52% on first down isn't the issue, its the fact that its not working and yet Cortez has become even more predictable in recent weeks. And to that point, if you broke down those stats between the first month of the season and then ever since, Cortez (for some bizarre reason) has become much more unilateral and predictable with his play calling. In those first 3 games the Lions were far more creative in their formations and play calling and it really helped both Lulay and the OLine.

All I can say is that something very, very BIZARRE is happening in front of our eyes and I'm not able to see or understand the whole picture just yet. What is our Head Coach doing? Sure, a lot of the problems originate from Wally's office door, but this is supposed to be Jeff Tedford's football team and I don't see ANYTHING that looks different here since Benevides was coaching! This is a mess and it only appears to be getting worse...and now tonight a game on the road against a ramped up MTL team that just beat HAM in HAM!

If there was ever a must win game for Tedford as the Lions HC, this is it.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sekeres and Lalji on 1040 right now speculating on Tedford's future. MS thinks WB will go full Popp (my phrase, not theirs) and take over on the sidelines if we lose tonight. Lalji, paraphrase: "Players not responding to Tedford. Tired of being treated like college kids."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:Sekeres and Lalji on 1040 right now speculating on Tedford's future. MS thinks WB will go full Popp (my phrase, not theirs) and take over on the sidelines if we lose tonight. Lalji, paraphrase: "Players not responding to Tedford. Tired of being treated like college kids."

I am wondering specifically what Lalji meant by the highlighted comment. This is a young team (coaching mistake to release too many vets) so maybe they need some direction? Are there more rules than other teams and if so are they needed? What is the difference between how you treat a pro and how you treat a college player?
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Sekeres and Lalji on 1040 right now speculating on Tedford's future. MS thinks WB will go full Popp (my phrase, not theirs) and take over on the sidelines if we lose tonight. Lalji, paraphrase: "Players not responding to Tedford. Tired of being treated like college kids."

I am wondering specifically what Lalji meant by the highlighted comment. This is a young team (coaching mistake to release too many vets) so maybe they need some direction? Are there more rules than other teams and if so are they needed? What is the difference between how you treat a pro and how you treat a college player?
You can't have two sets of rules for your vets and your rookies. A lot of the vets aren't happy with the way they are being treated.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

FEAR_THE_ROAR wrote:you can't put your finger on it???

-hmm we let all of our good players go because wally is the cheapest person known to man.
-instead of punishing manny for his stupid comments ( YOU JUST LOST TO THAT "TERRIBLE TEAM" , SHUT UP!) you put him in a new spot to try and catch more balls?
-you bring hawkins in and put him as a starter right away??? hahah what a joke!!!!!! :rotf: :rotf:
-our game plans are just stupid, plain and simple.

But what are we playing for? Draft position? please, we are literally the worst team when it comes to drafting. wow we would get a high pick and waste it on a player who can't help us in anyway, or prob trade out of that spot to collect more picks to draft more useless players to fill our roster so that we can let go the remaining good players on our roster.....

this team is in a nose dive, and dropping fast!
Hawkins has been with us since training camp. He's been injured, but probably would have been a starter since the beginning of the year had he not gotten injured, so not sure what's so funny.

And yes, putting Manny in a new spot to try and catch more balls is a smart move. He's our best receiver. Are you interested in winning games or playing childish games?
Roar you Lions roar!