Michael Sam signs 2yr deal with Alouettes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:RDS is reporting that Michael Sams have returned back to Montreal.
CJAD radio has a similar report.

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/06/2 ... -alouettes
Michael Sam back in Montreal, but is he back with the Alouettes?
Posted on 6/25/2015 11:37:00 PM by Luciano Pipia and Canadian Press

Michael Sam is back in town, but is he back with the Alouettes?

He left the Als' training camp recently apparently for personal reasons.

TSN 690's Joey Alfieri spoke with Rick Moffat during Thursday night's broadcast of the Montreal-Ottawa season opener at Molson stadium.

"I just spoke to a source who informed me that Michael Sam is definitely in town and that there's a good chance he'll be rejoining the Montreal Alouettes", said Alfieri.

The Als suspended the defensive end, a move that freeds up a roster spot while allowing the Alouettes to retain Sam's CFL rights.

Sam received special permission to return home to Texas.

His departure came three weeks after he became the first openly gay player to sign in the CFL.

The 25-year-old Sam was selected in the seventh round of the 2014 NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, becoming the first openly gay player chosen by an NFL team.

He was later cut by the Rams and from the Dallas Cowboys' practice roster.

A star at Missouri in college, Sam earned SEC Defensive Player of the Year honours in 2013 before turning pro.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I see the Alouettes still have Sam on their suspended list. Since he is back in Montreal and presumably fulfilling his contractual obligations to the team surely this will have to change, but at what point? IIRC the 46-man roster has to be declared 24hrs prior to next kickoff (presumably the other player lists as well; aside, neither injured QB, Dan LeFevour nor Jon Crompton, has yet been moved off the active list).

I'm guessing he will be moved to the practice roster as a first step and will have bide his time and earn a spot on the gameday roster from there. Their PR is currently at its 10 player limit (hello, Dobson Collins), so someone else would have to be somehow deleted to make room for him. Another possibility is "hiding" him as injured.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I see the Alouettes still have Sam on their suspended list. Since he is back in Montreal and presumably fulfilling his contractual obligations to the team surely this will have to change, but at what point? IIRC the 46-man roster has to be declared 24hrs prior to next kickoff (presumably the other player lists as well; aside, neither injured QB, Dan LeFevour nor Jon Crompton, has yet been moved off the active list).

I'm guessing he will be moved to the practice roster as a first step and will have bide his time and earn a spot on the gameday roster from there. Their PR is currently at its 10 player limit (hello, Dobson Collins), so someone else would have to be somehow deleted to make room for him. Another possibility is "hiding" him as injured.
I see the Als already have 10 players on the 6-game IR before this week's moves, which don't have to be declared until 24 hours before game time. The Argos have the next highest total, with 8.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I'm guessing he will be moved to the practice roster as a first step and will have bide his time and earn a spot on the gameday roster from there. Their PR is currently at its 10 player limit (hello, Dobson Collins), so someone else would have to be somehow deleted to make room for him. Another possibility is "hiding" him as injured.
Popp said today that he's still several weeks away from being ready to play, which lends credence to the fact that he came up here out-of-shape, likely thinking it was going to be a walk in the park.

I would not be at all surprised if the 'personal issues' he went home to tend to was actually a 'personal trainer.'

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I'm guessing he will be moved to the practice roster as a first step and will have bide his time and earn a spot on the gameday roster from there. Their PR is currently at its 10 player limit (hello, Dobson Collins), so someone else would have to be somehow deleted to make room for him. Another possibility is "hiding" him as injured.
Popp said today that he's still several weeks away from being ready to play, which lends credence to the fact that he came up here out-of-shape, likely thinking it was going to be a walk in the park.

I would not be at all surprised if the 'personal issues' he went home to tend to was actually a 'personal trainer.'

DH :cool:
DH you may be right. Sam spoke of training and practicing 1 yard off the ball in Dallas.

Long interview with Tom Higgins following the Sam interview. He laid it out that the guy was a bit testy as he understands his situation in the team. Other players who actually played don't let someone who can't make the roster yet getting all the media attention. It is a long interview but you can read between the lines as Tom H replies.

Higgins said he met with him Sunday and asked what he wanted.

I think if it was any other player not one of such significance the Als would have let him go home suspended and just forgot him.

Higgins said they granted him permission to speak to the team and it lasted about a minute. All coaches and TH left the room and a minute later he heard clapping and it was over.
He made a joke. Not sure if they clapped as it was over or ___.

I honestly think the interview Higgins did show without words the Als want to be the Montreal equivalent in baseball where they had Jackie Robinson - the first black pro black player. If Sam can make it it will put the CFL and Montreal on the map and get the sex orientation issue to rest much like it has been done in the workplace.

I think the Als are speaking to the likes of Brian Burke on this issue as the stakes are deemed high and bigger than Sam.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Higgins stated bluntly that Sams was out of shape.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Higgins stated bluntly that Sams was out of shape.
:thup: Yes, he did. I recall now thinking he was just saying that rather than say he is simply not shown us yet that he can play.
VictoriaFan
Starter

according to TMZ, (my wife was watching it honest) Sam split with his long time fiancé while off for personal reasons from the Als. http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/michael-s ... ch_Results , not judging just saying.
Tighthead
Legend

Sam was in poor shape at the veteran combine. I don't think he is very committed to football in any league.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Sam was in poor shape at the veteran combine. I don't think he is very committed to football in any league.
You know what? That sounds about the way I am thinking.

As a career manager I give Sam pretty low marks for how he is doing things including leaving.

If it was not his high profile sexual orientation and my sense that MTL wants to be game breakers here (IF he can play) he'd be toast for leaving.

If he can't make it in the CFL, I can't see any NFL wanting him given his walk off for "personal" reasons - whatever they were.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

From Yahoo, a report that Als coach Tom Higgins is expecting Sam to make his debut sometime in August. Back through Mtl's 2nd reg season game on Jul 3, just after he returned following a widely reported absence from the team, he's been listed on the 46-man active roster as John Bowman's backup and has been one of the two healthy scratches each of their last three games. It sounds like there's an outside chance he might make his debut against us here when the Als visit on Thu Aug 20, or at least be on the game day roster if he debuts and manages to stick before this. Possibly due to extra media attention it would draw as the article speculates, Higgins isn't tipping his hand yet on exactly in which game he expects Sam to debut. Since he's been on the 46-man all this time, the disclosure might come simply in the form of not being one of the two healthy scratches — which of course need be declared only an hour before kickoff.

So it's up to Higgins how soon in advance he wants it known.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/michae ... --spt.html
Michael Sam to make CFL debut for Alouettes some time in August
By Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press
Jul 28, 2015

MONTREAL - Michael Sam's CFL debut is getting closer, but Montreal Alouettes coach Tom Higgins won't say exactly when it will be.

Some time in August, perhaps as early as Saturday in Calgary, the defensive end who gained fame as the first active pro football player who is openly gay will get into a game.

"He's going to see the field in August, but we have five games in August, four on the road," Higgins said Tuesday. "He is getting so much closer to being able to play.

"He's ready. He wants to go and I think it's going to happen sooner than later."

Sam, who signed a two-year contract with Montreal, has been working on conditioning and getting to know the team and the Canadian game since he returned to the squad June 29 after missing part of training to attend to personal matters.

It was felt he would need a month to get ready, and that time has passed.

If he doesn't play Saturday, the Alouettes play Aug. 7 in Ottawa, then at home Aug. 13 against Edmonton before returning to the road for games at British Columbia and Hamilton.

Higgins is anxious to see exactly what he has in the All American from the University of Missouri who was selected in the seventh round of the 2014 NFL draft by St. Louis. He didn't crack the Rams lineup and was released after a spell on the Dallas practice roster before signing with Montreal.

"We'd like to see him play and we'd like to add some depth," said Higgins. "He could possibly help us on special teams.

"And we'd like to get the answer everyone's looking for — can he play? The only way we can answer that question is to give him an opportunity and put him on the field."

Sam was not made available to the media for comment.

The hard part is deciding who to take out to make room for him on a defence that has been Montreal's strength through the first four regular season games. Veteran John Bowman and Gabriel Knapton are set as the starting rush ends.

It could be the Alouettes don't want to spark a media fire by announcing when Sam will play. The Texan has become a celebrity, including an appearance on Danicing With The Stars, since declaring himself gay ahead of the NFL draft.

Since the regular season opened, Sam has been put on the team's 46-man roster the day before a game, only to be taken off when the roster was cut to 44 an hour before kickoff.

Until now, it was likely done because a player on the 46-man roster gets full game pay. Now, it may mean he will wear his No. 94 jersey in a game.

Higgins doesn't like to tip his hand early on what his roster will be.

"We're not making a declaration because we don't have to," said Higgins. "I understand what the fascination is with all this. I respect that."

Sam did not practice with the starters on Tuesday, but neither was he with the third stringers as he was before the Alouettes had their bye week last week.

There was also movement at quarterback, as third stringer Andrew Manley was released along with defensive lineman Markell Carter and replaced by former Duke quarterback Anthony Boone and receiver B.J. Cunningham.

The Alouettes will dress three rookie pivots in starter Rakeem Cato, backup Brandon Bridge and Boone, while Jonathan Crompton and Tanner Marsh recover from injuries.

"We're not anticipating using our third quarterback any time soon, knock on wood, but he'll know how to quarterback sneak," Higgins said of Boone.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Als and Higgins are handling this situation pretty well - brilliantly actually - given the unique dimensions to this case.

The only outstanding question is the team. When someone de-activates from the game day roster there are not just winners and losers but it can affect others on the team.

When Sam came back the only Als players comments were - they want to know if this player is committed to their team and what they are doing.

Look at it this way:

> player leaves during TC and misses pre-season for personal reasons that down south media suggest was a partnership break up (I'm not sure that is a reason to leave TC but not sure other than Als defended him).
> player in TC who leaves but has others raising eyebrows and players (anon) saying 'this guy was all SEC?' or things like that according to media-
> speculation that he came not in shape.

Then you'd normally conclude they'd release the guy.

But for two reasons:

1. MTL do think there is a raw talent there that can play and letting him go might lead to a scoop up elsewhere in the CFL
2. The entire pro sports world is watching and I do honestly feel like MTL did with baseball's Jackie Robinson - Sam's success could be big for MTL as a game breaker of sorts in sports.

When soccer's Justin Fashanu (dec) was with the 86ers that German (?) media article for which he was said to have been paid $80K CAD was published in 1990. According to my sources he told the team in advance. I knew some of that team and asked what they thought and I got the reply that the entire team wanted to come out and say they were gay as that was a lot more money than the 86ers could pay. They were all asking Fashanu for the reporter's number!!! lol.... Sadly he committed suicide in 98 and his brother to this day claims he was just an attention seeker and out for the $$$. And as to his sexuality - these 86ers players told me - no one gave a bleep - but these were all mostly local Canadians - tolerant and not judging.

EDIT: just went back to fact check my Fashanu post and found this horrible story that alleges the money he got he had to take or they'd out him. Off topic here but Sam is mentioned in this story of horrid treatment he suffered at the hands of the great but arrogant Cloughie.

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/the-li ... n-fashanu/
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On a related note, I'm not sure if they've done this in past years but I see the Lions are using a Pride Week-themed avatar on their twitter and facebook accounts this week and have said they will be participating in the Pride Parade downtown this Sunday.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:On a related note, I'm not sure if they've done this in past years but I see the Lions are using a Pride Week-themed avatar on their twitter and facebook accounts this week and have said they will be participating in the Pride Parade downtown this Sunday.

This is a terrific idea and something that I have been saying for years: the gay community is a good fit for the Lions. Generally speaking as a group, gays have more disposable income than the rest of the population, I'm guessing more gays live downtown close to the stadium than in the suburbs, "Lions, the Pride of all BC" fits nicely with Gay Pride and what gay man wouldn't like watching athletic men run around in tight pants? And you can go to games dressed up in an outrageous costume (as long as it is orange and black). :yahoo:

Home game coming up August 20 against the Als. I wonder if Michael Sam will be playing? Just say'n.

For comparison there are several ski weeks at Whistler that are more crowded than Gay and Lesbian week in early February but G&L week is the second spendiest week for the resort after Xmas/NYE week. Doing business with gay people can be good for business.