Michael Sam signs 2yr deal with Alouettes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s ... 11183.html
With no NFL interest, Michael Sam will play in the CFL
By Frank Schwab
2 hours ago
Shutdown Corner

The Canadian Football League wasn't defensive end Michael Sam's first choice, but it was his best one right now as he tries to establish a professional career.

Sam has signed with the Montreal Alouettes, the team announced on Friday. USA Today's Tom Pelissero said it's a one-year deal with an option for 2016.

Sam, the former co-SEC defensive player of the year at Missouri, was the first openly gay player to be drafted by the NFL when the St. Louis Rams took him in the seventh round in 2014. Despite a productive preseason, the Rams cut him before the regular season started. The Dallas Cowboys added Sam to their practice squad, but cut him before the regular season was done. That was Sam's last NFL job.

Maybe a good season in the CFL will generate some interest from NFL teams, if that's his goal.

“With the signing of Michael Sam, we have become a better organization today,” Alouettes’ general manager Jim Popp said, according to the team's site. “Not only have we added an outstanding football player, we have added even a better person that brings dignity, character, and heart to our team.”

Sam's arrival will generate more interest than most signings. His story has been a big one in the sports world since he publicly announced he was gay last year. Sam has been a bit of a controversial figure, with questions if him being gay kept him from being drafted higher by NFL teams, or if it's behind him not being able to get an NFL job.

If Sam goes to the CFL and shows the pass-rushing skills he showed at Missouri and flashed during his preseason with the Rams, it'll be hard for NFL teams to keep passing him up.
Not that it's a certainty or anything, but it would look bad on the NFL if he becomes another Cameron Wake story. Will be interesting to see how all this unfolds.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Als have a pretty solid DL. Not sure how he'll fit in unless someone is trade, released or takes a pay cut? Perhaps this is a signal that Mitchell's days are numbered.
MikeAK
All Star

Obviously we won't know how Sam's game will transition to the CFL, but the dude can play and has exceptional athletic abilities. He could be a real steal for the ALs
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:Obviously we won't know how Sam's game will transition to the CFL, but the dude can play and has exceptional athletic abilities. He could be a real steal for the ALs
but he cant dance :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Tighthead
Legend

I think Sam is the opposite of Wake - very productive in college, but not an exceptional athlete (by football standards, not lionbacker poster standards).

Wake is a complete athletic freak. When you stand out from the pack like he does, you are in a different zone.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If he impresses in the CFL and lives up to the university hype that comes with all college stars you'd have to think he'd be given another look in the NFL.

But first he has hurdle 1 to prove to the Als. That is - that he wants to be in the CFL and wants to be a top player. Not all disappointed stars get over the NFL snub nor do they grasp that the quality of football in the CFL is not just amateur.

Who knows. He might play well and also find Montreal, Canada and the CFL friendlier and somewhere he'd like to live and forget the NFL. Calvillo is American but has made it clear Montreal is where they want to live. Others find this place similar for them and stay.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

He's a great fit for the CFL game and I hope he does well here. Not an NFL level talent, however.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:He's a great fit for the CFL game and I hope he does well here. Not an NFL level talent, however.
The problem with some players that are great CFL fits is that they don't always see it that way.

There is something to be said for those who come to the CFL see that it's a great fit as well as the culture and the people - and they put aside their NFL aspirations for the satisfaction of a good CFL career.

It's a huge step up from even top college teams and divisions to the pros. It's like a jump from HS to top flight university programs magnified 10 fold as there are fewer spots in pros.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Als had a press conference to introduce Sam today.

My focus is football not making CFL history, Michael Sam says

(link contains 16-min video of presser)
Michael Sam says he's focused on football not making history in CFL
The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:41AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:02PM EDT

MONTREAL -- Michael Sam says his priority is helping the Montreal Alouettes win, not making history as the first openly gay player in the Canadian Football League.

Sam was signed to a two-year deal by the Alouettes last week.

"I'm not trying to really do anything historic here by being with Montreal, I'm just trying to help the team win some games so we can bring the Grey Cup back home," Sam told a packed news conference Tuesday.

The 25-year-old Sam came out before last year's NFL draft. He was selected in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams to become the first openly gay player chosen by an NFL team.

The Rams cut him in training camp. The Dallas Cowboys signed him to their practice squad but released him in October.

Sam starred at Missouri in college, earning SEC Defensive Player of the Year honours in 2013.

Alouettes general manager Jim Popp, who called Sam a "trailblazing athlete," said he believes the six-foot-two, 260-pound player can excel as pass-rusher in the CFL.

Sam agreed.

"My size fits as a pass-rusher," said Sam. "I led my team in pre-season in sacks and that was in the NFL so I'm a pass-rusher. Doesn't matter where I'm at."

Sam is considered by NFL teams to be a "tweener," not quite the right body type to be a defensive end or an outside linebacker for that league.

But he may fit perfectly in the CFL. Popp believes Sam can follow a path similar to that of Cam Wake, who was converted from linebacker to end when he joined the B.C. Lions in 2007. Wake was the CFL Defensive Player of the Year in each of his two seasons before signing with the Miami Dolphins, where he has had a successful NFL career.

Sam said he became comfortable with his sexual orientation in his senior year in college. He came out on Feb. 9, 2014.

"There was a reason why I came out to my team, because I didn't want to live a life behind the closet anymore," he said. "Eventually it was going to come out anyway so I have no regrets. I'm happy with myself. I'm living my life the way I want to live."

After he came out, Sam's NFL jersey was an instant bestseller in the U.S. The Alouettes already put his No. 94 sweater on sale on its website for $139.95.

While Sam wants to be seen as just another football player, he knows his decision to reveal his homosexuality came with a certain responsibility.

"I've set in motion a lot of stuff," he said. "I have a responsibility to handle myself the right way and carry myself the right way so future athletes who may straight, gay, bisexual, whatever, they can be inspired just by what I'm doing."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting comparison by Jim Popp to Cameron Wake. I know he is not saying that this is Wake Reincarnate - just a size comparison and potential as a pass rusher.

But they all look great at their signings - until they play.

I hope no incidents across the CFL occur as you'd have to be from Mars to not know how businesses are viewing the conduct of their employees with the FHRITP comment when the female CTV was live on air.

We know what happened with the Stamps QB Bo Levi when it was clear on air the Esks DB made a homophobic remark and Mitchell made an issue of it. Even Esks players denounced their team mate.

Fans have to fear the cell phone cam.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Interesting comparison by Jim Popp to Cameron Wake. I know he is not saying that this is Wake Reincarnate - just a size comparison and potential as a pass rusher.

But they all look great at their signings - until they play.

I hope no incidents across the CFL occur as you'd have to be from Mars to not know how businesses are viewing the conduct of their employees with the FHRITP comment when the female CTV was live on air.

We know what happened with the Stamps QB Bo Levi when it was clear on air the Esks DB made a homophobic remark and Mitchell made an issue of it. Even Esks players denounced their team mate.

Fans have to fear the cell phone cam.
Credit to Popp and the Alouettes. Best wishes to Michael Sam in his pursuit of a CFL career. The players have to know almost everything they do and say is caught by the media, sooner or later, as with the Bo Mitchell incident.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wonder if anyone on the Als team has spoken to Kalif about staying off twitter and keeping his foot out of his mouth. I'm not implying that Kalif is homophobic, just that he is an unpredictable loose cannon.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I wonder if anyone on the Als team has spoken to Kalif about staying off twitter and keeping his foot out of his mouth. I'm not implying that Kalif is homophobic, just that he is an unpredictable loose cannon.
He already tweeted Sam a welcome on Friday — the same day the signing was announced.

@MichaelSamNFL Congrats & Welcome to the Team Mike. Getting that Grey Cup is the Finish Line. Starting @ the DLine. God BLESS & Safe Travels
4:25 PM - 22 May 2015
That NFL suffix on Sam's twitter handle looks a little awkward at this stage. His picture atop his twitter page still shows him in Dallas Cowboy colours as I type. That will have to soon change.

Sam for his part hasn't tweeted much since the signing, which is probably for the best. Four tweets: one to convey his reaction to the signing (thrilled, obv), then a retweet from the LGBT press announcing the Als are already selling his #94 jersey, then a non-football pic of himself with (I'm guessing from the accompanying comment) a friend who's in the military, and finally a pic from today's presser re-iterating his happiness to be with Mtl.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First day of rookie camp

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/110181
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
cromartie wrote:He's a great fit for the CFL game and I hope he does well here. Not an NFL level talent, however.
The problem with some players that are great CFL fits is that they don't always see it that way.
Ah yes. The CFL's perpetual grand tragedy. Guys who could stay and be productive players and even hall of famers but instead try and dither around on the fringes of the NFL and waste their careers.