Lions D Line for 2015 - Lions add 3 DL, May 21, 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Internationals. Newcomers.

Zach Minter, 6'1", 307

Marcus Dixon, 6'3", 295
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Dixon

This story is going to get out there. So I am going to mention it here, with respect for what Marcus Dixon has gone through.

I had never heard of this before. I am going to do some more research on it.

IMO ... From what I have read, it does sound like a racially motivated decision by the jury, and by the family that brought charges.

I credit the Lions for giving him this opportunity.
Overturned conviction and release

The Georgia Supreme Court overturned Dixon's conviction and he was released May 3, 2004. The court let his conviction for misdemeanor statutory rape stand.[15] After Dixon's release both he and Brown appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in an attempt to clarify their stories.[16]
He is now 30 years old. I wish him the best in his efforts to make it onto the Lions' roster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... e-1.982917

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/6/1 ... rcus-dixon

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/23/ ... l-to-jets/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 43387.html
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Pretty sure those stories were out there last fall when Dixon was signed by BC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Pretty sure those stories were out there last fall when Dixon was signed by BC.
Apparently he played a game for us last year. I do not remember that.

And I either missed this article last October by Mike Beamish, or my memory is slipping with age.

Hopefully he can play well for us.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html

pennw
Legend

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/ ... gery.html/

This guy looks like he may be an interesting prospect . Pretty quick and athletic for a guy his size .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks very athletic with a good motor.
David
Team Captain

Well that was short-lived. Marcus Dixon, whom many of us saw as a nose tackle or zero technique that could pick up the extra block, has retired the club announced today. 3 defensive linemen have been added.

Details HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well that was short-lived. Marcus Dixon, whom many of us saw as a nose tackle or zero technique that could pick up the extra block, has retired the club announced today. 3 defensive linemen have been added.

Details HERE.

Thanks, David.

Michael Brooks, 6.03, 275

Craig Roh, 6.05, 265

Alex King, 6.4, 240

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robin Ross - Defensive Line Coach

Robin enters his first season with the Lions and brings almost 40 years of coaching experience to the club as he tutors a talented pool of defensive linemen. Ross is reunited with Lions head coach Jeff Tedford as the two served together on the staff of the Fresno State Bulldogs in 1996 and the Oregon Ducks in 1998.

Most recently, Ross was the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach at the University of Wyoming where he served for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Prior to joining the Cowboys program, Robin was the linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator at UNLV in 2011.

Enjoying a notable coaching career that began at Long Beach State in 1977, the California native has also made stops at Cincinnati (’84-’85), Washington State (’86), Iowa State (’87-’93), Western Washington (’94-’95 and ’06-‘08), Fresno State (’96), Oregon (’97-’98 and ’01-’04) and Oregon State (’05). Four of those appointments were as a defensive coordinator (Cincinnati, Iowa State, Western Washington and Fresno State).

Robin spent two seasons in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders (’99-’00) where he coached linebackers and helped the club to an appearance in the 2000 AFC Championship game.

He returned to the college ranks in 2001 and eventually made his way back to Western Washington University in 2006 where he was named head coach of the Vikings after serving as defensive coordinator nine years earlier. While the school discontinued the football program after the 2008 season, Ross had rebuilt the team into an NAIA powerhouse with its first postseason bowl appearance in almost 10 years.

Robin played his college football at Washington State and earned Second Team All-Pac 8 Conference honors in 1975. He was a 10th round selection of the San Francisco 49ers in the 1976 NFL Draft and eventually playing in four games during the 1976 preseason with the Seattle Seahawks. He and his wife Jean reside in Bellingham, Washington
Deep, impressive resume. Nice that he lives year round in nearby Bellingham.

David
Team Captain

I am completely confused about our D line for 2015. Hoping some of you can shed some light or have heard something as I am a little concerned about the interior of our line.

Here's what we know:

* both Eric Taylor and Khalif are gone from last year's roster. Taylor's release I didn't see coming, especially without a solid replacement (which isn't jumping out at me on the roster).
* Newcomer Zack Minter (6'1" 307lbs) will almost certainly anchor one DT position and that's almost by default. Marcus Dixon quit.
* The heaviest off-season signing besides Minter is Michael Brooks at 275 lbs. Wally did not "talk up" any defensive linemen from the Seattle camp.
* Jabar Westerman is being moved to 5 tech, and 1st round draft pick Ese Mrabure-Ajufo will join him there. Same for Maxx Forde.
* Where do they see David Menard fitting into the rotation?
* Does this mean our Nationals are competing with Alex Bazzie or Khreem Smith?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Westerman 285
EMA 250
Doege 230
Forde 272
Khreem 270
Roh 265
King 240
Minter 307
Brooks 275
Menard 265
Bazzie 228

It would seem we need a couple more big guys for the middle. Going up against OLines averaging 300+ pounds could hardly work, especially in stopping the run.

On the face of it, David, it is a concern.

Doege has not really been tested.

Bazzie seemed ineffective as the year moved on.

King must be a rush end type at 240.

Can we really expect EMA to play inside at 250?

Roh and Brooks are smallish for the interior, it seems to me, to withstand the push of behemoth O Linemen.

We will see ...

ballhawk
Legend

One thing that bothers me is that people (press and others) ignore Steven Doege when talking about the DL. I've seen this time after time. It's like he doesn't exist on the roster. Is it because he is an ex-CJFL junior player and not a over-hyped and pampered CIS or other drafted player? I tend to root for the underdog and this year I really hope Doege shows all just what he is capable of doing this training camp! He is in tough with 4 other Canadians vying for a roster spot at that position, but let's give him at least a mention (how about it Ullrich and others).
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
David
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:One thing that bothers me is that people (press and others) ignore Steven Doege when talking about the DL. I've seen this time after time. It's like he doesn't exist on the roster.
I am cheering for Doege. I love that we are able to sign territorial exemptions, and all things being equal I would prefer a position to go a kid from BC. But this is his 4th training camp and he hasn't (yet) been able to crack the starting roster. I've always thought that he has a great motor but a little on the light side for a DE, hoping he would bulk up a bit. Maybe this is his year, but there's going to be even more competition this year with all of the 5 tech draft picks.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have stated that they plan to start one Canadian on defence but the way they've loaded up on Canadian DL suggests they hope to start two Canadians, with the second being either a DB or second lineman depending on the situation. The new pass-defence rules will put extreme pressure on the secondary. In passing situations the Loins could start two Canadians on the DL with an American rush end, two international linebackers and seven international DBs. That allows them to use an extra American OL, receiver or RB.

Another, perhaps bigger consideration is special teams. Teams will be rebuilding their depth in response to the new special teams rules. Having a surplus of young, athletic, tweener-type defensive ends can be a strength on special teams, even if some of those players seldom see the field on defence.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was shocked at Taylor's release as I didn't think that his play had fallen off and with no clear replacement why not have someone actually beat him out of a job in TC?

With Westerman as a starter, perhaps 2 of Menard, Doege, Forde, EMA become the 5th and 6th D-linemen that the Lions dress for games as the rotational guys. If EMA works out as a Special Teams guy then maybe they dress one less NAT Special Teams FB or LB and dress EMA instead and also as a 4th NAT D lineman (including Westerman). But who knows, probably not even Wally or Ted at this point. Just lots of options but still puzzling about Taylor's release.