Grey cup or Super bowl better party

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

I was at my first Super Bowl last year in New York , everyone says Super bowl parties are too expensive never had that experience at all in fact they had so many free things like a grey cup , I love both , but I whish Dave Pratt would shut about how the Grey Cup is a better experience when both have there own experience.

Everyone have a great grey cup weekend.
Tighthead
Legend

I wonder if Pratt has been to a Superbowl in the last 20 years, let alone ever.
dupsdell1
Champion

Yeah Realy
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

Believe Pratt has been to at least one Super Bowl. Niners/Dolphins in Palo Alto I wanna say.. So quite some time. I think the point he always makes, and having been to both multiple Grey Cups and Super Bowls I agree with him, is that Grey Cup it is easier for the average Joe to have a good time. Most marquee Super Bowl events require lots of $$ and/or connections.
dupsdell1
Champion

BakeTEAM1040 wrote:Believe Pratt has been to at least one Super Bowl. Niners/Dolphins in Palo Alto I wanna say.. So quite some time. I think the point he always makes, and having been to both multiple Grey Cups and Super Bowls I agree with him, is that Grey Cup it is easier for the average Joe to have a good time. Most marquee Super Bowl events require lots of $$ and/or connections.

Yes I agree with the meeting of the Players and team party's the grey cup is a lot easier and cheaper to have fun that way , but when I was in New York I was surprised at how many fun things there were to do for all ages reminded so much of the grey cup , it did not have a corporate feeling at all as Pratt says it has , I like both super bowl and Grey cup. but I found the of course the super bowl of course way more people into it .
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have to admit I've only ever been to a Superbowl Party. It was the last time the Raiders were involved. Grey Cup parties are NOT something I'd enjoy simply because a quiet focus on the game itself. Feasting on food and a lollipop or two? For sure but I don't want to be sitting next to people wondering what pass interference is......(even though I often wonder myself :wink: )
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I have to admit I've only ever been to a Superbowl Party. It was the last time the Raiders were involved. Grey Cup parties are NOT something I'd enjoy simply because a quiet focus on the game itself. Feasting on food and a lollipop or two? For sure but I don't want to be sitting next to people wondering what pass interference is......(even though I often wonder myself :wink: )
Since we're talking GC/SB parties I'll repeat this story I told on here a few months ago:
[There was] a rather awkward Grey Cup party I attended at a friend's place in 1995. The room was almost nothing but couples. Pretty much every ad break, over and over they ran the same tease for the lead story on that evening's CBC newscast, which was how society was reaching epidemic levels of marital infidelity.

Every time it aired the room was just DEATH. *WORST* GC party ever. And watching a soon-to-be-defunct American team cart away the loot did nothing to squelch the situation. Certainly no one hung around long enough to watch the news.
I see I left something out of that story the first time I told it. As bad as that was, there were rumours about at least one or two of those couples being on rocky shoals. Some wandering eyes in the crowd. Yeah so that was a GC to forget.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

dupsdell1 wrote:
BakeTEAM1040 wrote:Believe Pratt has been to at least one Super Bowl. Niners/Dolphins in Palo Alto I wanna say.. So quite some time. I think the point he always makes, and having been to both multiple Grey Cups and Super Bowls I agree with him, is that Grey Cup it is easier for the average Joe to have a good time. Most marquee Super Bowl events require lots of $$ and/or connections.

Yes I agree with the meeting of the Players and team party's the grey cup is a lot easier and cheaper to have fun that way , but when I was in New York I was surprised at how many fun things there were to do for all ages reminded so much of the grey cup , it did not have a corporate feeling at all as Pratt says it has , I like both super bowl and Grey cup. but I found the of course the super bowl of course way more people into it .
New York was awesome/unique in the sense that it was NY and so much to do. New Orleans was similar, as if you couldn't get into any of the big parties, you could still have a blast in the French Quarter. Indianapolis was so small, it had a Grey Cup like feel to it. You could actually walk to Lucas Oil Stadium from the media hotel without even stepping outside it was that condensed. But a lot of the big stuff was off limits to most people. Dallas was by far the most corporate of the 4 I have been to. No vibe in the city at all, and it kind of got lost seeing as Cowboys Stadium was 50 miles away. That, plus the major ice storm AND cab strike ruined a lot of things. I am curious to see how the next two in Arizona and Santa Clara work out because they are the same as Dallas in the sense that everything is so spread out. Houston in three years will be outstanding. Just got back from there, and my good buddy lives about 8 miles from NRG Stadium. It was a 7.50 Uber Car ride for us to get to the Texans game.
dupsdell1
Champion

BakeTEAM1040 wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:

New York was awesome/unique in the sense that it was NY and so much to do. New Orleans was similar, as if you couldn't get into any of the big parties, you could still have a blast in the French Quarter. Indianapolis was so small, it had a Grey Cup like feel to it. You could actually walk to Lucas Oil Stadium from the media hotel without even stepping outside it was that condensed. But a lot of the big stuff was off limits to most people. Dallas was by far the most corporate of the 4 I have been to. No vibe in the city at all, and it kind of got lost seeing as Cowboys Stadium was 50 miles away. That, plus the major ice storm AND cab strike ruined a lot of things. I am curious to see how the next two in Arizona and Santa Clara work out because they are the same as Dallas in the sense that everything is so spread out. Houston in three years will be outstanding. Just got back from there, and my good buddy lives about 8 miles from NRG Stadium. It was a 7.50 Uber Car ride for us to get to the Texans game.

Been to a lot , I am going to Arizona this year as my aunt lives there , can stay with her, Going to be interesting to see how everyone gets into it, I know she told me that everyone is hyped already because how good the Cardinals are this year , if Arizona gets a good run in the playoffs I am sure it will be huge.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BakeTEAM1040 wrote:Dallas was by far the most corporate of the 4 I have been to. No vibe in the city at all, and it kind of got lost seeing as Cowboys Stadium was 50 miles away. That, plus the major ice storm AND cab strike ruined a lot of things.
Yet, somehow I doubt the media was hand-wringing that "Dallas is not gripped by Super Bowl spirit," or sentiments to that effect like we saw from some reports on our Grey Cup last month.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Has there ever been a home team in the Super Bowl ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Has there ever been a home team in the Super Bowl ?
They weren't exactly playing at home but the L.A. Rams lost to Pittsburgh at the Rose Bowl in 1980 and the San Francisco 49ers beat Miami at Stanford in 1985.
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Has there ever been a home team in the Super Bowl ?
They weren't exactly playing at home but the L.A. Rams lost to Pittsburgh at the Rose Bowl in 1980 and the San Francisco 49ers beat Miami at Stanford in 1985.
This is correct. Those are closest examples. No team has ever played Super Bowl in its home stadium. Which is kind of bizarre seeing as Miami and New Orleans have both hosted double digit times. Crazy how the year Indy hosted it was pretty much their only off year in the last 10 plus years with Peyton hurt.
dupsdell1
Champion

The Cardinals have a shot this year but I doubt it with there QB hurt