redblacks game this weekend should be cancelled also ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The RAND Corporation makes this statement very clearly:

The United States can help at the margins, but ultimately only the Iraqis have the power to defeat ISIS.

Now which countries destroyed Iraq and their crackerjack Republican Guard that had the means to keep the warring tribes and groups from the chaos that reigns there today? US and UK!

]Regardless of what limited additional measures America decides to undertake in the coming weeks and months, there are three possible Iraqi policies that could help turn the tide.
[/size][/size]

If Iraq succeeds in replacing Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, as now seems likely, the new unity government should decentralize power and distribute a larger portion of the national budget to Sunni-majority areas. Baghdad should also work to strike deals with local Sunni tribes and business owners where ISIS has not yet taken control. These Sunni leaders would cooperate in squeezing ISIS out of local markets in exchange for subsidies and other direct government economic assistance.

Second, America could help the Iraqis and the Kurds analyze ISIS financial information collected in raids and from informants, and then use that information to plot a strategy and to plan operations.

Third, Iraqi and Kurdish forces should make it a priority to displace the group from oil wells in northern Iraq, and to restrict its ability to process oil at its refining facilities in eastern Syria. The Iraqi government must also engage Turkey, Jordan and the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds to plot a joint strategy to contain ISIS's oil operations, especially stopping ISIS from controlling Baiji, Iraq's largest oil production facility, which small Iraqi special forces teams have been defending for the last two months.

http://belfercenter.hks.harvard.edu/pub ... ve_defense
"Is America on the ISIS Hit List?"

Op-Ed, The National Interest

September 29, 2014

Author: Graham Allison, Director, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs; Douglas Dillon Professor of Government, Harvard Kennedy School

ISIS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and his organization are unusual among terrorists in their explicit articulation of their ambitions, their agenda, their priorities, and their strategy. Analyzing their actions, one finds a high level of alignment between what they say and what they do.
Check the article for the target countries for ISIS. Canada wasn't listed and the USA according to this expert:

Notice who is not at the top of this list. For ISIS, the US is both far down--and far away.[/quote]

What should Washington make of this?
]First, if our friends and allies (and adversaries like Iran) to whom ISIS poses an imminent or even existential threat are unwilling to fight for themselves, to kill and to die for their own interests and values, Americans should ask: why should we?

Second, if by feigned, studied fecklessness, those who are threatened most directly can simply wait for Uncle Sam to do the job, is it not rational for them to do so?

Third, if those who are threatened most directly rise to the challenge, they will have more than enough foot soldiers to do the job. While officially excluded from the international coalition the US has assembled, Iranian-sponsored Shai militias, Assad's army, and others whom we rightly count as adversaries on other issues are doing more of the fighting on the ground against ISIS today than our traditional allies.

His conclusion though is what is now not working and has actually put a lot weapons in ISIS hands:
A US strategy that limits our role to air strikes and explicitly forswears American boots on the ground in combat provides just the right balance of incentives and assistance this issue requires.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Putting your beliefs in large capital letters does not make your arguments any more convincing.
dupsdell1
Champion

It is going to be very emotional in Ottawa tonight hope the red blacks win , also all over the Canadian city's in the NHL and the CFL this weekend will be very emotional something that we have never seen before. ( also the remembrance half time show when the lions play Calgary but by then things will have settled down , but not forgotten )
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:First, if our friends and allies (and adversaries like Iran) to whom ISIS poses an imminent or even existential threat are unwilling to fight for themselves, to kill and to die for their own interests and values, Americans should ask: why should we?

Second, if by feigned, studied fecklessness, those who are threatened most directly can simply wait for Uncle Sam to do the job, is it not rational for them to do so?

Third, if those who are threatened most directly rise to the challenge, they will have more than enough foot soldiers to do the job.
These sentiments imply that the indigenous citizens of the affected countries (a) are too cowardly to fight for themselves, yet (b) have a large enough contingent of trained fighters and (c) the materiel to do so. I don't believe that any one of these is true. The Kurds have been fighting bravely and have suffered heavy losses. Ultimately their interests in this case are the same as ours. If they lose their part of Iraq, and the rest of the country (and neighboring countries) falls to ISIS, ultimately we will be in greater danger, as will our ally in the region, Israel.
Toppy Vann wrote:As far as 1999 Foreign Affairs has lamented this sad reality on the part of the USA and it certainly has applied to the UK who followed the US blunder into Iraq fully only to wind up with a huge problem. I believe in national interest and national security like in the old days where we (unlike the USA which was isolationist then) joined two World Wars. We got it wrong in Korea and got it right by staying out of Vietnam.
The fact that a few folks in Foreign Affairs have "lamented this sad reality on the part of the USA" does not necessarily make their views well-founded. In addition, I would disagree with this representation of US foreign policy, It's obviously contrary to historical fact to maintain that the US did not join in two World Wars. First their numerical presence in Europe in 1917 turned the tide in WW I, and, of course, their enormous presence in WW II enabled victory against two very dangerous foes. In fact, is it not inconsistent to blame the US for isolationism (which Woodrow Wilson ended in 1915-16) when that's precisely the position you'd like to see them and Canada take in the present circumstances?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Trust you South Pender to nitpick. I left off the FACT that the USA entered both World Wars late and Canada as soon as they started.

Not one word suggested isolationism but that is the problem with your sort - twist a phrase here or suggest that big fonts discount the points made. Typical. Not much point wasting time responding.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

I'm surprised people are still looking to politicise the act of a drug addled, disenfranchised, petty criminal. I doubt he was capable of following any agenda, he was angry, probably unstable and used the first excuse he could find to lash out.
From what I've read he was more of a drug addict than a devout Muslim! Not associated with any terrorist cell, and given his choice of weapon, not exactly connected with any major criminal gangs ( he sure could have done better than a Winchester lever action if he was)
I think trying to connect this guy to world events is a stretch and attributes rational thinking to him, which I don't think he possessed! I guess we'll never really know!
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Trust you South Pender to nitpick. I left off the FACT that the USA entered both World Wars late and Canada as soon as they started.

Not one word suggested isolationism but that is the problem with your sort - twist a phrase here or suggest that big fonts discount the points made. Typical. Not much point wasting time responding.
LOL. Not nitpicking, Toppy, just expressing and supporting a different interpretation of present events (and perhaps defending our allies to the South). Our view of the appropriate response to the present situation in the Middle East would seem to depend on whether or not we consider the rise of militant Islamism in the Middle East (at present, but likely to spread) a threat to us in the West and, in particular, in Canada. I believe that it is and that an early and strong response is the right one. Others will disagree. Reasonable minds can differ....
dupsdell1
Champion

Very nice opening ceremony tonight who saw it, ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Very nice opening ceremony tonight who saw it, ?
I enjoyed it. Seeing players from both teams RUSH to stand sidebyside to hold the flag while singing our anthem.....

Watched news later and Aloette players were seen (and therefore interviewed of course) at the War Memorial paying their respects....
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:We can't go through life living in fear.
Yes, you can.

Thanks a lot, spiders.