redblacks game this weekend should be cancelled also ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

I think this game should be cancelled in Ottawa this weekend , because of what happened , Ottawa have to be sure that everything is going to be safe in the city , what do you guys think ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:I think this game should be cancelled in Ottawa this weekend , because of what happened , Ottawa have to be sure that everything is going to be safe in the city , what do you guys think ?
no way. don't let the bad guys win. show them life in Canada goes on no matter what they do. give them the symbolic finger.

btw, what do you mean by ALSO???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:I think this game should be cancelled in Ottawa this weekend , because of what happened , Ottawa have to be sure that everything is going to be safe in the city , what do you guys think ?
no way. don't let the bad guys win. show them life in Canada goes on no matter what they do. give them the symbolic finger.

btw, what do you mean by ALSO???
I think he's referring to the fact that the NHL Senators have postponed their home game that was scheduled for this evening:
The game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Ottawa Senators on Wednesday was postponed by the NHL after a series of shootings in and around Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa.
The game, scheduled at Canadian Tire Center in nearby Kanata, Ontario, will be played at a later date.
Postponing a football game is a bigger logistical challenge than for other sports and I'm not sure it will be undertaken. Also by kickoff time it will have been a full 48hrs-plus after the events of this tragedy so I think that makes a difference from had it been scheduled for this evening. The Senators have another home game this Saturday for which no postponement has been announced, and I suspect this would also be the case had it been scheduled for Friday. There will be no doubt be a moment of silence at their next home game — whether it's indeed on Friday as scheduled or whenever — and perhaps even at the next home game of every team in the CFL, certainly all of this weekend's games, I would think.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We can't go through life living in fear.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sorry for the non football comment, but I thought it might help...

Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, but please remember that inside of our minds (which is our TRUE reality) we are always free if we choose to be.

Before you make any decisions, which become your BELIEFS (and our Beliefs define us), just take a little time to collect some FACTS about what occurred in OTT and by whom. All national forms of media today are CONTROLLED by either governments or a small number of powerful Corporations whose #1 law (and thus belief) is PROFIT AT ALL COSTS!

All life, whether human or not, comes down to a single choice in any moment...Love or Fear...I have written a book on this subject as it is so important and yet so few people seem to understand this. Like two magnets placed together, Fear cannot exist where Love is present...Fear is repelled by Love; however, the reverse is true as well.

No matter what you see on the news, or hear from a friend...Life is ALWAYS a simple choice in every moment!

Lots of Love to all my fellow Lionbackers...

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sorry for the non football comment, but I thought it might help...

Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, but please remember that inside of our minds (which is our TRUE reality) we are always free if we choose to be.

Before you make any decisions, which become your BELIEFS (and our Beliefs define us), just take a little time to collect some FACTS about what occurred in OTT and by whom. All national forms of media today are CONTROLLED by either governments or a small number of powerful Corporations whose #1 law (and thus belief) is PROFIT AT ALL COSTS!

All life, whether human or not, comes down to a single choice in any moment...Love or Fear...I have written a book on this subject as it is so important and yet so few people seem to understand this. Like two magnets placed together, Fear cannot exist where Love is present...Fear is repelled by Love; however, the reverse is true as well.

No matter what you see on the news, or hear from a friend...Life is ALWAYS a simple choice in every moment!

Lots of Love to all my fellow Lionbackers...

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Based on some of the news reports I saw, the Toronto Maple Leafs were actually holed up in their hotel. IOW, they were in the 'lockdown area'. Not trying to make any light of anything but certainly couldn't expect the Leafs to play in that circumstance ANYWAYS (and the fact they were impacted is miniscule).......

IMO, its upto the people of Ottawa if they want a football game played this week or not. Not my city, I'll respect their choice regardless.....

There has been a little confusion for me personally here today. Just in the fact that so many of the scenes ARE STILL fresh in my mind from the trip I took on Operation Orange. The morning of the Redblack/Lions game (before the pre-game meal) I took a tour of Parliament Hill. As a political junkie this was just as cool as seeing the Lions play in Ottawa.

IMO, the security was top notch. I remember seeing friendly police greeters near the enterance (a long way away from CentreBLock-that houses the Commons/Senate). We were well screened in our entry to the building and went first to the peace tower. Then took an extended tour of the facilities including a sneak peek at both houses.

The confusion I mention is just a connection you make when you've been to a place suddenly in the news.

"I WAS JUST THERE". "I remember that hallway." "I remember that staircase". "I remember that street" It really is a beautiful building and I hope all of us will be able to ALWAYS be given free/clear access (SAFE ACCESS) as it truly is a sign of democracy, IMO. I only spent a short time in Ottawa but I enjoyed that time and there is my thoughts are with all the innocent people traumatized by the deplorable actions of an individual (at this point anyways)....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thank you for the comments, MLF. Well said.

In regards to carrying on almost as usual, I am in favour. Take all precautions, and then do your best to go about your business. Do not let violence by extremists curtail your life.

The world is going a bit crazy right now. IMO there is no justification for the taking of random, non-threatening lives. Different religion should not mean enemy. Being non-religious should not make someone an enemy. No religion is superior to another. Religion should not be used virtually like a cult, brainwashing the young or vulnerable. And there is no excuse for the barbaric killing of innocents. There is no excuse for the enslavement, or sexual subjugation of people. Sad how well-meaning youth, especially those under age 19 or so, can be filled with enough hatred to carry out horrific acts. Older converts to extremism seem to have their own issues leading them astray into violence.

It seems to me that the leaders of ISIS are not operating from a sincere religious belief. Rather they are operating from blood lust and power lust, using a bogus, deceptive religious justification for their acts of extreme hatred. They offer bogus freedoms. Freedom to die. Freedom from any respect for human life, even their own. Sexual freedom of rape and enforced prostitution. Freedom from the difficulty of living in a civilized society. Freedom from any moral code, except intolerance. Freedom from the need to think for oneself. Freedom from the bonds of family. Freedom from the expectations of civilized society. Freedom from the need to work for a living. Freedom to express rage and anger and hatred. Freedom from worries. Just live like a robot, in a cult.

Seems like we are back in the Middle Ages of darkness, religious intolerance and violence, with modern twists.

Solving these particular problems that we see today will take a long time. Generations. There are many issues involved.

Peace and goodwill? ... Seems like a far, distant cry.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dupsdell1
Champion

Excellent response everyone , I am feeling the same as I did when 9-11 hit , as a buddy of mine died in the towers, the same with Boston marathon , but when it hits your own country this hits even harder, I do not want to see the redblacks cancel , but we also want to see the people of Ottawa safe, and across this country, so I say yes do not let anything stop us we are the best country to live in the world, I work in the united states, I even have property in the usa , but I love and will be Canadian forever and the same with my family ,

GO REDBLACKS .
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No reason not to play the game.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

I don't think there is any reason to cancel the football game this weekend; on the contrary, giving the people of Ottawa a chance to get together as a large group, cheer the national anthem, applaud police, the military, the PM, etc, is a something that is beneficial. I hope the Redblacks make of point of asking for a larger than typical military presence at the game: honour guard for the national anthem, flyby, etc. The Sargent of Arms should perform the coin toss.

The reason the hockey game was postponed was the police did not know the extent of the situation and wanted to keep people out of the downtown core. Pretty simple.

As upsetting as yesterday's events were, it appears they were the actions of a jihad-wannabe; they were not part of some coordinated attack, and so the risk to the public in future is small. Was this shooting part of a disturbing trend? Yep. But this was impulsive and opportunistic, not methodically-planned terror.

I think why this shooting is so disturbing is because of the symbols involved. An unarmed soldier standing guard over the war memorial, shots ringing out in Parliament. Obviously there are concrete things that need to be done to combat the issue of terrorism, but a symbolic response is also important. That's why it is so important that the Commons sat today, and the Legislature at Queen's Park refused to close yesterday. And moving down the line, the symbolism of defiantly getting back to normal, and kicking off in Ottawa, is also important.

Cheers,

James
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Postponing the Sens game made sense given at the time the decision was made it was a very fluid situation with the game only a few hours away and much of the downtown area being in lockdown. The REDBLACKS game was still 48 hours away with what now appears to be a stable situation with the city for the most part being back to business as usual. From a purely logistical standpoint it's easy for the NHL to postpone their game as they have the next 6 months to fit in the rescheduled game. For the CFL postponing the game now is an extremely undesirable option. This game has huge playoff implications in the East. Postponing it any farther out than 72 hours could have ramnifications on any or all of the 3 East teams vying for what likely will be only 2 playoff spots. Push it to say Monday and even though Montreal would still have 5 days off between that game and the next it would set up advantage Hamilton the following weekend as instead of getting Ottawa with 6 days off between games they'd get a REDBLACKS squad with only 3 days off in between.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As horrible as the events of yesterday were, they at least served to give everyone a metaphorical kick in the pants. It has been far too easy in this country to forget how important our democracy and freedom is. By attacking the targets he did, this nut job has done exactly the opposite of what he was hoping for. After the shock and sadness, he has pissed us off and has brought Canadians together in a way that we haven't seen in a long, long time. Today we aren't Vancouverites or Torontonians or from any particular region. We are Canadians first and foremost and the events of yesterday will not send us scurrying to hide. Today and the days that follow are for all of us to demonstrate who we really are. We have always been a country that eschews violence and war but we have also proven time and time again that if someone wants to give us a bloody nose, we are prepared to respond in kind. We're not a bully but we won't be bullied either and that is how we should behave.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
dupsdell1
Champion

just heard the cfl is going with the game , apparently there is going to be a big presence of military same with the hockey game , and a very special memorial tribute.

CANADA WE ARE ALL STRONG

thanks for all your comments
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I have feared the day this stuff would happen as our PM declared war on islam just like the PM of Australia, UK and the US military followed by President Obama.

The PM has got exactly what he wanted.

Mr. Harper who was fearing a potential loss in the next election has just guaranteed himself a win.

He will campaign on the Bush narrative that only HE can prevent and stand up to terrorists. He will take Justin Trudeau's measured comments and twist them as weakness.

He has announced today in the House that he is going to tighten our laws just like the USA did post 911 both guaranteeing that terrorists win and that he gets to stay in office.

There is no national security interest in the Middle East but the PM has wanted to do since Bush took on Iraq. Canadians will act like sheep and vote this guy back in for sure now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy