Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Some people just don't think of dressing in team colours. They don't see anything inappropriate about wearing a football jersey to a football game, even if it's a jersey from another league. That doesn't bother me at all. On the other hand, a friend has shown up twice this year in a blue t-shirt to attend B.C.-Winnipeg games with me, using my season's tickets. Both times he changed into something more appropriate, but not until he was reminded several times of his inappropriate choice of colours. He's a nice guy but he just doesn't think about what to wear to a football game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Why does people wear a NFL jersey to a CFL game ?
Maybe because they're going to a football game and that's the only football jersey they have?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:There is a lot of non-sanctioned CFL garb worn to CFL games too.

For example, Section 17 used to have a T-shirt of some kind, IIRC that ticket holders to that section wore.

I watched the Ottawa Redblacks documentary on the rivalry between the NorthSide/Southside fans. Most fans I saw at TD Place in Ottawa were wearing black Redblack jersies but some fans apparently get as much out of the fandom rivalry they wear Northsiders shirts, Or Southside SUCKS shirts (and viceversa). Did see some other football shirts, hats, jersies too!

One thing I really like about team jersies being worn at games is when juniour or highschool players wear their jersies to the game. Its neat seeing these younger players and probable long term future fans, feeling proud enough of their team to wear it to a CFL game.

I've only been to one Whitecaps game. I wonder if fans of big soccer teams in Europe get their jersies worn at Whitecaps games? Probably, I'm betting.
B.C.FAN wrote:Some people just don't think of dressing in team colours. They don't see anything inappropriate about wearing a football jersey to a football game, even if it's a jersey from another league. That doesn't bother me at all. On the other hand, a friend has shown up twice this year in a blue t-shirt to attend B.C.-Winnipeg games with me, using my season's tickets. Both times he changed into something more appropriate, but not until he was reminded several times of his inappropriate choice of colours. He's a nice guy but he just doesn't think about what to wear to a football game.
Hambone wrote:
Maybe because they're going to a football game and that's the only football jersey they have?
:thup: :thup: :thup: Yup on all three posts. Not everyone gets as into the football culture and more specifically the BC Lions culture when they take in a game. There are degrees of fandom, which is fine. Some people get deep into it. Others are just there for a few hours of entertainment to take their minds off their daily travails — they don't approach BCP any differently than they would, say, going out to a movie. Of all people who would go out to the cinema for the latest Die Hard sequel, how many would be dressed like John McClane?

There are a group of guys who sit in the front row near Geroy's Corner (as it was once called, I think they call it Harris's Corner now? He seems to have inherited the role of personally dropping over just before the game starts to pump up that section). They bring the drums and the armour-like outfits and the helmets and the face paint; almost like a Lions version of the Oakland Raiders' Black Hole. But out of the 25k+ we're averaging this year I'd say they're in a very small group of so-called hardcore fans. To extend the movie analogy, they'd be part of the Rocky Horror Picture Show subculture. What they do is pretty cool, but at the same time, this shouldn't invalidate the fandom of those who don't adopt such an image but nevertheless still spend their hard-earned money supporting the team and buying tickets.

As I said, there are degrees of fandom — and I see no need to get into value judgements of what constitutes an acceptable level of CFL/BC Lions fandom. Especially when we never fill the building, even in a reduced capacity configuration. AFAIC it serves little purpose but to alienate those who don't measure up to these arbitrary standards, which in the long run does nothing to build attendance. As fans ourselves who want to see the game thrive, I believe our outlook should be more inclusive.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
I'm with you. I've read sj-roc's argument and notahomer. I get it, but...

I've gone to a lot of UW Husky games at Husky Stadium over the years. You very, very rarely see Seahawks gear worn there and you can bet there are Seahawks fans aplenty in the crowd who very likely own Seahawk gear/jerseys. But they know the protocol. You wear Huskies gear to Husky games and Seahawks stuff to Seahawk games. It's the way it works.
We don't have to do everything the American way, as it were. Where does one draw the line? Do we go to four downs and 11 men? That's "the way it works" down there.
Yeah, I hardly think I was trying to suggest that. Look, I love ya brother, but, please.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:We don't have to do everything the American way, as it were. Where does one draw the line? Do we go to four downs and 11 men? That's "the way it works" down there.
Yeah, I hardly think I was trying to suggest that. Look, I love ya brother, but, please.
I know... I was simply pointing out what I saw as a flaw in your argument.

*shrug* It's their alpha sport. They get 60k+ down there, game in, game out. We have a smaller building that we're only barely half-filling. I'm not even sure if Canuck games (if you want to compare alpha sports) are as overwhelming in terms of everyone wearing team jerseys and the like.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:We don't have to do everything the American way, as it were. Where does one draw the line? Do we go to four downs and 11 men? That's "the way it works" down there.
I know... I was simply pointing out what I saw as a flaw in your argument.

*shrug* It's their alpha sport. They get 60k+ down there, game in, game out. We have a smaller building that we're only barely half-filling. I'm not even sure if Canuck games (if you want to compare alpha sports) are as overwhelming in terms of everyone wearing team jerseys and the like.
My arguments are flawless!

But, seriously, I'm grateful for those guys. Sidebar entertainment: "Spot the Douchebag". :yahoo:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:But, seriously, I'm grateful for those guys. Sidebar entertainment: "Spot the Douchebag". :yahoo:
If you were at the Argo game Friday you would have barely had any time to actually watch the game if you got into that diversion.

I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.

Other non-Lion team logos I noticed worn by others on Friday night:

Edmonton Eskimos
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Seattle Seahawks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Baltimore Ravens
University of Arizona Wildcats
Toronto Blue Jays (but no Argos that I can recall)

I'm sure there were plenty others but this is all I recall off the top of my head, three days after the fact. And this was just around the area where I sit, not like I wandered through the whole building.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me; that enough people are buying tickets to keep the team thriving off-field is of more concern to me.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:But, seriously, I'm grateful for those guys. Sidebar entertainment: "Spot the Douchebag". :yahoo:
If you were at the Argo game Friday you would have barely had any time to actually watch the game if you got into that diversion.

I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.

Edmonton Eskimos
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Seattle Seahawks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Baltimore Ravens

I'm sure there were plenty others but this is all I recall off the top of my head, three days after the fact. And this was just around the area where I sit, not like I wandered through the whole building.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me; that enough people are buying tickets to keep the team thriving off-field is of more concern to me.
what..no canucks??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.

Edmonton Eskimos
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Seattle Seahawks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Baltimore Ravens

what..no canucks??
Hmmm, I honestly don't recall. There probably were; I just listed the ones that immediately came to mind a few days later. I have to admit the discussion on here last week prompted me to pay more attention to this at the last game than I normally do, especially when I noticed the Braves/Knicks guy on transit en route to the game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.

Edmonton Eskimos
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Seattle Seahawks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Baltimore Ravens

what..no canucks??
Hmmm, I honestly don't recall. There probably were; I just listed the ones that immediately came to mind a few days later. I have to admit the discussion on here last week prompted me to pay more attention to this at the last game than I normally do, especially when I noticed the Braves/Knicks guy on transit en route to the game.
This reminds me of a thread I created seven years ago about sports team apparel. Is wearing sports team apparel more of a fan or fashion statement?
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=12699

The question I posed was:
Do you think it is hypocritical if someone supports the home team but at the same time wears apparel not of the opponent's TEAM but rather, their CITY?

For example:

In a football game BC Place, someone wearing a Lions jersey but wearing a baseball cap of the Flames, Oilers, Canadiens, or Maple Leafs when BC is taking on the Stampeders, Eskimos, Alouettes, or Argos respectively.

In a hockey game Rogers Arena, someone wearing a Canucks jersey but wearing the baseball cap or jacket of the Yankees, Bulls, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Angels, Rockies, or Marlins on game day when Vancouver is taking on the Rangers, Blackhawks, Kings, Coyotes, Ducks, Avalanche, or Panthers respectively.
So at the last game, those who were wearing Toronto Blue Jays apparel - were they rooting for the Argonauts? Were those wearing Montreal Canadiens fans also Alouettes fans?
As for the other cities apparel, at least they are not direct opponents for the Lions, although they are for the Canucks and Whitecaps.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

My view is if they're wearing stuff for the team that they're watching in person then overwhelmingly chances are they support that team. If they've got something from any other team then they're doing it for their own reasons. Reasons they don't have to defend to anybody.

That Braves/Knicks guy I mentioned: for all I know he probably puts on that Braves hat and takes that Knicks bag with him every time he steps out the door (which is nobody's business but his own), and on this night, well, he just happened to go to the Lions game.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Hi Just a pet peeve of mine when opposing fans cheer for the Lions opposition but not wearing any team colors. I got to yelling at a guy who was cheering for Toronto after a score or two or three. I told him if you are going to cheer get some bblue on. He didnt like my take on team cheering and said the usual lame comebacks. Thnx BB ps what the heck was Pinball thinking tossing his GC ring into the crowd
Last edited by Ballistic Bob on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wear orange or wear nothing
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Hi Just a pet peeve of mine when opposing fans cheer for the Lions opposition but not wearing any team colors. I got to yelling at a guy who was cheering for Toronto after a score or two or three. I told him if you are going to cheer get some bblue on. He didnt like my take on team cheering and said the usual lame comebacks. Thnx BB
I think you were in the wrong
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Hi Just a pet peeve of mine when opposing fans cheer for the Lions opposition but not wearing any team colors. I got to yelling at a guy who was cheering for Toronto after a score or two or three. I told him if you are going to cheer get some bblue on. He didnt like my take on team cheering and said the usual lame comebacks. Thnx BB
Sorry Bob, I have to side with KIA on this one. There are probably plenty of Lions supporters in the building who don't wear orange; it doesn't mean they can't cheer for the Lions. Like I've said before, fans can be fans any way they want to be; no one gets to choose that for anyone else.

Speaking of wearing orange, did anyone notice in the Ssk/Ott game on Sunday, they showed this fan decked head to toe in orange? Not sure if it was Lions gear, but didn't look like it. He was on at least twice. First time was fairly close up, he was among, I dunno, four or five fans in a fairly tight shot. Then he was on again later, in a much wider shot showing at least 100 fans but you couldn't miss him surrounded by all the green-clad Rider faithful. An odd sight at Taylor Field with the Lions not visiting.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Sorry Bob, I have to side with KIA on this one. There are probably plenty of Lions supporters in the building who don't wear orange; it doesn't mean they can't cheer for the Lions. Like I've said before, fans can be fans any way they want to be; no one gets to choose that for anyone else.

Speaking of wearing orange, did anyone notice in the Ssk/Ott game on Sunday, they showed this fan decked head to toe in orange? Not sure if it was Lions gear, but didn't look like it. He was on at least twice. First time was fairly close up, he was among, I dunno, four or five fans in a fairly tight shot. Then he was on again later, in a much wider shot showing at least 100 fans but you couldn't miss him surrounded by all the green-clad Rider faithful. An odd sight at Taylor Field with the Lions not visiting.
hi Scott if you are in the Lions building you are probably a Lion fan. So no need to wear Lion gearif you want to cheer but I have greater respect for fans who wear the opposition colors. Not the ones laying in the weeds. Thnx Bb
Wear orange or wear nothing