Argonauts 40 - Lions 23 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know I'm going to sound STUPID for complaining about a call that went our way but I did NOT GET the PI call that Benevides was able to successfully challenge.

At home, on TV, maybe it seemed more cut/dry. However, if it was just based on how things HAVE BEEN called, I admit I was surprised that call was overturned and PI called. Based on what I have seen the PI review seems to impact the OBVIOUS missed calls. Some may argue that call yesterday fit into that category. It DID NOT, IMO. As a Lions fan, sure, glad they got the flag. Had it initially been flagged, wouldn't have batted an eye. However, based on how things have been called and the threshold it seems to have taken to get that call, I was surprised it worked......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard on Global News tonight that Pinball Clemons was at the game talking to fans and showing them his Grey Cup ring when a lady walked off with it. Hope Pinball gets it back.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I know I'm going to sound STUPID for complaining about a call that went our way but I did NOT GET the PI call that Benevides was able to successfully challenge.

At home, on TV, maybe it seemed more cut/dry. However, if it was just based on how things HAVE BEEN called, I admit I was surprised that call was overturned and PI called. Based on what I have seen the PI review seems to impact the OBVIOUS missed calls. Some may argue that call yesterday fit into that category. It DID NOT, IMO. As a Lions fan, sure, glad they got the flag. Had it initially been flagged, wouldn't have batted an eye. However, based on how things have been called and the threshold it seems to have taken to get that call, I was surprised it worked......
Only difference that I could tell you was that the defender tugged on Arceneaux's jersey which in turn brought the defender back into the play, without the tug, that becomes a catch. But if it wasn't overturned, basing it on past calls, I wouldn't have been upset. Well the other thing that may have favoured the Lions in this case was the stream of flags they were getting by the officiating crew.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

notahomer wrote:I know I'm going to sound STUPID for complaining about a call that went our way but I did NOT GET the PI call that Benevides was able to successfully challenge.

While I was somewhat surprised that it got overturned , it's not because of it not being actual PI . Rather that I'm just not used to getting such calls go our way , sometimes even though it's a head scratcher as to what the reviewers are seeing . The replay showed clear PI so it was refreshing to have them actually get the call right .
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Big Time wrote: On defense, Khalif Mitchell is a waste of a uniform. He seems more interested in cheerleading than playing.
Excellent example of the player taking on the persona of the Head Coach. Mitchell's been doing it since game 1 ..........
This IMO is the biggest problem on defense. I was one of those sad to see him go , but now that he's back he hasn't done a thing . Takes only one O-line to block him the vast majority of the time and still almost never gets through . While Khreem Smith doesn't get to much love here , I think he's our best DL . It's been a long time since we've had any pressure from the middle , but when we do it comes from Taylor . Every other team seems to get pressure up the middle ,why can't we ? I think it's time to start shopping for some new DT's among the NFL cuts. Our DE's would look a whole lot better if we also had pressure coming from the middle .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Let's hear from Mike Benevides who 'never promised fans a rose garden' with the coaching changes.

In FACT the HC on June1, 2014 informed the media and fan base that it won't look as good to start as it will on day 180. So that means they will peak somewhere near November 30 - the day of the Grey Cup game. Is that mean we're in or we're out??? Is this the view of the GM and non-interfering owner? I know they don't typically fire top folks.
While Benevides had a say in firing the coaches he let go last season, he also is quick to state the lieutenants he has brought in are the ones which best fit the Lions now.

"We're not going to be as good on day one as day 180, but to be honest, I'm excited," Benevides says. "These guys have a chip on their shoulders. There's no doubt the chemistry of the staff will have to work diligently to bring what I want the culture to be."
http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news ... 0b5fa0cce0

I doubt Wally will fire his HC but that doesn't mean they won't dump assistants as it is easier to change them to change a HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I don't like the PI review, but it was a really bad miss on the official's part. The receiver was grabbed not once, but twice on the play, the first time under his shoulder pad before coming out of his break, and the second time so badly his jersey darn near came untucked.

Now, would it have been catchable without the PI? You can debate that, I suppose. But it was missed, and righted on replay (for a change).
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Good comments everyone...

With what Joe said, the coaching problem here is on Wally...as the GM he has to make decisions about EVERYONE including himself as HC...Wally was stale as HC back to 2008...but he let Hufnagel walk and he has been a fixture in CGY ever since, with the most success in the CFL and OUTSTANDING ASST COACHES who have or will become good Head Coaches.

Wally missed on Milanovich in MTL, Jones from CGY/TOR, and Mike O'Shea WPG. These 4 coaches are miles ahead of MB and MB has shown nothing to think that he will ever get there, and Jones and O'Shea are rookies. His selfishness to keep himself on as HC cost us, and his nepotism to hire MB is killing us. We have top shelf talent in this league and yet we are a mediocre football club.

SP, you are right about McCallum's kicking accuracy, but what Pauser, myself and others are saying about Paul is that we GIVE UP A LOT because of him...an Import as punter because he can't...an import that Kicks off because he can't...an offensive strategy that passes the ball on 2nd and 18 from the opposition's 41 yard line, instead of a draw, or a WR screen that will get us a few more yards and a sure FG, because he can't make them from that distance. Lui may not have been the most accurate kicker in history (although he was very accurate), but Lui could always give you that 54 harder when you needed it, and sometimes you need it.

Cro, as always you make great points as you have such a good football mind. My point about Wash is this...while TOR was content to play conservative in the 2nd half and punt the football, Washington's style of passive play, doesn't aggressively generate turnovers...we needed the ball back right away, and he was allowing TOR (and every other team) the space needed to protect the ball and run down the clock. Again, with a good offence, Washington's system would be fine during the regular season, as it limits points...But I promise you this, if the Lion's make the playoffs, his D will get exposed by whatever team we face...

Toppy, MB took full responsibility for getting rid of both Chaps and Stubler, 2 of the most talented coordinators in the league. Washington's stats are near the top in the league, but he does it without consistent pressure and top notch talent and depth, the only D in the league to take this approach...and Jones O has been LOST since day 1 and its NOT getting better...with 4 of 6 games on the road to close out the season, if the Lions collapse with the TALENT that is on this team, and do not make the playoffs, MB should be fired.

As for the Khalif Mitchell hate, Khalif played his best game as a Lion 2 games ago against WPG...he and Taylor have shut down the inside run against us (often with no LBs behind them) and are giving the interior 3 OL fits so that Bazzie and Smith are CONSTANTLY FREE one on one...Smith is a good, consistent DE, but he should be having more games like TOR because of his enviable advantage...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:
David wrote:I'm with you brother. If I owned the team, I'd keep Neil McEvoy, Kelly Bates, Johnny Holland, (Mark Washington - although I am not sold on him a D-coordinator at this point but recognize that he's new), retain Wally in a consultant's role, and pay to make the rest go away.
I hear you, but that is a lot of positions to fill, so you better put some available names in the key positions at least.
Not really. McEvoy would be the GM in charge of hiring a Head Coach. And Wally is very close to retiring to Parksville anyway sj-roc. He's a Lion lifer so I don't think he'd have a problem advising McEvoy on organizational and personnel decisions. Coaches usually bring their own staffs with them, but I would find room for Bates, Holland, and Washington in the new staff.

I just think the organization has become stale from top to bottom. There's some great talent on this club; it's not like I am advocating a clean sweep. It's just that I am tired of watching our quarterbacks scrape themselves up off the turf and wince in pain, game-after-game through either bad play selection or execution - for which the coaches and management (for fostering this) bear responsibility. This is not normal.

DH :cool:
Totally agree. In some ways that unexpected run to the cup prevented what likely was going to happen. Had the Lions stumbled to the finish it would have been a really hard sell promoting Benevides to head coach. Fresh blood would have been needed at the time. Instead the cup win bought more years for Wally's longtime assistants and the club has regressed every year since. Chapdelaine and Stubler were the the first scapegoats and surprise the slide still continues.

The club really missed out on Dickenson a few years ago. He isn't going anywhere now and will take over from Hufangel sooner than later. But very popular player in BC with one of the game's bright offensive minds.

Have to go back to the Adam Rita/Damon Allen era to find a stretch of home games that have been unentertaining and dull as what's been served up this year.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:While I was somewhat surprised that it got overturned , it's not because of it not being actual PI . Rather that I'm just not used to getting such calls go our way , sometimes even though it's a head scratcher as to what the reviewers are seeing . The replay showed clear PI so it was refreshing to have them actually get the call right .
Thats what I was trying to say too. It looked like PI live (before I saw ANY replay) and it didn't draw a flag. That initial ruling to NOT throw a flag I disagreed with BUT based on the replay, I thought I've seen NUMEROUS PI challenges with a similar level of 'action' again be ruled as not enough evidence to overturn, this won't be overturned either.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One other thing that annoyed me was Logan's punt return from the end zone to the 2 yard line. It was a brain fart play like that that got him fired in the NFL. When he was asked about it in a post game interview he said it was late in the game or they were down or something like that and "I just wanted to get something happening".

IMO the above is a coaching screw up as he should have had very specific instructions to give up a single if possible. :bang:

This team is not always clear on the details and take to many lack of discipline penalties and that is on the HC.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:One other thing that annoyed me was Logan's punt return from the end zone to the 2 yard line. It was a brain fart play like that that got him fired in the NFL. When he was asked about it in a post game interview he said it was late in the game or they were down or something like that and "I just wanted to get something happening".

IMO the above is a coaching screw up as he should have had very specific instructions to give up a single if possible. :bang:

This team is not always clear on the details and take to many lack of discipline penalties and that is on the HC.
I said the same thing Friday night in the stadium. It IMMEDIATELY reminded me of Logan's NFL play (probably because it just didn't look like it made sense). And, I feel that is a lot on the coaches too.....
leo4life
All Star

Mexico do you think Benny is telling Jones/Washington what kind of scheme/plays to run? Washington talked non stop about "attacking and getting after some people" would tie in with Benny's ultra conservative game day "coaching" Also no trick plays ever run...i remember Benny saying " Theres no trickery in football" LOL
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:One other thing that annoyed me was Logan's punt return from the end zone to the 2 yard line. It was a brain fart play like that that got him fired in the NFL. When he was asked about it in a post game interview he said it was late in the game or they were down or something like that and "I just wanted to get something happening".

When the messages from the top are mixed and the players tune out the pomposity of the HC's rants, you get this.

The HC needs to sound more focused and not a Kavis Reed sound a like - ranting and spouting off.

Note how Edmonton's GM has kind of shut his trap and not is blabbing so much like he did when they were losing - now his character is if he were losing he'd be doing the rants - but it does not help. These guy are pros and they don't like that.

There are certain times and situation with a great returner the HC might give the guy some leeway late in a game to get out - but this didn't seem to be such a case.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Mexico do you think Benny is telling Jones/Washington what kind of scheme/plays to run? Washington talked non stop about "attacking and getting after some people" would tie in with Benny's ultra conservative game day "coaching" Also no trick plays ever run...i remember Benny saying " Theres no trickery in football" LOL
I think the answer is rather obvious.