Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No argument there
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No argument there
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No argument there
Rammer
Team Captain

swervynmerv wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Kicking the field goal makes it a 2 score game
True enough, but playing a conservative offence won't do it versus Edmonton, Riders or Calgary in the playoffs. I miss the Lions of 2004-7 that were aggressive and ran up the score in exciting games!
I don't think that I jumped out of my seat once tonight, I sure recall jumping out of my seat many times in the past.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Kicking the field goal makes it a 2 score game
True enough, but playing a conservative offence won't do it versus Edmonton, Riders or Calgary in the playoffs. I miss the Lions of 2004-7 that were aggressive and ran up the score in exciting games!

I don't think that I jumped out of my seat once tonight, I sure recall jumping out of my seat many times in the past.

I watched the entire Stamps - Argos game and that was a good game.

To see the Lions strutting and compare that to how the Stamps turned it on in the second half - well they had something to actually strut about.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:On a side note, why do Rider fans insist on wearing Rider jerseys at games when their team isn't even playing?!
Probably the characters I saw. Four teenagers with signs rubbing it in that they had FREE tickets due to their BELOVED Riders beating the kittykats (their signs).

Any fan wearing a CFL teams jersey is fine with me, they are usually, when there are no guaranteed tickets being redeemed :cool: , putting money in the Lions coffers. Thats the line I'm going to use next year, "Thanks guys for finacially supporting my football team by buying a ticket to the Lions stadium"
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:On a side note, why do Rider fans insist on wearing Rider jerseys at games when their team isn't even playing?!
Probably the characters I saw. Four teenagers with signs rubbing it in that they had FREE tickets due to their BELOVED Riders beating the kittykats (their signs).

Any fan wearing a CFL teams jersey is fine with me, they are usually, when there are no guaranteed tickets being redeemed :cool: , putting money in the Lions coffers. Thats the line I'm going to use next year, "Thanks guys for finacially supporting my football team by buying a ticket to the Lions stadium"
I think that you answered your question within your post. You do it because it rubs the opposition just a little, especially when you can gloat about a win, a gauranteed win at that.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why does people wear a NFL jersey to a CFL game ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Why does people wear a NFL jersey to a CFL game ?
Who cares? There seems to be a presumption in your question that there's some unwritten code you have to follow to be a Lions fan, which raises the further question of: Who gets to be a Lions fan?

The correct answer is: anyone who wants to be. And they can be a Lions fan any way they want to be. No one gets to decide how others express their fandom (and not to worry, they don't get to decide how anyone expresses theirs, either — although I doubt they even spend much time thinking about it).

I thought we were past this "secret society" mentality on here. Do the Lions really care what fans choose to wear as long as they're buying tickets? No. So why should we? I know, I know, they talk up wearing orange to the games (while every so often turning around with a new BLACK jersey to sell us), but it's not like they have the luxury of turning fans away, as our attendance continues to sink.

If they're in the building, buying tickets, supporting the team with their wallets, and thereby helping ensure the financial health and the future viability of the team we all love, isn't that better than staying home parked in front of their hi-def? So what's the problem?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Who cares? There seems to be a presumption in your question that there's some unwritten code you have to follow to be a Lions fan, which raises the further question of: Who gets to be a Lions fan?

The correct answer is: anyone who wants to be. And they can be a Lions fan any way they want to be. No one gets to decide how others express their fandom (and not to worry, they don't get to decide how anyone expresses theirs, either — although I doubt they even spend much time thinking about it).

I thought we were past this "secret society" mentality on here. Do the Lions really care what fans choose to wear as long as they're buying tickets? No. So why should we? I know, I know, they talk up wearing orange to the games (while every so often turning around with a new BLACK jersey to sell us), but it's not like they have the luxury of turning fans away, as our attendance continues to sink.

If they're in the building, buying tickets, supporting the team with their wallets, and thereby helping ensure the financial health and the future viability of the team we all love, isn't that better than staying home parked in front of their hi-def? So what's the problem?
X2------There was a very happy Miami Dolphins fan wearing a #91 Wake jersey at the Bomber game. I try to be nice and respectful to fans of our opponents every game too.

When I was in Ottawa, some Redblacks fans chided us for wearing our Denver Broncos jersies....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I really care less what fans wear to the game as long as they pay for their tickets. They can come naked for all I care.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:..... they talk up wearing orange to the games (while every so often turning around with a new BLACK jersey to sell us),.......
I made the mistake of calling our third jersey BLACK and Buono chided me saying "ITS GUN METAL GREY, NOT BLACK" but its funny now because I've seen signs at the Lions merchandise booth saying BLACK IS THE NEW ORANGE. IMO, it is probably in part a play on that prison drama by a similar name too but its funny nonetheless.

I wear what I want to the games. I used to faithfully wear orange but I'm often coming from work etc... I've got enough jersies now, I should probably just wear them........
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I'm with you. I've read sj-roc's argument and notahomer. I get it, but...

I've gone to a lot of UW Husky games at Husky Stadium over the years. You very, very rarely see Seahawks gear worn there and you can bet there are Seahawks fans aplenty in the crowd who very likely own Seahawk gear/jerseys. But they know the protocol. You wear Huskies gear to Husky games and Seahawks stuff to Seahawk games. It's the way it works.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
I'm with you. I've read sj-roc's argument and notahomer. I get it, but...

I've gone to a lot of UW Husky games at Husky Stadium over the years. You very, very rarely see Seahawks gear worn there and you can bet there are Seahawks fans aplenty in the crowd who very likely own Seahawk gear/jerseys. But they know the protocol. You wear Huskies gear to Husky games and Seahawks stuff to Seahawk games. It's the way it works.
We don't have to do everything the American way, as it were. Where does one draw the line? Do we go to four downs and 11 men? That's "the way it works" down there.

Jeremy Piven has an interesting counter-argument. :P

[video][/video]

To be honest, and to give a non-snarky answer to TLK's question, I'd say people wearing NFL gear @ CFL games probably don't compartmentalise the two leagues as separately and intensely as some people on here might. To them, it's all football and they don't give it any more thought than that — and this is perhaps as it should be, rather than the overthinking we're getting into here.

For anyone arguing against NFL garb (or for that matter any apparel that doesn't strike your fancy) @ CFL games, have you ever taken the trouble to approach individuals who follow this practice, and calmly explain to them, to their faces, the "error" of their ways, that this isn't "the way it works"? Tell us all about how that went.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There is a lot of non-sanctioned CFL garb worn to CFL games too.

For example, Section 17 used to have a T-shirt of some kind, IIRC that ticket holders to that section wore.

I watched the Ottawa Redblacks documentary on the rivalry between the NorthSide/Southside fans. Most fans I saw at TD Place in Ottawa were wearing black Redblack jersies but some fans apparently get as much out of the fandom rivalry they wear Northsiders shirts, Or Southside SUCKS shirts (and viceversa). Did see some other football shirts, hats, jersies too!

One thing I really like about team jersies being worn at games is when juniour or highschool players wear their jersies to the game. Its neat seeing these younger players and probable long term future fans, feeling proud enough of their team to wear it to a CFL game.

I've only been to one Whitecaps game. I wonder if fans of big soccer teams in Europe get their jersies worn at Whitecaps games? Probably, I'm betting.
Last edited by notahomer on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.