Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: or food service staff costs for the Lions unless they are forced to open extra sections....
http://fortune.com/2014/08/25/dog-abuse ... des-hague/

I missed this story and its connection with BC Place. I saw the 'dog kicking' story. FOund out later there was actually a PROTEST outside BC Place before the Rider/Lion game on August 24. Not sure Centreplate can rebound from this story without cutting him loose. I get it he's apologized etc.... but the optics are terrible, IMO. Especially with the 'don't be a bystander' program. IMO, he's got a lot of work to do to get this story to go away........
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote: or food service staff costs for the Lions unless they are forced to open extra sections....
http://fortune.com/2014/08/25/dog-abuse ... des-hague/

I missed this story and its connection with BC Place. I saw the 'dog kicking' story. FOund out later there was actually a PROTEST outside BC Place before the Rider/Lion game on August 24. Not sure Centreplate can rebound from this story without cutting him loose. I get it he's apologized etc.... but the optics are terrible, IMO. Especially with the 'don't be a bystander' program. IMO, he's got a lot of work to do to get this story to go away........
I wasn't really referencing the Centerplate CEO controversy with that post of mine you quoted above, though I did write on this matter in the marketing thread the night before the game and predicted there would be protesters — not that I went out on a limb or anything with that! According to your Fortune link it seems the protesters were at least attending the game and simply not patronising CP, rather than boycotting BCP and its tenants altogether, which I felt would be wrong-headed.

It looks like a complicated matter. DH will likely face charges. Would he sue CP for wrongful dismissal if they tried to jettison him? They might avoid this if/when he's convicted (I'm no lawyer but a conviction doesn't look implausible given the incriminating nature of the video) but this could take time and lots of it. Some have called for BCP to cancel its CP contract but I'm not sure this would be the right approach. Would BCP have to cough up some sort of termination fee (at taxpayer expense), whether it's worked into the contract or if they were sued for breach? There could be further collateral damage if CP has to lay off its employees assigned to fill this contract. These people depend on their jobs to get by like everyone else — do they deserve termination just because of the terrible actions of ONE person higher up the chain of command? Some of them probably even have their own pets and with no job wouldn't be able to provide for them — how's that for irony?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

From the email to ticket purchasers:
PLEASE NOTE THIS OFFER WILL BE AVAILABLE STARTING AT 10:00AM ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 29TH UNTIL 11:59PM ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th

so the Lions will have a good idea of the affect on attendance for all 4 remaining games by that deadline.
I am in the category of directly benefiting from GWN. This season I've been buying single game tickets one game at a time, because I need to find out whether my friend's work schedule allows him to go also. I, myself will be attending every game this season.
It sure took the sting out of the Lions frittering away a game they should have won.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:I wouldn't think there would be added security or food service staff costs for the Lions unless they are forced to open extra sections to accommodate the comps (has Skulsky made it clear that they actually will expand to do this if needed or will comps be subject to availability within the current capacity of 32k [27k lower bowl + 5k upper deck, Lions' bench side]?). With attendance trending down from 2013's average of 28,311 (only 27,186 if you exclude the Riders' visit) then it's not (yet) a given they will even need to open extra sections. The average through the first five games of 2014 is 26,468, down 4.4% from last year's figure of exactly 27,700, especially unfavourable considering the latter figure doesn't include a Riders' visit. The average over our last four games last year, including the 37k for the Riders' visit was 29,075. Notwithstanding the comps, and with no Rider visit to pad this year's average, this figure will probably also drop.

It will be interesting to see if one of the four remaining games has a much higher attendance than the rest; if so then this might be read as people overwhelmingly choosing this game to cash in their comps (I'm thinking the finale vs Cgy on Fri Nov 7 would be the one, with Wpg on Sat Sep 13 being the second most likely possibility) and might give some indication of the redemption rate, which I'm thinking is not going to approach 100%.
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to think that the language of the Lions lease contains some sort of formulas whereby Pavco is obligated to provide certain levels of security and food services based on projected attendance figures they'd be provided at regular intervals leading up to the game. The Lions might get blamed for lack of services but isn't it Pavco, not the Lions, who benefit directly from having those services staffed adequately to serve whatever number of fans are in attendance? Why would the Lions have to pony up more money outside of their rent to provide extra food services when it's Pavco who benefits from them? There's probably a ton of government regulations Pavco has to adhere to in operating the facility for events be they under Fire, Safety or Liquor Control legislation.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I wasn't really referencing the Centerplate CEO controversy with that post of mine you quoted above, though I did write on this matter in the marketing thread the night before the game and predicted there would be protesters — not that I went out on a limb or anything with that! According to your Fortune link it seems the protesters were at least attending the game and simply not patronising CP, rather than boycotting BCP and its tenants altogether, which I felt would be wrong-headed.

It looks like a complicated matter. DH will likely face charges. Would he sue CP for wrongful dismissal if they tried to jettison him? They might avoid this if/when he's convicted (I'm no lawyer but a conviction doesn't look implausible given the incriminating nature of the video) but this could take time and lots of it. Some have called for BCP to cancel its CP contract but I'm not sure this would be the right approach. Would BCP have to cough up some sort of termination fee (at taxpayer expense), whether it's worked into the contract or if they were sued for breach? There could be further collateral damage if CP has to lay off its employees assigned to fill this contract. These people depend on their jobs to get by like everyone else — do they deserve termination just because of the terrible actions of ONE person higher up the chain of command? Some of them probably even have their own pets and with no job wouldn't be able to provide for them — how's that for irony?
I know, sorry. I saw the story on the Global newsfeed bar and rather than open a new thread, tried to use your comment to connect the story. Less than two minutes later, I read your actual post on the story :bang: (and I think commented there too!). Certainly agree its a very complicated story and regardless of outcome, DH wishes he could have that elevator ride back.

I have made lots of mistakes in my life too and am reminded of an old quote. "Its what people do when no-one thinks anybody is watching that really shows their character" Hopefully this is not the case for DH, hope Sade (the dog) and him rebound from this.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I wasn't really referencing the Centerplate CEO controversy with that post of mine you quoted above, though I did write on this matter in the marketing thread the night before the game and predicted there would be protesters — not that I went out on a limb or anything with that! According to your Fortune link it seems the protesters were at least attending the game and simply not patronising CP, rather than boycotting BCP and its tenants altogether, which I felt would be wrong-headed.

I know, sorry. I saw the story on the Global newsfeed bar and rather than open a new thread, tried to use your comment to connect the story. Less than two minutes later, I read your actual post on the story :bang: (and I think commented there too!). Certainly agree its a very complicated story and regardless of outcome, DH wishes he could have that elevator ride back.

I have made lots of mistakes in my life too and am reminded of an old quote. "Its what people do when no-one thinks anybody is watching that really shows their character" Hopefully this is not the case for DH, hope Sade (the dog) and him rebound from this.......
Oh, no problem. I wasn't so much being critical as making an observation (of confusion, somewhat — and I've seen the other post of yours in the other thread).

But what I really wanted to say here was that it might not be quite as complicated as I supposed. When I wrote the above I hadn't read the entire Fortune article, only down to where they reference the Lions. Didn't realise it was such a long article :blush: Turns out from the rest of it that he's already agreed to indefinite probationary status and to be axed for any further misconduct. So he prob won't be as litigious toward a dismissal as I first thought, though there's still the issue of legal charges to answer to.

edit: In retrospect I'm kind of surprised this didn't create as big a distraction for the Lions as it could have. It was unfortunate timing for them to have this story break just days before a home game and I felt it had the potential to be worse than it turned out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Got my 3 freebies to the Calgary game. Had to call the Lions' office because the system was down (at least for me). Put on hold for over 3/4 hours because of the volumes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just ordered my free tickets online through Ticketmaster for the Winnipeg game on Sept. 13, using my offer code as a season ticket holder. It was quick and easy and there were no fees for ordering or delivery through regular mail.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:I just ordered my free tickets online through Ticketmaster for the Winnipeg game on Sept. 13, using my offer code as a season ticket holder. It was quick and easy and there were no fees for ordering or delivery through regular mail.
Same here although the cagey buggers did a pretty good job of restricting where the freebies were located. The only coaches sideline seats available in the lower bowl under the guarantee were 3 scattered singles on the far side of the field. I had to take care of my buddy's pair at the same time and wound up having to settle for 3 upper deck ducats on the 20. They're still decent seats being aisle seats 6 rows up in 443. We won't be the ones sitting in them so beggars can't be choosers.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I just ordered my free tickets online through Ticketmaster for the Winnipeg game on Sept. 13, using my offer code as a season ticket holder. It was quick and easy and there were no fees for ordering or delivery through regular mail.
Same here although the cagey buggers did a pretty good job of restricting where the freebies were located. The only coaches sideline seats available in the lower bowl under the guarantee were 3 scattered singles on the far side of the field. I had to take care of my buddy's pair at the same time and wound up having to settle for 3 upper deck ducats on the 20. They're still decent seats being aisle seats 6 rows up in 443. We won't be the ones sitting in them so beggars can't be choosers.
I think this was part of the gambit all along. One can quibble with the concept and outcome of GWN, but to the extent that there was going to be a GWN at some point in DS's tenure, I think they did plenty of homework on the best timing for it and how to manage a fail, with this being part of the analysis. FWIW he was on CTV's noon news with Perry Solkowski the day after breaking the GWN announcement and said it was something they had begun thinking about as a possibility as far back as two or three years ago.
dupsdell1
Champion

Yes ticket sales/giveaways look like they are going good for all the home games left ,
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Since guaranteed win night LU's column says:
No, if there’s going to be change offensively for the Lions it will need to come from Benevides and his coaching subordinates, who haven’t found a way to generate a touchdown in two games since president Dennis Skulsky issued his guaranteed-win proclamation.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... ederated=1

I think Skulsky should have focused on real marketing - not a punt on first down.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I ordered mine today and my girlfriend is going to be sitting five/six seats away. I'm in row C section 218, so she's thrilled to be sitting that close to the action...... I'm glad she's more than arm's length away because I'll be able to focus on the game. She likes asking all those questions that are probably covered in Football 101. Come to think of it, we've been together long enough, I should just spring for her ticket to go..... :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Got my 3 freebies to the Calgary game. Had to call the Lions' office because the system was down (at least for me). Put on hold for over 3/4 hours because of the volumes.
Lions' front office can't seem to do anything right these days. My tickets arrived last Friday and it was for the Ottawa game. Emailed Skulsky and got 3 tickets to the Calgary. Now I got 6 free tickets in addition to my regular tickets.
David
Team Captain

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports · Sep 8

7-8,000 tickets have been redeemed by #BCLions fans so far from 'guaranteed win' night.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar