Rick Ball Moving to Calgary...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Rammer wrote:
smphantom wrote:Scott Rintoul mentioned on Twitter today that he's the new guy replacing the Baller.
I like Rintoul on the TEAM, he has good knowledge, is able to think on the fly, but I don't really care for his voice, nowhere near in the league with Rick Ball. However, if he was able to partner up with Angus Reid as his colour guy, I could tolerate it.
I agree, Rintoul's voice is a bit annoying. Rick Ball was one of the best I've heard both for PBP and just sports radio show hosting.

Is Giulio Caravatta going to continue as colour man?
BC 1988
Legend

smphantom wrote:Let's now hope TSN Radio will eliminate Pratt and Bro Jake! Please?
They were joking this morning about all the announcements of the Sept 8th official TSN Radio launch. "Ooh, sounds ominous" .

As a long time regular Monday-Friday listener since TEAM launched, I'd love to see them gone too.

I like Sekeres & Price, B-Mac &Taylor, and the Moj when I get a chance to listen to his time slot, but the morning show is excruciating to listen to.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

smphantom wrote:Let's now hope TSN Radio will eliminate Pratt and Bro Jake! Please?
X2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
smphantom wrote:Scott Rintoul mentioned on Twitter today that he's the new guy replacing the Baller.
I like Rintoul on the TEAM, he has good knowledge, is able to think on the fly, but I don't really care for his voice, nowhere near in the league with Rick Ball. However, if he was able to partner up with Angus Reid as his colour guy, I could tolerate it.
His voice is no worse than Cuthbert
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
His voice is no worse than Cuthbert
You could be correct, but Cuthbert has video to go along with him, Rintoul won't. Radio is all about the voice.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:I like Rintoul on the TEAM, he has good knowledge, is able to think on the fly, but I don't really care for his voice, nowhere near in the league with Rick Ball. However, if he was able to partner up with Angus Reid as his colour guy, I could tolerate it.
I appreciate Rintoul's passion, enthusiasm, and knowledge. But I agree, he doesn't have Baller's pipes - he's almost like listening to a really good college intern. Count me among those who would have loved a JP McConnell simulcast from France. :wink: Really surprised Rick Ball would up and leave in the middle of the football season (unless this is when his contract expired?). And to Calgary?!? Must have been a very lucrative offer to get him to leave the West Coast.

And please keep Giulio. No Angus Reid.

DH :cool:
I agree with all of this. I don't listen to 1040 except when necessary and I'm sure Scott is a great guy but he sounds like he's about 15. I'll try and wrack my brain for some name suggestions (other than myself, in addition to my new job as Commissioner). And YAC yards will NOT be tolerated!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As long as we're talking 1040, IMHO they've had some pretty decent listening for much of this summer. I know they get dissed in some corners for their disproportionate Canucks coverage but I've found them to be rather well-balanced the last couple months with not everything beginning and ending with the NHL. They've devoted a lot of coverage time to non-NHL sports in recent weeks, whether it's CFL, NFL, MLS, baseball (Van Cdns and MLB), golf, tennis, whatever. I don't know if it's because there simply happens to be less NHL news this summer, but I seem to recall more off-season NHL coverage from them in past years. This happenstance might have something to do with so many of the on-air regulars taking vacation and their subs trying to put their own touch on the listening product. For the most part I've liked the contributions of people like Stu Walters and Mitch Berger.

I'm fairly satisfied with their Lions coverage. Sekeres had Wally Buono on a couple weeks ago for two full hours as his co-host. There are frequent interviews with someone from the organisation whether it's MB, WB, DS or one of the players, and sometimes even with players from whoever the Lions facing in their next game. Farhan Lalji, Glen Suitor, Angus Reid and Dave Naylor are heard from regularly. Sekeres often does his show from BCP if the Lions are in the building for walk-through. He did it at Lions practice two Thursdays ago during which DS broke his GWN announcement, to which they gave plenty of run. And of course every game gets seven hours of coverage with the 2 hours each of pre and post game flanking the game itself.

I'm not under any illusions that this balance will continue once Canucks TC convenes, but for now I think it would be a mistake to fall into the trap of dismissing them as "all hockey, even in the off-season".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Ughhh, Rintoul? OK, I hate to talk negative about people who are just trying to make a living doing what they love, but he just doesn't have a voice for play by play. I think it's a pretty common issue here in the local sports scene. Lots of guys on radio who really don't have radio voices.
The list goes on an on. Dan Russell, Tony Gallagher, Matt "Nose Plugged" Sekeres, Matt Baker (who I think does the announcing at the games now).
I hate to say, but Scott Rintoul, even though I agree he has a strong passion and knowledge of football, just doesn't sound that great if you have to listen to him for three hours. He sounds more like a student doing the play-by-play for Zack Morris and his buddies at Bayside.
I prefer JP McConnel's dipsy doodling.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps Rintoul is a fill in for the rest of the season til a more comprehensive search is done during the off season.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps Rintoul is a fill in for the rest of the season til a more comprehensive search is done during the off season.
Could be, what with how abrupt Ball's move was; he never even had a "farewell" broadcast as apparently SR will be starting right away with the @Ott game. Rintoul already does sideline reporting so his work schedule hours prob won't change a great deal. I suppose Moj will handle the field level assignment for the rest of the season? He's already done some of that, too.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps Rintoul is a fill in for the rest of the season til a more comprehensive search is done during the off season.
Could be, what with how abrupt Ball's move was; he never even had a "farewell" broadcast as apparently SR will be starting right away with the @Ott game. Rintoul already does sideline reporting so his work schedule hours prob won't change a great deal. I suppose Moj will handle the field level assignment for the rest of the season? He's already done some of that, too.
Moj hosts the studio postgame shows, and does a good job of it. I'd hate to see him lose that gig for a few in-game few sideline updates. I don't listen to the PBP broadcasts when I'm in the stadium but I always look forward to the postgame interviews and analysis.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Moj hosts the studio postgame shows, and does a good job of it. I'd hate to see him lose that gig for a few in-game few sideline updates. I don't listen to the PBP broadcasts when I'm in the stadium but I always look forward to the postgame interviews and analysis.
Just wondering, since they don't conflict time-wise in terms of on-air presence, would there be any reason he couldn't handle both gigs? If he has to do post from the Robson studio and esp if he has to do prep work there for it as the game plays out then yeah, this would be a logistical barrier. Or it could just simply be a workload issue.

What's Daved Benefield up to these days? I recall he made some sporadic contributions to 1040's gamecasts shortly after he retired. Assuming he would be interested and up to the job (has he stayed close to the game recently?), the timing might be right for him, with their personnel now in flux.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:So long TEAM radio and hello TSN
TSN Radio Hits the Air in Vancouver on Monday, Sept. 8

– TEAM Radio 1040 and 1410 in Vancouver to be rebranded to TSN Radio 1040 and 1410, joining TSN’s roster of all-sports radio stations across Canada –
– Don Taylor joins the TSN Radio family on a full-time basis –

VANCOUVER (August 28, 2014) – TSN announced today that the network is further extending its industry-leading brand with the launch of TSN Radio in Vancouver – making TSN Radio available in six Canadian markets. With a continued focus on local sports and programming, TEAM Radio 1040 and 1410 will be rebranded to TSN Radio 1040 and 1410 beginning Monday, Sept. 8 at 6 a.m. PT. TSN also announced today that Don Taylor joins the TSN Radio family on a full-time basis.

“We are thrilled to be officially joining the TSN Radio roster,” said James Stuart, Regional Vice-President, Radio and Local Television, B.C, Bell Media. “Vancouver sports fans have been turning to our stations for many years. With the strength of the TSN brand, we will continue to serve our loyal listeners with the sports coverage they know and trust.”

TSN Radio in Vancouver will continue to be the exclusive home of every game from the Vancouver Canucks, BC Lions, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Vancouver Giants, and Seattle Seahawks. The stations also deliver coverage of the Vancouver Canadians and Vancouver Stealth, as well as live coverage of TSN’s slate of major sporting events, including the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship, FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015, golf and tennis majors, and more.
With the rebranding effective today teamradio.ca now redirects to the new url http://www.tsnradiovancouver.ca/.
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

.[/quote]

MOJ will continue to do pre and post, along with sidelines at home. Same as when he would fill in for Scotty on the sidelines previously.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BakeTEAM1040 wrote:
MOJ will continue to do pre and post, along with sidelines at home. Same as when he would fill in for Scotty on the sidelines previously.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess you'll also need to change your handle here now? :P