Cohon done as COMMISSIONER

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=459986
TORONTO POLITICIAN STINTZ VYING FOR CFL COMMISSIONER POST

Toronto city councillor Karen Stintz, who dropped out of the city's mayoral race on Thursday, has a new goal in mind.

In an interview with The National Post, Stintz said that she is interested in applying for commissioner of the Canadian Football League.

"Well, I am a football fan," Stintz told The Post. "I think that would be a great job. That is definitely a job that I would want to do. It is open now."

Current CFL commissioner Mark Cohon announced this week that he'd be stepping down from the position next spring. Cohon has held the position since 2007.

Stintz, 44, has been a Toronto councillor since 2003 and withdrew as a candidate for the mayoral election after a lack of support and funds.

"This has impacted my financial ability to continue. Absent a more substantial level of support I must conclude my efforts," she said during a news conference.
Ummm ... Any qualifications aside from being a fan? LOL
"Well, I am a football fan," Stintz told The Post. "I think that would be a great job. That is definitely a job that I would want to do. It is open now."
George Bush Junior dreamed of being Commissioner of MLB. :dizzy:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet Staff

August 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

Former Toronto mayoral candidate Karen Stintz has thrown her hat in the ring to become the next commissioner of the CFL.

Stintz told the Toronto Star on Friday that she is interested in the position currently held by Mark Cohon, who announced on Wednesday that he will not seek a third term.

The North York, Ont., native, who dropped out of the mayoral race on Thursday, said she grew up a big NFL fan but has grown to love the Canadian game over the years.

“I grew up with dad, who is from Baltimore, and grew up with football,” Stintz told The Star. “I started watching the (NFL) Baltimore Colts, but then they moved to Indianapolis, so then I watched the (short-lived CFL) Baltimore Stallions, and then Baltimore got the (NFL) Ravens.

“I grew up with the NFL but last year I had season’s tickets for the Argos and I’ve been to two Grey Cups.”

Although Stintz acknowledged she is a long shot to replace Cohon, who has held the role since 2007, the former city councillor and head of the Toronto Transit Commission said it’s a position she has had her eye on for a while.

“I’ve long thought about what a great job it would be to have . . . ,” Stintz said. “I see a unique opportunity for the CFL finding a (new) home (stadium) for the Argos, making sure they stay in Toronto, and because the CFL is expanding — a new team in Ottawa and (potentially) another out East — it’s a new time for the league.”
The ambition, and sense of entitlement, of some people far, far, far outweighs their qualifications.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

GWB would have been better qualified to be commissioner of MLB than he was for his other jobs.

As for Karen Stintz, she couldn't even compete with the lacklustre campaigns of John Tory and Olivia Chow, let alone the Great Buffoon of Ford Nation (who actually and seriously might not be a bad choice for Cohon's job - he loves the game and could certainly do the sales job, letting the governors actually run the league - if he could truly ditch the booze and drugs and clean up the potty mouth). Having spent half her career kissing his, uh, ring, then for the past couple of years trying to pretend she didn't know him, didn't help.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Fellow CFL Fans:

I take this opportunity to formally announce my candidacy as Commissioner of the Canadian Football League to succeed my friend and colleague Mark Cohen (or Cohon, who can remember?).

As a lifelong CFL fan, I believe I am eminently qualified for the position and I believe I embody the characteristics so beloved of the CFL. Tenacity, durability, respect for our history, fair play and sportspersonship (if that's a word).

Please give this announcement your most serious consideration, and, thank you.

Lions4ever
Ravi
Legend

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:GWB would have been better qualified to be commissioner of MLB than he was for his other jobs.

As for Karen Stintz, she couldn't even compete with the lacklustre campaigns of John Tory and Olivia Chow, let alone the Great Buffoon of Ford Nation (who actually and seriously might not be a bad choice for Cohon's job - he loves the game and could certainly do the sales job, letting the governors actually run the league - if he could truly ditch the booze and drugs and clean up the potty mouth). Having spent half her career kissing his, uh, ring, then for the past couple of years trying to pretend she didn't know him, didn't help.
This is the second suggestion I have seen today about Rob Ford becoming commissioner of the CFL. Can you imagine the national joke the league would be if this were to happen? The guy is a walking disaster. Yes, he loves football but he loves American football much more than Canadian football. The guy is one of the leaders banging the drum to bring the NFL to Toronto for crying out loud. I hate it when I see him wearing any Argo merchandise as it reflects very poorly on the team. The Argos had to issue a statement prior to the East Final last year disassociating themselves from this buffoon after he made a vulgar comment while wearing an Argo jersey about performing oral sex on his wife. Please stay as far away from the CFL as you can, Rob Ford!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Pinball Clemons would make a good Commissioner. He has played the game, coached and managed the team and is well liked.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:The ambition, and sense of entitlement, of some people far, far, far outweighs their qualifications.
Well put. Just no perspective or sense of her true place in the firmament--unbridled narcissism.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I think Pinball Clemons would make a good Commissioner. He has played the game, coached and managed the team and is well liked.
Great suggestion. He'd bring some real energy to the position and would be a tremendous ambassador for the game.
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:Fellow CFL Fans:

I take this opportunity to formally announce my candidacy as Commissioner of the Canadian Football League to succeed my friend and colleague Mark Cohen (or Cohon, who can remember?).

As a lifelong CFL fan, I believe I am eminently qualified for the position and I believe I embody the characteristics so beloved of the CFL. Tenacity, durability, respect for our history, fair play and sportspersonship (if that's a word).

Please give this announcement your most serious consideration, and, thank you.

Lions4ever
You get my vote brother, but God forbid the first CFL scribe or announcer to call it "YAC yards" on your watch. :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think Pinball Clemons would make a good Commissioner. He has played the game, coached and managed the team and is well liked.
Great suggestion. He'd bring some real energy to the position and would be a tremendous ambassador for the game.
And a lot more class than Rob Ford.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

notahomer wrote:Like he said 'EIGHT YEARS, time flies'.

IMO, the CFL has some tough shoes to fill. Definately did a good job as Commish, IMO...
I agree...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:George Bush Junior dreamed of being Commissioner of MLB. :dizzy:
You laugh, but that's the one job in life he probably would have been good at.

Ford's a clown. Stintz is unqualified and though I like Pinball Clemons, I'm not atomistic about his business acumen.

Get me someone boring but with a solid sense of business acumen, please.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Add me to the "Pinball for Commish" group please...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/28 ... ching-job/
Ford a hardline coach, new documents show

Toronto Mayor seen as disruptive

Rob Ford made players roll in goose scat, challenged teacher to fight, showed up drunk to practice: Documents reveal why he was fired as football coach

Natalie Alcoba | August 28, 2014 | Last Updated: Aug 28 11:13 PM ET

Toronto mayor Rob Ford, coach of the Don Bosco Eagles, celebrates with his team following their win in the Metro Bowl Semi-Final against St. Andrew's at Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, November 21, 2012.

Tyler Anderson/National PostToronto mayor Rob Ford, coach of the Don Bosco Eagles, celebrates with his team following their win in the Metro Bowl Semi-Final against St. Andrew's at Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, November 21, 2012. .

In a throwback to months gone by, Mayor Rob Ford resumed a familiar tactic on Thursday: breezing past a flank of reporters gathered around his office, this time ignoring questions about new allegations that he called teenage football players c—suckers, made them roll around in goose scat and showed up to a practice drunk in 2012.

The troubling picture of the months leading up to the Toronto Catholic District School Board banning Mr. Ford from coaching duties is contained in some 300 pages of documents released following a freedom of information request by media outlets.

Mayor Ford, who was sacked as head coach of the Don Bosco Eagles in May, 2013, after a decade of volunteering, became a disruptive force at the secondary school in the fall of 2012. He disregarded requests for criminal background checks, challenged a fellow coach to a fight, left the school board with a $5,000 bill for $25 helmets he had promised to purchase, and pressured players to take unsanctioned trips to a football game.

His eventual coaching ban came after revelations of a video showing the mayor smoking crack cocaine, although the school board has maintained the ouster was unrelated. Mayor Ford spent most of Thursday at a council meeting and did not respond to the allegations, although his office announced it would be selling another round of bobbleheads in his likeness come Monday.

The chief magistrate’s voice cracked, however, when he rose to make a final address about this term, acknowledging that he “put this council through some challenges” and “embarrassed” his colleagues. “The past is the past, and we have to move forward,” said Mr. Ford, who went to rehab this summer.

Councillor Doug Ford, meanwhile, suggested that the allegations regarding his brother’s coaching conduct were not true. “I know you don’t have anything else to do but look up stuff two years ago, fictitious rumours and allegations,” he told reporters.

In response, board spokesman John Yan wrote: “The information contained in the documents is a factual archive of our board communications and related draft notes.”

It alleges that the trouble at Don Bosco actually began before the 2012 school year, with the mayor’s insistence on holding practices that were not allowed and challenging John Royiwsky, a teacher and co-coach, to a fight. “He kept repeating I will kick your ass, F you, you’re a p—y. I run this program not you,” a briefing note on the titled “critical incidents involving Mayor Ford” stated.

At another such practice, a player broke a collarbone, prompting the principal to send Mr. Ford a letter warning of disciplinary action if rules are not followed.

The mayor, meanwhile, urged players to act as a “human shield” for him when reporters were around and after an October practice “he made players roll in goose scat and he called them c—suckers. He used profane language that was excessive,” according to a briefing note compiled by TCDSB communications coordinator John Yan, and based on interviews with principal Ugo Rossi and Mr. Royiwsky, who still coaches at Don Bosco.

In November, he appeared “late and visibly inebriated” at the final practice before the Metro Bowl Championship game of 2012, which occurred amid the initial court judgement in his conflict of interest case that ordered him out of office. (The ruling was later overturned.) Mr. Ford did eventually get a background check, which Police Chief Bill Blair personally vouched for.

It was in March, 2013, after the mayor made “negative and derogatory” comments about the school community on Sun TV, that the school board initiated a review of Mr. Ford’s coaching.

The volume of correspondence, talking points, contingency plans and PR strategy released amid the school board documents shed light on the Ford-induced turmoil happening behind the scenes at the school board. In one March email, an infuriated Mr. Rossi slammed the “negative” commentary by the mayor on Sun TV as “reckless and problematic.” “I am a very patient Catholic but this is enough. This is our Bosco, these are our students, they deserve better,” he wrote.

Several councillors at city hall said the revelations were not news to them, but still disturbing.

“It speaks volumes he was fired as a football coach at a high school. How can he run a city?” asked Jaye Robinson, who is supporting mayoral candidate John Tory. Councillor John Filion, however, doubted it would make a difference. He estimated that one in three Torontonians are “willfully blind” to Mr. Ford’s antics. “It’s just the same story over and over again and everybody plays the role in the story, and it just goes on and on.”

As for the Don Bosco Eagles, the football team has gone on to win an Ontario Championship since Mr. Ford’s departure, and seen its roster jump from 35 to 46 players.
No, I cannot recommend Rob Ford to replace Mark Cohon. Nor as a Mayor either. Nor as a teenagers' football coach.

I hope David Braley is involved in the selection process for the new Commissioner once again.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Cohon's contract isn't up until April, but he and the league BOG have reportedly agreed mutually on his making an early exit next month. BOG chair Jim Lawson will become acting commissioner until the hiring of a permanent replacement, the search committee for which Lawson also heads:
CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, league board agree to his early departure

The Canadian Press
Published: December 4, 2014, 2:12 pm

TORONTO — CFL commissioner Mark Cohon will be leaving his post earlier than expected.

A source tells The Canadian Press that Cohon and the CFL’s board of governors have mutually agreed to him leaving his position in January.

The source added CFL board chairman Jim Lawson will act as interim commissioner until Cohon’s replacement is found.

Lawson also heads up the league’s search committee whose job it is to Cohon’s successor.

Cohon’s contract as commissioner is due to expire in April.

In August, Cohon announced he wouldn’t seek a contract extension to remain on the job after his current deal ended.

Cohon, 48, succeeded Tom Wright as CFL commissioner in 2007 and signed a three-year contract extension in 2012.
Wherever Cohon's next job is, they probably want him aboard quickly.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.