the worst eastern division since 1981 ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

I posted this over on argofans.com and did not receive much support but I feel that the league should go to fewer interlocking (East vs. West) games by having each team play two fewer games against the other division and two more games against their own division. Even just in travel costs - something that Cromartie has just mentioned - it would be advantageous to go to this format. Also, you would get fewer home games against opponents who don't sell as well and more home games against rivals.
dupsdell1
Champion

Ravi wrote:I posted this over on argofans.com and did not receive much support but I feel that the league should go to fewer interlocking (East vs. West) games by having each team play two fewer games against the other division and two more games against their own division. Even just in travel costs - something that Cromartie has just mentioned - it would be advantageous to go to this format. Also, you would get fewer home games against opponents who don't sell as well and more home games against rivals.

Or do what they use to do in the 60's and 50's western and eastern teams do not play each other until the grey cup.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:I posted this over on argofans.com and did not receive much support but I feel that the league should go to fewer interlocking (East vs. West) games by having each team play two fewer games against the other division and two more games against their own division. Even just in travel costs - something that Cromartie has just mentioned - it would be advantageous to go to this format. Also, you would get fewer home games against opponents who don't sell as well and more home games against rivals.
That's an interesting idea. For teams in the West, it could mean playing each other three times a year and playing two East Division teams once and two teams twice. The Lions would be guaranteed a third game each year against Saskatchewan and all other West teams. This year the Lions play Saskatchewan and Edmonton only twice.

The extra intradivisional games should be good for TV ratings and gate attendance. The Lions would get more games against traditional rivals and play more often in their preferred 7 p.m. Saturday time slot instead of being saddled with 4 p.m. games to appease Eastern markets. That strikes me as a win-win proposition.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I like Duane Forde's idea of just ranking teams 1-9 straight up without any divisions. You'd stand a much better chance of having a Grey Cup matchup with two of the league's best teams, which the current crossover format doesn't really address. Reducing the number of east-west games probably wouldn't hurt, except with only four eastern teams, you'd run the risk of fan fatigue from seeing the same three opponents so often. Wasn't this the reason they went fully interlocking in 1981 in the first place?

BTW, Ravi, speaking of argofans.com I saw a thread on there that noted the Lions went 42 days in 2001 between home games. This distinction was never part of the original schedule and deserves an asterisk. A home game versus Hamilton originally scheduled for shortly after 9/11 would have fallen roughly in the middle of that 42 day stretch, but for obvious reasons it was postponed (until the Tuesday just before the playoffs started). It was strictly an artefact of the timing of 9/11. Had it happened any other week it would have averted that "drought".

As a footnote, the Lions wrapped 2001 by playing three games in a nine-day stretch: Saturday (their originally scheduled finale, at home), then the postponed home game on Tuesday, then the following Sunday in the WSF (a loss in Cgy, who went on to win the GC).

Other than this unusual happenstance, the longest stretch within a season between home games for the Lions (at least in the BCP era) is 30 days, which happened twice, in 1996 and 2012.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
I like Duane Forde's idea of just ranking teams 1-9 straight up without any divisions. You'd stand a much better chance of having a Grey Cup matchup with two of the league's best teams, which the current crossover format doesn't really address. Reducing the number of east-west games probably wouldn't hurt, except with only four eastern teams, you'd run the risk of fan fatigue from seeing the same three opponents so often. Wasn't this the reason they went fully interlocking in 1981 in the first place?

BTW, Ravi, speaking of argofans.com I saw a thread on there that noted the Lions went 42 days in 2001 between home games. This distinction was never part of the original schedule and deserves an asterisk. A home game versus Hamilton originally scheduled for shortly after 9/11 would have fallen roughly in the middle of that 42 day stretch, but for obvious reasons it was postponed (until the Tuesday just before the playoffs started). It was strictly an artefact of the timing of 9/11. Had it happened any other week it would have averted that "drought".

As a footnote, the Lions wrapped 2001 by playing three games in a nine-day stretch: Saturday (their originally scheduled finale, at home), then the postponed home game on Tuesday, then the following Sunday in the WSF (a loss in Cgy, who went on to win the GC).

Other than this unusual happenstance, the longest stretch within a season between home games for the Lions (at least in the BCP era) is 30 days, which happened twice, in 1996 and 2012.
I recall the biggest complaint when they went away from the interlocking schedule was that a team like Edmonton, who everyone at the time wanted to see, would only visit any eastern city once every two years. The dynasty Esks were the biggest draw in the league at the time with the Argos filling old Exhibition Stadium whenever they would make their visit every two years.

When I saw that gap for the 2001 Lions, I guessed that it was because of the game that was postponed due to 9/11. Thanks for confirming that.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=459777

And now Ticats starting QB Dan Lefevour is out for the year with a torn ACL......OUCH! Redblacks/AL's/Ticats in a turtle derby for second place?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=459777

And now Ticats starting QB Dan Lefevour is out for the year with a torn ACL......OUCH! Redblacks/AL's/Ticats in a turtle derby for second place?
In the week-to-week league schedule thread I posted an article last night from the Hamilton Spectator last night where it was speculated that if the ACL diagnosis came to fruition, as it now indeed has, the Ticats might consider (the almost certainly expensive prospect of) trading for a starter. They mentioned Cgy's Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn as possibilities but even if TL were already back as the uncontested #1 with all the rust shaken off, I couldn't see us giving him up. Who could Ham offer us in return, aside from draft picks?

Looks like the grand opening of Tim Hortons Field — the Labour Day Classic on Sep 1 against Ricky Ray & Co. — will feature the unheralded Jeremiah Masoli at the controls of Ham's offence. No pressure, kid! :shock:

Speaking of the Ticats, are they about to unveil another third jersey on the heels of the red-white-black number they wore just last year for our visit?

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Speaking of the Ticats, are they about to unveil another third jersey on the heels of the red-white-black number they wore just last year for our visit?

IIRC, that jersey was a one time thing honouring the 1943 Grey Champion Hamilton Flying Wildcats.
Lloyd
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
sj-roc wrote:As a footnote, the Lions wrapped 2001 by playing three games in a nine-day stretch: Saturday (their originally scheduled finale, at home), then the postponed home game on Tuesday, then the following Sunday in the WSF (a loss in Cgy, who went on to win the GC).
When I saw that gap for the 2001 Lions, I guessed that it was because of the game that was postponed due to 9/11.
It looks like playing three games in nine days eventually got the best of the Lions. Despite getting a good 34-16 win in Calgary in week 17, the Lions then lost big time 42-10 at home against last-place Saskatchewan. And in the WDSF the Lions fought back to take the lead 19-17 in the fourth quarter but the defence appeared to be totally tired by then and allowed mediocre QB Marcus Crandell and the Stampeders to take the lead with 2:08 win in an eventual 28-19 win.

It appears that even though Wally Buono coached mostly great teams in his championships seasons, he did also coach a Cinderella team as well and that would be the 8-10-0-1 2001 Stampeders who then upset first place Edmonton in the WDF and eventually upset the 14-4 Blue Bombers in the Grey Cup.
[video][/video]

Will Marcus Crandell be considered one of the CFL QB greats and will he be inducted into the Hall of Fame? Very unlikely.
Let's see how well he does as the Redblacks Quarterbacks Coach: http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/marcus-c ... acks-coach
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
274always
All Star

notahomer wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=459777

argos lose their next two and it'll be a derby for that first place 7-11 finish.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
Hawkballer 14 wrote:Looks like a real good year to finish with the 4th seed in the West, get the crossover and the easier path to the Grey Cup.

I'm calling it now: two Western teams will be competing for the Grey Cup in November. Book it. :popcorn:
I won't speak for the other eastern teams but as an Argo fan I am optimistic that Toronto will be a strong contender by the end of the regular season once they get some of their injured receivers back. The Argo defence is getting better by the week so if they can get the likes of Owens, Durie, Chiles, and Barnes back to full-strength, they will be a force to contend with and no easier an opponent in a potential East Final than whomever will be hosting the West Final this year.
Difference being the Eastern Semi-final opponent. A much better avenue to move along than facing one of Edmonton, Calgary, or Saskatchewan from a Lions perspective. And yes a healthy TO is in that group, but that comes down to a one game match vs two huge games in the West.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It's coming around to where the West is best
VANCOUVER - It’s all cyclical, they say. What goes around, comes around.

We just happen to be in the midst of this weird period in North American sports history ….

• In which the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks, not to mention the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos, seem to be the most dangerous teams in the National Football League.

• In which the Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks have split four of the last five Stanley Cups and --- with the St. Louis Blues, Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks --- have been hockey’s Murderer’s Row.

• In which the San Francisco Giants and the un-Eastern St. Louis Cardinals have won three of the last four World Series, and the two best current records in Major League Baseball are owned by clubs in Oakland and Anaheim, both in the American League West.

• In which the NBA Western Conference is completely dominant, while the East is a wasteland, its dignity barely salvaged last year only by Miami (when the Heat still had LeBron) and Indiana.

• In which four of the last five Major League Soccer titles have been won by teams from the far more competitive West.

And, of course, the piece de resistance:

• In which Western teams have won a mind-blowing 20 of 23 games against Eastern squads in the Canadian Football League to date this season, and the B.C. Lions, last in the West at 5-3, are two wins ahead of the East-leading Toronto Argonauts.

The truisms that fit almost all of these patterns is that better players make better records, stable front offices build deeper teams, and tougher divisional competition forges mentally tougher clubs.

But specific to each sport:

If the American League, in general, is seen as superior to the National League, it’s because the big sluggers flock to the AL with its designated hitter rule, and home runs win a lot of ballgames and pitchers in the batter’s box don’t. In that sense, the A’s-Angels period follows a sustained run of Yankees-Red Sox-Rays-Rangers excellence, and the Western aspect is probably a fluke. A’s-Angels, like Yankees-Red Sox-Rays, owe much to division rivalries.

If we’re into generalizations, let’s just say the soccer clubs in the Western half of MLS simply look smarter and better organized.

We’re willing to concede the NBA imbalance is almost purely cyclical, driven by superstars. And even in the puck world, where it looks as though California has become the new State of Hockey, it was not so long ago that Detroit --- then based in the West, but never exactly western --- and Pittsburgh and for a time Boston were considered the flavours of the day, to be copied by all.

If there’s a little harder edge, a more complete game, being played by Western NHL clubs right now, it’s because there are a handful of clubs with a deep nucleus and great coaching, and these, too, will pass.

And though it’s considered the ultimate “system” game, and no team ever goes the distance without a foundation of defence and offensive line, football is inordinately dependent on the quality of the quarterback, East, West or otherwise.

That’s why pretty much every great and lasting NFL club of the past decade or two has had a great and lasting quarterback to build around --- Favre-Brady-Manning-Brees-Roethlisberger --- and it’s why even teams known for hard-nosed defence like the Seahawks and 49ers would be lost without their Russell Wilsons and Colin Kaepernicks.

“Sometimes,” a football-savvy buddy says, “it’s just that simple.”

It only scratches the surface of the East-West conundrum in the CFL, though. Yes, Toronto’s Ricky Ray is the only quarterback of big-time (current) quality in the East, but that’s hardly been the case forever.

“Quarterbacking is critical to any team’s success,” Lions GM Wally Buono said Wednesday. “Right now, you would say Montreal and Hamilton, at least are in … chaos. Toronto has fallen on bad fortune because all their receivers are hurt, but when they get them back I think they’ll be a very, very competitive team.”

Yet, through all the ebb and flow of quarterbacking talent since interlocking play began in 1961, the only Western team with a losing record against the East is Winnipeg --- and the Blue Bombers spent a number of those seasons, at least since 1987, as an Eastern team, while the league was using them as its very own divisional ping-pong ball.

It must have at least something to do with competitive environment. Maybe time zones figure in there somewhat.

“Also, the scrutiny and expectations, both from media and public, are very intense (in the West),” Buono said. “Does that force the bar to be set higher for everybody in the organization? Maybe it does.

“And you can’t be an average team in the West. If you don’t win 10 games you’re probably missing the playoffs.”

But 2014 has been a landslide. And they’re sounding a little touchy about it over on the East side.

From Twitter: “@PeterDyakowski Give it a rest! Differences between Divisions are cyclical. If West is THAT good we'd see a crossover GC. None yet!”

Well, the Ticats lineman may be Canada’s Smartest Person (2012) –-- and it’s true that no fourth-place Western team has yet waded through two Eastern playoff teams to get to the Grey Cup --- but here’s how “cyclical” the CFL has been.

In East-West games over the past decade, the closest the East has been to .500 in a given season is 14-18. The West’s best full-season mark in that stretch was 26-6 in 2008.

This year’s lopsided margin, no doubt, is exacerbated by an expansion team in Ottawa and a Montreal squad still floundering without Anthony Calvillo, but last year (with no Ottawa) the tally was 20-12, and the year before (with Calvillo) it was 20-12.

That’s more critical than cyclical.

Luckily, it only takes one team emerging at the right time of year from the general malaise to rescue a conference’s good name.

The West may be best, but Boston won the 2011 Stanley Cup. The West may have gone 20-12 in 2012, but the Argos won the Grey Cup. The West may be more competitive, but the MLS champions last year were Sporting Kansas City.

Somewhere in there lies the CFL’s hope for the Grey Cup. Maybe, by three months from now, an Eastern team will have found a pulse.
by Cam Cole vancouversun.com
I hear where Cole is coming from but the CFL (and its TWO divisions :cool: ) are a different sports animal, IMO...... I'm sure its happened before, but not in my memory, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE EAST DOMINATED? The cyclical description Cole describes would mean the East is the BEAST sometimes, instead of almost always the least.....

The tweet where because a crossover Grey Cup hasn't happened has some large HOLES in it too, IMO. How many Grey Cups have the BC Lions played against the BlueBOmbers, a CUT/DRY western team. Admitedly the BOmbers were in the East division EVERY SINGLE TIME they played the Lions in the big game. So, just because a FOURTH place Western Team has never made the Grey Cup, doesn't mean a FIFTH team from the West may be more deserving of a playoff spot than a team finishing in first or second with a worse record.

I do think the RECORDS will even out. Both divisions will be playing more divisional games. BC has played the most against the West (4). When those eastern teams start playing each other more, MORE WINS (and losses!) will help raise some of the records anyways. I think the west WILL ALWAYS be a little more competitive while they have an extra team to battle for a spot.
South Pender
Legend

Glad you posted that, nota. I read it when it appeared and was surprised by the breadth--across several sports--of Western supremacy.

No one, however, has come up with an explanation as to WHY it's been this way. If we focus only on the CFL, it's probably true that Western teams have had the better players, maybe better coaching, and more financially-solid franchises...but why have things developed this way to such an overwhelming extent and been this way for so long?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I'm sure its happened before, but not in my memory, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE EAST DOMINATED? The cyclical description Cole describes would mean the East is the BEAST sometimes, instead of almost always the least.....
There was a stretch around the turn of the century (1999-2004) where the east had the edge over the west for three out of six years, most recently in 2004, but for only one of these three times was the edge more than six games. There were two other years (1992 and 1996) where the east also had an edge and twice it was a wash (1998 and 2000). It's been all west since 1981 except for these seven seasons. Only in one of these, 2001, could you argue that the east was truly dominant; incidentally, the west won the Grey Cup that year with a losing team against a heavily favoured eastern team sporting a much better, winning record.

Western record against eastern teams:
These numbers are through yesterday's Edm-Tor game. The edge has never been as huge as it is right now.

EDIT: I should have put a total on the bottom of that table: 698-455-10.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

From the National Post:

CFL’s East Division is especially poor this year: Five reasons why West is best

Excerpt:
For a long time, the Toronto Argonauts hung their clothes and held team meetings inside converted portable classrooms in the corner of a lush suburban university campus. It was not much, but it was home, at least until it burned down three years ago.

In Hamilton, the Tiger-Cats practised for years over the soundtrack of city workers hammering fresh wood into spots where the old benches had rotted through at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

In Montreal, the Alouettes could not work where they lived, and had to bus the entire team to some distant practice field. “We lose an average of 55 minutes per day,” then-coach Marc Trestman told a reporter five years ago.

Despite occupying some of the country’s largest markets, life in the Canadian Football League’s East Division has not always been glamourous. And near the halfway point of the season, it strains the memory to recall when it has been less prosperous, with teams from the East holding a 3-20 record against teams from the West. National Post reporter Sean Fitz-Gerald explores five theories on why the gap has grown so wide.
The third listed factor would vanish in a hurry if we went to a nine-team overall format with no divisions and the top six seeds (regardless of geography) advancing to the playoffs.