Return Game Upgrade? Could This Be a Thing?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

After doing prison time, Yonus Davis seeks a second chance in CFL

http://www.vancouversun.com/After+doing ... z39B2LE5om
David
Team Captain

Yonus Davis may have been the greatest returner I have ever seen play for the BC Lions. Rocky Long could find holes, Darnell Clash was electrifying as was Leon Bright. But Yonus absolutely tilted the field and was a threat to score every time he touched the ball.

Yes, he screwed up. Big time. But he's served his time. It's no time to get pious and holier-than-thou about things. This guy is a difference maker. Sign him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'd like to see the Lions contact his agent with an offer. It would probably strengthen Davis' submission to Immigration Canada to be able to show that he has a job to go to as part of his rehabilitation.
dupsdell1
Champion

It will be tough to enter Canada on the charges he had , all though he can visit Canada, Working will be a much tougher order.

I hope he can come here this would be a spark the lions need.
South Pender
Legend

Interesting development! Have we had a player in the CFL who has actually done prison time prior to playing here? I'm betting there've been one or two. The NFL doesn't seem to have a problem with this as we've seen with Michael Vick. Still, although intriguing, this seems like a long-shot to me.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Interesting development! Have we had a player in the CFL who has actually done prison time prior to playing here? I'm betting there've been one or two. The NFL doesn't seem to have a problem with this as we've seen with Michael Vick. Still, although intriguing, this seems like a long-shot to me.
Garry Sawatzky was a mid-90s Lion O-lineman after serving time for manslaughter.

http://insideprofessionalsports.blogspo ... atzky.html

Edit: back in April when the Lions were kicking the tires on Ocho, LU wrote this article — which specifically mentions Sawatzky and Davis — about the balancing act teams face when considering whether to sign players with rap sheets.

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/D ... story.html
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As indicated in the article, Davis' biggest hurdle is Canada Immigration letting him into the country with his record.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Interesting. However unless he's been working on remakes of Longest Yard while in the big house he'll be shaking off a minimum of 4 years of rust before a possible return to the CFL. As it says it won't be September 19th before his electronic monitoring device is removed. I'm thinking the bureaucracy and hoops that would have to be jumped through would take more than a while to clear. Seems to me if absolutely everything went right for him we're talking 2015 before a CFL restart would be possible.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.