Bombers 23 - Lions 6 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz, I think it is becoming clear the Dorazio is the master behind this debacle...but, it the OC's job to make the offence run...and if that means running the ball, and structuring most of your offence out of power formations, so be it. Chaps KNEW what worked...but he didn't have the patience to stay with it...and ultimately HE killed our QBs by trying to run his highly complex system behind a sieve...you can't build the Great Wall of China on top of sand...and now Jones is in the same situation...IMO, Jones was reckless in the MTL game at home, and put Glenn under an enormous amount of pressure, its just that Arceneaux chose that day to have his career start and it bailed us out...because Glenn could EASILY have been sacked 10 times in the MTL game at home, and could have thrown up to 5 INTs if the MTL DBs had reacted better, or if Manny had not been so amazing...

IMO, Jones hasn't figured ANYTHING out yet...and as such, we are going to continue to struggle and get people hurt until he does...and if the Lions rush Lulay back into this Dorazio mess, they are going to destroy his career...Jones needs to wake up to power football and play action...as you said Blitz, the spread CANNOT function with Dorazio coaching the OLine...so now its up to either Wally to fire Dorazio (good luck) or Jones turning on the light and playing smash mouth football.

The Bottom Line is this...this is a JOKE that we as fans should have to put up with Dorzaio for this long...the evidence is out there now for everyone to see...
This.

While Dorazio is clearly a problem, let's not get all revisionist history on Chaps. He's a guy that designed plays around Geroy Simon staying in to block blitzing defenders and sending Jason Clermont into predictable drag patterns repeatedly that caused more than one concussion and shortened his career.

Chaps had consistent play calling shortcomings and a change was needed. The fact that Dorazio may be a problem also doesn't mean that ridding ourselves of Chaps was a bad move.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz, I think it is becoming clear the Dorazio is the master behind this debacle...but, it the OC's job to make the offence run...and if that means running the ball, and structuring most of your offence out of power formations, so be it. Chaps KNEW what worked...but he didn't have the patience to stay with it...and ultimately HE killed our QBs by trying to run his highly complex system behind a sieve...you can't build the Great Wall of China on top of sand...and now Jones is in the same situation...IMO, Jones was reckless in the MTL game at home, and put Glenn under an enormous amount of pressure, its just that Arceneaux chose that day to have his career start and it bailed us out...because Glenn could EASILY have been sacked 10 times in the MTL game at home, and could have thrown up to 5 INTs if the MTL DBs had reacted better, or if Manny had not been so amazing...

IMO, Jones hasn't figured ANYTHING out yet...and as such, we are going to continue to struggle and get people hurt until he does...and if the Lions rush Lulay back into this Dorazio mess, they are going to destroy his career...Jones needs to wake up to power football and play action...as you said Blitz, the spread CANNOT function with Dorazio coaching the OLine...so now its up to either Wally to fire Dorazio (good luck) or Jones turning on the light and playing smash mouth football.

The Bottom Line is this...this is a JOKE that we as fans should have to put up with Dorzaio for this long...the evidence is out there now for everyone to see...

This.

While Dorazio is clearly a problem, let's not get all revisionist history on Chaps. He's a guy that designed plays around Geroy Simon staying in to block blitzing defenders and sending Jason Clermont into predictable drag patterns repeatedly that caused more than one concussion and shortened his career.

Chaps had consistent play calling shortcomings and a change was needed. The fact that Dorazio may be a problem also doesn't mean that ridding ourselves of Chaps was a bad move.
Exactly, that Chaps is gone only exposes Dorazio's influence on the OL play that much more. I feel sorry for Khari Jones being strapped with Dorazio, knowing that you don't mess with the Dorazio, he pulls senoirity with Wally and company.
Entertainment value = an all time low
leo4life
All Star

Only way this mess will get cleaned up if Lions miss the playoffs or lose first playoff game....attendance is down again so the bottom line will be afftected
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
cromartie wrote:

This.

Exactly, that Chaps is gone only exposes Dorazio's influence on the OL play that much more. I feel sorry for Khari Jones being strapped with Dorazio, knowing that you don't mess with the Dorazio, he pulls senoirity with Wally and company.
Just gonna put this out there... are we learning the reason why we had such a tough time filling our vacant OC position after JC was let go? It's pretty much common knowledge KJ was not at the top of our short list.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
leo4life
All Star

Good points regarding the OC job and the long time it took to fill...Lapolice & Cortez both said no and Lapo is good friends with Benny....also the factor in Dorazio controls the run blocking and not the OC....i cant see other CFL teams that the OC would not have total control over his offense...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:

This.

Agree
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:When Tony Dungy began being a head coach is goal was to simplfy and execute perfectly. He'd tone down on the complexities and had his players do what they did WELL. There is no point of having a complex system for the O-line if it isn't working and has probably contributed to QB's making mistakes including being sacked, injured and throwing INTS. IMO, the guys we have on our O-line are talented enough and can get the job done but they are obviously in a system some of them are struggling to execute. I hope things improve...........
There are coaches in pro sports who over complicate things when simplicity will do.

We see this in ice hockey now with all these extra coaches and assistants yet hockey is basically one of the simplest games there is - the essence of which is simple - passing and puck control. If you can do that you will be successful.

Complex blocking schemes with players who know that immediately post game the OL and other coaches will grade out their performance for team review can't be effective when it's more complicated than needed. Evaluations are needed but when it's done one by one there's less incentive to play as a unit and more to just do your job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

leo4life wrote:Good points regarding the OC job and the long time it took to fill...Lapolice & Cortez both said no and Lapo is good friends with Benny....also the factor in Dorazio controls the run blocking and not the OC....i cant see other CFL teams that the OC would not have total control over his offense...
Long time to fill?!?!?!?! It was exactly 4 weeks from the day it was announced Chap wouldn't be returning until the day Jones was announced. Seems to me that's actually fairly quick given how much change was happening around the league in the coaching ranks, possible vacancies elsewhere and the focus all organizations would've had on the expansion draft once their seasons were over.

There seems to be this perception that Benevides wanted Cortez and Cortez only then when he declined interest they wanted LaPo and LaPo only and it wasn't until both declined that they ran around like Chicken Little in a panic like the OC sky was falling. Would they have liked one of the other guys? Maybe. Did they think Cortez and Lapolice would automatically trip over themselves to leave existing jobs just to go to BC and that consideration for anybody else would be unnecessary? Only if Buono and Bene live in a dream world. With or without Dorazio, Benevides or any other personnel in place I think the odds of those other guys coming to BC were never better than 50/50 at best. Cortez has been a coaching vagabond thus difficult to gauge. I think Lapolice would be looking for a position that gives him a better shot at quick advancement back into an HC role. I was never sold on him as being any better than average in his brief 2 year stint as an OC. I fail to see where he was considered the be all to end all as an OC and that anyone else would be a huge step down. Even if Cortez and Lapo agreed to at least interview for the position I don't think the interviewing was going to stop there before a decision was made. I think Jones would've been a candidate right from the start.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
leo4life wrote:Good points regarding the OC job and the long time it took to fill...Lapolice & Cortez both said no and Lapo is good friends with Benny....also the factor in Dorazio controls the run blocking and not the OC....i cant see other CFL teams that the OC would not have total control over his offense...
Long time to fill?!?!?!?! It was exactly 4 weeks from the day it was announced Chap wouldn't be returning until the day Jones was announced. Seems to me that's actually fairly quick given how much change was happening around the league in the coaching ranks, possible vacancies elsewhere and the focus all organizations would've had on the expansion draft once their seasons were over.

There seems to be this perception that Benevides wanted Cortez and Cortez only then when he declined interest they wanted LaPo and LaPo only and it wasn't until both declined that they ran around like Chicken Little in a panic like the OC sky was falling. Would they have liked one of the other guys? Maybe. Did they think Cortez and Lapolice would automatically trip over themselves to leave existing jobs just to go to BC and that consideration for anybody else would be unnecessary? Only if Buono and Bene live in a dream world. With or without Dorazio, Benevides or any other personnel in place I think the odds of those other guys coming to BC were never better than 50/50 at best. Cortez has been a coaching vagabond thus difficult to gauge. I think Lapolice would be looking for a position that gives him a better shot at quick advancement back into an HC role. I was never sold on him as being any better than average in his brief 2 year stint as an OC. I fail to see where he was considered the be all to end all as an OC and that anyone else would be a huge step down. Even if Cortez and Lapo agreed to at least interview for the position I don't think the interviewing was going to stop there before a decision was made. I think Jones would've been a candidate right from the start.
I agree that LaPolice was NOT head and shoulders above anyone else available in a year of big league-wide coaching changes. There will be some growing pains with rookie OC and DC, but Dorazio's complex blocking schemes slow things up and frustrate the OC.

The thing that really frustrates my about the Dan The Tenure Man Dorazio situation is that the Lions already have a replacement O line coach on staff in Kelly Bates.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Speculating on how the decision came about to hire Khari Jones is a mute point to say the least...the only reality at this point is what KJ does from here...will he be like JC and "force" his system to work, no matter what, or will he accept the hand that was dealt him and work around it? The fact is, the only thing that has kept Kevin Glenn alive to this point are his abilities to get rid of the ball quickly and his knack for quickly collapsing to the ground just before the DLineman hits him...if Lulay walks back into what Glenn has had to deal with, Travis won't last 6 games...and that's no joke...

Dano, I agree...Kelly Bates should be our OLine coach, and its maddening to see what Dorazio is doing to the lineman with Bates waiting in the wings...this one rests with Wally and as others have said, a significant losing streak and a drop in attendance are the only ways that Wally will listen to talks of change...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Doubt there will be many takers but........

According to my Shaw Ratings TSN2 (channel 147) is replaying the BC beatdown by Bombers tomorrow night @ 9 PM Pacific.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:

We really don't know who Benevides' first choice as Offensive Coordinator is. The names of Cortez and LaPolice were the choices of some Lionbacker posters.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:Doubt there will be many takers but........

According to my Shaw Ratings TSN2 (channel 147) is replaying the BC beatdown by Bombers tomorrow night @ 9 PM Pacific.....
TSN had the Lions/Bomber game as their Tuesday fan choice. I couldn't stomach watching it a second time as once was more than enough. :puke:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
notahomer wrote:Doubt there will be many takers but........

TSN had the Lions/Bomber game as their Tuesday fan choice. I couldn't stomach watching it a second time as once was more than enough. :puke:
:shock: What!!! There was a Rider victory in a week and it wasn't the Tuesday fan choice? Very surprising........ :wink: