Awesome TV ratings for Leos/Bombers despite sloppy effort

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Als/Lions was #2 watch sporting event last week with 717,000 (RDS not included) on TSN depite the blowout. Probably over 1 million were watching this game at the start given everyone turned it off after 3 quarters (affecting the average) and most Montreal fans watch on RDS.

Despite flat attendance, Lions are still getting massive ratings.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:Als/Lions was #2 watch sporting event last week with 717,000 (RDS not included) on TSN depite the blowout. Probably over 1 million were watching this game at the start given everyone turned it off after 3 quarters (affecting the average) and most Montreal fans watch on RDS.

Despite flat attendance, Lions are still getting massive ratings.
The 4pm local start probably boosted the numbers with extra eastern viewers who otherwise might not have tuned in at all.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

OR ....

because of the AWESOME TV ratings the attendance stays flat. The Lions need to (and claim to be doing) whatever they can to push the 'stadium experience'. It really is an awesome way to spend an evening out, IMO. I've got great seats close to the field. I get quite a chuckle out of some of the gameday stuff (kisscam, Lions players jobs if they weren't Lions etc...).

The game day stuff I could do without...?

The long videos introducing the Lions. THe gameday announcer introduces the head coach and the team the Lions are playing. Then there is a long video (maybe its not that long but it drags, IMO). Show the video before introducing any teams, if you have to.

The attempts at getting some stuff going like the B.....C.... chant. Love the idea but when they chose to do it and how didn't work. Let it happen more organically. I have to admit this is one CHANT I'd love to hear happening again. I used to hear it when the Lions played in the Dome. They used to have these weird things called 'blackouts' so I could only take in the game via radio (no moolah for tickets back then). That B....C..... chant is a keeper, IMO. Don't try getting it going just before kickoff....
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the info Qman. Yes, these TV numbers are an important gauge of interest in the Lions in this market, having led the league in TV ratings for two straight weeks. IIRC, Dennis Skulsky reported that we were #2 in 2012. BC had been #1 in ratings up until the last couple of weeks of the season, but fell slightly.

There's a very good chance we could be #1 again this week with the coveted "Friday Night Football" slot, a showdown with the surprising Bombers, and Geroy Simon night. Toronto-Sask numbers should be big as well, but I don't think they'll be as big as ours.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:because of the AWESOME TV ratings the attendance stays flat. The Lions need to (and claim to be doing) whatever they can to push the 'stadium experience'. It really is an awesome way to spend an evening out, IMO. I've got great seats close to the field. I get quite a chuckle out of some of the gameday stuff (kisscam, Lions players jobs if they weren't Lions etc...).
I agree they really do need to try their utmost to deliver an experience that their hi-def TV can't offer.

For example (and I've suggested this one before) let's say on Friday some hapless Bomber receiver is on a crossing route, just about to make the catch. He gets his hands on the ball but gets absolutely CRUNCHED and it harmlessly squirts loose onto the turf for an incompletion. Now if he's injured, what follows would obviously be entirely inappropriate, but let's say he gets back on feet right away and they run the replay, then they tack this little graphic onto the end of it:

Basically they need stuff that will get people talking about the game to others who weren't there ("look at what you're missing out on!"), whether on social media or wherever. The more of this category of stuff, the better.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

David wrote:Thanks for the info Qman. Yes, these TV numbers are an important gauge of interest in the Lions in this market, having led the league in TV ratings for two straight weeks. IIRC, Dennis Skulsky reported that we were #2 in 2012. BC had been #1 in ratings up until the last couple of weeks of the season, but fell slightly.

There's a very good chance we could be #1 again this week with the coveted "Friday Night Football" slot, a showdown with the surprising Bombers, and Geroy Simon night. Toronto-Sask numbers should be big as well, but I don't think they'll be as big as ours.

As predicted, the Leos game was the most-watched sports event on English-language television for yet another weekend, according to BBM Canada:

HERE.

1. CFL, Bombers at Lions, Friday, TSN: 857,000

This despite a sloppy, penalty-filled game (Argos and Roughriders were 2nd with 830,000). By comparison, the Whitecaps game vs FC Dallas, an exciting 2-2 draw was #19 with 99,000 viewers tuning in.

I think you're going to hear our impressive TV numbers tossed around by Skulsky tomorrow - as well he should. It is definitely something to crow about. However, it's clearly coming at the expense of bums in the seats at BCP.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

That why TSN is paying the lions $5M per season.

Bums in the seats have been the same for 50 years (give or take some ups and down) and isn't going to change.
Only revenue growth for the league is to turn TSNs $5M per season into $10m per season next time around.
dupsdell1
Champion

Qman wrote:That why TSN is paying the lions $5M per season.

Bums in the seats have been the same for 50 years (give or take some ups and down) and isn't going to change.
Only revenue growth for the league is to turn TSNs $5M per season into $10m per season next time around.

Yes but 25,000 is going to shrink to 20,000 and so on if the stadium experience is not better , I guarantee that if skulskie tom on 1040 says that our rating are out of this world ( and he will) that is like a satisfaction the lions marketing want to hear, and that turns into a very lazy way of marketing a team , you do not hear a NFL tam saying " OH OUR RATING ARE UNREAL AND WE ARE ONLY GETTING 45,000 WAY TO GO MARKETING TEAM " Give me a break I will be phoning in tom saying my peace to him that if the lions do not deal with this low attendance problem ( and believe me it is low from were bob ackles had it ) it is going to come back and bite them in the butt were it is going to take years to get it back to around 30,000 a game again. ,
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
David wrote:Thanks for the info Qman. Yes, these TV numbers are an important gauge of interest in the Lions in this market, having led the league in TV ratings for two straight weeks. IIRC, Dennis Skulsky reported that we were #2 in 2012. BC had been #1 in ratings up until the last couple of weeks of the season, but fell slightly.

As predicted, the Leos game was the most-watched sports event on English-language television for yet another weekend, according to BBM Canada:

HERE.

1. CFL, Bombers at Lions, Friday, TSN: 857,000

This despite a sloppy, penalty-filled game (Argos and Roughriders were 2nd with 830,000). By comparison, the Whitecaps game vs FC Dallas, an exciting 2-2 draw was #19 with 99,000 viewers tuning in.

I think you're going to hear our impressive TV numbers tossed around by Skulsky tomorrow - as well he should. It is definitely something to crow about. However, it's clearly coming at the expense of bums in the seats at BCP.

DH
The other negative angle on these ratings — if you're a glass-half-empty kind of person — is that all those folks who watched us stink out the joint likely won't be inspired to buy tickets and join the crowd. Other than Courtney Taylor's late-Q2 catch-and-run where he dragged half the Bomber defence with him fighting for those last 10+ yards there wasn't much excitement from the Lions that still sticks in my mind.
Qman
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:

Yes but 25,000 is going to shrink to 20,000 and so on if the stadium experience is not better , I guarantee that if skulskie tom on 1040 says that our rating are out of this world ( and he will) that is like a satisfaction the lions marketing want to hear, and that turns into a very lazy way of marketing a team , you do not hear a NFL tam saying " OH OUR RATING ARE UNREAL AND WE ARE ONLY GETTING 45,000 WAY TO GO MARKETING TEAM " Give me a break I will be phoning in tom saying my peace to him that if the lions do not deal with this low attendance problem ( and believe me it is low from were bob ackles had it ) it is going to come back and bite them in the butt were it is going to take years to get it back to around 30,000 a game again. ,
Only way the stadium experience is going to get better is if they squeeze everyone into the lower bowl and limit supply. Then the atmosphere will be great and the 25,000 that want the live experience get a great experience and have to buy season tickets in order to ensure they get seats.
Qman
Champion

David wrote: I think you're going to hear our impressive TV numbers tossed around by Skulsky tomorrow - as well he should. It is definitely something to crow about. However, it's clearly coming at the expense of bums in the seats at BCP.

DH

I always assume Skulsky reads every one of my posts right here at lionbackers.com
dupsdell1
Champion

Qman wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:

Only way the stadium experience is going to get better is if they squeeze everyone into the lower bowl and limit supply. Then the atmosphere will be great and the 25,000 that want the live experience get a great experience and have to buy season tickets in order to ensure they get seats.
I agree exactly what bob ackles did and it worked remember 2003/2004 seasons I remember in 2004 almost every game had a sell out in the lower bowl .
aklawitter
All Star

2004: tickets were much cheaper, the product was exciting (casey printers MOP and infamous 04 GC, geroy simon 1750yds), concession prices weren't through the roof (ha), parking close to the stadium was more affordable
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Although I'm mostly in HK right now and up to mid Sept 2007 was at Lion games - even then it was not lost on me that despite enjoying a game and Friday night out DT that if I was at home early enough I'd get the back half of the east game and then be treated to a great TSN broadcast of the next game in what at worst would be a petty annoyance at TSN holding the final minutes of a blow out on the screen and not just declaring it over and moving to our game.

The TSN football coverage has vastly improved since then with more of it and top commentators like Lapo making a huge difference. The better the broadcasts and the better the excitement of the teams and the offenses the better the ratings. Some argue but the quality of the TSN broadcast crews - ALL OF THEM - is as good as any in the USA - NFL or College.

These folks just need to study marketing and other in-roads. I just saw Kobe Bryant on Bloomberg in Shanghai conducting a clinic. I had the sound down but he was talking to what was likely a full house in a gym for a clinic! I see NBA events outside malls in China and hundreds line up. NBA players here in HK in malls up on the stage shilling products and the NBA. Foreign soccer clubs marketing the crap out of SE Asia now. BUT they have so many cities to hit that they can't come to the same cities all the time.

CFL is different but let me tell if they got the Chinese fired up on the game they'd be smart - oh they have football in HK and some starting in China as NFL is going there too like baseball - you'd be see Lions' jerseys all over like we see other sports teams. Lesser here but still are Canucks, Maple Leafs but I see Canada quite a lot.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This is a bit stale as the numbers came out a few days ago but the Lions were once again the league's tv ratings champ last weekend with 656k viewers, although this was third overall in the broader sports category, trailing two Blue Jays games on Rogers that drew 832k and 724k viewers on Fri & Sat respectively.

The Fri night Jays game outdrew the concurrent TSN Argos/Als broadcast (514k viewers, 6th overall in weekend sports viewership), just slightly behind the Ssk/Ott Sat game (516k, 5th overall).

source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 05564.html