Khalif Mitchell back with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:I was never in favour of trading Mitchell without an adequate replacement, and that never happened. So if he can still play (he had a very good season in TO last year) then by all means. He would be a big addition for this team's defence IMO. As for Mitchell's behaviour, he isn't a problem child with the things he does, its the things he says...he's a child in an adult's body...this is WAY more common then people like to think. If the Lion's want to bring him back then they need to work with Mitchell to help him to understand that we are all connected...and that "hating" on someone, is just "hating" on yourself. As Carl Sagan said, we are all made up of the same space stuff that embodies EVERY particle in the Universe.
Because of Kahlif's incidents on and off the field the Lions were in a situation where they had to crap or get off the pot with him. You can't decide you need to move a player because he has become a distraction then decide you'll have to condone the distraction until you know you have an adequate replacement. If you decide the player is enough of a distraction that you have to move him then you have to move him and deal with the roster consequences as best you can.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Big Time
Champion

I was extremely critical of Khalif in his last year here. I found his actions immature, irresponsible, and felt he was an unnecessary roughness penalty waiting to happen. I was quite fine with the Lions showing him the door and his comments after he was released only solidified that opinion.

I did not pay that much attention to his play in Toronto but since he didn't really make an impression, that's probably a good thing in terms of off-field behaviour.

As for his return to the Lions, my guess is that Wally is speaking to his leadership group about their thoughts. I'm willing to accept that maybe Khalif has done some maturing since he's gone. He's still a young man and has potential to turn it around. The Lions also have veterans like Dante Marsh and Ryan Phillips to keep him in line.

I'm more or less ambivalent to Khalif coming back, however if he comes back, and it's a big IF, it would be under the condition that there will be ZERO tolerance for any of the nonsense that happened the last time. That means both on and off the field. I don't want to hear any more stupid comments on twitter, I don't want to see any more throat slashing gestures, and I don't want to see any more excuses about that type of behaviour. If he can man up and be a professional, than I say give him a chance. And if he can't, than he can go somewhere else.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Mitchell shouldn't even be in the league, let alone in lions uniform.

shame on wally if he is even thinking of bringing this trash back.
Not a big fan of accepting apologies, are we?
apologies alone are not worth much.

I am reminded of Dany Heatly who kills his friend by driving recklessly with excessive speeding, all kinds of apologies, then gets caught a number of months later doing the same thing.

so, if he backs up his apologies with improved character and actions, then yes, otherwise, no.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote: I'm more or less ambivalent to Khalif coming back, however if he comes back, and it's a big IF, it would be under the condition that there will be ZERO tolerance for any of the nonsense that happened the last time. That means both on and off the field. I don't want to hear any more stupid comments on twitter, I don't want to see any more throat slashing gestures, and I don't want to see any more excuses about that type of behaviour. If he can man up and be a professional, than I say give him a chance. And if he can't, than he can go somewhere else.
Yeah, pretty much how I see it.

I was a big fan of Khalif (as his name is spelled) in our Cup year. Later, his self centered, immature, damaging behaviour was unacceptable. Was Toronto happy enough to let him go? His behaviour seemed to be within acceptable limits there. Can he keep himself under control?

If Wally's group say OK, then I am also OK with his return. He certainly does seem like a mercurial Man Child.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lloyd brings up a good point.

Barker released him to pursue NFL options. If he doesn't have any NFL options, why isn't he going back to Toronto, and why doesn't Toronto want him back?
BC 1988
Legend

Vid explains why he wants to go back to "this time zone".
South Pender
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:

This does make things a little clearer. A business opportunity on the West Coast--prep for his life after football.
JohnHenry
Champion

The Lions had no choice but to get rid of Khalif. Now they have little choice but to re-sign him if he's available. By all accounts Khalif was a model citizen and teammate in Toronto and seems to have curbed his offensive antics and tweets. He provides that push up the middle the Lions has been lacking, which will free up Keron to play DE (opposite C. Wilson) assuming we can get him signed. :cr:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:

This does make things a little clearer. A business opportunity on the West Coast--prep for his life after football.
That video is a year old.....it was made before he chose to report to Toronto.......the situation could be completely different now.....or it could be the same.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

I would welcome Khalif back with open arms as I like Khalif the person (and he's a pretty damn fine football player and fills an immediate need). However, and this is a big caveat, I have a problem - ethically - with signing him. It is my understanding that Jim Barker released him to try the NFL, not sign with another team (imagine the outrage on this board if Wally extended the same consideration to Cord Parks, who was then talking to the Argos about signing there?).

Now, Barker may have released him outright (doubtful) or there may have been a provision in the trade whereby if he's released to try the NFL, he's free to come back to BC (also doubtful).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:I would welcome Khalif back with open arms as I like Khalif the person (and he's a pretty damn fine football player and fills an immediate need). However, and this is a big caveat, I have a problem - ethically - with signing him. It is my understanding that Jim Barker released him to try the NFL, not sign with another team (imagine the outrage on this board if Wally extended the same consideration to Cord Parks, who was then talking to the Argos about signing there?).

Now, Barker may have released him outright (doubtful) or there may have been a provision in the trade whereby if he's released to try the NFL, he's free to come back to BC (also doubtful).

DH :cool:
Well, of course, the Argos had no compunctions about signing Ricky Foley after he had orally accepted an offer here, so I doubt that I'll lose too much sleep over this if Khalif signs here. Or should we have higher standards than the rest of the league?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
South Pender wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:

That video is a year old.....it was made before he chose to report to Toronto.......the situation could be completely different now.....or it could be the same.
I thought something was odd about the video.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wally may believe in giving players second chances but no doubt this is potentially about addressing one of the Lions greatest concerns heading into the season.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
It’s either a reflection that people change or the fact B.C.’s pass rush wasn’t the same after Khalif Mitchell was traded last year. Either way, the Lions would like to bring him back, even if it includes his Twitter account.

General manager Wally Buono confirmed Monday that a contract offer was made to the free agent defensive lineman over the weekend. It’s a view completely different than the one taken just over a year ago, when the Lions traded Mitchell to the Toronto Argonauts following a season in which his racially insensitive remarks on social media outshone his work in the middle of the defensive front.

The offer was not made in isolation, said Buono, but after consulting a range of club personnel, including club president Dennis Skulsky, assistant coaches Carl Hairston and Mark Washington, and former teammates.

Hairston and Washington met with the 29-year-old for several hours and felt Mitchell had a changed disposition, Buono said.

“Blame me at the end if it doesn’t work, I’m fine with that,” said Buono. “But sometimes you have to leave home to appreciate what you have. We’ve all said things we wish we could take back. From what I’ve been told and what I saw, he handled himself better.”

Though Mitchell did not create any public issues on the way to becoming a league all-star last season, the Argos released him March 10 so that he might seek NFL opportunities similar to those he rejected in previously signing a contract extension with the Lions.

Earlier this month, the Lions briefly put NFL Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson on their negotiation list, despite the fact he was sentenced 10 months ago to a year’s probation for domestic violence. Buono said the circumstances surrounding Johnson and Mitchell are different.

“I want to win but I don’t want to win at all costs,” Buono said. “If I wanted to win at all costs I would have signed Chad Johnson.”

lullrich@theprovince.com
squishy35
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Wally may believe in giving players second chances but no doubt this is potentially about addressing one of the Lions greatest concerns heading into the season.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
“But sometimes you have to leave home to appreciate what you have. We’ve all said things we wish we could take back. From what I’ve been told and what I saw, he handled himself better.”

Forgive and move on... Welcome back Khalif.... :)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd still love to know Jim Barker's thoughts on Mitchell's free agency and whether he had any expectations that Mitchell would come back to the Argos if his NFL expectations weren't met.