Which Lions starting QB departure was the saddest?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which departing Lions starting quarterback was the saddest moment for you?

Roy Dewalt (1987 - released)
9%
Matt Dunigan (1989 - traded)
3%
Doug Flutie (1991 - free agency)
46%
Danny Barrett (1993 - traded)
No votes
Kent Austin (1994 - traded)
No votes
Danny McManus (1995 - released)
6%
Damon Allen (2002 - traded)
No votes
Casey Printers (2005 - free agency)
13%
Dave Dickenson (2006 - released)
23%

Total votes: 69
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the recent release of Dave Dickenson, I'd like to see how your emotions rank with regards to the departure of other Lions starting quarterbacks in the last 20 years. In the poll selections, I have indicated the quarterback's last season with the team as well as the reasons behind their departure. Here is what I recall and evaluate each quarterback's departure.

Roy Dewalt (1980 - 1987)
With new salary cap rules, the Lions couldn't afford to keep Dewalt in 1988 so he was released. The Lions then traded for Matt Dunigan. While a sentimental favourite, Dewalt was essentially over-the-hill as he didn't achieve anything when he signed on with Winnipeg and then Ottawa.

Matt Dunigan (1988 - 1989)
In that thread that I created evaluating past Lions trades, I indicated that trading Dunigan to the Toronto Argonauts in 1990 was one of the worst trades the Lions have made in their history. With the possible exception of Willie Pless, the six players the Lions obtained in the trade were totally ineffective. The Lions offence suffered under Joe Paopao and Doug Flutie wasn't used to the CFL game yet. This was a huge loss.

Doug Flutie (1990 - 1991)
After winning MOP, Doug Flutie became a free agent and new Stampeders owner Larry Ryckman offered him huge money that then-Lions owner Murray Pezim couldn't match. This was probably the biggest loss offensively although the Lions still had a terrible defense in 1992.

Danny Barrett (1992 - 1993)
After two mediocre seasons, Danny Barrett was traded away in a three way trade before the 1994 season for Kent Austin. I explained in my trade thread that Austin served the Lions better than Barrett did, so this has got to be one of the best trades ever. No loss at all with Barrett's departure.

Kent Austin (1994)
Austin served the Lions well in the 1994 regular season but we all know that he was injured in the 1994 WDF and Grey Cup. So to avoid a starting QB controversy in 1995, Austin was traded to Toronto. I'd still say this was still a minor loss.

Danny McManus (1993 - 1995)
McManus had a decent season in 1995 which was his first as a full-time starting QB, but the Lions had to settle for a third place finish and a first round playoff loss. For reasons that I don't understand to this day, I wonder why the Lions released him. This could very well be the worst QB release the Lions have ever made. McManus went on to a great season in Edmonton with a close Grey Cup loss.

Damon Allen (1996 - 2002)
After signing him to a new contract, the Lions immediately traded him to Toronto after Dave Dickenson was signed. Despite being in BC for seven seasons, he didn't turn out to be a sentimental favourite and I don't think many fans were too sad to see him go.

Casey Printers (2004 - 2005)
There was much debate as to whether the Lions should have kept him over Dickenson. This is still fresh in all your minds, so I won't say too much.

Dave Dickenson (2003 - 2006)
This just happened recently and there's already other threads discussing this, so I won't go into detail.
Big Time
Champion

The Doug Flutie departure was IMO the most devastating mistake the Lions ever made. It wasn't just the excitement and outstanding play Doug generated, but also the huge crowds they started drawing because of Flutie. Flutie had the city absolutely buzzing about the Lions and they drew 50K+ on a couple of occasions for a couple of regular season games. They averaged over 40K per season that last year which is something even the current edition of the Lions hasn't been able to match. I have never seen a more exciting season than the 1991 season. Six overtime games! You'll probably never see that again.

The worst part of the Flutie departure was that all the momentum he helped create around the Lions was absolutely ruined. From what I understand Pezim wasn't that far off in his negotiations however he absolutely refused to match the offer the Stamps made, even though he wasn't that far off. Losing Flutie to a divisional rival made it all the worse, as we were given as a consolation prize a mediocre Danny Barrett. Flutie may not have won a lot of cups in Calgary but he helped turn them into a regular season power house in the 90's. The Lions went from a huge turnaround to knocking on heaven's door in the mid 90's. It's somewhat of a miracle they didn't fold.

Damon Allen's inconsistency, not just in BC but in every market he's played in, has made him box office poison wherever he has played. He was too frustrating to watch in order for me to be sad to see him go.
crburrows
Champion

You missed Joe Kapp!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

crburrows wrote:You missed Joe Kapp!
This poll only allows nine selections, so that's why I stated QB's in the last 20 years.
Rammer
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:The Doug Flutie departure was IMO the most devastating mistake the Lions ever made. It wasn't just the excitement and outstanding play Doug generated, but also the huge crowds they started drawing because of Flutie. Flutie had the city absolutely buzzing about the Lions and they drew 50K+ on a couple of occasions for a couple of regular season games. They averaged over 40K per season that last year which is something even the current edition of the Lions hasn't been able to match. I have never seen a more exciting season than the 1991 season. Six overtime games! You'll probably never see that again.

The worst part of the Flutie departure was that all the momentum he helped create around the Lions was absolutely ruined. From what I understand Pezim wasn't that far off in his negotiations however he absolutely refused to match the offer the Stamps made, even though he wasn't that far off. Losing Flutie to a divisional rival made it all the worse, as we were given as a consolation prize a mediocre Danny Barrett. Flutie may not have won a lot of cups in Calgary but he helped turn them into a regular season power house in the 90's. The Lions went from a huge turnaround to knocking on heaven's door in the mid 90's. It's somewhat of a miracle they didn't fold.

Damon Allen's inconsistency, not just in BC but in every market he's played in, has made him box office poison wherever he has played. He was too frustrating to watch in order for me to be sad to see him go.
Didn't we also lose Rocco Ramano to the Stamps for the privilege of bringing Danny Barrett in as our starter? The more you look at that whole scene playing out, you have to appreciate the turn in both franchises attendances.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:I have never seen a more exciting season than the 1991 season. Six overtime games!
You can partially thank the Lions weak defence in 1991 for the close, exciting games as they had to allow the opponent to score as many points as Doug Flutie's offence generated. A Catch-22 between winning games and exciting games. :hypno:
Rammer wrote:Didn't we also lose Rocco Ramano to the Stamps for the privilege of bringing Danny Barrett in as our starter? The more you look at that whole scene playing out, you have to appreciate the turn in both franchises attendances.
Yeah, as I explained in this thread:
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=12401

the Lions had to give up Rocco Romano and Jamie Crysdale in the trade with Calgary to bring Danny Barrett to BC.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Well, I've only REALLY been paying attention since about the Damon Allen years, so that limits my scope on the poll. In Damon's case it was, "Geez, did it really take ya THAT long to get rid of him?" With Casey it was "Don't let the (BC Place revolving airlock) door hit you in the arse on the way out."

So that pretty much narrows it down to Dave... :sigh:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I voted Danny Mac just because of that great drive in the West Final to beat our current Coach then leading Flutie & the Stamps. THis is a small world but even smaller in the CFL world!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Pezzim was ridiculous in that whole Flutie scenario. If he wasn't prepared to pay him what he wanted which was considerable for that day and age, he still should have made the deal, then traded him. The way it worked out, the Lions pretty much received squat, less than squat when you consider Danny Barretts overall QB'ing talents. However, sad that was, I still picked DD. The reasons are more poignant for him IMO in that his health is a factor where with Flutie, it was just about money. DD without the injuries would still be here as QB so it really was a choice that he didn't want and I don't think the teams management wanted to make either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rick James
Legend

Flutie hands down. No question.

I was sad when dunnigan left too, CP not so much cause he was leaving to play in the show.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Magic Flutie. Beyond a Doubt. Without Question.

Ultimately voted the greatest CFL player ever. And we let him go because of a dysfunctional front office/ownership.

Personally I think Jackie Parker should have been voted the greatest CFL player ever, but that is another issue.

Flutie was great. We made a great move bringing him to the CFL and we let him go on to Calgary and Toronto, bringing them Grey Cups. Ughhhhhh
Blitz
Team Captain

Personally I think Jackie Parker should have been voted the greatest CFL player ever, but that is another issue.
Me too West Coast Joe and said so at the time!! :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm going with Flutie. Dewalt was on his way down, I always thought Danny Mac threw way too many interceptions, and I never really liked Austin or thought of him as Lion. I liked Dunnigan, but again I never really thought of him as a Lion rather an Eskimo. Barrett, meh. Letting Printers has (so far) proved to be the right thing for the Lions. I liked Damon, but again he was on the decline (at least it seemed so) when they got rid of him to make room for DD. I love DD and what he has done for the team, but I think Wally is doing what is best for the Lions. So that leaves Flutie. We all knew how good he was and letting him go cost the Lions a lot more than Ws and Ls. It was an embarrasment to watch him continue to be the hands down best player in the CFL for all those years after The Pez let him get away.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The poll results appear to be a deadlock between Doug Flutie and Dave Dickenson.
notahomer wrote:I voted Danny Mac just because of that great drive in the West Final to beat our current Coach then leading Flutie & the Stamps.
I'm going to re-post some questions that I originally asked on this thread:
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=12527

but nobody responded. Hopefully, I'll get some responses this time:

-----------------
Danny McManus was also involved in what could be the most famous drive ever in the 1994 WDF. That said, I don't recall there being much extreme sadness or anger in Greater Vancouver when the Lions released McManus in March of 1996 - at least not nearly to the same extent as when Lions fans found out that Doug Flutie would not be re-signing with the Lions in 1992. Overall, were you sad or angry that Danny McManus was not re-signed?

McManus eventually signed as a free agent with the Edmonton Eskimos in April 1996, and he would lead them to a Grey Cup appearance later that year. The Lions decided to take their chances on Andre Ware, who proved to be a disaster and was eventually replaced by the signing of Damon Allen. Does anybody remember whether the Lions offered McManus a contract extension or did they just release him on the spot? Does anybody recall why the Lions didn't make a greater effort to re-sign him? Could it be because he didn't get along with new owner Nelson Skalbania, President Mike McCarthy, or coach Joe Paopao?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

[quote="Robbie"]
but nobody responded. Hopefully, I'll get some responses this time:
quote]

I didn't respond because I didn't know. I thought they were good questions, I thought about them but.....
Or were you looking for opinions (I didn't think you were)? I try not to let facts get in the way of my opinions :wink: !