Explanation 2 D-linemen down

Serious Discussion of Football Terminology and Tactics.
This Room is named after the late Annis Stukus.

Moderator: Team Captains

Rookie

I've noticed that the ridres have done this a couple of times, but can someone explain to me this scheme where they have only two d-linemen down in the three point stnace about one foot apart from each other, and the rest of the line hovering tightly behind them. Is this something new or have they done this before? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks
Dan
Rookie

I noticed it also, and have never seen that before. I am no expert but it looked to me like it would be real easy to run on this type of formation. Can someone explain?
pennw
Legend

I believe BC did this too in the last game , but it was Wake and johnson that rushed the QB . I think the idea is to have maximum cover guys while the two rushers go allout to pressure the QB . For BC it did not work because both rushers were more than double teamed and Ray had all the time he needed to wait for a guy to get open . I'd rather see more pressure myself.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote: I think the idea is to have maximum cover guys while the two rushers go allout to pressure the QB . For BC it did not work because both rushers were more than double teamed and Ray had all the time he needed to wait for a guy to get open . I'd rather see more pressure myself.
:whs:
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
pennw wrote: I think the idea is to have maximum cover guys while the two rushers go allout to pressure the QB . For BC it did not work because both rushers were more than double teamed and Ray had all the time he needed to wait for a guy to get open . I'd rather see more pressure myself.
:whs:
Ritchie used to do this occasionally last season and even in 2006. Part of the concept is that the offence is not going to be sure which two will really rush. The other two defensive lineman drop into short zones and also have quarterback coverage should he take off with the football.

It really is an extreme version of the zone blitz!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)