The Defensive Line--Where Championships Are Won!!!!

Serious Discussion of Football Terminology and Tactics.
This Room is named after the late Annis Stukus.

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

They say that defenses win championships!! :bc: If we agree that notion to be essentially true for most seasons.... then it is the defensive line that is such a key to those championships. :thup: The defensive line is the key to shut down a team's running game, forcing them into a one dimensional offence. The defensive line is also the key to shutting down an opposition's passing offence. Pressure kills! It can make a great quarterback look ordinary and a good quarterback looks awful!!

A lot of focus on the pass rush is always focused on the defensive end position and in particular the rush end position. These players most often lead their team in quarterback sacks and therefore get more attention from both the fans and the press. However, it's at the defensive tackle position, that a championship team is built from. A championship defense first has to shut down the run against a balanced offence.... and the run gets shutdown best by the defensive tackle position and not the defensive end or linebacker position.

A championship team also needs inside penetration and pressure from the defensive tackle position on the quarterback. It can't do it from just defensive end pressure alone. If not a quarterback can sit in the pocket all day and the offence can double a rush end with a running back. However, having four players, two defensive tackles and two defensive ends that can play the run effectively, while also consistently pressuring the quarterback, provides all kinds of opportunities for a defense to create turnovers.

Pressure hurts a quarterback's decision making process, forces an oppostiion offence away from the things they like to do most, creates errant passes that can be picked off, and forces hurried throws that tend to be telegraphed.

Our Leos defensive line has been anchored in the past by Brent Johnson and Ty Williams. Last season we added Hunt to the mix and he's been a tremendous addition. This season we brought in Cameron Wake and he is presently leading the league in sacks and has twice as many tackles as his predecessor. Ricky Foley backs up at defensive end and while his game reps have been limited he has looked impressive during his brief stints. Matt Kirk backs up at tackle....he's light for a defensive tackle but he has always played well when he's been needed.

Let's have a closer look at defensive line play!!

DEFENSIVE LINE TECHNIQUES :helmet:

In the last few years, it has become more common to refer to some defensive linemen as a 3 Technique tackle. However, the question that begs is "What is a 3 Technique tackle? It means a defensive tackle that lines up on the outside shoulder of the guard, in the guard/tackle gap. However, it requires a more detailed look.

The “techniqueâ€
Last edited by Blitz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since the defensive line is so important, is the defensive captain usually selected from someone on the defensive line?

I wonder if there's a trend between a player selected as defensive captain and his position.

I know that in 1991, Stewart Hill was the Lions defensive captain and he was on the defensive line. That was a good free agent signing from the Eskimos but only short term as he didn't serve the Lions nearly as long as the player who got away to Edmonton, Willie Pless, as Hill left after two seasons.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great stuff, Blitz.

Even those that have coached some high school or community football like myself find your articles very advanced and informative. Most coaching clinics with pro coaches as speakers don't usually give such detail.

Thanks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I better come back and reread the article a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time to fully comprehend what Blitz is saying.
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks West Coast Joe. It's good to recognize how complex pro football is and we really haven't even scratched the surface yet, in terms of the subtle parts of the game that often go unnoticed.

It was great to see our Leos use Foley in the rotation tonight. Right now I wish they would rotate him in for Brent Johnson more, rather than Wake!

I watched Wake a lot tonight against Calgary and this guy is more than the real deal. What an impressive athlete who combines power, speed, and trmendous pursuit and hustle!! The guy makes plays and not just from the pass rush. He crashed down tonight so effectively and he also made some huge hustle plays. He can really cover a lot of ground in a hurry and he plays very, very hard and never takes a play off!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)