Overtime - Take first or second possession?

Serious Discussion of Football Terminology and Tactics.
This Room is named after the late Annis Stukus.

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of this recent thread about overtime in the CFL, let's discuss some overtime strategies.

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=13463

First, can someone clarify, how is the order of possession determined in overtime? I'm quite sure that unlike baseball, the home team does not always have last possession. In the recent game in Calgary, the Lions were the visiting team and they had second possession in the first overtime, while we all remember that they had second possession in the 2004 WDF.

So is the order of possession in overtime determined by a coin toss? And if it is determined by coin toss, then does the team winning the toss determine whether they want first or second possession in the first overtime?

That said, is it more advantageous to take first or second possession in the first overtime?

I think the more common answer is that it is more advantageous to take second possession because that gives you more options, depending on how your opponent does with their first possession. If they score a touchdown, then of course you need a TD to tie. But if they score a field goal, then you can either choose to attempt a tie with a field goal of your own, or go for a TD for win. And if they score no points or just a single, then obviously a successful field goal can win it, as demonstrated in the 2004 WDF. In a game in September 2006 in Saskatchewan, after the Roughriders failed to score any points on their first possession, Buono attempted to punt for a single which failed as it was successfully returned out of the end zone.

Having said all that, are there any advantages of choosing to take first possession in overtime?

Here are my thoughts:

1. More incentive to go for a touchdown.
2. If a TD is scored, the defence can make some strategies to protect against TD's only once the opponent goes on offence.
3. If double overtime is required, then the team will have last possession.

In the NFL, one would think that the team that receives the ball first has a definitive advantage, but statistics doesn't seem to confirm a strong correlation between the team with first possession and the team that wins the overtime game.

Ever since the CFL adopted its current format, I wonder if there is any strong trend and correlation between having second possession in overtime and winning the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Second possession
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

2nd possession since you then know what score you have to achieve. If your defense comes up brilliantly, they steal the ball via turnover and all you need is a single.

Technically the defense could score and the game is over.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:steal the ball via turnover and all you need is a single.
But as demonstrated by Paul McCallum in the September 2006 OT game against Saskatchewan, getting a single may be more difficult than getting a field goal.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

2nd possession. You know what you need and can take 3 downs if that is what it takes.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.