Slightly OT...

Photo Gallery of some of BC's Hottest young women ... the FeLions!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/23/nfl-bans-cheerleaders-from-flaunting-it-in-front-of-visiting-pla/ wrote:
NFL Bans Cheerleaders From Flaunting It in Front of Visiting Players

Michael David Smith
Posted Sep 23rd 2007 12:19PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Gossip, NFL Rumors, Featured Stories, The Word

CBS NFL analyst Charlie Casserly reported on today's pregame show that the NFL sent a memo to all 32 teams last week informing them that home teams are not permitted to tell their cheerleaders to warm up, stretch, or otherwise do anything in front of the visiting team's bench that might distract the players before the game.

Apparently there were concerns around the league that some teams had specifically told their cheerleading units to warm up prior to the game right in front of the visiting team, in hopes that the visiting team's players would be too distracted checking out the cheerleaders to pay attention to their coaches' pregame instructions.

No word on whether it's legal to videotape the opposing team's cheerleaders.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

talk about wtf hey lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
MacNews
Team Captain

Not to NFL bash but the NFL-size field is not that big, IMO, and with 2 teams warming up on it there is not that much room. But I'm sure the cheerleaders have a large dressing room of their own.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A memo to all 32 teams? I guess the NFL forgot that seven of their teams don't have cheerleaders.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:A memo to all 32 teams? I guess the NFL forgot that seven of their teams don't have cheerleaders.
You know what, Robbie? You're probably the only one in the entire human race who knows that.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Charlene

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:A memo to all 32 teams? I guess the NFL forgot that seven of their teams don't have cheerleaders.
You know what, Robbie? You're probably the only one in the entire human race who knows that.
hahaha, i was thinking the same thing!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
He's the only one in this country that knows that, and he's probably the only one in North America that cares................
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Charlene wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
hahaha, i was thinking the same thing!
Well, I'm certainly not the author of this AP article:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 303S35.DTL

And I did not write the portion in Wikipedia about seven NFL teams not having cheerleaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Cheerleader_Playoffs

This is not my personal blog:
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/pups4sale/44311

And there is no reason for me to post on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers forum:
http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?p=2330985
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Relax, Robbie, we're only funnin' ya...

But to humour your point... you seem to be implying they needn't have bothered sending memos to those seven teams, but what if those clubs get cheerleaders next year? Why not just be proactive and address the issue leaguewide in one fell swoop?

Besides, it's easier to send an email to everyone@nfl.com than to pick and choose (correctly) the relevant addressees which are a great majority of that list anyway (I'm perhaps oversimplifying the logistics here, but you get the picture).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Okay, sj-roc, no problems here. :yes:

It's possible that the seven teams may have cheerleaders in the future, but it's likely that the management of those seven teams may just throw away the memo and forget about them since it doesn't pertain to them the least bit at this moment.
the only one in North America that cares
Well, I'm sure if you ask all the guys living in these seven NFL cities (large NYC can count as two cities), you are bound to find some who will say they are jealous that guys in other NFL cities have cheerleaders to look at, and they won't be able to buy cheerleader calendars of their own teams, etc.

Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
New York Giants
New York Jets
Pittsburgh Steelers
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Okay, sj-roc, no problems here. :yes:

It's possible that the seven teams may have cheerleaders in the future, but it's likely that the management of those seven teams may just throw away the memo and forget about them since it doesn't pertain to them the least bit at this moment.
At their peril. They won't be able to plead ignorance -- and that's the point.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Whoa, calm down there.

Jeez, you take yourself way too seriously.
MacNews
Team Captain

That is interesting I had no idea a football team, let-alone an NFL team would not have a cheerleading squad. Hey Robbie, did you find out why? I mean what are the fans supposed to look at... :wink:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

um.... i dont know ...*looks around*.... um ... the GAME lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:That is interesting I had no idea a football team, let-alone an NFL team would not have a cheerleading squad. Hey Robbie, did you find out why? I mean what are the fans supposed to look at... :wink:
That was discussed before on this thread:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... 1&start=75

Some people suggested it's because of the very cold weather in those cities during the winter. But other cold cities such as Buffalo and Cincinnati still have cheerleaders, and Detroit plays in an indoor stadium yet they still don't have cheerleaders. I guess in the end it comes down to a funding issue.