Official 2006 Vancouver Whitecaps Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the CFL Forum, there is a post about the Lions pre-season game being 43 days away. But we don't have to wait that long to cheer for another local team whose season opening is today - the Vancouver Whitecaps! That's the men's team. The women's team will have their home opener on May 13.

Who is planning to attend the season opener? Unfortunately for the Whitecaps and their indecisive fans, even though the Canucks' season is over and the Lions' season hasn't started yet, there is still some competition in the form of the Vancouver Giants playing in their game 2 on Saturday night. Which one to attend? :?

Anyways, any thoughts and predictions on the Whitecaps this season?

------------------------------------------------------
April 20, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps Men?s team kicks off their 2006 campaign this Saturday versus long-time rivals the Portland Timbers at Swangard Stadium, 7:00pm. Less than 1,000 tickets remain for Saturday?s home opener.

?We have had a very busy off-season and are ready and excited about the start of a new season,? said Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi. ?The squad looks very strong and ticket sales have been great. In addition to the large crowd for Saturday?s tilt we anticipate a strong turnout throughout the season with over 2,100 season ticket equivalents, which includes a 200 per cent increase in new season ticket sales.?

The Opponent ? Portland Timbers

The Timbers come to Vancouver with a roster which includes the return of their top players from 2005, Mexican striker Byron Alvarez, playmaker Hugh Alcaraz-Cuellar and United Soccer League First Division All-League defender Scot Thompson; however, new head coach, Chris Agnello has changed much of the supporting cast. One of the more notable additions is attacking midfielder Luke Kreamalmeyer who played for Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer in 2005.

Opening Night Entertainment

In addition to the action on the pitch, there will be a ton of activity on the concourse throughout the evening. CirKids, a circus of storytelling, imagination, and performance that includes a blend of traditional circus arts with athletics, dance and theatre, will perform pre-game, half-time and post-game. Local band Troys ?R Us will also be rocking Swangard prior to kick off and at half-time. Finally, following the match fans are encouraged to stay for the third annual post-game fireworks.

Make sure to bring your sunscreen. The forecast calls for sunny skies, fantastic entertainment and exciting soccer!

Ticket Information

Individual tickets are available at all Ticketmaster Ticket Centres, on-line at ticketmaster.ca or by phone at 604.280.4400. Individual tickets start at just $16, or secure a Family Pack with four tickets and two McDonald?s extra value meals from just $49.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun May 07, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D
Team Captain

PS ..... there will be a world cup soccer pool at 13thman ..... http://www.13thman.com/cheers/fsports.php just select world cup soccer from the drop down menu 8)

Go Caps :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So how many of you made it to the Whitecaps season opener tonight? Or did you opt for the Giants game instead? I suppose regardless of which game you attended, you were satisfied as Vancouver won in both cases.

Congratulations to the Whitecaps for starting the 2006 season on the right foot with their 1-0 win over the Portland Timbers.

--------------------------------------------------------------
CAPS CUT DOWN PORTLAND 1-0

Vancouver Whitecaps 1
Portland Timbers 0

Saturday, April 22, 2006
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 5,722)

Overview:
The Whitecaps opened their 2006 campaign with a bang, as they downed the Portland Timbers 1-0 in front of a sold-out crowd of 5,722 at Swangard Stadium.

Striker Joey Gjertsen netted the game's only goal, in a first half that was dominated by Vancouver.

Goalkeeper Josh Wicks made four saves on seven shots to earn the shutout. It was Vancouver's fifth straight home opener in which they have blanked the opposition.

After the game, the crowd was treated to a spectacular fireworks show.

Next up for the Caps is the Toronto Lynx, who come to town on Saturday, April 29, in a 7:00 PM start at Swangard.

Scoring Summary:

17' Vanc Joey Gjertsen (Jason Jordan)
Gjertsen picked up the ball from Jordan and then weaved his way through the Portland defence before side-footing the ball past Timbers keeper Josh Saunders from 10 yards.

Game Notes:
Vancouver out-shot Portland 9-1 in the first half. The 2005 league MVP Jason Jordan was soon back to his old tricks, as just six minutes in he turned in the box, then danced around the goalkeeper only for his sharp-angle shot to be blocked on the line by defender Lee Morrison. At 12' Jordan did well to win a header in the box, but sent it just wide, with the keeper stranded.

Portland had a penalty appeal at 42' after Troy Ready went down in the box after incidental contact with goalkeeper Josh Wicks. Instead though referee Steve De Piero gave the Portland player a yellow card for diving.

The Timbers made a game of it in the second half, and at 55' finally tested Wicks with a serious shot. However, Drew McAthy's blast from 15 yards was right at the Vancouver keeper.

Six new signings made their Whitecaps debut: midfielder Jay Alberts and defender Adrian Cann got the start, while David Testo, Anthony Noreiga, Sita-Taty Matondo, and Tony Donatelli all came on as subs.

This game counts towards the Cascadia Cup standings, the fan-sponsored competition between Vancouver, Seattle and Portland. The Whitecaps are the two-time defending Cascadia Cup champions.

The Caps have six wins and two ties against Portland in their last eight meetings. The Whitecaps are now 10-1-1 against the Timbers at Swangard all-time.

Midfielder Martin Nash is on a 37-game consecutive game streak, spanning three seasons.

Whitecaps: 0.Josh Wicks - 12.Geordie Lyall, 3.Steve Klein, 4.Adrian Cann, 8.Steve Kindel - 6.Jay Alberts (20.Dave Morris 45'), 2.Jeff Clarke, 7.Martin Nash (25.Anthony Noreiga 90'), 9.Alfredo Valente (14.Tony Donatelli 62?) - 17.Joey Gjertsen (11.David Testo 78'), 26.Jason Jordan (19.Sita-Taty Matondo 87')

Portland: 31.Josh Saunders - 17.Scot Thompson, 2.Jacobi Goodfellow, 4.Lee Morrison - 26.Michael Nsien, 8.Edwin Miranda, 10.Luke Kreamalmeyer, 7.Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar, 6.Tom Poltl - 12.Sergio I?iguez (19.Troy Ready 25'; 9.Oral Bullen 76')

Shots: Vancouver 13 Portland 7
Saves: Vancouver 4 Portland 1
Fouls: Vancouver 13 Portland 17
Offside: Vancouver 1 Portland 0
Corner Kicks: Vancouver 7 Portland 1

Referee: Steve De Piero

Cautions:
Vancouver: Klein 75'
Portland: Ready 42', Cuellar 77'
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I've changed the subject line of this thread to better reflect its purpose. The Whitecaps men have started the season fairly well with 2 wins and a tie. Let's use this thread to share stories and experiences of both the Whitecaps Men and Women this season.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rosette will be performing at the Whitecaps Women's home opener on Saturday, May 13:

May 10, 2006 - International pop music star Rosette will perform at the Whitecaps Women's Home Opener this Saturday. Rosette is currently the #3 artist in Canada with two top ten hits - "UH OH" and "Crushed".

A 21-year-old Canadian beauty, Rosette has been singing, dancing, and acting since the age of 5. Growing up in Vancouver, Canada, Rosette has lived through her share of trials and tribulations, to which she accredits to her natural writing ability. ?I try and write about what is real. If I?m going through something, I tend to use songwriting as my therapy. If I?m feeling good and I wanna dance, then I express myself through my party side. It?s important for me to express all of my emotions.?

After a year and a half of recording internationally with mega writer/producers such as Just Blaze (Lenny Kravitz, Jay Z), Steve Kipner (Natasha Bedingfield, Christina Aguilera), and Canada?s own BananaToons (Kelly Rowland, Jessica Simpson, Clay Aiken), Rosette?s debut album released on October 4th, 2005.

With numerous credits to her name, Rosette has defied all of the odds. From being a finalist on television?s ?PopStars: The One?, to guest starring roles in hit movies and series such as ?Scooby Doo?, ?Scary Movie?, and ?The L Word?, Rosette is destined for success. Fueled with sheer natural talent, amazing stage presence, unstoppable writing ability, and super model looks, Rosette has all of the ingredients to accomplish her goal? to make music that touches people.

[img]http://whitecapsfc.com.ismmedia.com/ISM ... g.300.jpeg[/img]
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to the Whitecaps women for starting off their season with a win.

-------------------------------------------------
CAPS DEFEAT SOUNDERS SAINTS 4-1

May 13, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4
Seattle Sounders Saints 1

Saturday, May 13, 2006
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 4,437)

Overview:

A record crowd of 4,437 came out to the Whitecaps home opener to watch the triumphant return of Christine Sinclair, and the Canadian soccer sensation did not disappoint. Sinclair scored two goals in first seven minutes to pace Vancouver to a 4-1 win. Veteran internationals Andrea Neil and Tiffeny Milbrett added to more quick goals early in the second-half, before Seattle scored a pretty goal of their own to ruin Sian Bagshawe's shutout.

The Whitecaps were without close to a dozen players through injuries and college commitments. Six players from the Whitecaps Reserves were called up to provide depth.

The Whitecaps next game is another home clash with the Sounders, this time a 4:00 p.m. start in the first half of a special Victoria Day Monday doubleheader on May 22. It will be followed at 7:00 p.m. by the Whitecaps Men taking on the Rochester Raging Rhinos. The men are also in action on Sunday, May 14 as they host the Minnesota Thunder, in a 7:00 p.m. start at Swangard Stadium.

Scoring Summary:

2' Vanc Christine Sinclair (Amber Allen)
Allen played a superb pass over the top, which Sinclair ran onto behind the defence, then rounded the keeper and rolled it into the net, one minute and 43 seconds in.

7' Vanc Christine Sinclair (Tiffeny Milbrett) Milbrett's corner from the right was headed in by Sinclair at the edge of the six-yard box for her second of the game.

47' Vanc Andrea Neil (Lindsay Rohla)
Rohla on the right sent a long ball into the box which Neil controlled with her first touch, looping the ball over her defender before turning and stabbing it into the goal from eight yards.

49' Vanc Tiffeny Milbrett
Milbrett stole the ball from Seattle defender Nicole Martinez at the top of the box, moved in, and then rifled it into the bottom left corner.

68' Seat Shuree Hyatt (Tafar Pulse)
A long diagonal ball into the box was neatly touched down by Pulse into the path of Hyatt who finished well.

Game Notes:
After a nervous start, and surrendering two quick goals, Seattle settled down and played fairly well. But two more quick Vancouver goals to start the second half put the result beyond any doubt.

Jodi-Ann Robinson and Kirsteen Buchan almost teamed up for a pretty goal for the Caps in the 80th minute, with Robinson's great cross resulting in a driven header from Buchan that whistled just wide.

Sian Bagshawe made a great save at 85' as she pushed wide a shot from good position by Seattle's Dani Bridges.

Five players made their Whitecaps league debut: veteran US international Tiffeny Milbrett and defender Erin Ramsey plus three players from the Reserves - midfielder Kirsteen Buchan, 17-year-old defender Eden Hingwing, and 16-year-old winger Rheanne Sleiman.

The Seattle goal was the first Vancouver has given up at home in their last six games.

Sinclair's last game for Vancouver was June 23, 2002, in a 7-0 win over the Fort Collins Force. She scored twice in that game as well.

The Whitecaps are on a 12-game regular season win streak.

Whitecaps: 1.Sian Bagshawe - 8.Erin Ramsey, 13.Martina Franko, 18.Eden Hingwing, 23.Lindsay Rohla - 5.Andrea Neil, 7.Ashley McGhee (29.Kirsteen Buchan 45'), 16.Sophie Schmidt - 12.Christine Sinclair, 14.Amber Allen (30.Rheanne Sleiman 45'), 25.Tiffeny Milbrett (22.Jodi-Ann Robinson
75')

Seattle: 1.Kelsey Rasmussen - 23.Kelli Smith (13.Zahra Lechak 54'), 22.Nicole Martinez, 19.Kelli Cronkite, 8.Cathy Roe - 16.Malia Arrant, 12.Michelle French, 11.Kelly Schweighart (10.Brooke Reece 54'; 15.Shannon Lovejoy 80'), 9.Tafara Pulse - 2.Chalise Baysa (20.Dani Bridges 54'), 4.Lyndsey Patterson (21.Shuree Hyatt 62')

Shots: Vancouver 21 Seattle 8
Saves: Vancouver 3 Seattle 6
Fouls: Vancouver 11 Seattle 5
Offside: Vancouver 3 Seattle 1
Corner Kicks: Vancouver 7 Seattle 5

Referee: Rene Parra

Cautions:
Vancouver: none
Seattle: none
CB123
Legend

Shows that there is a lot of interest in Soccer on this site when Robbie has 5 of the 6 posts lol
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:Shows that there is a lot of interest in Soccer on this site when Robbie has 5 of the 6 posts lol
Thanks for helping, CB123.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

There doesn't seem to be much interest in soccer at this level in this town period.
5,000 is a good crowd at Swangard, how are they ever going to get 15,000 in the new waterfront stadium, if it goes ahead.

I was at the Portland game and for awhile I almost fell asleep, I don't like Bob Lilley's coaching style, looks like more of the same as last season, when the caps get up a goal Lilley pulls everyone back and defends, BORING

I'm surprised Lenarduzzi hired Lilley cause 'duzzi likes attacking soccer and Lilley was and is known as a more defensive type coach.

I still like going to the games once in a while, we have a good team, but please play a more attacking game :cr:
Like back in the 86er days, that was great attacking soccer!

On a more positive note, the ladies rock. I'm looking forward to going to some ladies games this season. This team is stacked with talent and Sinclair is worth the price of a ticket alone. Kara Lang is one of my favs and they host the championship this year :thup:
Bighill is Badass
CB123
Legend

I was at the Portland game and for awhile I almost fell asleep
lol that happens to me every time I watch soccer.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So I guess none of you know or care that the Whitecaps men played very well tonight to win 3-0 over the Minnesota Thunder. :? :sigh:

------------------------------
WHITECAPS REMAIN purrfect AT HOME

May 14, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps 3
Minnesota Thunder 0

Sunday, May 14, 2006
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 4,556)

Overview:
The Whitecaps picked up their biggest win of the young season as they downed the Minnesota Thunder 3-0 to move back atop the USL First Division standings. Striker Joey Gjertsen paced the attack yet again, scoring a goal and setting up the winner by Alfredo Valente.

Former Newcastle United goalkeeper Tony Caig got the start to make his Whitecaps debut. Caig organized the defence well and was only required to make one save. Overall Vancouver?s back line had a strong game allowing just five shots.

The Whitecaps remain undefeated at 3-0-1 for 10 points, to sit atop the standings. Also undefeated are the Rochester Raging Rhinos at 3-0-0, and they will be Vancouver's next opponent in a top-of-the-table clash in a Victoria Day doubleheader on Monday, May 22 at Swangard. The action starts at 4:00 p.m. with the Women in a rematch with Seattle, followed at 7:00 p.m. by the Men taking on the Rhinos.

Scoring Summary:

20' Vanc Alfredo Valente (Joey Gjertsen) Alfredo Valente picked up the ball from Gjertsen in the box on the right, then did very well to make space for a shot before cracking a 15-yard left-footed rocket into the top left corner.

45' Vanc Joey Gjertsen (Martin Nash)
David Testo started the play, feeding a nice ball to Nash breaking into the box down the left. Nash was just to the left of the goal when he cut the ball back to Gjertsen at the top of the six yard box, and the tricky striker controlled the ball, cut inside his marker, and then fired it inside the right post for his third goal of the young season.

53' Vanc David Testo (Jason Jordan)
A quick free kick sent Jordan breaking into the box on the left, and his sweet centering pass was right into the stride of David Testo who first-timed his first goal as a Whitecaps from 10 yards.

Game Notes:
Joey Gjertsen had several other chances in the first half. He fired over the bar from the edge of the box at 9', put it high on a chance from in close at 12', and then at 20' from good position to the left of goal had an enterprising first-time volley blocked by a defender.

Minnesota's only shot on goal came at 18' when Matt Schmidt fired a low weak effort from 20 yards that gave Tony Caig no problem.

Vancouver out-shot Minnesota 7-1 in the first half.

The Thunder's best chance of the game came with a quarter hour to go as an acrobatic volley by defender Dustin Branan sailed wide of the near post.

Minnesota drop to 1-2-1 for four points. They tied the Sounders 1-1 in Seattle on Saturday.

Striker Joey Gjertsen was named UMBRO Player of the Game for the third consecutive home game. With three goals and an assist, he is now the USL First Division's leading scorer.

The Thunder have now lost 11 straight games in Vancouver dating back to 1998. The Whitecaps lead the overall series 13-8-2.

Midfielder Martin Nash has played 40 consecutive games, spanning three seasons.

Whitecaps: 1.Tony Caig - 3.Steve Klein, 8.Steve Kindel (22.John Jones 63'), 20.Dave Morris (6.Jay Alberts 61'), 25.Anthony Noreiga - 2.Jeff Clarke (14.Tony Donatelli 63'), 7.Martin Nash, 9.Alfredo Valente, 11.David Testo (13.Tino Cucca 79') - 26.Jason Jordan, 17.Joey Gjertsen (19.Sita-Taty Matondo 67')

Minnesota: 1.Nicolas Platter - 2.Brett Branan, 5.Chad Dombrowski, 6.Kevin Friedland (24.Zafer Kilickan 82'), 13.Dustin Branan - 3.Freddy Juarez, 15.Michael Wilson (7.Chris Brisson 55'), 21.Matt Schmidt (8.Nate Winkel 59'), 26.Terry Alvino - 9.Aaron Paye, 10.Nathan Knox (18.Melvin Tarley 70')

Shots: Vancouver 9 Minnesota 5
Saves: Vancouver 1 Minnesota 1
Fouls: Vancouver 12 Minnesota 10
Offside: Vancouver 1 Minnesota 3
Corner Kicks: Vancouver 2 Minnesota 3

Referee: Martin Reid

Cautions:
Vancouver: none
Minnesota: Dustin Branan 37'
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I went last night and was pleased to see the Whitecaps attack in the 2nd half, they played great.
Gjertsen is an excellent player, this is his 2nd season as a cap, allways hustles and looks like he should score a few goals.
I really like the looks of Sita Taty Montando and Noriega looks good to.

I was especially happy to hear a player interview on the way home and he said the Whitecaps are going to attack more this season, excellent!

Maybe Lenarduzzi had a word with Bob Lilley :wink:
Bighill is Badass
footy
All Star

I guess I should be checking this section more often but I'm a Swangard regular normally where the action is LOL the SouthSide good to see th Caps playing well but the loss in Seattle was a tough one team looked lost up front with Eddie Sbrango and JJ hurt but I guess we will see how they do tonight in Minnesota the game is on Mojo 730 err what ever they are called now they still will be on 730 am.

Cheers
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to the Vancouver Whitecaps Women - 2006 W-League Champions!

:wave: :wave:
:beauty: :wink: :beauty: :wink: :beauty: :wink:
:beer: :towel: :beer: :towel: :beer: :towel:
:rockin: :thup: :rockin: :thup: :rockin: :thup:
:yahoo: :) :yahoo: :) :yahoo: :)

Their 3-0 win over the Ottawa Fury has given the Whitecaps Women their second W-League championship in three seasons, having won in 2004 as well. That time, they won on the road. This time, they won at home at Swangard.

This fine squad might as well represent Team Canada in the Women's World Cup next year.

And perhaps as a reward for their second championship, the city should grant them that new Waterfront Stadium.
Rammer
Team Captain

I took in the game today, great day for a soccer game. :yes:

I haven't viewed any other games this season, but with all due to Ottawa, this one was not really a break sweat game for the lady Whitecaps. A cleanly played game before 4200+ fans and all seemed to enjoy the outcome. But with a score of 2 - 0 half time lead, the second haf was just putting in time to wait for the presentation. But congratulations ladies, you were and showed why you are the class of the league. :rockin:
Entertainment value = an all time low